Where's The Power Source Of The Great Spirit Robot?

I think Karda Nui is basically a giant reactor. Well, it's probably not really the same technology as a real nuclear reactor, but that's the closest analogy I can think of.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Metru Nui was the brain and the center of consciousness was under it. The Codrex is important, considering how they started the Energy Storms from those lightstones in it. But outside the Codrex in the rest of Karda Nui is where the energy storms actually are, and all of Karda Nui is the robot's 'heart'.

My Blog

My Story Collection

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I guess the Energy Storms could be a byproduct and the real power is in the Lightstones, but that seems like an enormous waste to me, and it seems more like the kind of Main Reactor you see in things like Star Wars.

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

It's possible the Codrex leaked because of the crash, making the massive energy storms.The Lightstones might just be the little blubs saying, "Hey! There's still power here!"

The massive energy storms were a sign of normal operation; the absence was abnormal.I think the lightstones were just energy channels to the power source...Wasn't it revealed that the Mata Nui robot had a power source similar to the prototype robot on Bara Magna that was stabilized by EP? Where is that? Beneath the lightstone conduits (if they are conduits) or somewhere else...?

It's possible the Codrex leaked because of the crash, making the massive energy storms.

As I understand it, the energy storms only occur when Mata Nui is awake, so they would be the energy that the rest of the robot is powered from, which the Codrex presumably provides, and thus are a natural process of the MU.~B~

It's possible the Codrex leaked because of the crash, making the massive energy storms.The Lightstones might just be the little blubs saying, "Hey! There's still power here!"

The massive energy storms were a sign of normal operation; the absence was abnormal.I think the lightstones were just energy channels to the power source...Wasn't it revealed that the Mata Nui robot had a power source similar to the prototype robot on Bara Magna that was stabilized by EP? Where is that? Beneath the lightstone conduits (if they are conduits) or somewhere else...?
I see. Maybe the lightstones were just lightstones. Perhaps they had no function other then light!

WIP

I remember reading that the work done in Metru Nui was sent as power through underground conduits to Karda Nui, and that could be the power- the work of the Matoran and species of the Matoran universe. The EP must be in essential places as a mylien sheath, so the energy doesn't diffuse on its way to Karda Nui.

I see. Maybe the lightstones were just lightstones.Perhaps they had no function other then light!
No, the Toa Nuva were given instructions to channel elemental energy into the lightstones to awaken Mata Nui. It wasn't effective, so they used the Mask of Life instead. Edited by fishers64

I see. Maybe the lightstones were just lightstones.Perhaps they had no function other then light!
No, the Toa Nuva were given instructions to channel elemental energy into the lightstones to awaken Mata Nui. It wasn't effective, so they used the Mask of Life instead.
Right. Okay, why can't I remember anything...?

WIP

I remember reading that the work done in Metru Nui was sent as power through underground conduits to Karda Nui, and that could be the power- the work of the Matoran and species of the Matoran universe. The EP must be in essential places as a mylien sheath, so the energy doesn't diffuse on its way to Karda Nui.

But Metru Nui can't be supplying power to Karda Nui and receive power at the same time. Karda Nui is the world that feeds the world. Energy. I don't think we have an outright answer as to whether or not the energy is derived from the lightning storms in Karda Nui or conduits within the Codrex, but the general answer is that the power source is in Karda Nui. We know that much.-Ced

I agree with those who said that the energy storms are producing power, so all of that massive dome is the power source. The other components would variously produce, regulate, and channel energy away from this.

But Metru Nui can't be supplying power to Karda Nui and receive power

Not necessarily. Metru Nui might supply one half of a reaction's ingredients and receive back the result of the reaction. All real-world power sources operate on some variation of that principle. I don't recall anything being said like that about Metru Nui, though; rather that Metru Nui has its own small power source and that it gets additional power from Karda Nui normally.Another possibility is that Metru Nui's power source is one of many throughout the robot that operate as backup systems when Mata Nui was unconscious, and the restarting of the heart required a charge from Metru Nui, like a spark plug starting an engine from a battery, but once the engine starts running the power runs the other way, charging the battery. Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I agree with those who said that the energy storms are producing power, so all of that massive dome is the power source. The other components would variously produce, regulate, and channel energy away from this.

But Metru Nui can't be supplying power to Karda Nui and receive power

Not necessarily. Metru Nui might supply one half of a reaction's ingredients and receive back the result of the reaction. All real-world power sources operate on some variation of that principle. I don't recall anything being said like that about Metru Nui, though; rather that Metru Nui has its own small power source and that it gets additional power from Karda Nui normally.Another possibility is that Metru Nui's power source is one of many throughout the robot that operate as backup systems when Mata Nui was unconscious, and the restarting of the heart required a charge from Metru Nui, like a spark plug starting an engine from a battery, but once the engine starts running the power runs the other way, charging the battery.
You know, I seem to recall on BS01's old Energy Storms page that Karda Nui was powered by the storms. It's a shame that page isn't back yet. Anyway, if we assume that the storms are self-sustaining, so long as Mata Nui is awake, I don't think Metru Nui is supplying the power. In a manner of speaking anyway. According to BS01's Karda Nui page "The energy produced is sent to Metru Nui where it is redistributed to other areas of the universe, and even to Mata Nui himself. This energy is vital to the universe; if the flow stops, then health of the Great Spirit Robot begins to deteriorate." I assume the Coliseum's power plant would be the distributor of that energy. And of course, the "heart" simply requires a charge of Toa power from those massive lightstones within the Codrex - I don't believe Metru Nui has any part in that either. So now, there are a couple unanswered questions.First, where does the power really begin? From what we've seen, the power starts in the Codrex. Specifically, the giant lightstones. Once they send a "spark" down the line to Mata Nui in the core processor (perhaps through the Coliseum's power plant first?), the massive computer that is the Mata Nui robot then registers Mata Nui is "online" and will begin the energy storms - maintaining Mata Nui's life force. The storms will then send power down the line to Metru Nui and everywhere else after that.Second, why does Mata Nui need the Matoran then? This is where I think Metru Nui comes into play. The Great Disruption occurred because the Matoran stopped working in Metru Nui and went to war. And as we all know, Mata Nui needs the Matoran to work. Mata Nui receives energy from Karda Nui, but it's the Matoran that keep him healthy. The dependent relationship of Matoran labor and Mata Nui's health has always been vague in my mind, but they sustain him somehow.This next part may be a bit of a stretch. The Matoran are not "plugged in" quite the same as Mata Nui, but they exist within the robot. If the computer systems "sense" the Matoran are not working, the storms become smaller and weaker, sending less and less power to Metru Nui and by extension, the entire Matoran Universe. This would explain why Mata Nui's health deteriorates when the Matoran don't work. Because the Great Disruption had drained so much from Mata Nui, it took the use of the Mask of Life to ultimately save him. The Ignika has the ability to revitalize Mata Nui immediately and after that, the Matoran had to return to work so the storms could become large again and more energy could to flow into the core processor, as usual. It's only when Mata Nui is dead or registered as "offline" that the storms cease entirely, as the computer would assume the robot no longer requires power if it doesn't have a "brain."tl;dr - Ultimately, the power source is the energy storms and they are regulated to Mata Nui based on the labors of the Metru Nui Matoran.-Ced

I thought it was officially the great furnace, or is that just the power source for metru nui?

Edited by Hippopotomonstrosesquipeda

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

The dependent relationship of Matoran labor and Mata Nui's health has always been vague in my mind, but they sustain him somehow.

They're maintenance workers. And I don't think it's just the Metruans. They're among the most important because parts of the city interface with the brain processing. But other Matoran throughout the MU keep up other components. In Metru Nui it's keeping the automated skyscrapers working, which are involved somehow in Mata Nui's functioning. Maybe including something like how our brains regulate our hearts. :shrugs:

I thought it was officially the great furnace, or is that just the power source for metru nui?

Neither; Metru Nui's power source is under the Coliseum. The Great Furnace is just that, a furnace for Ta-Metru, providing the heat to keep molten protodermis molten, and machines that need that heat and that material running.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

So what were the Av-matoran doing there?

aouROFb.png

So what were the Av-matoran doing there?
The Av-Matoran were there to prepare Karda Nui for the first awakening of Mata Nui. They then left and returned to the Southern Continent, which is why they weren't vaporized by the energy storms.~B~

Maybe the Matoran are the things that distribute the power around - flip the switches that send power into one area and then into another. Power starts up at Metru Nui - it's like how our bodies give priority to our brains for oxygen and nutrients. But if the Matoran of Metru Nui aren't there to flip the switches to send power to the legs, arms, e.t.c. then those things don't work.If your brain isn't online, nothing else works. You're probably dead. And our brains do regulate power output to our muscles; maybe it's the same idea.

Maybe the Matoran are the things that distribute the power around - flip the switches that send power into one area and then into another. Power starts up at Metru Nui - it's like how our bodies give priority to our brains for oxygen and nutrients. But if the Matoran of Metru Nui aren't there to flip the switches to send power to the legs, arms, e.t.c. then those things don't work.If your brain isn't online, nothing else works. You're probably dead. And our brains do regulate power output to our muscles; maybe it's the same idea.

Matoran always seemed too busy with other things to be literally flipping switches. Unless you consider that scene near the beginning of The Legend Reborn where the Matoran appeared to be directly running the Mata Nui robot and stuff to be canon.-Ced

This topic has been pretty interesting to read through. :PI'd just like to add that I believe the giant lightstones are more than just lightstones (as in there's more to their purpose than just light), maybe as a power conduit of some kind, if only because one of them charged the Jetrax up till the actual hull glowed like a lightbulb when Antroz clipped it by accident.Also, aren't there "pipes" of a sort that transport Karda Nui's energy through the robot? Wasn't that how the mutagen that was a side effect of the energy seeped out into the ocean around the Pit, one of the pipes more or less burst?

rahkshi_symbol.png

This topic has been pretty interesting to read through. :PI'd just like to add that I believe the giant lightstones are more than just lightstones (as in there's more to their purpose than just light), maybe as a power conduit of some kind, if only because one of them charged the Jetrax up till the actual hull glowed like a lightbulb when Antroz clipped it by accident.Also, aren't there "pipes" of a sort that transport Karda Nui's energy through the robot? Wasn't that how the mutagen that was a side effect of the energy seeped out into the ocean around the Pit, one of the pipes more or less burst?

Man, I had no idea you were still visiting this site, Takatu! :lol:Back on topic though. There have to be pipes or cables or something connecting everything. That's how the Codrex lightstones were probably able to transfer the Toa Nuva's elemental powers down the line to give Mata Nui a "jolt." The lightstones also seem to be imbued with a large degree of their own power, able to (as you said) cause the Jetrax to light up after Antroz struck one. The mutagen, however, was created by radiation seeping out from the Mata Nui robot and interacting with the deep Aqua Magna sea water after the robot had a hole punctured in it from Voya Nui rocketing to the surface.-Ced

Matoran always seemed too busy with other things to be literally flipping switches. Unless you consider that scene near the beginning of The Legend Reborn where the Matoran appeared to be directly running the Mata Nui robot and stuff to be canon.-Ced
"Flipping switches" is just an allegory for this quote here:

Metru Nui had no Toa. It was one of the safest places in the universe, because everyone knew how vital the city was to the well-being of so many other lands. The goods it produced were desperately needed elsewhere and the energy produced by the power plants was so great it could be funneled to other lands at no cost to Metru Nui.

Implication is that somebody is doing the "funneling".Actually, that quote explains why Metru Nui was so vital, which was a point of contention awhile back...

I've been stalking the Elder Scrolls topic in COT, Ced. :PMaybe Metru Nui and Karda Nui are like a real brain and heart in that while both keep your body functioning in their own way, you really can't have one without the other. As was said before, when the Matoran went to war and stopped working in Metru Nui, Mata Nui's health gradually diminished, and it wouldn't surprise me if the energy storms in Karda Nui lessened in intensity during that period, if not almost stopped altogether (would explain how Jovan's team got there to use the Mask of Life without being incinerated right away).Still, the energy storms stopped for the thousand years after Makuta crashed his systems, and while the robot body wasn't active, Mata Nui was still alive, so maybe Karda Nui functioning correctly isn't completely necessary to Mata Nui's actual health as a living thing.

rahkshi_symbol.png