Sets - Sacred Possessions Or Mocing Ressources?

Taka Nuvia

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Edit: Title's supposed to say SACRED possessions, not 'scared' possessions. And I thought I'd checked the topic title twice...Thanks! ^^I guess the question is self-explanatory. ^_^I usually don't take them apart. Partly because I rarely MoC, partly because I'm so used to seeing the sets, and partly also because I tend to lose crucial pieces. =/Edit: added topic tags. Only this, and nothing more. ^^ Not exactly true; but hey, you can see the other edit(s), too, so..

Edited by Taka Nuvia

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I have a lot of sets I would never take apart (all six toa inika, one of every tohunga, takanuva 08, etc.)but the '01-'07 pieces I dont use,for fear of them breaking apart. I usually don't take any set or previous moc apart, actually

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I take all official sets apart. The only "sets" I haven't yet taken apart are two things I got in a DesignByMe box, but of course they're my own MOCs like everything else. :) To me, MOCing is LEGO.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Usually no, but nowadays I often buy sets just to MOC Matoran, Rahkshi or other canon characters. Some sets I only build one model of, eg. I built Lesovikk but not his sled, and Mazeka but not his Swamp Strider.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

There are some sets I don't take apart. Rather I revamp them. The only sets I have that haven't been revamped are the six Vahki sets, The six Bohrok sets and the six Rahkshi sets. Everything else has either been taken apart of has had there original design improved upon.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I have some sets that I frequently use for MOCing (my Nuparu Mahrii hasn't been in set form for about half a year now), some that I don't ever take apart for MOCs and others, like Lewa Nuva Phantoka, where I take a piece off them to use in a MOC, but leave the rest intact (ex. blades, launchers, jetpacks).

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

I picked the third answer. Most of the time I'm fine with MOCing using the parts in sets, although I take care not to let those parts end up mixed with all my others once I'm done with the MOC. But I do have my limits. For one, I rarely MOC using the parts of my largest sets, like Modular Buildings or UCS Star Wars sets. Those sets function more as display pieces, and I treat them as such. Also, since the topic specifically asked about BIONICLE and Hero Factory, I should note that I am much less comfortable MOCing with any set which uses the old style of ball joint. I've had too many of those break for me to go taking apart sets which use them willy-nilly.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

There are no sets that I wouldn't take apart if I needed pieces. How could I MOC otherwise?

For examle by double-buying sets. Or by getting some boxes of lose pieces, e.g. on ebay. :shrugs:
I've tried double-buying sets, but then I think "Hey, twice the parts for Mocing". It doesn't really work out.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I sometimes take apart sets to build MOCs, but there are some that I like to keep together.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last summer, I started to rebuild all of my bionicle/hf sets (some how, they all fall apart over the years and into my bucket of Lego Bricks). I have them on a shelf, and take them aapart when I want to MOC. Then I put them back together when I;m done, or, if the moc is good enough, I'll put it up on the shelf.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the pile of Technic and Bionicle pieces littering one corner of my room, I guess I would have to say they are just resources. I mean at first when I was younger I bought sets solely for what was on the box, what was supposed to be built out of the parts inside. But around the start of the Voya-Nui saga in 2006, I kind of just started buying sets for the parts they offered. I remember buying the 2008 version of Takanuva simply for all the wonderful recolored white pieces he had, I'm pretty sure I didn't even build him. But yeah, to me my sets are resources.

At first to me the instructions where just building techniques, and the pieces went into my "Bionicle Bucket" that evolved into a full toybox. After the comics ended I started rebuilding the sets. I'm still rebuilding. Judging from that, I'd say that they where resources but are now treasures to me. I got an in bag set of Kongu as a matoran for free, and I was SO excited about it. Yes, my favorite earthly thing EVER!!!!!

All of my sets are scared. :PSo, while Bionicle was still going, I'd try to keep them together as long as possible, but it would never work out. No matter hbow hard I tried, they always felt the pain of my hand taking them apart, piece by piece. I kept rebuiolding them though, if I could find the pieces. Now that Bionicle is over, they have all been in pieces for years. Recently I took all of my storage boxes out, and have been busy MoCing. I don't I'll ever make an official Bionicle set again.

av.png

Starting a new comic series soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted yes.In my first couple years as a Bionicle fan, I'd only take apart sets of characters that no longer "existed". (Like when the Nuva came out, I knew they'd stay Nuva, so I only took apart my Mata sets.)Then in about '03, I was willing to take apart any set as long as it was canister-sized (By that point I could put together pretty much any canister set with my eyes closed, but not so much with the larger sets).Then around '05, I'd just but a set, put it together, play around with it for a bit, then take it apart, not really caring. Regardless of size.

Edited by Shinken Green