This is kinda an obscure question, but I gots to know! Le-Koro was known for its musicians in MNOG. We saw a band playing drums, strings, but most baffling of all horns and flutes. My first question is HOW?! In my experience playing flute, you need to use your lips almost like whistling and then blow air with your tongue in a "tu-tu" pronunciation, while playing horn requires buzzing your lips together. I'm not questioning that Matoran have tongues or lips or anything, but... they do so while wearing masks. What sorcery is this?! D=Also, I wanted to know if there were any other references to music in the story. Lewa Nuva (in one of the early books) commented that nobody could be so cheerful and party like a le-matoran. Did they have music styles in Metru Nui as well? Can Lewa play an instrument? Do Skakdi know how to get down and break dance? Do Xians like to tango? ... I think I'm getting a bit far-fetched, but this has honestly been boggling my mind for a while now. XDEdit: Let me rephrase that last question a bit: Where do you think music fits into the Bionicle Universe? Is it a part of culture like ours? Do the matoran have a sort of respect for the arts like we do? Is it just ceremonial and do they have a different view on it as opposed to humans?

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Well, we know that Le-Matoran like to party. And, even though it's non-canon, the Piraka had a massive dance party at the end of Bionicle Heroes. Those are the only examples I can think of, but I'm sure that many places have music and can dance. Also, I'm sure that Le-Matoran aren't the only Matoran that can dance and play instruments.

Well, some of the masks seem to have mouth-like holes in them (and just about all of them have just plain mouths if you go by the movies), so that might be one way they play wind instruments. Or maybe the Le-Matoran have got just enough elemental power to force a little air through an instrument.As for music in the other villages, there's a pretty good chance it's there - it's just not an element of the culture we ever see. The Le-Matoran seem to have the run of it for the most part, though, and they're certainly the dancing kings of the island. (My theory? Matoran and Toa of Earth have two left feet, much to the Le-Matoran's amusement.)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Now, just because we play instruments a certian way, doesn't mean matoran have to. I mean, who known how those flutes work. Maybe they've got some sort of property of the wood that creates sound whenever air passes, or when air passes through a certian arrangement of the wood. Same with trumpets. The way it's built might be quite ingenious.On Mata Nui music is seen as more... worshipful. Like a sort of religous ceremony. It's unknown if matoran enjoy listening to music. The MNOLG seems to indicate that, but we haven't seen that anywhere else.(By the way, I love the Le-Matoran's dance moves)

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

MU inhabitants can and do respirate, considering all those drowning references and the Kaukau, so playing instruments is entirely possible. I think music styles may vary due to the nature of making music, which causes one type to branch off into more. Finally, I don't think they have dance in the MU. Music can motivate them, but when they drop their work and start breakdancing, then there is a problem.

aouROFb.png

Don't assume the instruments they were playing worked like ours either. How do you know they would? We don't know how they are made. It does at least make sense, though, that air would have to be confined to only escape out the other end of the ones they blow through, though, but the movies established pretty clearly that the masks conform to their mouths.Some masks would be difficult even with that, though, namely Noble Huna shape.We must also keep in mind MNOG is only semi-canon, though.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Don't assume the instruments they were playing worked like ours either. How do you know they would?

Hehe, well I do admit I saw this answer coming. It's nice to discuss the possibilities, though.Also, my logic was pretty much "If it looks like a flute, has fingerings like a flute, talks like a flute, is called a flute, then it sure as karzahni isn't played like a clarinet." XPThough, seeing what you guys are bringing up pretty much leads me to this understanding of how woodwind instruments work:-They likely do have air passing through them-Masks can conform to the face in most cases and thus they can work similarly to what I've mentioned above-Le Matoran are awesome dancersOkay, so that last point is a bit off, but I felt it was notable. In other words, the playing of woodwind instruments isn't as incredible as I had made it out to be. Still, I am also interested in what everyone thinks about how much culture music and dancing could be in the MU. I'm seeing some interesting points in the above posts.I personally don't think music and dancing is very popular myself. If anything, I think music would be involved more-so in sports and official events (such as Kohli or other sports as Lewa did at one point mention "A matoran marching band"). I wouldn't say it's all that ceremonial, though (maybe it was on Mata Nui, though :shrug: )Imagine what Le-Metru was like. Block parties with DJ bands grooving up something fierce. XD (This topic was in no way fabricated to suggest such a thing was canon in the Bionicle story. Like, zero percent chance of that being the case. Zip. Zilch. Nada). Though, were matoran the only ones who had music? I'd imagine in the more war-like areas that music probably wouldn't flourish as far as culture goes, but I still think it's an interesting thought to consider. Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

• 2 weeks later...

Don't assume the instruments they were playing worked like ours either. How do you know they would?

"If it looks like a flute, has fingerings like a flute, talks like a flute, is called a flute, then it sure as karzahni isn't played like a clarinet." XP
That made my day. I too play have played the flute. Interesting, though. The Matoran have plenty of traditions that just wouldn't really work out without some sort of music and we haven't really seen much at all expanded on this outside of the Le-Koro band.While this hardly qualifies as music, it still might be worth bringing this up while we were on the topic of such things: when the Rahkshi approach Ta-Koro in MoL, we see Ta-Koro guardsmen blowing battle horns or something like that. And while MNOG is technically semi-canon (though it will always be pure canon in oh-so-many of our hearts, mine included), MoL definitely was canon. The concept of wind instruments played by the Matoran is definitely in canon.Unless I completely imagined that scene. It's always possible considering it's been a good couple years since I last watched it I think. ...Oh yeah, it was that recent, wan't it? How many times have I watched MoL, LoM and WoS? At least I can keep count of TLR, that's twice. Anyway... :blink:

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.