The Order Of Takanuva's Alternate Universes

Something that was never clear to me is the order of Takanuva's alternate universe stories. As you probably know, Takanuva didn't go straight from Metru Nui to Karda Nui. Instead, Brutaka's damaged mask hurled him through different alternate dimensions. BS01 subscribes to this order: Journey of Takanuva, The Kingdom, then Dark Mirror, but I don't see why this order is so accepted (unless Greg said it, and that would make my whole following argument moot. ^_^ )Now I can't speak for "Journey of Takanuva," since I don't own it, but Dark Mirror and The Kingdom both seem to claim to come first. It's almost a "pick your favorite" situation, where you have to pick one and reject the other. But upon closer inspection, we can see that The Kingdom is more obviously the first dimension, while Dark Mirror is more subtle; It didn't have to come first. In fact, Takanuva has the power lance in Dark Mirror, so it has to be after The Kingdom. But where does Journey of Takanuva go? Since he had the Power Lance, shouldn't it be either be second or third? Yes. I don't know why it's often considered first in line. The Power Lance is pretty trivial yes, but it helps place the story. So this is what I put together:1. The Kingdom

• [*]Stated to have been sent into the interdimensions by Brutaka. Received the Power Lance here. At the end, Brutaka used his Olmak on Takanuva again.

2. Dark Mirror

• [*]Stated to have been sent by Brutaka (doesn't state which universe's Brutaka :) ) He has the Lance in this story. At the end, he leaves through a portal

3. Journey of Takanuva

• [*]??? I have little knowledge about this book. Maybe there is some reason inside it that would change my opinion? He has the Lance, which would seem to place it at the end. But I've seen the argument that it was first even though he had the Lance, since he had to look like the set for the book to be approved. For me this begs the question, "why does this story have to come first?" I've been unable to find any hints that it was the earliest story.

So what do you all think? Please enlighten me, because I really want to know how the general consensus came to be.

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

Found that in Greg Quotes:

12) Which came first, Dark Mirror or Journey of Takanuva?12) JoT happens before DM

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

He had to have his Lance in JoT so that it would go along with the 08 set, so you are right about that.But the book was written for a younger audience, so it didn't have anything in it that really added to the storyline. I think it did have a lesson in it, though I don't know what it was.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Hey, Journey of Takanuva's biggest fan here. JoT ends with the Spectral Hau opening a portal for Takanuva and giving him a word of advice:"It is the way you must travel, but beware—you may find that not everything is what it seems on your way. Remember, good and evil can be found in the deeds of others, not in their appearance."That sounds to me like a pretty obvious warning about Dark Mirror, but it's basically irrelevant for The Kingdom. That and the fact that Takanuva has his power lance already in JoT leads me to think that it went Kingdom > JoT > Dark Mirror, even if that's not the official explanation. It's official in my headcanon, at least.

12) Which came first, Dark Mirror or Journey of Takanuva?12) JoT happens before DM

Sounds like Greg had a plan here, so I'll accept it. But that doesn't explain why JoT has to be first. If there is no official explanation on that point, then I'm gonna have to reject the popular (BS01's) order and side with Wrinkledlion X. It wouldn't matter so much, but I'm trying to put my canon down with ink (pixels) for future reference.Hmm... Now I kind of want to buy Journey of Takanuva... Edited by Zestanor

How to Follow BIONICLE

So according to the Greg quote above then, Journey of Takanuva is definitely the first to occur of the three. That's from Greg, it's on the record. Considering the Power Lance is only in JoT for artistic license (and therefore non-canon) purposes, and that Takanuva won't receive it officially until The Kingdom, it makes sense. And because the first chapter of Dark Mirror vaguely references Takanuva enduring a journey that "had already been a rough one", not to mention that he begins Dark Mirror with the Power Lance in his possession, Dark Mirror would be the last of the three to occur.-Ced

I think you missed what I was trying to say- the Greg quote only confirms that JoT comes before Dark Mirror (which is third.) You see, the Lance issue puts holes in the popular order, but it strengthens mine: If JoT was after The Kingdom, he would have the Lance.

How to Follow BIONICLE

Cederak is right; Takanuva having the Power Lance in Journey of Takanuva is just artistic license.Here's a quote about that from this post in the archives:

You said that JOT takes place before The Kingdom, but Takanuva has his power lance in the story. Does this mean that it takes place after TK?

Yeah, that's case of author's license on my part -- basically, I don't expect the same audience that reads The Kingdom to read JOT, since JOT is for 5 year olds, so I didn't worry too much about maintaining continuity between those stories. TK in JOT had to match the 2008 product.
Also, here's a quote about the order of all three (from this archive post):

4.A. The order is kingdom, journey of taka, ane then DM, right?

No. It's JOT, Kingdom, then DM

So the order did come from Greg. With that in order, there's not much left to discuss here, so I'll close this topic. Edited by Ziko