Lightfall Art Collection

Maganar

To those of you coming here from the Epic Library where I introduced my epic Lightfall, I apologize for the delay. To those of you from General Art who found this browsing, you never heard me promise to put this up soon, so I don't think you care. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gif Wherever you hail from, let me explain what these are.I built MOCs of some of my characters from the epic Lightfall, but I realized not everything turned out how I meant for it to. Other things (like the modified Cordak blaster belonging to the Xian Guftivei) were impossible to reproduce with Bionicle components. Since I'm not bad with graphite, I took a Derwent graphic pencil, some drawing paper, and made a couple characters take shape on paper. The thought occured to me that I could also give computer-generated art a try. This is my first attempt. I'm quite adept with Photoshop for image-editing purposes, but I've never before tried make artwork in it. I chose to leave my sketches as line art and completely forgo any shading. Instead, I scanned them, put them in Adobe Photoshop and cleaned them up. Then I colorized them and shaded them in that CG environment.The first is Toa of Fire Tignioni. His MOC came out how it was supposed to, and I was both a little out of practice with my drawing skills and brand-new to CG artwork, so I did him first since I had an easy reference to go by. I also made it a straight on view, cheating by making it as easy as possible. It was a good starting point for all these rusty skills and new ideas. Hey, his Mahiki is actually a Great Mahiki now (not the Noble one on the MOC)!This is the original sketch.Here it is after being cleaned up in Photoshop.Here is the final image.Now, the Toa of Psionics Imegna was a train-wreck of a MOC. Well, the MOC wasn't badly made, it just didn't look anything like I meant for the character to look like. This was where it was necessary to use what I had learned from Tignioni to actually make a representation that was reminescent of the character in my head. A more complicated pose, little reference material, and similar things made this a more challenging task. Ironically, I feel it came out better. I guess my drawing of Tignioni served its purpose and got me back on track so I could actually make something more decent with this one. I am showing more intermediate steps on this image. Hey, her Suletu is actually a Suletu now (not that miserable Ruru on the MOC)!This is the original sketch.Here it is after being cleaned up in Photoshop.Here it is in color.Here it is after a filter.Here is the final image.I have a sketch and schematic diagram of the Xian Guftivei's modified Cordak blaster ready. Unfortunately, I haven't scanned it. I'll put it on Brickshelf and deep-link it tomorrow, but I don't have a scanner where I am today. Having some scanner difficulties after a reformat on the computer hooked up to it. I'll put it up...whenever I have a working solution for that problem.I have a sketch of Guftivei himself as well. This is the most ambitious yet. In-action pose, zero reference material, and with many body parts based off of hybridizations between existing Bionicle components. However, this has led to a drawback. I'm stuck on his legs. He is a wonderful but completely leg-less sketch :confused: . I'll get around to sorting that out eventually. When I do I'll scan and show you the sketch. Then I'll start my Photoshop work on him.I made this an art collection topic so I can put up more images later when I get around to drawing them. I hope you like what I have for now! And here's a little bonus treat for ready this massive opening post: a quick little (and terribly cheesy) comic I sketched in fifteen minutes one day. Thanks for stopping by!If you want to know more about Lightfall, my review topic is its central hub.

Edited by Maganar

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

:kaukau: Sadly, at first I thought that this was going to be a picture of a waterfall made of light and laser lines, which would have ben freakin' epic. However, I suppose this isn't bad. Personally I don't think it does as much as just posting pictures of the MOCs (which I assume you did already), but I do like that you showed all the stages that this went through. I'm interested in how art is made.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Sadly, at first I thought that this was going to be a picture of a waterfall made of light and laser lines, which would have ben freakin' epic. However, I suppose this isn't bad.

I laughed out loud at that. Sorry for the confusion.

Personally I don't think it does as much as just posting pictures of the MOCs (which I assume you did already), but I do like that you showed all the stages that this went through. I'm interested in how art is made.

Actually, I was posting all subsidiary topics at once today and I did this one first. So actually, no, the MOCs were not posted at the time of putting this up, but now they are right here. As I said, though, Imegna's MOC doesn't look anything like my vision of the character. I felt this was necessary. Additionally, the stuff I couldn't do (modified Cordak blaster and hybridized pieces, coming up soon) this was definitely necessary if I wanted a visual representation.I'm glad you liked seeing the WIP images. I had some fun with these and I hope that it was educational since you are interested in that sort of thing.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.