:kaukau: This topic, by the way, could be used to discuss the comic just as well as the movie.Anyway, I saw it today and concur that it was awesome, and of the movies leading up to it, it was certainly the best. It looks like they truly were building up to something grander then all the rest combined. My congratulations go to the ensemble cast, their surprising chemistry, the humor, the suspense, and the climactic battle scene.Remember to use spoiler tags where necessary. For those of you who have to avoid the spoiler tags, do yourself a favor and watch the film. This has definitely been the best superhero film in a while, up there with the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy and the cheesy-yet-lovable Superman II.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

It was an amazing movie, although it felt like it was leaning towards being Iron Man 2.5 a little bit, with Stark being probably the most prominent of the avengers, and the fact that Nick Fury, Black Widow, and S.H.I.E.L.D. being somewhat important in IM2. That and Stark Tower was kinda important.Now I want to see Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk.

Make sure you watch The Incredible Hulk, with Ed Norton -- there was another movie just called The Hulk before that one that wasn't really all that good. Incredible Hulk is better and the one that fits into the Avengers continuity.I had a great time seeing this. It wasn't life-changing, but it was a fun, fun movie. Tom Hiddleston needs to be in more stuff, too, I loved him in Thor and he was just as great in Avengers. Also, anyone know who that guy was during the first post-credits scene? Speaking of which, for those of you who haven't seen it yet (or have and are going to see it again), stick around, there's two extra scenes: One after the initial credits when it flashes lead actors and writers/director, and another at the very end of the rest of the credits.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Fantastic comic series as well as a movie. It's a shame Sony owns the movie rights to Spider-Man (since the current crop of Marvel movies generally seems to be inspired by the Ultimate continuity), but that also looks like a good movie anyway =P.Anyhow, right before seeing the movie I actually re-read some of the Infinity Gauntlet series in B&N, so it was nice to think we might get a nod to that (and maybe that Loki's staff was powered by blue).

I had a great time seeing this. It wasn't life-changing, but it was a fun, fun movie. Tom Hiddleston needs to be in more stuff, too, I loved him in Thor and he was just as great in Avengers. Also, anyone know who that guy was during the first post-credits scene?

It's Thanos.

Speaking of which, for those of you who haven't seen it yet (or have and are going to see it again), stick around, there's two extra scenes: One after the initial credits when it flashes lead actors and writers/director, and another at the very end of the rest of the credits.

You know, I didn't actually see the second one, and we stuck around; I'll try again next week, when I'm going to see it again anyway. Edited by Dorek

Speaking of which, for those of you who haven't seen it yet (or have and are going to see it again), stick around, there's two extra scenes: One after the initial credits when it flashes lead actors and writers/director, and another at the very end of the rest of the credits.

You know, I didn't actually see the second one, and we stuck around; I'll try again next week, when I'm going to see it again anyway.
I hear that the second ending is only for the US version.

Anyway, I saw the movie yesterday with some friends and enjoyed every moment of it, especially the last half-hour. Hulk ended up being possibly my favorite character out of the whole bunch.

It was just the fact that all of them except Stark and Banner were still in their costumes, and it's dragged out into this hilariously awkward silence for a full minute or so lol. Also, no idea who Thanos is, but he reminded me a little of Darkseid when I saw him.

rahkshi_symbol.png

Yeah, I'm in the US, but s'all good. I'll see it next time.Also, did nobody find the visual joke of Tony's t-shirt as hilarious as I did? I'm not really sure how many people caught it, even =P

Anyhow, yeah, Thanos. Scary dude, all things considered. I didn't think we were going that high up on the totem in terms of Marvel villains, but hey, he'll make an interesting opponent for Avengers 2 or wherever he next shows up (theoretically Thor 2, but realistically Avengers 2). Sounds like we'll be getting a story inspired by the Infinity Gems, but they could go a different way with it.

What was the visual joke?

My sister thinks the guy in the first post-credits scene is Redskull, no matter how hard I tried to convince her he was dead during WWII and could never get that far into space.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

Pretty sure that in the Marvel Studios continuity, the press took the name because of the song and Tony just ran with it.I loved how Loki mentions "Unlimited Power" to Nick Fury. Yes. To Samuel L. Jackson. And his reaction is perfect.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

For those wondering if Thanos at the end meaning an Infinity Gauntlet storyline, we did see a Gauntlet prop at a ComicCon around the time Thor was getting publicity. There was a cabinet showing off Thor, Odin and Loki's helmets, with the Infinity Gauntlet nestled underneath them all.Plus the fact that its Thanos and thats his key story :P

Edited by Armageddon Out Of Here

7AOYGDJ.jpg

:kaukau: I caught the Black Sabbath joke and laughed. I didn't catch the unlimited power reference, but I'll keep it in mind next time I see the film (which will probably be on DVD). That's supposed to be a Star Wars reference, right?

It was an amazing movie, although it felt like it was leaning towards being Iron Man 2.5 a little bit, with Stark being probably the most prominent of the avengers, and the fact that Nick Fury, Black Widow, and S.H.I.E.L.D. being somewhat important in IM2. That and Stark Tower was kinda important.Now I want to see Thor, Captain America, and the Hulk.

I was actually afraid that this would be Thor 1.5, considering that it was importing Loki as its lead villain, and Iron Man 2 had more of The Avengers being shipped into it than the other way around. I think it was a basis for them to establish characters like Black Widow without having to make a whole separate film for her. Thor, by the way, has Hawkeye show up, as well as the scientist in The Avengers. Captain America is important for its introduction of the tesseract, so there's another major import, although I might add that this particular detail had me worried again that the movie would be mostly about Thor.I think the way you perceived the film was definitely altered by only seeing the Iron Man films, because I've seen all the others and everybody seemed to be the lead character in some way. I don't feel that Tony Stark was the lead, although they had originally tried to write it that way before realizing that the ensemble cast was much better. What extra attention Tony Stark gets, being the first and last hero onscreen (unless you're considering Hawkeye) was probably due to him being the head of the Avengers in the comics.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

I saw this movie last night, and I am so happy that I did.I have yet to see The Incredible Hulk or either of the Iron Man movies, but I still know enough about them. The Avengers did a great job of tying all the storylines together, and it was generally awesome. I like how they had development of more than just the main four heroes (what with Widow and Fury), and the visual effects were beautiful.Yeah yeah, cookie-cutter fanboy post, but whatever. XDAlso, so many amazing quotes.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

I should go drop a few over there. XDBut anyways, one of my only complaints was that the enemies had rather horrid Stormtrooper syndrome at points. But eh, it's a super hero movie, so whatever.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

I loved this film, and I am definitely planning to go see it again. And after having seen the films leading up to it, this one still seemed like Iron Man and Friends. Although, I must admit that everyone got a decent amount of screen time.

What I especially like about this film is that it didn't take itself too seriously. One of my faults with some superhero films is that they make themselves too dark and realistic, but with The Avengers, it's a film about blimmin' comic characters, and it knows it. It had that nice balance of seriousness, humour and pure fun that a lot of superhero films lack nowadays.

:kaukau: That's actually what I loved about Superman II. Against all odds, it remains my favorite superhero film of all time, but that's okay. I loved the fun, positive, and sentimental spirit. The Avengers has that too, but I'll definitely give them credit especially on the side of just taking all the great comic book ideas out there and turning them into a magnifiscent adventure. There's a definite difference between this and films like Superman in that in The Avengers there's so much going on that I doubt I caught it all the first time around.By the way, in my gym class today someone thought that the movie was over three hours long, even though it was less than two and a half. It took a while to convince her, but I guess that's a testament to just how much happened in that movie without feeling rushed.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

I should go drop a few over there. XDBut anyways, one of my only complaints was that the enemies had rather horrid Stormtrooper syndrome at points. But eh, it's a super hero movie, so whatever.

In the Chitauri's defence they may not be used to operating under our gravity and atmospheric pressures. Look how they just fly straight in from outer space on the other side of the portal

7AOYGDJ.jpg

:kaukau: By the way, in my gym class today someone thought that the movie was over three hours long, even though it was less than two and a half. It took a while to convince her, but I guess that's a testament to just how much happened in that movie without feeling rushed.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

Funnily enough, the original cut of the film was over three hours long :P There was quite a bit of deleted footage (which, no doubt, will be on the DVD), two scenes of which involved the Cap adjusting to the modern world.

What I especially like about this film is that it didn't take itself too seriously. One of my faults with some superhero films is that they make themselves too dark and realistic, but with The Avengers, it's a film about blimmin' comic characters, and it knows it. It had that nice balance of seriousness, humour and pure fun that a lot of superhero films lack nowadays.

Yeah, I kinda liked that too. You know that there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief to be had in any comic book movie, but the MCU movies slowly started out with the whole "grounded in science" shtick. Thor kinda broke that style a little bit, but Avengers just went off the wall with the whole thing, and it actually feels richer for the experience. Edited by Dorek

I thought the movie was very good, but I felt we were thrown into the plot too quickly. Also, having a punchline after EVERY scene didn't work.Also, the 3D transfer was terrible. It made my head hurt and I think I might have gone cross-eyed at one point trying to focus.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

The review on my blog pretty much sums up my thoughts on the film, though I will mention here that Mark Ruffalo as Banner was brilliant. I'm very happy with the screentime he was given, as he's better in smaller doses, but he is a fantastic Banner and I hope we get to see him some more in the upcoming Marvel films.-ibrow

Well, Avengers 2 has been confirmed. Absolutely no surprise, with it's record-breaking weekend.And the comedy element in it was awesome. The whole theater was cracking up for a good bit of the movie, due to all the punch lines and one-liners.

all the punch lines

Some more literal than others.Having only seen Iron Man 1 & 2, I thought they gave a good amount of time to each character. Maybe that's just because I was expecting it to be "Iron Man and Friends", but really it seemed pretty balanced. It also gave some variety to the characters. I'm not as into the concept of a Thor, Hulk, or Captain America movie as I am about Iron Man (I mean they're all cool, but I wouldn't enjoy 2+ hours of them as much), but put together they can alternate so none of it seems as one-note.Oh and I loved this movie.Also Hawkeye is best Avenger.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Saw it on Friday in 2D. It was amazing, I thought Hulk was a complete boss for reasons you would know if you saw the movie. Kind of felt he took a bit of a bad side in the beginning while they were all on the Helicarrier (Black Widow and Thor) but later he really came through later.

Also, having a punchline after EVERY scene didn't work.

Kinda did, 'cause they were funny. There were no embarassing moments where the humour was forced. All flowed nice.
Sure, they were funny, but some were completely out of place. Like

Hulk punching Thor after they both took down the snake-thing together. What if Hulk had actually hurt Thor? What if he had killed him? That wouldn't have been very funny.

Kinda did, 'cause they were funny. There were no embarassing moments where the humour was forced. All flowed nice.

Hulk punching Thor after they both took down the snake-thing together. What if Hulk had actually hurt Thor? What if he had killed him? That wouldn't have been very funny.

I actually liked that moment, and not just for the comedic value. I had just started thinking "why is Hulk being so incredibly focused and helpful?", and then he proved that he was still very volatile, and there would still be issues to resolve with that if it ever came up. He's not suddenly and uncharacteristically a real superhero, because at that point he's too overpowered with no real checks or balances. There will always be that edge to him, that cautious shield that others will treat him with. That punch came at the perfect moment, for me.

Ruffalo was surprisingly decent as the Hulk, but I'm such an Edward Norton fanboy that I'm pretty sure he could have fit in the movie better.-Teezy

Yeah, that is sad, but it's a thing at this point =P. I did like Ed Norton in the role. Edited by Dorek

I actually liked that moment, and not just for the comedic value. I had just started thinking "why is Hulk being so incredibly focused and helpful?", and then he proved that he was still very volatile, and there would still be issues to resolve with that if it ever came up. He's not suddenly and uncharacteristically a real superhero, because at that point he's too overpowered with no real checks or balances. There will always be that edge to him, that cautious shield that others will treat him with. That punch came at the perfect moment, for me.

Ruffalo was surprisingly decent as the Hulk, but I'm such an Edward Norton fanboy that I'm pretty sure he could have fit in the movie better.-Teezy

Yeah, that is sad, but it's a thing at this point =P. I did like Ed Norton in the role.
Almost everything Norton touches turns to gold, and I felt like Ruffalo was just too cliched at times.Just...mneh. He didn't affect me as much as Norton did when he wasn't The Hulk.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

The one thing I'll give Ruffalo is that he actually conveyed the fear you were supposed to feel when he's around. With Norton, it's like "that's cool bro, but you should turn into the Hulk now because that'd be cooler". With Ruffalo I was like "nope that's bad stop doing that don't kill everyone".

Exactly what I was going to say. The joke worked both as a joke, and answering the 'Why is Hulk being helpful?' question I'm sure a lot of people were thinking the second before that happened. It's not just slapstick. And also isn't Thor basically invincible anyway?

- Tilius

Yeah. The guy fell out of a giant floating aircraft carrier and was only slightly winded. He should be able to handle one punch easily, no matter who it's from.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I saw the midnight showing of the Avengers last week, and I thought it was awesome. (Just like everyone else. :P) It was actually the first 3-D movie I've seen in years. And TBH, I didn't think it added anything to the movie. But I still enjoyed the movie itself. It had great action scenes and humor. And it felt like all of the main characters got a good amount of screen time. I can't wait to see what happens in the next Avengers movie!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png