The Eleventh Hour

a goose

Alright, so here we are. The final epic in the Time-Keeper Saga. And (I hope) I can guarantee you that it will be very epic indeed.So, let us introduce...teh.pngPrologue - The Ceremony:Incommodo looked over at Arkrak. The two Toa had been through so much, in so little time, and it appeared that at last the end was drawing near. The tragic events which had brought them to this moment had not been for nothing.They were at a ceremony, where Frustro, head of the New Guard, would be forced to give the two of them medals due to the role they had played in bringing down one of the greatest threats Spherus Magna had ever faced. However, Arkrak seemed to be the only one who was actually happy about this.Incommodo’s opinion was that these medals were worthless scraps of metal, which after this would either be left to rust on a mantelpiece, or sold for a considerable deal of money which would likely be wasted on frivolities. Mere days before this, he would have been honoured to receive such a thing, but recent events had changed his point of view.Frustro’s opinion, however, could not have been more different. He believed that these bumbling lunatics deserved straight-jackets rather than awards, and almost everyone who knew Incommodo or Arkrak agreed.A massive audience stood and clapped as Frustro walked on to the large stage which had been built in the ruins of New Atero. One of the audience, however, was not like the others. He sat on a nearby hill, his weapon aimed directly at Incommodo’s head, watching as Frustro placed the medal around the blue Toa’s neck and stepped back. The gunshot wasn’t heard over the applause, but the result was seen by all.The small bullet smashed through Incommodo’s mask, impaling itself in his skull. Death was instant for all involved – the victim and the assassin. A powerful electric charge had been activated by the trigger, making sure that the killer could never be traced to his master. Incommodo’s death would forever remain a mystery, and that was how Reichenbach liked it.He himself, however, could not dare to risk attending his rival’s murder. He sat upon a stone throne, gazing into the distance, looking through a window at the dark clouds which approached them under a violet sky, lightning flashing across them.- - -My dear reader, we have come to the end.There is no escaping the facts of the matter, and the facts are what I will relate to you.But first, to truly understand this cataclysm, we must return, for this was the fifth day after the eleventh hour, and that is where our story truly begins...- - -Incommodo lunged at the laughing Reichenbach, but the world flashed white around him. Reichenbach’s chuckling ceased as he stared at the empty space his enemy had occupied a second before.Incommodo saw nothing of this, however. He was far beyond where others could reach him, and it was all the better, for there were those who had already begun plotting and scheming, preparing for the disaster which would come in the days to follow.And although he did not yet know it, Pulse was among them.He sat in a cave, rage boiling within him. His plans had been foiled yet again, by the two fools who had bothered him for so long. Reichenbach, who had helped Pulse in his last plan, had also provided him with a new mask after the destruction of his old one. Obviously, the Toa of Sonics had a sense of humour, although that was something Pulse himself was lacking.When he had been a Matoran, he had worked alongside a Vortixx, The Shadow, planning to bring down civilisation and kill all who breathed. He had broken away from The Shadow, but before then, they had been forced to choose names to replace their old ones. Pulse had been cold – much more so than the average Ko-Matoran. They had called him heartless. So he had made his name the one thing that he didn’t have.Either Reichenbach got the joke, or he had bad taste in masks, as the Kanohi now worn by Pulse was a Tryna, the mask of reanimation, a mask some would say was as immoral as his goals.He was startled away from his thoughts as he saw a being approaching him – shaped like a Toa, but completely dark, his eyes giving off an unusual glow. “Who are you? What are you doing here?!”“I am here to make you... an offer.” If the Shadow had a mouth, it would have been smirking.“What if I say no?”“I’m afraid you don’t get a choice, Pulse.” Tendrils of shadow burst forth from the being, wrapping around the screaming Pulse and pulling him into the Shadow. Seconds later, the Shadows cleared, and the screaming stopped, revealing Pulse, his eyes glowing a dark, menacing red behind his Tryna. “Revenge...”The tendrils moved around him, almost like they had a life of their own. He glared at them, and they ceased, becoming part of him once more as he exited the cave.Review Topic

Edited by Using Less Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

PART I: THE COMING STORM

Chapter 1 – The Hosted:The night was illuminated by flashing lights, and filled with whirring and grinding, mixed with mechanical screeches of laughter, all from the creatures hard at work within the crater left by Marendar’s destruction. They were the underlings, the foot soldiers of the Shadows – those of higher ranks were too busy trying to find themselves hosts.There are some people more likely to attract the attention of a Shadow looking for a host – people who have killed, people who plan to kill, people whose evil and desire for revenge or destruction was unparalleled.People like Ignotus, ex-emperor of the Mystix.Ignotus was alive. He had pulled himself out of the ocean, revived from his state of stasis by the energy of the Ignika. He, of course, wanted revenge. However, Ignotus’ revenge did not matter to the shadowy being that crept up behind him. “Hello, Ignotus.”Ignotus recognised the voice from somewhere, and turned, only to see darkness. The slight illumination from a nearby lightstone did not reach far enough to reveal his visitor. “Who is it? Who dares to interfere with Ignotus, Emperor of the Mystix?”“’Emperor’, huh? You always did fancy yourself as being better than the rest of us.” The Shadow grinned, and stepped into the light, revealing himself to be shaped like a Mystix, shrouded by writhing tendrils of shadow.“Laz?” Ignotus took a single step back. All of the Mystix were dead, they had drowned in the cave. So how could Laz be here, if he was among them?“That’s you all over. Always good with a face.” A tendril of shadow lanced out from Laz, spearing Ignotus through his chest. “I died in that bloody disaster you called your empire. I could have been so much, Ignotus. I should have been above you. But now, I can be you. You have paid the price of your actions in the blood of others, but now it is time to pay in your own.”The tendril pulled Ignotus in, forcing him to become a part of The Shadow. As he was finally absorbed, the shadows cleared, and Laz looked at his new body. “I have... power. Power unlike any I have had before.”A sword lay on the ground. Laz reached out his hand, and it flew into the air, before impaling itself in a nearby rock. “He wasted this power, he didn’t realise its potential. The fool. I can do so much more than he ever could. I am one of the highest among the ranks of the Shadows, and I can claim even those higher than me!”“A touching speech, old chap, but I do think that may not be the smartest thing to say.” The Shadow walked towards Laz. He found Pulse’s corpse to be rather comfortable, despite the thoughts of revenge that often clouded his judgement. “I’ll tell you what, maybe you should start with your power-seizing by taking a group to that settlement not far from here. That sound good to you?”Laz looked, eyes wide, at the other Shadow. “Y-yes... of course...”“Good puppy.” The Shadow slapped Laz on the back, causing the Mystix to stumble and fall flat on his face, before walking off into the darkness. “I’ve got a town of my own to flatten.”- - -Pirok walked through the town. He had to admit, in the weeks since he and Proditor had last defeated Pulse, things had been a little dull. He didn’t even have Incommodo to brighten things up.In fact, brightening may not have been all that good. He was enjoying the peace and quiet – that was why he had moved away from New Atero in the first place.He was immediately on alert when he heard screams coming from nearby, and ran as fast as he could to reach their source. However, it seemed that he was just moments too late. As he reached the centre of the square area, he was surrounded by corpses. Only one figure still stood, his back to Pirok. “Excuse me? Can you tell me what happened here?”Pirok noticed that something wasn’t quite right about the being. The way he stood seemed slightly awkward, almost as though he was only adjusting to his current form. His suspicions were confirmed when the being turned, revealing Pulse’s Tryna. He tried to run, but Pulse glided towards him. His eyes glowed red, and he was wreathed in shadow. He stopped, and unsheathed his sword, aiming a beam of shadow at Pirok, who only narrowly dodged it. The shadows ate through the wall behind Pirok like acid.“This body... it is not my own, but I can tell that you were once its enemy. With my power and its combined, you will not live to become one of mine.” Shadows whipped out from Pulse’s body, plunging into the corpses, which began picking themselves up off the ground.“Pulse?”“Pulse is dead. I am Nekron.” The being smirked. “Your end has begun.”Review Topic

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Chapter 2 – The Reunion “Touching speech. Now go to Karzahni you oxymoronic Brakas.” Nekron was flung backwards against a wall, and Proditor dropped down on to the ground before turning to look at Pirok. “Thought you might’ve needed a hand there.”“Proditor, run.” Pirok whispered.“I never run.” As soon as Proditor had finished speaking, Pirok gestured at the corpses walking towards them. “Allow me to reconsider that statement.”- - -Incommodo looked around himself. “Am I dead?”He was surrounded by darkness, and could hear a faint whispering coming from behind him. He turned to face its source, and recognised that it was a bright light. At the end of a tunnel. “Ah, Karz. I’m dead, aren’t I? This is just bloody great.”“You aren’t dead, Incommodo.” A voice sighed. The tunnel disappeared, and Incommodo was instead surrounded by whiteness. “Allow me to introduce myself: I am Xylak Ansanarasar.”“That’s a long name.” Incommodo noticed. “Well, can I at least see you?”A being appeared in front of Incommodo, its cold blue eyes burning behind its helmet, which was a metallic grey and looked similar to a Faxon. Its armour, identical in material to the mask, covered most of its pale white skin, although some of it still showed. “Is this better?”“By far. I’ve always wondered what an alien would look like.” Incommodo nodded.“I am no alien,” chuckled Xylak; “I am a Great Being.”- - -Pirok and Proditor ran as quickly as they could from the fast approaching horde, Nekron leading it once more and gliding towards them with unnerving speed. As they turned a corner, Pirok only just stopped himself from gaping in shock as he realised that they had reached a dead end.“I have a plan.” Proditor said, looking over at Pirok. “Grab my arm and jump as high as you can.”“You know the way you think up a lot of plans?”“Yes?”“This is tied for worst.”“Tied with what?”“Every other bloody plan.” Pirok jumped, aided by his Calix, and Proditor used his elemental power to blow them safely over the wall. They started running again, and hid behind a crumbling brick wall.“It’ll take him ages to climb over that.” Proditor laughed.A blast of shadow blew the wall they had flown over apart, fragments raining down on the surrounding area. One of the corpses tried to move forwards, but Nekron held out his arm to stop it. “Let them live. The greatest torture now would be to leave them alive.”- - -Frustro sat behind his desk, and threw a metal pin into the air, punching yet another hole in the ceiling of his office, which already looked set to fall in on him at any moment. There was a knock at the door, and he took a mental note to tell the guards never to let Incommodo into the building again. “Come in.”To Frustro’s surprise, it was Arkrak who walked in, rather than Incommodo. “Um... hello...”“What do you want? Where’s Incommodo?”“Incommodo’s dead.” Arkrak sighed. “He was tricked into jumping over a waterfall.”“Well, isn’t that just too bad.” Frustro grumbled. “Now, get out.”“Why do you hate him?” Arkrak asked.“Hate who?”“Incommodo. Why do you hate him?”“He saved my life.” Frustro answered, glaring at Arkrak.“Then shouldn’t you be grateful?”“That’s assuming I wanted my life saved.”- - -I walked through New Atero. Such a wonderful city. Even more so now that a threat to its safety had been exposed.The news was everywhere – three Toa, intent on ending the world as we knew it. They had even gotten an artist in to draw them, and he did a pretty good job of it. I imagine that the two other Toa, assuming they didn’t die like Myself did, wouldn’t be able to go anywhere without being spotted.I thought back to the black Toa at the waterfall. I had, of course, developed my own theories on him – I assumed that he was some kind of dark hero, with similar objectives to mine, but more drastic means of reaching them.I didn’t know his name – in fact, it seemed that he didn’t exist. I wondered who he was, and how to make contact with him.An ally like that would be exceptionally helpful...- - -Nikarra picked herself up off the ground. Why had she broken the mirror? She didn’t have to, she realised that now.It was too much for her. She looked at the fragments of glass scattered around her, and then at the door, remembering the Shadow who had acted so strangely. Who was he?But that didn’t matter. What mattered now was finding the other Time-Keepers – excluding, quite obviously, Vorex – and explaining to them what had happened. The Ta-Matoran wouldn’t need an explanation, but the others would.She had no idea where Incommodo or Strave were, although she did know Reichenbach and the Ta-Matoran’s general locations, which was a start. She walked out of the door, and then stepped back in.It appeared that her entire home had been moved to the site of the crater, as she was looking right at it.“Lovely view, isn’t it?” Nekron observed, appearing from nowhere beside her.“You’re the one from earlier, aren’t you?” Nikarra looked over at Nekron.“Indeed I am. Good to know you recognised me.”“Why am I here?” Nikarra asked.“Because I’m afraid that we can’t have the Time-Keepers assembling. And you’re the only one who can bring them together at the moment, dear.” Nekron explained, solemnly. “But look on the bright side – at least you’ll know exactly what your enemy is up to from here. You know the saying: keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.” The Shadow grinned.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 3 – Lies “Out of my office.” Frustro practically shoved Arkrak out of the door, slamming it behind him, before sitting down again.Arkrak brushed some dust off himself, and looked around New Atero. It was dark, and a news stall only just caught his eye – a lightstone shone on what appeared to be an image of him. Incommodo and Nikarra were there too. “What the... oh, right. It’s a plot twist. That’s nice.”- - -“Ah, a Great Being. You don’t look all that... um... great, to be honest. You’re looking pretty mundane.” Incommodo commented.“Actually, this isn’t my true appearance. I had to... change it a little, so that it wouldn’t completely destroy your mind.” Xylak explained.“Uh-huh. And why exactly am I here? The last time I checked, the world was about to end. I think it might just need my help.”“Indeed it might, but it would be too dangerous to leave you there.” Xylak sighed.“I still want to go back.” Incommodo explained.Xylak stared calmly at Incommodo, and then smiled. “Alright then. But you’ll have to prove yourself, first.”“Prove myself?”“Yes. I will set for you... three tasks. Complete them, and I’ll let you back into your reality.”“Sounds simple enough.”“Task number one: Get to the other side of this maze.”“What do you...” Suddenly, Xylak disappeared, and Incommodo was surrounded by metal walls. “Oh. Okay. This should be easy. I think...”- - -Pirok stood silently, a frown crossing his Calix.“What now?” Proditor was, for lack of a better term, bored. He was bored to the point where he had even considered using his Iden so that he was literally ‘bored out of his mind’, just for the novelty.“That town back there was destroyed, yet New Atero seems untouched. We haven’t seen any sign of anything at all in quite a while.” The two had left the town, and were fast approaching New Atero. Although they had to go on foot, they were going as quickly as they could, in order to make sure that they were there before dawn – Nekron could and likely would attack at any moment.“So, we got one smashed up town. No biggie.”Pirok stopped in his tracks and shot a glare at Proditor. “People have died, Proditor. Innocent people. At the very least try to be apathetic, but do not think of this humorously.”“Alright, no need for the lecture.” Proditor muttered.Soon they reached the gates, which were still wide open. “Well, they’re certainly not worried about an attack.”“I wouldn’t be so sure.” A Toa stepped out in front of Pirok and Proditor, and two more on either side of them. The three looked almost identical apart from their masks, the moonlight giving their black armour a sort of eerie glow.“Who are you?” If Pirok had a sword, he would have reached for it.“I am Fear.” The one standing in front of the two Toa said.“I am Dread.” The one facing Proditor said.“I am Terror.” The last finished, glaring at Pirok.“We are the League of Shades, and you will come with us.” It was Fear who spoke, and Pirok and Proditor were wary of disagreeing.- - -Frustro sat behind the table in the interrogation room, staring intensely at Pirok. Proditor was locked in a cell, somewhere else in the building.“My friends here,” Frustro gestured at Fear and Dread, who stood behind him – Terror was guarding Proditor; “Tell me that you and your mate were planning to attack New Atero.”“Your friends are stupid.” Dread twitched slightly at this, earning a glare from Fear, but there was no other reaction.“They heard what you said.” Frustro pulled out a small device, and placed it on the table. He pressed a small button on it, and it repeated Pirok’s words from the gates.Pirok breathed a sigh of relief. “We weren’t attacking you. We came here to warn you of an attack.”“There’s no-one to attack us. Every threat has been analysed by a reliable source.”“Then why am I here?” Pirok asked. “If you ask me, I don’t think your source is as reliable as you might think.”Frustro frowned. “You can leave. You and your idiotic friend.”“Gee, thanks.” Pirok spat, standing up. “If Incommodo still works here, tell him I said ‘hi’, and want to log a complaint about customer service.”“Incommodo is dead. And you are leaving this building right now unless you want a restraining order hanging on your wall to go with the collection you must have built up so far.” Frustro growled, slamming his fist down on the desk in frustration.- - -“You don’t talk much, do you?” Proditor lay back on the bed in his cell, his legs crossed. He smirked when Terror didn’t give him a reply. “Oh, I get it. They only taught you to tell people your name. Aw.”Terror was holding back his anger. He wasn’t supposed to be capable of emotion, but the glitch had altered him. He should never have touched it.It was too late now. All he had to do was ignore the imbecile inside the cell.He glared at Fear and Dread as they arrived. Proditor tried to listen in on their conversation, but they spoke too quietly, occasionally casting suspicious glances at him. After a few moments, Fear nodded, walked over, and unlocked Proditor’s cell. “You may leave. Your friend is waiting outside.”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 4 – CompanyProditor walked out, and saw Pirok standing outside. “What’d they ask you?”“Huh?” Pirok looked confusedly at Proditor.“What did they ask you in there?”“What are you talking about, Proditor?”Proditor just stared at Pirok for a few seconds. “You are kidding me, right?”“I’m not. I can’t remember anything about what you’re talking about.” And he honestly couldn’t. The problem of Pirok’s memory was easily solved by Fear, before Proditor had been released.“Um... alright then...” Proditor did his best to ignore what had just happened, as he noticed a news stall. “Hey, isn’t that Incommodo?”“No, it’s not.” Pirok looked from Proditor to the grey Toa standing in front of the stall and back again. “Incommodo’s blue.”“No, on the news!” Proditor practically dragged Pirok to the stall. “Look. Blue moron, grey moron, purple- hello.”“Seriously, Proditor?” Pirok sighed. “You’ve spent too much time with the natives.”“And what if I have?” Proditor took a moment to examine the headline. “Oh, would you look at that? Little Incy’s trying to end the world. How nice.”“You know him?” The grey Toa turned to look at Pirok and Proditor, and they instantly recognised him as the being standing beside Incommodo in the image.“You’re in that picture.” Pirok stepped back a little, prepared to defend himself.“I suppose I am. Too bad they’ve got the wrong people, though.” The Toa stared thoughtfully at the image for a few more seconds, before turning to face Pirok and Proditor again. “I’m Arkrak.”- - -Nikarra stared into the darkness. There was no way out. Those shadows were everywhere.She had tried everything, even going so far as to freeze time, but to no avail. The Shadows weren’t a part of this universe, and therefore weren’t affected by it.For a few seconds, she felt jealous of Incommodo’s Kualsi. Her Iden was useless at the moment.She closed her eyes for a few seconds, and heard a voice. “Nikarra...”“Strave?” Although she kept her eyes closed, she could see the Turaga standing against a white background.“There is always a way out.”“So you’ve told me before. But I’m not seeing it.” Hearing this, Strave chuckled.“Look around, Nikarra. You cannot go through them. You cannot go above them. Why not go under them?”“How do you even know that I’m here, Strave?” Nikarra was beginning to get tired of Strave’s constant help, however much she needed it.“I watch all of the Time-Keepers, Nikarra. While you sleep, you see me – but while I sleep, I see whatever danger you or another Keeper is in.”“So, you know where the others are?”“Sadly not.” Strave sighed. “Incommodo has passed to somewhere beyond my reach. I believe that the Whispers have taken him.”“What about everyone else?”“Vorex is beyond salvation, Reichenbach has hidden himself away in a cave. The Matoran is not all that far from here – follow your heart.”“What about you?”“I will be there when I am needed.” The vision disappeared, and Nikarra opened her eyes. Checking that no-one was watching, she pushed the bed out of the way and opened a small trapdoor, dropping down into it. As soon as she was down, she started running.- - -Nikarra bent over, trying to catch her breath. She didn’t think she was being followed. She saw some light up ahead, and walked towards it – there was a grating directly above her. People were talking, above it. She heard something about Incommodo, and wondered if these people might know anything about him.- - -“Why are you in the news?” Pirok asked.“More importantly, why are you in the news next to the stupidest person who ever lived?” Proditor added.“I’m not entirely sure.” Arkrak admitted.“Well, someone must be.” Nikarra crawled out of a nearby hole, having pushed up the grating. She stood up and brushed some dust off herself. There was something strange about the fact that the trapdoor, which had served no function before, had ended up directly over the tunnel. Nekron didn’t seem to be stupid enough not to realise it was there – so why was her home moved to there, specifically? Unless he wanted her to escape...“Welcome to the first annual Apocalypse Team meeting. Now all we need to wait for is Incommodo to drop out of the sky.” Proditor chuckled.“Incommodo isn’t dropping out of anywhere.” Arkrak glanced around at the others. “Incommodo is dead.”“Are you sure?” It was obvious from Nikarra’s tone that she was worried.“He jumped off a cliff, I’m pretty sure.”“Did you get the body?”“The cliff had a waterfall in it. We may never find it.”“In that case,” Pirok interrupted, “He may still be alive. We need all the help we can get.”“Preferably help that isn’t of the undead variety.” Proditor pointed out.“What do you mean by ‘undead’?” Arkrak looked curiously at the two Toa. He had originally thought Incommodo was strange, but these two were something else entirely.“THE END IS APPROACHING!” A voice shouted from nearby.“MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE PREPARED!”“USE THE NEW APOCALYPSE-WARNING SYSTEM!” The beings speaking came into view, earning a groan from Pirok.“Have no fear of the apocalypse! With our newest product, you will receive an advance warning, allowing you to take your valuables underground!” The red Agori shouted, holding up what looked suspiciously like a clock.“Also try our apocalypse shelter, for extra protection!” The blue one added, elbowing his brother.“I think now would be a good time to leave...” Proditor pointed out.- - -Pirok looked around his old home. It seemed slightly worn-out. “So, how do you two know Incommodo?”“I met him after he got out of a nuthouse.” Arkrak explained. He kept moving around on his chair.“And you?” Pirok glared at Nikarra.“That information is not for you to know.” Nikarra hissed.“The world is about to end, love. I don’t think this is a good time to be secretive.” Proditor chuckled, putting his feet up on a nearby table.“You will refer to me as Nikarra, and this is a perfectly good time to be secretive. The world hasn’t ended yet.”- - -Reichenbach glanced around. Vines crept along the ground below his feet, and he could hear the sounds of scuttling insects. Avian Rahi and the birds native to Spherus Magna were all flying north.It was wrong. It was all wrong. This wasn’t how it was meant to work out.The end should have been immediate, painless, the threat wiped away without a trace. But he was still out there, somewhere. And wherever he was, it was Reichenbach’s duty to stop him.But it wasn’t. Reichenbach’s duty was to stand by and watch as the world fell to pieces. And for what? He didn’t want to kill anyone. He had to, though. This was what he had been driven to. This was what he had become.And as long as he had to live with himself, the end couldn’t come soon enough.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 5 – Illiterate Thinking “Okay, maybe THIS is the right one.” No, it wasn’t. Incommodo was still lost, as he had been for quite a while now. How did he get back again? He was pretty sure it was left, left, right, left, right, left, right, right, left. On the other hand, it could have been right, right, left, right, left, right, left, left, right. He shrugged and carried on. It couldn’t be all that difficult.- - -It had been a long, long time. And he was still stuck.He turned another corner – he was back at the entrance. He turned back, just in time to see a wall shift.The moving wall was the final straw. Incommodo wasn’t taking any more of this. With a cry of pain and anger, he used every last bit of elemental energy he had to pick up the whole maze, and with great difficulty, walked straight across, and let it fall down, before walking through the exit. “Illiterate thinking.”On the other side of the exit, Xylak groaned. “The phrase is ‘lateral thinking’, not ‘illiterate thinking’.” He shook his head, looking sadly at Incommodo. “Although in your case, it may be more applicable than I would have thought.”“Where’s the second challenge?” Incommodo’s eyes burned with a fierce determination. He wasn’t going to leave the people of his world to die.If Xylak was worried by Incommodo’s newfound confidence, he didn’t show it. “Test number two: Defeat the mighty beasts.”“I think the cliché is to defeat the mighty beast.”“I’m not a clichéd kind of guy.” Xylak vanished once more, and the area around Incommodo changed to take on the appearance of the Coliseum back in Metru-Nui. Only, unlike the Coliseum, it was now filled with creatures – everything from Visorak to Rahkshi, from Bohrok to Muaka.“This is where the fun begins...”- - -“We need to stop them.” A model of New Atero, built from various bits and pieces around Pirok’s home, sat in front of the Toa. “Chances are, those things-““Shadows.” Nikarra cut in.“Chances are those Shadows are capable of tactical thinking, judging by the ease with which they have taken other places, and the apparent intelligence of their leader. But, this ‘Nekron’ has made a mistake: he has let us live. And as long as we’re alive, we can stop him.”“Not true.” Nikarra pointed out. “As you said, he let us live. He’s not stupid; he knows what he’s doing. If he is really confident enough to release us, we don’t stand a chance.”“Pride always comes before a fall.”“That fall will be ours if we continue with this idiocy.”“And what else can we do?” Pirok turned the table over, standing up. “There is nothing else to do. Maybe you’re right. Maybe we are all screwed. Maybe there’s not a chance in Karz that we’re going to get out of this alive, but do you know what? I don’t bloody care. If we are going to die then we are going to die heroes.”Arkrak stood up, and clapped enthusiastically, but glanced around nervously and then sat back down, twiddling his thumbs.Nikarra glared at Pirok. “There are no heroes, or villains. There are no winners or losers because at the end of the day everyone dies.Pirok walked over to Nikarra and looked deep into her eyes. “Heroes do exist. A hero isn’t made from what they do; a hero is made from what they are. As long as there are still beings willing to stand up for what is right, for what is just, as long as there is still someone willing to stare into the face of evil and say no, there are always heroes.”Nikarra resisted the urge to spit in Pirok’s face and sat down. “If you really want to kill yourself you can jump off a bridge, but I get the feeling that you’re planning something a bit more elaborate.”“We’re going to get ourselves some allies, and then we’re going to find their base and hit them where it hurts.”“Finding it won’t be necessary; I already know where it is.” Nikarra explained. “But that’s the good news.”“What’s the bad news?” Proditor seemed unaffected by the argument.“It’s in a crater, so they’re perfectly guarded, unless we drop something in on them. And they’re building something.”“So, we’re dealing with creatures that we know nothing about, who may well be building a Weapon of Mass Destruction?” Arkrak summarised, in the same tone one might use to describe the weather on a particularly boring day.“But for us, it’s Tuesday...” Proditor muttered.- - -Incommodo sat on the corpse of one of the Bohrok, twiddling his thumbs. “Are we done here yet?”Xylak materialised in front of him. He carried an expression of shock, but Incommodo couldn’t see it from beneath his helmet. “But... but how did you...?”“It was simple, really. They wanted to attack me, so I stand in front of other ones and teleport out of the way so they kill themselves, and then I leave the last one as a Bohrok and pull out its Krana.”Xylak regained his usual, apathetic appearance, and brushed some imaginary dust off himself. “As you wish. Time for the third test.”Xylak flashed a toothy grin at Incommodo. His teeth were sharp, and brilliantly white. “Get out.”The world around Incommodo fell into darkness, so thick that it was difficult to breathe. He tried to move forward, but it was like he was being pulled back. He fell to the ground, struggling for air. He felt his eyes begin to shut. It was over...No. He couldn’t give up. He pushed himself up off the ground, even though it felt like there were weights pushing down on his back, and screamed. It was a cry of pain, it was a cry of anger, it was pure emotion being turned into sound. The area around Incommodo became white again, and Xylak clapped, softly. “Well done, Incommodo.”“You said it was too dangerous...”“What?” Xylak raised an eyebrow.“You said it would be too dangerous to leave me on Spherus Magna. Before I leave, I have one question.”“Ask away.” Xylak smiled.“Too dangerous for me... or for you?” Before the question was answered, Incommodo popped out of existence in front of Xylak.The Great Being stared at the empty space before him. “I’m sorry, Incommodo.”- - -Incommodo gasped for air. He could see the moon! It was still night!Wait... he was looking down at the moon. He was upside-down.He looked at his feet, and found out that there was a loop of rope around one of his ankles. He was in some kind of trap.He felt himself being poked by a stick. “Ouch!”“Looks like it’s a real one, not some kind of Rahi.” There were people talking somewhere below him.“Let’s bring ‘im to Zarnarax. He’ll know what to do...” Incommodo caught sight of a strange yellow being climbing up a tree with a knife. It looked like... no.“You’re a Mystix.” Incommodo’s eyes widened in shock. The Mystix were all dead. He’d made sure of it.“Look at that, ‘e knows what a Mystix is.” The one with the knife chuckled, cutting Incommodo loose. Incommodo cried out as his head hit the ground.“That bloody hurt!” He whined.“Just shut up...” The other Mystix spoke. This one was purple. “We’re taking you back to Zarnarax.”“Who’s Zarnarax? What are you doing? Where are we going?”“Krax, get a rock. This one isn’t going to shut up.” The purple one sighed. The yellow one, who seemed to be named Krax, grabbed a rock, and, grinning, brought it down on the back of Incommodo’s head, leaving the Toa unconscious.“I don’t think it was deadly. ‘E should be fine.” Krax smirked.- - -Incommodo’s eyes opened, and he realised he was sitting against the back of some kind of cage.“Oh, you’re awake.” A white Mystix stood in front of him. The transparent blue highlights on his armour marked him out as something special. “I am Zarnarax, Emperor of the True Mystix.”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 6 – The ReturnIncommodo looked curiously at Zarnarax. “True Mystix?”“Back in the day, we Mystix were the first life created by the Great Beings. As such, some of us were flawed, but none quite so much as Ignotus.”“The dark and scary guy with the attitude problem and delusions of grandeur?”“Um... yes. I assume you’ve met him, then?” If Zarnarax was surprised, he didn’t show it, retaining the steely gaze with which he stared at Incommodo.“Indeed I have, and I have one thing to tell you, ‘Emperor’.”“And what’s that?”“Duck.” Incommodo pushed out with his hand and the bars of the cage ripped off, flying into Zarnarax and hitting the wall on the other side of the room. “I did warn you.”It appeared the energy he had wasted with Xylak’s ‘tests’ had returned to him. Good. He held the bars magnetically, pushing them in against Zarnarax and crushing him. “Now, somewhere out there, there are a lot of people who are going to die unless I get there.”“And why are you telling me?” Zarnarax growled, doing his best to force the bars back.“Because you’re going to help me find them.”- - -“So, how are you even here? Last I checked, all the Mystix were dead. And I should know – I killed them!” Incommodo was standing in a cavern, surrounded by Mystix.“History lesson time...” Zarnarax sighed. “Back in the day, we were some of the Great Beings’ first creations. Ignotus was the first, I was the second. He was like a brother to me, although we had some... differing opinions on how our species should be led. He believed that we Mystix are ultimately superior to all others. It was my opinion that we should stay away from society, which our violent tendencies only seemed to damage.“After we were banished, Ignotus followed my advice. However, when the Cataclysm came, it was time for us to decide. Ignotus left, followed by the majority of the Mystix, with plans to conquer. I left with my own followers to colonise another island, Voya Nui. However, one of the Mata Nui Mystix had a change of heart, and joined us. She would be the expert on what happened after this point.” Zarnarax gestured to his left, and a blue and green Mystix walked out, with black chest armour rather than the metallic colours he saw on the others. “Allow me to introduce Aru.”Aru cleared her throat. “Hello.”“Why are you alive?” Incommodo asked.“I betrayed the other Mystix. It’s my fault they were sealed away. It’s my fault they’re dead.” Aru refused to look directly at Incommodo, her eyes never shifting from her feet, which she shuffled uncomfortably.“That’s ridiculous. I’m the one who sank them all to the bottom of the ocean.” Incommodo shrugged. “So, now that I have the background information, can you help get me to New Atero?”“New Atero is a long way from here.” Zarnarax sighed. “But I may be able to sort something out for you. You see, while creating the Mystix, there were a few attempts to ‘improve’ us. Most resulted in the deaths of the improvements, but one survived. I allowed him to stay with us, so I think I can call in a favour from him.”- - -“He is... big.” Incommodo noted.“Don’t stare. He doesn’t like it when you stare.” Zarnarax warned.They stood before an unusually large Mystix, its scaled skin gleaming. One of its eyes opened, and looked over Zarnarax and Incommodo. “What do you want?”“Our friend here,” Zarnarax pointed at Incommodo, “Would like to get to New Atero.”“So what?” The large Mystix sat up, and glared at Incommodo. “Let him walk.”“I’m afraid it’s not that simple. He has a sort of ‘time limit’.”The Mystix turned to look at Zarnarax. “No.”“You haven’t even heard my question.”“I don’t need to.”“I allowed you accommodation, Aclaraung.”“And I allowed your head to remain attached to your shoulders.” The Mystix, whose name seemed to be Aclaraung, growled.“Okay, thankyou for your time, I’m sure I can make other arrangements...” Incommodo attempted to walk away, only to be stopped by Zarnarax, who grabbed his arm.“Aclaraung, you owe me.” Zarnarax hissed.“I owe nothing to no-one.” Aclaraung lay down again, closing his eyes.“Aclaraung, if this guy is right, the world is going to end. Do you really want that kind of weight on your shoulders?”Aclaraung’s eyes opened, looking from Zarnarax to Incommodo. “The end of the world?”“We’re talking big, giant-robot-intent-on-destroying-absolutely-everything-style apocalypse.” Incommodo explained.The huge Mystix paused, a thoughtful expression crossing his face. “Fine. I’ll help you.”- - -Nekron sat on a rock, observing the work of the other Shadows. “Left a little... left a little... right a little... there!” A shattered green orb was moved into place on the massive metal object that lay before him. “It’s done. It is finally done. MOVE IT INTO PLACE!”A group of Shadows, led by Laz, grabbed hold of the wires dangling from the back of it and pulled it along towards an even larger metal structure. It clicked softly into place, and they ran away as the two orbs lit up, and a green light filled a hole below them.Two long appendages ripped free, and stuck into the ground, pushing upwards. Another two followed, and the giant stood up. “I... live...”Nekron bowed before his master. “We have done all we can. Your victory is assured.”“My... victory?” A wheezing sound escaped the monstrosity, almost like a failed attempt at laughing. “You are foolish, Nekron... I do not want I victory... I want revenge.“I am Vorex, devourer of paradoxes, and I shall devour all who stand in my way.” Vorex stood tall, and raised his upper arms high, towering at a height rivalling even those of the tallest mountains, in a terrible form capable of striking fear into the hearts of all who dared to look upon it. “I will flatten the mountains, I will dry the seas, and I will wipe all life from the face of this miserable planet!”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 7 – The Reunion:The land below had become blurred, whizzing past, each black rock like a line on the plain sand.Due to it being sand, it wasn’t all that interesting to look at, although Incommodo didn’t particularly care. “WOOHOO!”Aclaraung muttered something particularly foul about Incommodo’s intelligence, before swooping down towards the ground. He did not believe that such an imbecile should have been allowed to touch him, nevermind sit on his back.Dust rose up as the monstrous Mystix finally landed, and he lowered his head to let Incommodo reach the ground. “New Atero isn’t far from here. Now leave.”Incommodo felt like making a comment about Aclaraung’s manners, but the teeth which lined the creatures large jaws were enough to convince him otherwise.Aclaraung seemed to have been a kind fellow, because Incommodo only had to walk for around half an hour before he reached New Atero. At this rate, it would be dawn by the time he found anyone. This is just bloody brilliant.- - -“So, it’s decided, then?” Pirok looked at the other members of the group, dubbed ‘Apocalypse Team’ by Proditor.“If by, ‘decided’ you mean that we are about to go to a crater that we up until recently did not know existed with absolutely no plan when we get there other than possibly running for our lives and/or dying, then yes.” Proditor smirked.“Well, Proditor, that is one way of putting it...” Pirok sighed. “Come on, let’s go. We only have a few more hours ‘til dawn, and something tells me that they’re gonna attack before then.”Pirok left the room, followed by a nervous-looking Arkrak, leaving Proditor and Nikarra the last ones in the room. “So...”Nikarra glared at Proditor, and walked away. “If you so much as think of touching me, I will kill you.”“I definitely prefer the natives...” The Toa of Air muttered.- - -Deep in the darkness, something moved.It was a serpent, one of the creatures of Spherus Magna. Its mind, however, did not seem to belong to it. “Reichenbach...”The Toa of Sonics turned, and looked at the snake. “You have found a new method by which to contact me, I see.”It chuckled dryly. “I sense that you wish to go back on our agreement?”“I’ve changed my mind.” Reichenbach sighed. “I don’t want to die just like everyone else. I want to die with some dignity.”The serpent looked thoughtfully at Reichenbach for a few seconds. “Alright then. When the time comes, I will make sure that you die with what dignity you deserve.” Its eyes seemed to be smirking at the Toa of Sonics, like it had told a joke at his expense. Reichenbach, however, did not seem to pick up on this.The snake retreated, and if Reichenbach tried to follow it, he would find that the creature had disappeared altogether, almost as though it had never existed.- - -As Incommodo approached New Atero, he heard a twig crunching behind him. He stopped, and glanced behind him out of the corner of his eye, just in time to see a figure dart behind a rock. He was being followed.He turned around, and walked over to the rock. “Show yourself.”A dark blue head looked at Incommodo. It was immediately followed by a body.“Aru?” Incommodo was slightly confused as to why the Mystix would be following him. “What are you doing here?”“You said the world was ending,” Aru explained; “I came here to help you save it.”“Well, thankyou, but I can handle this on my own.” Incommodo hissed, beginning to walk away.“No, you can’t. No-one could manage something like that on their own.”“Watch me.”Aru caught up with Incommodo within seconds. “No. You are going to accept my help, Incommodo, or you will regret it.”“This is a big change from the shy, depressed Aru back in the cave.” Incommodo pointed out.“You said that you destroyed the Mystix. I still feel responsibility, but that is one thing that we did together without even realising. We have something in common, and I won’t watch the person who finished what I started go out and kill himself in vain.”“You don’t even know me.”“I know enough, Incommodo. I know your goals. I know that they cannot be reached by one person. What’s that phrase again...” Aru stood thoughtfully for around a second. “Unity, Duty, Destiny. Unity comes first.”“I don’t have time for this...”“Yes, you do. You’re a Toa. From what I know of your society, you are meant to follow those Virtues, no matter what.”Incommodo glared at Aru. “Even if I refuse to take your help, you’re still going to follow me, aren’t you?”“Yes.”“Then come on. We have a planet to save.” Incommodo sighed.- - -New Atero only had one entrance. Due to that, Incommodo and Aru were approaching the exact same place as Pirok, Arkrak, Proditor and Nikarra. A collision was inevitable. “Incommodo?” Arkrak was the first to notice the Toa of Magnetism.“Um... Hi?” Incommodo waved at the four Toa.“You told us he was dead.” Proditor growled, reaching for his sword.“He was.” Arkrak raised an eyebrow.“Incommodo, assuming it is actually you-““It is.” Incommodo cut in.“Shut up. Assuming it is actually you,” Pirok continued, “How is it that your friend here thinks you’re dead?”“Oh. I jumped off a cliff.” Incommodo shrugged.“Incommodo, last I checked, most people who jumped off cliffs didn’t survive.” Pirok pointed out.“I’m not ‘most people’, am I?”“No, no you’re not.” The Toa of Fire sighed. “Who’s that with you?”“Allow me to introduce Aru, the Mystix who sealed away the majority of her species and now takes responsibility for their deaths despite the fact that it was my fault.”Now it was Aru’s turn to wave.Nikarra nodded. “I know you.”“I don’t know you.” Aru looked curiously at the Toa of Lightning.“I know.”Proditor looked around. “So, what now? Back to base? Group hug? Sing along?” Upon seeing everyone turn and glare at him, Proditor frowned. “Guessing it’s not going to be a group hug, then.”“Incommodo and I have a job to do. You can come along if you wish.” Nikarra explained.Incommodo raised his hand. “For the record, I’m not aware of what this job involves. In fact, I’m not even aware of what this job is.”“The other Time-Keepers, Incommodo.”“Oh, that job.” Incommodo chuckled. “Nope, still not getting what the job is.”Nikarra shook her head. “We have to find them, Incommodo.”“Oh. Okay then. Sounds like fun. Except a few of them are kind of... evil.”Arkrak chose this moment to cut in. “Hold on, I think I missed a chapter. Time-Keepers?”“We’ll explain on the way.” Nikarra began walking away.Incommodo shrugged, and followed her, the rest of the group not far behind.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 8 – A Change of HeartReichenbach picked himself up off the cold floor of the cave, and walked slowly out of it. He wasn’t sure how long he’d been in there – a few hours, at least. Judging by the fact that it was still night, and the world hadn’t ended yet, that was likely correct.In the distance, he could see New Atero. He didn’t know that Nikarra, Incommodo, and the rest of ‘Apocalypse Team’ were approaching him. Of course, they were still quite a distance off.Reichenbach didn’t have a plan. That was something new for him. He didn’t allow his nonchalance to fail, of course, but it was slightly disconcerting.He had always had a plan, but now his plan had failed him. There was nothing more he could do to continue it. It was over. At least, it was over until he got a new plan. But he didn’t really have time for that.He sighed, slightly, but didn’t give any further indication of what was going on in his mind. The desert was flat, lifeless – sound could carry across it.Just as he was thinking that, he heard voices on the wind. At first, he thought they might be figments of his imagination, caused by his insomnia and insanity, but he recognised one of the voices as Incommodo’s. He was back.Reichenbach smirked.- - -“The Time-Keepers were assembled to protect an object, the Key of Time. No-one truly knows what it is.” Nikarra explained. “All we were told is that whoever holds the Key controls time.”Arkrak nodded. “So now we have a mythical object of massive power involved?”“Except it’s not mythical, it’s real.” Nikarra sighed. “It’s also split into six pieces, one held by each Time-Keeper. When the Six are brought together, the Key becomes whole again.”“I think I’ve got an idea of your plan.” Incommodo noted. “Basically, you’re planning to get the Key and then use it to destroy the giant robot that is going to kill everyone.”Proditor sped up in order to stand between Incommodo and Nikarra. “Excuse me for one second, but could you two shut up and give us a chance to catch up on everything that’s happening right now. One minute you’re discussing Line-Creepers and the next you’ve moved on to robots that are going to end the world, and overall I’m only getting the impression that you’re both completely insane. And I know insane.”“He does. And, admittedly, I have actually been diagnosed.” Incommodo shrugged.“Well, I haven’t, and I’d prefer if you stayed out of this.” Nikarra hissed.“Okay, up to you.” Proditor stopped walking and allowed the other two to overtake him.“Hello, do-gooders.” A sing-song voice rang out across the desert.Incommodo raised an eyebrow. “Oh. That was suspiciously easy.”A figure walked into view, but it wasn’t Reichenbach.“Oh, now that’s just cheating.” Incommodo pouted.Nekron sent a spear of shadow lancing at Incommodo, who quickly teleported out of the way. “I’ve always thought myself good at impressions.”Incommodo pulled out his blade, his left hand lingering over where his second one would have been.“Looking for this?” Another figure materialised beside Incommodo, and lashed out at him, stabbing him in the shoulder.Incommodo fell to the ground, crying out in pain, and pulled the knife out of his shoulder. “My... blade?” He looked up at the being who had attacked him. “Ignotus?”“Laz.” The Mystix chuckled, turning his attention to Pirok. “Well, well, well. Look who it is.” In seconds, Laz was right in front of the Toa of Fire. “This time, hand-to-hand. No guns. No weapons. No powers.” He lashed out at Pirok with a punch, which was quickly blocked.“I don’t even know who you are!” Pirok replied, faking a punch at Laz’s chest and hitting him in the side with a roundhouse kick when he dodged.Laz, winded, took a second before responding, throwing a punch at Pirok’s chest. Although it hit, it did very little – Laz was in no way a master of hand-to-hand combat.Pirok brought his fist down on the Mystix’s back, and then kneed him in the face, leaving Laz lying on the ground.“Next time, you better think that through better.” Pirok taunted.“I... already... did...” While the others had been distracted, Nekron had ripped free from Pulse’s corpse, and was flying towards Incommodo, his legs now nothing more than a blur of writhing shadows. Aru was the only one who managed to react in time, pushing Incommodo out of the way, and taking the hit herself. She stepped back, and then looked up, her eyes glowing red. “I’ll admit, it’s not quite what I’m used to... but the powers should be a little more fun.”Nekron, now controlling Aru, flew up into the air above the others, beginning to create a massive wave of water in the distance. However, the water fell along with the Shadow as he (although his host was female, Nekron himself was still male) was hit by a powerful sonic attack, leaving him unconscious.Sarcastic clapping rang out. “Well done, everyone. Well done.”Laz shifted weakly on the ground, but received a kick in the face from Pirok. “Who are you?”The Toa of Sonics came into view, smirking. “Me? I’m Reichenbach. I’d have thought they would have told you about me by now.”“Reichenbach, we need your help. Vorex-““I know what’s happening, Nikarra. I played a rather large part in causing it.” Reichenbach’s blood-red eyes scanned the group, cold and calculating. “And I’ve had a change of heart. I will help you. Also, someone is going to want to sterilise the wound in Incommodo’s shoulder, and bandage it.”Right enough, Incommodo was lying on the ground, his hand (now stained red) covering his bleeding shoulder.Pirok glared at Reichenbach, suspicious of the newcomer. “Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t accept any help that you offered. But, sadly, these aren’t normal circumstances. You’re in. For now. Come on, let’s get Inc back to New Atero...”

Edited by Vorex: Keeper of Time

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 9 – Code-CrackingIncommodo opened his eyes, slowly. He was lying on a bed somewhere, and his shoulder stung like Karz.As he sat up, he noticed how dark the room was. Turning, he saw two eyes glowing red in a corner. “Who’s there?”“Just me.” Reichenbach chuckled, walking out and revealing himself in the thin beam of moonlight that shone through a large crack running through the wall.“What do you want?” Incommodo tried to reach for one of his blades, but immediately clutched his shoulder – he wouldn’t be doing much with his arm any time soon.“Careful with that.” Reichenbach nodded at Incommodo’s wound. “And I’m here to have a chat with you. Our last few haven’t gone all that well.”“I think it’s more your fault than mine, seeing as you’ve been the one trying to kill me.” The Toa of Magnetism hissed.“What’s a little attempted homicide between lifetime rivals?”“Do you really want me to answer that?”Reichenbach frowned. “I suppose not.”“So, why are you actually here?” Incommodo asked.“There are certain things that can’t be messed with. Destiny does not do what we want it to. I want to change that, and you do too. We have a common enemy.” Reichenbach smirked.“And what if I say no? What if I don’t want to work with you?”“Thing is, I know you’re not going to. You’ve changed, Incommodo, and you know it. You aren’t a hero any more. Now... now you’re so much more.”“So what am I, then? A villain?”“You are a hero who is no longer limited by morality.” Reichenbach explained. “Villains do things that are not for the good of society, and sometimes, on rare occasions, do have morals. Some people are considered heroes despite the fact that they kill, but Toa are limited by their Code. You are ready to drop the Code; you are ready to do what it takes. To do everything it takes. You are ready to save the world.”- - -Pirok glared at Nikarra. “You’ve got a lot of explaining to do.”“Fine,” spat Nikarra; “Where do you want me to begin?”“That... thing, Nekron, inside Pulse, that was a Shadow?”“Yes.”“And what exactly is a Shadow?”“Shadows are malevolent spirits, led by Vorex, once one of the six Time-Keepers.”“Once?” Pirok raised an eyebrow.“He betrayed us. Tried to steal the Key. Not long before that, he... he changed, inside. He wasn’t the same.”“What happened to him?”“We first noticed when we found him in his room, rocking back and forth, muttering something about things being in walls.”“Did you ever look into the walls?”“The walls looked into us.” Nikarra sighed. “Vorex was right. To this day, I still don’t know what it was. But, even before that, things started going wrong. We were placed in Va-Metru, which I assume is separate from our universe, and the whole city started falling apart. We got out the only way we could – we died.“After I escaped, I ended up back where I was before, although I looked a lot different. Eventually, I got out, and became a Toa. Aru – the blue person from earlier – sealed away the Mystix somewhere around that time, and another of the Time-Keepers made me aware. By focusing my powers, I froze them in time. Although the Mystix were evil, I couldn’t let a species die out. It didn’t stop it from, though.”“But... Aru, she’s still alive, but with Nekron inside her, right?” Pirok seemed confused.“In order to take a host, the Shadow kills the body’s previous owner. Aru still exists physically, but only as a corpse. The culture of the Mystix has died out, although the species lives on in a few who weren’t in the tribe that was wiped out. You witnessed a species going extinct. And that won’t be the last time you do.“Vorex – I mentioned him earlier – is back. All those Shadows, he got them out so that they could build him a new body, a giant, robotic body, which he can use to get revenge.”“By wiping out all life on the planet, leaving him to rule over his pile of ashes, blah blah blah.” Incommodo added, walking into the room. His shoulder was now bandaged, but he wouldn’t be able to use his arm much.Nikarra nodded upon seeing Incommodo enter. “I see you’re feeling better.”“Yes, I am. Reichenbach won’t be feeling anything for a little while though. Poor guy, fell out of the window.” Although Incommodo tried to fake sadness, his eyes betrayed the smirk that he feared to show.“Are you alright, Incommodo?” Arkrak seemed worried. He knew his friend could be a little strange at times, but not... not like this.“I’m fine, Arkrak. In fact, I’m better than fine.” Incommodo pulled over a chair and sat down. “So, what’s the plan?”“We’re going to hit them where it hurts.” Pirok explained.“No, you’re not. You’re going to be staying on the defensive side of things.” Incommodo’s tone seemed unusually threatening. “Unless, of course, you feel like dying tonight. Because if you do, then be my guests. But enough people have died already, and it’s all been my fault. I wasn’t able to act. I was trapped inside the shackles of my morals. But now, I’m able to see the world properly. And I swear on Aru, on Les, on Vakama and on everyone else who has died for the sick dreams of whoever is orchestrating this, no more innocents will die. As long as there is still breath in my body, I will not allow these monsters to take away everything that I am supposed to protect.”Pirok stood up, and glared into Incommodo’s eyes. “Incommodo, you’re a Toa, you need to follow the code—““SCREW THE CODE!” Incommodo shouted, standing up. “The code wasn’t made for times like this, Pirok. You know it as well as I do.”The Toa of Fire stood for a second more, before delivering a punch into Incommodo’s gut and sitting down, leaving the Toa of Magnetism doubled-over. “It doesn’t matter what I know. The code is symbolic, Incommodo. It represents us. It is our actions that prove we are true Toa.”Incommodo returned to his seat, and sat in silence for a few moments. “So, I assume you’ve made your decision?”“We’re defending.” Pirok noticed a smirk from Incommodo. “But don’t think that means I agree with you. There was a Toa, a while back, and I could almost call him my friend. When I met you at those gates, I thought I’d found him again. But Arkrak was right. Incommodo – the Incommodo I knew – is dead. You’re someone else entirely.”- - -Nekron – still in Aru’s body – dumped Pulse’s corpse on the ground. “You are a failure, Laz.”“I’m a schemer, not a fighter.”“Well, we don’t need any schemers. We need fighters, and we need target practice.”“And what’s that supposed to mean?”In a flash, Nekron was a Shadow again, standing so close to Laz that he could feel the cold that surrounded the strange being. “This.”He dug his hand into Ignotus’ corpse, and ripped Laz (in Shadow form) out of it, before turning his hand into a spear and smashing it through the Mystix’s head. After squirming on the ground for a few seconds, Laz lay still, and then evaporated.“Time to find myself some fighters.” Nekron smirked, returning to Pulse and picking himself up off the ground.- - -A chill wind blew through the desert, stirring up sand in its wake, causing it to swirl and dance over the metal shells half-buried in the ground.The armour had once inspired fear, but now the closest it could get was laughter or pity. One in particular drew Nekron’s attention, its arm stretched, reaching out for the staff that lay just beyond its reach.The Rahkshi’s yellow armour had faded in the years it had been left lying in the desert, and there were dents from sandstorms, combined with webs, and sometimes eggs, from creatures that had made their homes inside the empty shells.The Shadow kicked the hand away, before picking up the staff to examine it. It was an interesting design. Seemed like something he could pull off.He held the staff high in the air, darkness swirling around it. Suddenly, the night grew colder and darker, a flood of Shadows sweeping down on the Rahkshi armour and claiming it for themselves. The eyes of the Rahkshi beside Nekron flickered weakly. He chuckled, and brought his heel down on its face – the lower Shadows could die if their hosts were destroyed, and Nekron needed to make an example of someone. Troops could get restless, and rebellious, and a revolt was something that he wouldn’t tolerate.Shadows and ice built up below him, pushing the ground upwards and making a small podium from which he could view his army. It was magnificent – both the Shadows that had hosts and those that didn’t. “Ladies, Gentlemen, monstrosities of all ages, our time has come. We shall rise out of the dust and the ashes and grind those that stood above us into the dirt where they left us for dead. BY THIS TIME TOMORROW, NEW ATERO WILL BE ASHES, AND WE SHALL BE VICTORIOUS!”The possessed Rahkshi shells raised their staffs into the air, their screeches echoing out across the flat landscape, the wind sweeping the sound in towards New Atero like some kind of demonic thunder, foreshadowing the death and destruction that now was surely on its way.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 10 – DominoesFrustro was uneasy.It was not an emotion that the Toa was used to, and it definitely wasn’t one that he liked. The League of Shades had been spending a lot of time nearby him. He felt that they were watching him.No, he didn’t just feel it – he knew it. Something was wrong, he realised that now. First they told him that there weren’t any threats to the city’s safety, then they had people who were trying to help arrested... it almost seemed like they were up to something.In fact, not just almost. He knew this stuff, that’s why he’d been hired in the first place. The League wasn’t doing anything good.There was a knock on the door of his office – why did people always have to go to his office? He was going to find someone and give them the job of sitting there and having their office door knocked all day, and see how they liked it – and the Toa of Fire from earlier walked in, along with a few others. “Alright, first, what are you doing in my office? Second, get out of my office immediately after answering.”“First, we’re here to warn you about an attack.” Pirok explained. “Second, we aren’t leaving your office.”“Yes, you are. Get out of my office.” There was silence for a few moments, with Frustro glaring at the group, before they walked out. Only one member of the group stayed, his head tilted down, looking at the floor. “Well, what are you waiting for? Get out.” The Toa looked up, and Frustro recognised him as Incommodo. “Well, look who it is. I was told you were dead.”“You’re not that lucky.” In a flash, Incommodo was directly in front of Frustro, his hand gripping the Toa of Sonics’ throat. “Listen carefully. You’re going to help us, or I’m going to break your neck and no-one’s ever going to know. Nod if you understand.”Frustro nodded, his eyes filled with fear. Any other day, he would have laughed in Incommodo’s face. The Toa of Magnetism would never even consider actually doing something like that. But there was something in his eyes, something dark, something that told Frustro that Incommodo honestly didn’t care whether he lived or died. Frustro had seen that look before, in the many insane beings he had watched threaten the lives of others.“Good.” Incommodo smiled, and Frustro almost breathed a sigh of relief, except the Toa of Magnetism tightened his grip on his throat. “Now, listen carefully. First things first, you’re going to call my friends back in. Then, you’re going to listen to everything they say, and follow the battle plan that they’ve set up.”“Battle... plan?” Frustro croaked. Everything had started turning slightly red...“They tried to tell you. There’s a storm coming. And when it hits, everything is going to end. We’re talking about the apocalypse, Frustro.”“I’ll... I’ll get them...” Everything had started blurring in and out of focus.“Good.” Incommodo let go of Frustro, and opened the door. “You can come back in now!”Since the group didn’t seem to have gone far, Pirok was standing at the door in seconds, and looked from Incommodo to the wide-eyed Frustro. “How, exactly, did you talk him into it again?”“Trade secret.” Upon seeing Frustro open his mouth to speak, Incommodo shot a glare at the Toa of Sonics, who quickly looked down.“What do you want me to do?” Frustro’s voice was shaking slightly. He had dealt with multiple criminals and killers, but until this point in his career he had never actually had one of them wrap their hands around his throat. Especially unexpected was that it was Incommodo trying to kill him, as opposed to the other way around.“You’re in charge here, right?” Upon hearing Pirok speak, Frustro nodded. “Organise everyone. There’s a serious threat to New Atero.”“I’ll organise everyone who’s left.” Frustro hissed. After the terribly anticlimactic battle against Marendar, quite a few people had chosen to quit.“We need to stay defensive – we don’t have a chance if we attack.” Pirok explained.“There’s only one entrance. If we put up defences there, no-one’s getting in without much difficulty.”“We’ll leave you to it, then.” Pirok turned and prepared to walk away, only to be stopped by Frustro.“Aren’t you going to help prepare? This is your idea. I don’t even know why I’m trusting you.”“You’re trusting him because it’s the truth.” Incommodo sighed. “You’re trusting him because you know, in your heart, that something isn’t right. And lastly, you’re trusting him because you know that I will at the very least do serious damage to you if you don’t. Which, to be honest, is disappointing. You’re a coward, Frustro. By that logic, locking yourself up in this city shouldn’t be a problem.”- - -Arkrak wasn’t inside with the rest of the group.Instead, he was outside on the street, looking out as the sun rose up–But it was too early to be dawn, the sun wasn’t green, and last time he had checked there had only been one of them. That was in stark contrast to the two bright green orbs which looked down at New Atero in the distance. A third one appeared, slightly below the other two, and a beam of light shot from it, collapsing the arch which stood over New Atero’s gates to allow the huge being to pass. Arkrak couldn’t see its legs through the buildings which stood between Arkrak and it, but he could see the two arms which reached out, ripping a building out of the ground and using it to knock over another. It was an unusual sight, the buildings collapsing like some strange, giant dominoes. Vorex turned and looked at the Toa of Sonics, who ducked into the building.- - -“Hugerobotrippingbuildingsdominoesarmageddonwe’reallgonnadie.” Arkrak spoke incredibly quickly, to the point where the others (who he collided with in the corridor) could only just understand what he was saying.“Say what?” Proditor appeared to be exceptionally confused.Arkrak breathed slowly, and then tried to explain again. “Huge robot. Attacking New Atero. Using buildings like dominoes.”Proditor’s mouth made a little ‘o’, and then he nodded. “That I can understand.”Nikarra’s eyes widened and she looked at the others. “We have to move. Now. I need to get the other Time-Keepers here...”“That won’t be a problem.” A Turaga chuckled, walking out. “Nikarra, Incommodo. It’s good to see you again. You too, Pirok.”Pirok raised an eyebrow in confusion. “Do I know you?”The Turaga seemed a little surprised, but then laughed. “My apologies. Right body, wrong time.”“I’m sorry, who are you again?” Proditor’s wit had, for the second time in only so many minutes, failed him.“I am Strave, one of the Time-Keepers.” He explained, looking up at the Toa. “Now, we have one other to find before our company is complete.”“You said something about him...” Nikarra seemed to have calmed down quite a bit now.“And you didn’t act on it. Now the whole future is in jeopardy.” Strave sighed, shaking his head. “We have to leave if we are to arrive in time.”“What about New Atero?” Pirok interrupted. “It is our job as Toa to protect it.”“Then you do your job, and we’ll do ours.” Something stirred in Strave’s eyes, making them seem strangely reptilian for a moment. “Come along. Not far now.”- - -A circle had been cleared out at the entrance of New Atero, the buildings lying in ruins. Seemingly happy with his work, Vorex turned and let out a terrible screech, which echoed back.Those who were there and still living were met with the terrifying site of the Rahkshi, descending upon the city like starved animals who had sighted fresh meat. Nekron stood calmly and watched them run, smirking. He had plans of his own.The Shadow walked casually through the chaos, seeming at home in the destruction. He watched as the group of Toa and one Turaga left the police building, and silently followed them as they approached a large structure and walked in. Waiting a moment, Nekron entered, expecting to be met with the shocked faces of those who he had watched enter, but instead seeing nothing. He frowned, and examined the floor. A trapdoor. No bother.He walked over it and sat at the other side of the room. He could wait. He had all the time in the world.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 11 – PrideDust fell from the roof of the tunnel, showering the beings below. In the dim light provided by the few lightstones which hung on the walls, they could see that the tunnel wasn’t going to be ending any time soon.After realising that they weren’t going to see anything much, Pirok created a small ball of fire in his hand, and used it as a torch. It didn’t do much good.The passage was going slowly downwards, and after what felt like an eternity the team finally reached the bottom – a small stone room, with a Matoran sitting cross-legged on the other side of it.His head was tilted down, and he looked like it had been a while since he had last moved. A small cobweb reached from the upper half of his right arm to the wall, although the spider which must have lived in it at one point had long since died or rotted away.He was in a sad, sad state, but it was still undoubtedly the Ta-Matoran. He tried to lift his head to look at the visitors, but after a few seconds of straining he allowed it to fall again, like the effort was simply too much for him. His once bright eyes now glowed dimly, barely providing any light at all, and when he spoke it sounded like it pained him just to move his lips. “Why are you here?”“Vorex has returned.” Strave explained. “We have a plan to defeat him, but we need you for it.”“Leave me in peace.” The small being tried to fill his voice with venom and anger, but it sounded more like resignation.“We need you. We’re planning to form the Key once again.”At this, a new spark appeared in the Ta-Matoran’s eyes, and he leapt up. “You’re planning what?”“It’s the only way.” Nikarra stood between the Matoran and Strave, hoping to prevent any kind of violence. “We can’t defeat him otherwise.”“You don’t know what it can do.”“Neither do you.”The Ta-Matoran sighed and looked at the group. “I suppose it is our last hope. I’ll help you. But when things go Madu-shaped, it will be my job to say ‘I told you so’.”- - -The journey upwards through the tunnel was just as long as, if not longer than, the journey down. The Ta-Matoran was still weak, and unable to walk that distance, so Pirok had to carry him most of the way. Strave walked ahead of the others once again, and opened the trap-door. Incommodo was the last to leave, and the first to realise that they weren’t alone.Slow clapping rung out, and the other members of the group turned as one to see Nekron. “Look who decided to show up!”Incommodo, due to having been the last out and being the only one who hadn’t begun walking towards the door, was cut off from everyone else when a blast of shadow brought part of the ceiling down.Pirok looked at the others, then to the barrier that had been created.“Go on without me! I’ll catch up!” Incommodo ordered.“Are you sure?” Pirok wasn’t entirely certain that leaving Incommodo behind with that... thing was a good idea.“Yes! Now go!”“May as well trust him.” Pirok shrugged, although he knew that trusting Incommodo as he was at the moment was very unlikely to end well.- - -A Rahkshi walked through the streets, separate from the others. Suddenly, the spikes on its spine quivered, and it raised its head, sniffing the air.The creature got down on all fours, creeping along the street, until it reached a small hut, nearly untouched. The Shadow within it could smell the fear of the beings inside.Slowly it stood up, shivering in anticipation as it slowly opened the door of the hut. If it could have, it would have grinned as it was greeted with the sight of two Ga-Matoran cowering in a corner. They would have died if not for what happened next.Suddenly, the Rahkshi was hit by a small ball of flame. It turned around and began to approach the being who had created it, a Toa of Fire. It made a strange hissing sound as it got nearer, shadows beginning to swirl around the ends of the staff it held in its right hand. It didn’t notice the other Toa who stood behind it.Nikarra crept up behind the Rahkshi, and placed her hand on the small piece of armour between its head and its spine, channelling electricity into the armour. The creature writhed and screamed, but she stood her ground until it finally stopped, letting it fall to the ground and hitting it with another bolt of lightning, for good measure. “It’s dead.”“You think?” Proditor walked out, revealing himself, followed by Arkrak, Strave, Reichenbach and the Ta-Matoran.“Come on, we need to move. Get to Vorex.” Pirok sighed. “Incommodo’ll be here soon.”“I wouldn’t be so sure.” The Ta-Matoran croaked.“And why not?”“I have my reasons...”- - -Earlier:“Ah, Incommodo. At last we can talk without fear of interruption.” Nekron smirked, his eyes glowing crimson behind Pulse’s Tryna.Behind the wall now between them, Incommodo could hear the group. He turned, facing it. “Go on without me! I’ll catch up!”“Are you sure?” It was Pirok who replied.“Yes! Now go!” He heard a little more discussion, and then the group walking away, before he turned back to Nekron. “What do you want to talk about?”“You’re strong. Proud.” Nekron walked closer to Incommodo, examining the Toa of Magnetism.“Thankyou?”“It wasn’t a compliment.” The expression on the Shadow’s face changed, displaying something like sadness. “Pride always comes before a fall. No exceptions. Difference is, you aren’t falling, you’re walking down, slowly and steadily.”“Why are you telling me this?”“I don’t want you to walk. I don’t want you to fall, either. I want to see you jump.” Nekron smirked, and suddenly he was directly in front of Incommodo, pulling out one of the Toa of Magnetism’s blades. “No-one will ever know. They left, just like you told them to.”“What are you suggesting?” Incommodo asked the question even though he already knew the answer.“I’m suggesting that you kill me, Incommodo.” The Shadow smiled, holding out the blade.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 12 – The FallThe group moved stealthily through the streets of New Atero, approaching the entrance where Vorex still stood, watching over the destruction and chaos being caused by his minions. If the heroes could see what he saw, they would have lost hope long ago.New Atero was, in its day, a marvellous city, filled with buildings tall and small alike. Like any city, it had its problems, but it was glorious nonetheless, proof that the Agori and Matoran could work together to create something wonderful.Now, as the thinnest rays of daylight began to hit it, it was enough to make those who had worked so hard to create it weep. The walls had fallen, the buildings were torn apart, the city which once gleamed with a golden light was now dull and grey, smoke rising from various points within it. Sure, there were survivors, but they were hidden away where the Shadows couldn’t find them.Although that didn’t stop them from trying.The team had only managed to take down the one Rahkshi – with one gone, the Shadows could no longer be surprised by the same tricks.Pirok crouched behind the ruins of a building, likely someone’s home, to get a good look at Vorex, before turning back to the others. “I think we’re close enough to it, and there don’t seem to be any Rahkshi nearby.”There was, however, a reason that the Rahkshi weren’t there – they were searching for survivors.There weren’t many to be found, true, but that didn’t matter to them. One Rahkshi was more than a match for any amount of Matoran or Agori, and the Toa hadn’t had any time to prepare.One of the Rahkshi walked through the centre of New Atero, glancing at the empty, broken windows of the homes, of the flames that burnt within. For a second, its head flicked to the side, where it had seen a flash of brown in the corner of its eye. Whatever it had seen had moved on, but it was enough to let the Rahkshi know that something was wrong. It stood still for a few moments, carefully examining the area around it, before deciding that there was no threat posed to it and moving on. Still, it walked slightly slower, and took slightly longer to look around, as it continued.- - -Incommodo looked at Nekron, and then began laughing. “You aren’t serious, are you? Why would I kill you, when there’s nothing I could gain from it?”“I’m one of the highest in the ranks of the Shadows.” Nekron hissed. “If you remove me, once Vorex is gone, they will have no purpose, no leader. Even now, Vorex is no tactician – all that has happened so far has been up to me. I am Nekron. I am the most powerful Shadow in existence.”“Thankyou.” Incommodo nodded, his face serious again, and turned away and began walking.“For what?” No answer. “For what, Incommodo?”The Shadow became visibly uneasy as his enemy began laughing. He looked from the Toa of Magnetism to the blade in his own hand, then to the hilt sticking out of his- the hilt. His eyes widened as he realised what happened. Incommodo had faked laughter so that Nekron would be distracted, and he could stab him. He had done permanent damage to Pulse’s corpse.It wouldn’t be a problem, of course. Nekron was a powerful Shadow, having his host seriously damaged wouldn’t affect him. He nearly wanted to laugh himself, until he noticed the black liquid that flowed out of his mouth when he opened it. But... that was impossible. Only the lower Shadows could be killed.He tore himself from his host, screaming in pain. It was true. As he looked down at himself, he could see the black slowly draining out of him, shades of grey and white appearing in its place. He panicked, trying to grab hold of the darkness which poured out of him in a steady stream and return it to his form, which was growing ever paler. In the dark puddle he could see his reflection, as the whiteness spread out across him, finally reaching his face. Last of all, his eyes changed, going from their original dark red to a luminous green. And as he stood there, watching everything that made people fear him drip away, he began to cry, the black tears leaving oily trails down his white face.Incommodo flicked his wrist, the blades returning to him, before using his powers to fly upwards and break through the roof, leaving Nekron.- - -A grin spread across the face of the dark blue Toa as he saw his friends and allies gathered not far from Vorex. “Hello, all.”The group turned as one, facing him. Pirok was the first to speak. “What happened?”“I didn’t kill him, if that’s what you’re asking. I couldn’t – there’s that whole thing with the hosts, remember? I think I might’ve done a little permanent damage, though. But not too much.” Incommodo shrugged.Nikarra looked around the group. “Now, we need to get to Vorex.”“How close to you all need to be to him?”“I’m not sure.” Nikarra admitted. “The five of us will approach him together, get the key. I’m not sure what we do from there, but we don’t have any other plans.”The Ta-Matoran, Incommodo, Reichenbach, Nikarra and Strave walked slowly away from Pirok, Proditor and Arkrak, leaving them to wait and watch what happened next. For a moment, as Vorex looked down at them, there was silence. Then there was a bright flash of light, enough that they all covered their eyes, and when it cleared they could see a small, golden object, a cube, with strange patterns engraved in it. It was beautiful – it drew them to it, pulled them in. The closest was Reichenbach, and he didn’t waste any time in grabbing it. “It’s... magnificent.”“Hand it over.” Incommodo held out his hand – he didn’t trust Reichenbach with that Key.Reichenbach looked at the group, then to the Key, then back again, before holding out his hand – the empty hand. “Come with me, Incommodo. Think about what we could do. We could change destiny.”“If I follow you, then I fulfil mine. Reichenbach, hand over the Key. You don’t have to do this.”“Thing is, I do.” Reichenbach sighed. “I’m afraid I haven’t been entirely honest with you. You see, I’ve only been in this to get the Key. This thing in my hands? I can change all of time with this. I don’t have to ignore my destiny, I can change it.”“Reichenbach, you’re about to take away the only thing that can save the world.” Incommodo growled. “You really think this is the way to avoid become the apocalypse’s herald?”“I’m sorry, Incommodo. I really am.” There was a flash of bright light, and Reichenbach disappeared. A strange, repetitive, mechanical sound rang out, making all those who stood around feel unwell. It took a few moments for them to recognise it as laughter – Vorex’s laughter.“The Key is gone, now... I win, Time-Keepers... at long last, I can take revenge on you who threw me out when all I wanted to do was prevent myself from becoming a monster... you turned me into this... you created this... you killed the world.”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 1 month later...

Chapter 13 – Taking FlightAs the Rahkshi moved cautiously, it noticed the dust stirring around it, and that there was a strange beating sound. Looking up, it gave out a scream as massive jaws clamped shut around it.Vorex turned, looking in the direction of the scream, and the remaining five Time-Keepers took the chance to retreat, returning to Pirok and Arkrak.“So?” Pirok looked at the group. “Judging by the fact that he’s still standing, I’m guessing it didn’t work.”“We were betrayed.” Incommodo sighed. “Alright then, I guess this means we’re screwed. Let’s get out of New Atero and retire to a warm beach.”“Wait.” Nikarra took a moment to examine the two Toa. “Where’s the other guy?”Pirok looked at each person in the group in turn. “Proditor.”- - -Having taken Vorex’s distraction as an opportunity, Proditor was standing atop one of the few still-standing buildings, and preparing to jump off. As he did so, he used his power to send him flying towards Vorex – admittedly, he wasn’t entirely sure what he’d do when he got there, but it was a work in progress.However, his plan came to a quick end as one of Vorex’s arms whipped out and grabbed him, before bringing the Toa of Air right up to his face in order to examine him. “You... you think you’re smart, little Toa... heh... heheh...”There was a snapping sound, and the light in Proditor’s eyes faded. Vorex looked around, trying to find the Time-Keepers, only to see that they were missing. “Run, Time-Keepers, if you wish. It won’t help you. It won’t save you...”Pirok watched in shock as his friend was killed, almost attacking Vorex himself, but knowing that it would only get him killed, too. “That’s it. We’re taking him down.”“I don’t mean to interfere in what looks like it could turn out to be a wonderful piece of revenge and character development, but the plan just failed. Notice how I said ‘the plan’. Not ‘a plan’. Not ‘plan A’. The plan. We don’t have another plan.”“You once told me, Incommodo, that you never liked having a plan. You said having plans made people predictable.” Pirok growled.“And I would follow that code to this very day had you not proceeded to point out to me that it meant my enemies could predict that I wouldn’t have a plan.” Incommodo smirked. “That, and the fact that planning not to have a plan is a plan in itself.”“Incommodo, this is not a time to try and be clever.”“On the contrary, I think this is a perfect time to try and be clever.”“Then we’ll just have to disagree on that.”A sharp whistling sound blew through the air. Every Rahkshi’s head turned to look in its direction, and they all began moving back towards the gates. Vorex turned and began walking away, leading them.Incommodo tried to get a look at what they were walking towards, but all he was able to see was a flash of white in the distance. “So, time to think up a Plan B?”“I would say so.” Incommodo jumped as he heard the white Mystix speaking behind him. “We can offer some assistance.”The Toa of Magnetism turned around, slowly, to face Zarnarax. “What kind of assistance? And why offer it now?”“They took one of us. We’re here for revenge.” Zarnarax growled.Incommodo tilted his head slightly. “But how would you know that?”Zarnarax cleared his throat slightly. “We found Aru’s corpse. It was easy enough to put the pieces together.”“No, it wouldn’t have been.” Incommodo looked into Zarnarax’s eyes. “What aren’t you telling me?”“That doesn’t matter. What matters is that we’re here to help, Incommodo.”“I suppose so.” He turned, facing the group. “This, my friends, is Zarnarax, leader of the True Mystix.”“How do we know we can trust him?” Pirok asked. “Last time we put our trust in someone we’d only just met, he turned on us at the last minute.”“Well, we’ll just have to stab him in the back first, won’t we?” Incommodo smirked. It was difficult to tell whether or not he was serious, and Zarnarax seemed slightly uneasy.- - -I watched from where I hid as the Rahkshi left. I crawled out, seeing them all leaving. And there they were, the ones who had planned this. I stayed back, plans forming... Frustro was New Atero’s current leader, was he not?I would go to him. I would inform him of this. And the ones who had caused this damage would pay.- - -The Rahkshi stood, assembled, Vorex off to the side. A crudely-built stage stood before them, and a white figure could be seen ascending the steps. Two Toa stood on either side of the stage, and as the figure reached the top their eyes widened.The figure continued moving, and then finally came to a stop. They could only see the top of his head, but he slowly looked up, his green eyes burning brightly, the black tear-stains on his face coming into view. “Shadows... I live.”One of the Toa approached Nekron. “Why don’t you have a host?”“Because I no longer need one. I am evolved beyond a normal Shadow.” Nekron explained, his voice calm, yet somehow threatening.“What happens now, then?”“I’ll tell you what happens.” Nekron leapt off the stage, landing in front of the Rahkshi. He came to a stop before one of them, and placed his hand on its head. Slowly, the shades of yellow became paler, and black streaks appeared below its eyes. “Treat this Shadow as you would me. I name him Tarrhus, and he will answer any questions you may have.”“What is it?” The second Toa asked.“He is me. A new me, created by splitting my own essence – which I can now do, as an added bonus of ascending to a new level of existence. Now, I must take my leave, along with Vorex. There is one last piece in the plan to be set into motion. But... where is the third, Fear?”The first Toa looked down at his feet, a frown appearing on his Mask of Charisma. “We don’t know. We believe he was... infected.”“You all know your purpose. You cannot defy your own destiny.” Nekron snapped. “If Terror turned on you, you should have told me. I could have had him destroyed and replaced easily enough, you know my connections.”“This was not in the job description.” Dread muttered.The Shadow turned, and walked towards Dread. “Did you touch him?”“Terror?”“The glitch. Did you touch him?” Nekron growled.“Not that I’m aware of. Is there a problem?” Dread glared into Nekron’s eyes.“None at all.” The Shadow made a sound which almost sounded like a sigh of relief. “But remember, Dread, that I could easily have you replaced, too. Our friend the Great Being has a lot of you locked away in his little house of horrors.”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 14 – The GlitchThe Great Being turned away from the blood-red window, and paced slowly around the room. The bricks that made it up were black, and red and green wires stretched along the floor and walls, leading to the room’s only source of light other than the window, a wall lined with row upon row of screens, each showing a different area on Spherus Magna. A desk stood in front of the screens, and Xylak reached underneath it, pressing a button. The top of the desk opened, revealing a keyboard, and all of the screens went black, a single, white vertical line in the top left hand corner. He laid his fingers on the keyboard, and they moved fluidly across it, almost like it had become a part of him, text appearing on the screen letter by letter:MARENDAR.2Just as it was finished, another hole in the desk opened, and a small red button appeared. Xylak’s hand hovered over it, but he was startled as he heard a voice in his mind.You know it’s not the time yet. The Great Being turned around, slowly, to look directly at the white, Matoran-like being who stood before him. Even now, he found its appearance slightly disturbing, the way its eyes seemed empty, how those little black trails ran along its Pakari. He knew that he was at least a little to blame for its ‘death’. We need to wait for him.“And where is he? Why isn’t he here yet?” The Matoran simply shrugged in response. “I understand that he is the price that I must pay, but I don’t see why I can’t destroy him now.Because it isn’t yet time. The Matoran’s Pakari twisted into an expression of anger. Your price was paid to me, and I still have something to gain from it.“How do you gain anything from him, or it, or whatever I should call it?” Xylak asked. “All it has done is cause damage.”I’m personally invested in his life, Xylak, the Matoran glared, What I gain from his existence is knowledge I plan to keep to myself.“How do we even know that your plan will work? You may think that you are moving all the pieces, but he is a variable. He’s too dangerous.”That’s part of the reason that I’m here. Terror was infected. We need a replacement.“Why must there always by three?”When I draw him away, it will take at least three to surround him. Then he will be brought here. Then he will face his destiny.“How do you plan to draw him away?”I have plans. I know how this will go, Xylak. When they attack Vorex, he will be separated. Then my pawn will be able to make his move.“You have a pawn?” Xylak raised an eyebrow.A Matoran. He goes by the name of Elax. I broke him free of Fear’s power, and soon he will contact Frustro. There will be no returning to New Atero. The Glitch will be lost in the wild, and he will be mine. It smirked, slightly.“Frustro?” It was a name Xylak hadn’t heard in a long, long time. “What does he have to do with any of this, now?”Thanks to the plan I passed along to you, which you in turn passed to Reichenbach, he is now in charge of New Atero. As we both know, he is biased enough for this to work.“I’ll send through a replacement as soon as possible.” Xylak hissed. “Until then, I don’t expect any more contact.”And I don’t expect any more defiance. The Matoran shimmered slightly, and then was gone. Xylak was alone once again.- - -Incommodo glared at Zarnarax. “Your Mystix can take on the majority of the Shadows. We’ll take on Vorex personally.”“Do you have a plan?” Zarnarax asked.“Um… no.” Incommodo admitted.“I think I might.” Nikarra smiled, slightly. It was an unusual sight. “Incommodo, you wear a Kualsi, don’t you?”“Yes…” Incommodo looked curiously at Nikarra, wondering where she was going with this.“Vorex’s current body is made of mechanical parts, isn’t it? Well, since he isn’t technically alive, and the Kualsi can teleport objects…”“Are you suggesting that I teleport Vorex?” Incommodo looked like he was about to burst out grinning, but then he frowned. “But, where would I send him? Wherever I took him, it would just be moving the problem to somewhere else.”“Not if you took him off Spherus Magna…”“Oh.” Incommodo grinned. “Nope, still not getting it.”“I’m telling you to teleport him into space.”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Chapter 15 – The WildA chill breeze blew through the desert, pulling dust up out of the sand and spinning it lazily before moving on. The sun had begun rising, and everything was bathed in a strange, pink light.As the Rahkshi stood, gathered together, they raised their heads, looking up at the sky. Suddenly, the light was obscured. A few look around confusedly. Others prepared themselves to attack. Tarrhus hid beneath the stage, a malevolent glint in his eyes.Slowly, Aclaraung came into view, a blast of fire searing the Rahkshi who had run ahead to attack him. Mystix burst from the ground, surrounding the creatures on all sides.The bat-like creatures moved forwards, slowly, grouping the Rahkshi together, but stopped as a wave of power burst out, seemingly from the stage, rippling the sand and the air itself. The Mystix felt something like a blast of warm air, and noticed a change in the Rahkshi, dark energy beginning to swirl around them.Zarnarax watched from a distance, sneering at the sight.“Why are you doing this?” His prisoner asked, glaring at him. “You know what I told you.”“Exactly. They will be slaughtered, and those of us who are left can feast, assuming you didn’t lie to me.”“I didn’t lie to you because I thought I could trust you to do what was right.” The Toa spat. “Instead, you are sending your own people to their deaths. Is there not some law in your culture against feasting on your own kind?”“The only law like that,” Zarnarax hissed, “Is that we may not kill our own kind in order to feast upon them. They will die at the hands of these Shadows, simultaneously decreasing the amount of mouths to feed and leaving more with which to feed them.”“And what of Incommodo? Don’t you want to prevent the storm?” The Toa struggled to be free of the ropes that were tied around him, gasping in pain as the sharp spikes they were covered in dug into him.“The storm does not matter to me, Toa. I am not among those who were created for the robot, so the Mystix will not be wiped out like them. Next time you want to save the world, check up on your history.”“I am not a Toa, Zarnarax. I am a Shade.”“So you say. You also told me that your name was ‘Terror’.” Zarnarax chuckled. “I find it difficult to believe. You look like a Toa, and I don’t know of any Toa with such a name.”Terror sighed, giving up on his attempts. “Why should I try to reason with a monster?”“You shouldn’t,” the Mystix grinned; “That’s why you made a mistake in telling everything you knew to me. But, in a way, I am making the right decision for my species – those that are sacrificed won’t feel pain as they die. Everything inside them will simply stop. Then, those of us who remain can eat without fear of disease. You have no idea how many years we have gone with nothing but the occasional Zesk to feed our hunger. At last, I have been given the chance to save my species, and I’m not giving it up.”- - -The group watched Vorex as he walked through the desert. “He’s on his own,” Incommodo whispered. “This could be our chance.”“He’ll see you. We need to get somewhere where we can ambush him.” Nikarra replied.“How do you know we’ll get that chance?”“Better to wait and see than to run out and get yourself killed,” she hissed in response.“I’ll distract him.” Pirok said, interrupting the two.Nikarra tried to object. “You can’t, we’ve lost enough–”“I have nothing left to live for. Proditor’s gone, and I have a chance at avenging him and saving this world. I have to take it.” It was clear that Pirok had been thinking this over.“You do have things to live for.”“Like what?” There was no response. “Incommodo, get ready to teleport to him and grab him as soon as he gets me.”“This is what you meant, isn’t it?” Nikarra asked. “Dying a hero?”Pirok winked at her, and then began running towards Vorex. “Oi! You! Down here!”Vorex’s metallic head turned slowly, his eyes focusing in on Pirok. “Toa... did you not see what happened to your brother when he attempted that which you do now? Turn back, and I may let you live.”“Never.” Flames appeared in Pirok’s hands, and he threw a fireball at Vorex, scorching the giant’s armour.“Now you’ve done it...” Vorex hissed, his eyes burning with a green flame. “Die, Toa.”One of his arms lashed out, grabbing Pirok. Vorex held Pirok up to his face, and the Toa of Fire spat at him. Angered, Vorex’s grip tightened, and a snapping sound was heard, Pirok’s eyes fading to black.As Vorex had grabbed Pirok, Incommodo had teleported over to the giant, and grabbed his armour. “And here... we... go!”He looked up at the sky, the stars only just still in sight. Suddenly, he was surrounded by blackness, the air in his lungs suddenly gone. He felt pressure against his chest, and turned around in a blind panic, trying to catch sight of Spherus Magna again. He triggered his Kualsi, and the last thing he saw was white sand stretching out in all directions...- - -The Rahkshi advanced towards the Mystix, who had been pushed back slightly by the wave of energy. The front line was wiped out almost immediately by a massive blast of shadow, and they fell to their knees, dead. The Mystix further back were able to react, attacking with their own elemental powers. Some Rahkshi were frozen, others were eaten up by the ground, but they all seemed to break free almost immediately. They had become unstoppable.A yellow Mystix, the same one who had knocked Incommodo unconscious earlier, sent a blast of fire out at a Rahkshi directly facing him, enough to incinerate any being. He smirked as it went up in smoke, but began to frown as the grey gas faded, revealing the reptilian creature, its armour without so much as a scratch. He opened his mouth to scream as the Rahkshi pressed its hand against his face, shadows consuming him and turning him to dust.Zarnarax was shocked by the power of the Shadows. “You never said that they were capable of this.”“They weren’t. Something has changed.” Terror seemed to be just as scared as Zarnarax was.“Aclaraung should be here by now...” Zarnarax muttered, pacing back and forth. “Oh well. I suppose it’s time for a hasty retreat.”He turned to a black Mystix beside him, who quickly opened up a tunnel in the earth. Zarnarax jumped in, followed by the Mystix, leaving Terror behind. The Shade struggled to reach the opening, but he was forced to watch as it sealed over. He looked down at the ground in despair, what looked like a tear appearing in his eye, visible through his broken sunglasses, forced to recognise his own death.He should never have had to die, and even if he did, he shouldn’t have felt any emotion as his end approached. Yet, here he was, feeling genuine fear. The Shade was unable to cope with the emotion.Sparks began to ignite inside him, and those Mystix that still lived turned around just in time to see a fire begin to burn, high above them, as Terror destroyed himself.- - -Elsewhere, Nekron observed Nikarra, Arkrak and the others watching the ground, worriedly, waiting for Incommodo’s return. Fear and Dread were behind him, along with another black Toa, this one wearing a Komau and the same sunglasses as worn by Fear, Dread and, once, Terror. He was named Horror, and he was the latest addition to the League of Shades.Xylak had had some difficulty getting him through, but he managed to make a rip large enough that Horror could go through and that Incommodo could be brought back to face his destiny.Incommodo himself was lost, in an unknown location in the desert. Nikarra returned to New Atero with Arkrak, but the rest of the Time-Keepers went their separate ways.Although they did not yet know it, things were about to become very complicated.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 5 weeks later...

Chapter 16 – The Calm Before the StormArkrak and Nikarra arrived in New Atero just in time to witness a chaotic scene.“We’ve had enough, Frustro!” A Glatorian shouted angrily. “All you and your people have done is cause damage! Well, you can keep the bloody city – I’m leaving, and anyone who wants to can follow me.”With that, he turned and pushed past Nikarra and Arkrak, storming out of New Atero. Other Glatorian and Agori followed him, first one by one, then in groups, until the only beings still standing in the clearing were Frustro, Nikarra, Arkrak, some Toa who seemed to be involved with the police and a few Matoran bystanders.Frustro sighed, and then looked at Nikarra and Arkrak. “Exactly the two Toa I was looking for.”“Why were you looking for us?” Nikarra asked, genuinely surprised. Frustro produced a piece of paper, which Nikarra read over, frowning.“What is it?” Arkrak asked.“It,” Frustro began, taking the sheet of Nikarra, “Is a warrant for your arrest, and Incommodo’s, for your part in a plot which caused massive damage to New Atero.”“You have no evidence against us.” Nikarra hissed.“On the contrary, not only did you have knowledge of the attack ahead of time, your friend Incommodo threatened to kill me, and I have a witness who claims that the three of you were all involved in this.”“You have a what?”“A witness.” Frustro smirked. “Also, don’t try to escape – I have a few friends here who don’t care whether or not you live to see a sentence.”Fear, Dread, and Horror stepped out, glaring a warning at Nikarra and Arkrak. Nikarra held out her hands, and then nodded at Arkrak, who did the same. Handcuffs were locked into place around each of their wrists, and Frustro led them to the headquarters of the police, which had gotten through the disaster without too much damage. “I’m considering naming us the New Guard, now, what with the natives leaving.”“So that’s what was going on there.” Nikarra nodded, the pieces clicking into place in her mind. “Taking inspiration from the Guard on Mata Nui, I assume?”“You’re smarter than you look.” Frustro noted.“Are you saying that I’m not smart?” Nikarra pouted. “I’m offended.”“Hey, how come you’re flirting with him and you slapped me?” Arkrak frowned.“You never had me in handcuffs.”“That’s enough talk for now.” Frustro growled. He led them through the building, to the lower floor, and opened up the only undamaged cell before forcing them both into it, without taking of the handcuffs. “Have fun.”He closed the door and locked it, chuckling, before stopping and turning around slowly. “Wait... where’s Incommodo? Did he go and die again?”“We honestly don’t know.” Arkrak shrugged.“Well then, I know exactly the right people to look for him...” Frustro smirked, the three Shades appearing behind him.- - -Incommodo looked around. He was surrounded by white.“Hello!” He turned, to see a perfect copy of himself.“Um... hi?” He tilted his head slightly, and then walked around Other Incommodo, examining him from all angles. “Are you... me?”“Yes.” He grinned.“You’re me?”“I’m you!” He kept grinning.“You’re me.”“I’M YOU!” Other Incommodo screamed, hugging Incommodo.“Why am I talking to myself?” Incommodo asked.“Well, I would assume that I’m a figment of your imagination, created as a one-time plot device so that you could be realistically convinced of what you already know.”“Which is?”“That you can’t go back to New Atero.” Other Incommodo shrugged. “Because if you do, you will somehow fulfil your destiny and end the world.”“You have a point.” Incommodo admitted. “So, how do I get out of this?”“Um... I don’t actually know.” Other Incommodo frowned. “You could try waking up.”“Good idea.” Incommodo grinned.- - -Incommodo sat up, to find himself in the middle of the desert. Sand stretched out in all directions, dotted with a few rocks here and there. “I’m going to find a cave, and live as a hermit!”He grinned stupidly for a few seconds, and then frowned. “Wait...”The events of the last few hours suddenly caught up with him. “Wait... Pirok and Proditor are dead. Reichenbach has the Key of Time. I’m destined to end the universe. And I have absolutely no idea what to do.” He paused, thoughtfully. “Huh. Not knowing what to do feels different from usual.”- - -Nikarra sat inside the cell, staring at her handcuffs.“What are you doing?” Arkrak asked, looking curiously at the Toa of Lightning.“Arkrak, try to use your elemental power.” Nothing happened. “Thought as much. Could you test your mask power?”“Why can’t you test yours?”“Because I always know what you’re thinking when you’re around me anyway.” Nikarra sighed.“I’m not using my mask.” Arkrak said, rather defensively.“Whatever.” Nikarra shook her head. “We need to get out.”“Really?”Nikarra looked at Arkrak, trying to figure out whether or not he was actually being serious. Eventually she gave up and shrugged, trying to figure out if there was a guard outside the cell, from whom she could steal a key. Unfortunately, there didn’t seem to be a guard or a key.“Arkrak, underneath the armour on my right thigh there’s a knife. I need you to reach in and get it. And don’t linger.” Arkrak stood still, unsure of what to say. “Hurry up and do it, would you?”- - -Frustro strolled through the corridors inside the police (now New Guard) building, whistling happily. He stopped in his tracks as he saw the lights at the end of the hallway going out. One by one, each of the lightstones illuminating the hall turned dark, steadily approaching Frustro, and eventually leaving him in complete darkness. Not a sound was made. After a few seconds, the process reversed, the lights behind Frustro returning first as though the darkness was moving away from him.The first thing that hit him was the smell. It was strange, metallic, something that he recognised but couldn’t quite place. As he walked cautiously down the hall, the stench became stronger, reaching a peak right outside of his office.He reached for his weapon, and slowly turned the handle, the door creaking open. There was an eerie silence, but as Frustro entered the office, as a small gasp broke it.Nailed to the wall by its hands and feet was the body of a Matoran, its black and grey armour smeared with crimson blood, the Pakari it wore forever stretched in a grotesque expression of fear and pain. It was Elax.There was a gaping hole in the Matoran’s chest, and there was writing on the wall above him. The writing glistened red, and it wasn’t too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that it was Elax’s own blood.Let the Toa go, or we’ll see just how heartless you really are.- - -As Frustro approached the cells, his hands shaking, he was able to hear some of an argument between Nikarra and Arkrak.“No, not there. There’s a little button, you just have to push it. It’s right there, in the armour.”“Look, you’re not making this easy, I’m trying to find it.”“Could you ‘try to find it’ with your eyes rather than your hand?”“Am I interrupting something?” Frustro asked, feeling that he’d walked in at a bad time.Nikarra quickly shoved Arkrak away from her. “What are you doing back here?”“I’ve changed my mind.” Frustro lied, unlocking the cell and then removing the two Toa’s handcuffs. “You can leave now.”“Why are you doing this?” Nikarra asked, raising an eyebrow.“That’s not something you need to know.” Frustro growled. “Now get out, before I have another change of mind.”- - -Tarrhus led the three Shades through the desert, constantly looking around for signs of Incommodo.“We’re not going to find him today,” Horror warned. “It would be foolish to keep looking.”Tarrhus spun around, facing Horror. I may not be Nekron, but that doesn’t mean you can tell me how to do my job.Horror raised an eyebrow, surprised at Tarrhus’ apparent ability to speak through thoughts.All the same, Horror is right, Tarrhus sighed, looking at the other Shades. We aren’t going to find him today. We should set up camp, now. Who knows, he might find us.Fear glared at Tarrhus and Horror, unhappy with his leadership being taken from him, but sat down on the sand anyway. “No camp. None of us is going to be affected by the cold or sand. No sleep, either – we wait, and we watch. The Glitch could appear at any time.”- - -“Nikarra?”“Yes?”“How long does the desert go on for?” The two had been walking for the past few hours, and Arkrak was growing tired.Nikarra looked up at the sky, trying to figure out where the sun was. “We should probably turn back, now. We can keep searching tomorrow.”“So, basically, we’re just going to spend everyday walking through the same stretch of desert?”“No. We’re meeting at dawn tomorrow, and we’re bringing things along to set up camp. We won’t leave until we’ve found Incommodo.”- - -Nekron stood before the Shadows. “New Atero is defenceless, its greatest protectors gone. It is ours to take. You have no leader, and no purpose. I can give you a purpose – we will take New Atero, and make it ours. They cannot defeat us, because we are nonexistent. They cannot kill us, because we are not alive. They cannot stand in our way, because we shall slip through them and make them crush themselves into the dust.“By this time tomorrow, New Atero shall be a city of the dead.”

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 2 months later...

Chapter 17 – Diversion

The wind whistled through Nikarra’s room, stirring her from her sleep. She was a light sleeper – any change in sound or temperature was usually enough to wake her.

She looked around the room, trying to figure out the source of the draught. After a short while, she noticed that the door was open.

Nikarra didn’t leave the door to her room open. Ever. It wasn’t like heating was something you could get easily, and the days had been getting quite a bit colder recently. Every door and window had to be kept closed in order to save heat.

She shook her head, getting up. She probably just hadn’t closed it properly the night before. As it clicked shut, she turned back, only to find her way blocked.

“Going somewhere?” The being standing before Nikarra was like nothing she’d seen before; tall, white, with bright green eyes and tear-like black stains down its face. It glowed with a light that, rather than illuminating the surroundings, seemed to make what was around it darker by comparison. It was neither organic nor mechanical, almost like some kind of liquid or gas, but not quite. The only things like it that Nikarra could recall were the Shadows... and the only Shadow who looked anything like that was Nekron. “Don’t you recognise me? I’m hurt.”

“I’m sorry I’ve offended you,” the Toa of Lightning spat.

“No, I don’t mean your lack of recognition hurt me. Honestly, I couldn’t care less.” Nekron chuckled. “I mean that I’m physically hurt, thanks to your friend Incommodo. He has both reduced me to nothing and made me more than I ever was before.”

“That’s very interesting, now go tell someone who cares.”

“Huh. I would have expected you to be in a better mood, given your recent victory. Congratulations on that, by the way.” Nekron said, clapping sarcastically.

Nikarra was silent for a few moments, glaring at Nekron. “What are you up to?”

“Me? Up to something?” the Shadow gasped, eyes widening with mock innocence. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You’re a terrible liar.”

“Only when I want to be.” If Nekron had access to a mouth at that moment, he likely would have smirked. "Alright, I'm not the type to hide behind false idiocy; I'm planning a diversion attack on New Atero so that I can utterly destroy you while you’re celebrating your second victory in recent days.”

A long pause. “You can’t be serious.”

“Maybe. Maybe not. Due to how quickly and casually I handed the information over, maybe I’m lying. Alternatively, maybe it’s a trick, and I am actually telling you the truth, but I expect you to think that I wouldn’t give you the truth so easily, and so on until you collapse on the ground with the world’s worst headache.”

“The fact that you just gave that description proves that it probably is your plan though.” Nikarra pointed out, earning a chuckle from Nekron.

“What a wonderful observation. Now, if you don’t mind, I think I’ll get to why I actually came here.” Nekron’s expression and tone became darker as he went into the second sentence, and his presence became somewhat more threatening, the room growing colder.

“And why’s that?” Nikarra asked, trying to stop herself from shivering.

“To extend an offer to you,” Nekron explained, calmly. “I’m giving you the once-in-a-lifetime chance to join the winning side. I’m giving you the chance to become a Shadow.”

“No.”

“What?” Nekron’s calm exterior dropped, as something like either anger or confusion appeared in his eyes, but it returned almost immediately.

“No. You want to know why? I knew someone, once. A good person. One of the best I’ve ever known. I used to be an opportunist, joining whatever side looked most likely to win. I described my viewpoint to him, and he pushed it aside. I saw it as idiocy. But it was heroism. He was sticking with what was right, whether it led to victory or not. He didn’t care. He didn’t fight for glory. He didn’t fight to win. He fought for what was right. That’s what heroes are. And I’m tired of being a villain.”

“What happened to him, then?”

“He died.”

Nekron laughed. “Don’t you see that that’s the only way things will end if you follow that path?”

“Yes, I do. But I’ll die either way. The difference is dying a hero or a coward.” Nikarra growled. “So, no, I won’t join your ‘winning side.’ I would rather die.”

Nekron’s expression grew darker yet, and he glowed slightly brighter as the room too became darker, as though he was sucking in what little light existed in his surroundings. “That can be arranged.”

- - -

Incommodo stared out at the sand. The sun shone brightly in the sky, making the vast, white desert nearly blinding. The only change in the scenery was a black blur in the distance.

Incommodo squinted his eyes, trying to make out what it was. It wasn’t a rock, he’d have noticed it before. As it came closer, he could make out several shapes within it. There were three dark-armoured Toa, and a white creature of some kind. The white thing seemed to be in front.

Slowly, he came to the realisation that they were looking for him. He looked around desperately for an escape, but he was inside a cave in the middle of a featureless desert. There was nowhere to run. Defeated, he simply sat in the shade, waiting for the beings to reach him.

Eventually, Tarrhus and the Shades reached their destination, to find Incommodo sitting cross-legged on the ground with his head down. “Hello, boys.”

“You’re going to have to come with us,” Fear growled, taking a step forward, only to find himself thrown backwards.

“No, I don’t think I am.” Incommodo pushed up off the ground, hovering in midair, before putting his legs on the ground in order to stand up.

You don’t have any choice here, a voice in Incommodo’s head warned. It would be best to just go with them.

No, thanks. Even as Incommodo finished thinking his reply, the white creature – which was similar in appearance to some kind of Rahkshi – launched itself at him, only to be stopped by the same magnetic field that had prevented Fear’s approach. “You know what I can’t help but wonder? You guys have all these mental masks. I mean, you’ve got Charisma, you’ve got Telepathy, and you’ve got Mind Control. Why aren’t you using them?”

The three Shades were silent, until Horror finally spoke. “How we use our Kanohi is none of your business.”

“Actually, I think it is,” Incommodo smirked. “I think that you’re scared. What happened to your friend with the Volitak? The one you sent after me?”

“He... malfunctioned.”

“What a coincidence. He touched me and broke down, and you won’t even use your mask powers on me.” Incommodo smirked, advancing slightly, but still staying inside the magnetic field he’d set up. “What are you hiding?”

“Come with us and we’ll tell you.” Fear growled.

“Nah, I don’t think I will. Thanks for the offer, though.” Suddenly, Incommodo disappeared. The Shades looked around for a few moments, trying to figure out what had happened, until Tarrhus hissed angrily.

The fool used his mask, the creature projected into the minds of the Shades. He could be anywhere by now with this desert as flat as it is.

“Is it over, then?” Horror asked, looking into the distance.

Not yet.

- - -

When Nikarra had failed to show up at New Atero’s gates (or what little remained of them) at dawn, Arkrak had waited another hour, before setting off into the desert himself. He was beginning to grow tired when he spotted a dark blue shape in the distance, moving closer. He squinted his eyes, trying to get a better look at it, only to find it standing right in front of him.

“You’re not a hallucination, right?” Incommodo asked, tilting his head slightly.

“Not that I’m aware,” Arkrak replied.

“Okay. Just thought it’d be best to check, I drank some juice out of a dodgy-looking cactus back there.”

“You don’t have a digestive system.”

“Oh. Right.” Incommodo was silent for a few seconds. “Anyway, now you’re going to leave, and let me continue to live in the desert and avoid my destiny. Good Arkrak.”

“No.”

Incommodo, who had already begun walking away, turned to face Arkrak. “What?”

“No.” Arkrak glared at Incommodo as he spoke, some anger creeping into his voice. “You’re not just going to leave. You want to avoid your destiny? Do it from New Atero. It’s your destiny, Incommodo. You can’t escape it. Your reasoning is pointless and you’ve left me on my own enough times recently. So no, I won’t leave. Not unless you come with me.”

“When did everyone get so stubborn...” Incommodo muttered. “Alright. I’ll go back to New Atero. But only because you asked nicely.”

- - -

“This place is a wreck.” Incommodo observed as he and Arkrak walked into New Atero.

“Thank you for stating the blindingly obvious yet again, Incommodo.” Arkrak sighed.

“I’m getting the feeling that you’re not in a terribly good mood.”

“I wonder if it might have to do with the fact that every comment you’ve made since I convinced you to come back was completely unnecessary.”

The two Toa barely had time to register what was happening as part of a nearby wall collapsed, very nearly crushing them.

“This place is in even worse a stae than I thought,” Incommodo commented. “Walls falling down on their own like that.”

“Incommodo?”

“Yes?”

“I don’t think that wall fell down on in its own.” Slowly, Incommodo followed Arkrak’s gaze to the broken wall, and past it, to the approaching mass of Shadow-possessed Rahkshi.

“Oh dear.”

Review Topic

Edited by Simply Vorex

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 1 month later...

Chapter 18 – The Battle

“On the bright side of things, they’re all really tiny.” Incommodo pointed out in what seemed to be an attempt at optimism.

“Incommodo, I think they’re just far away.” Arkrak sighed.

“Oh. Right. That does make sense, yeah.” The Toa of Magnetism nodded.

“So, what do we do?”

“Well, our usual reaction to a situation like this would be to fight them. But we’ve done a lot of fighting recently and I’m pretty sure that at least one person on our side has died every time, meaning that if we fight again you’re going to die,” Incommodo explained, surprisingly calmly.

“Couldn’t you die too?”

“Unless I manage to destroy the universe in the process, no. So basically, if we die, you’re screwed.”

“What about Nikarra? She’s still alive, so she could die, too.”

“Wrong.” The two Toa turned around to face the being who had spoken, who sat on the remains of a wall, observing them with his catlike green eyes. As he stood up and approached them, the temperature dropped, and the light as usual was sucked into the white substance that the Shadow was made up of. “I’m afraid that Nikarra is... no longer with you.”

“What did you do to her?” Incommodo hissed, pulling out one of his blades, which made Nekron back away slightly, reducing his effects on their surroundings.

“We came to a compromise,” another voice replied, and it was one at the same time alien and familiar to Incommodo and Arkrak. Nikarra’s voice was colder than ever, and her speech was slightly deeper in pitch, yet still recognisable. When she walked out from behind the very same wall Nekron had been sitting on, her appearance had met a similar fate; her eyes shone crimson rather than green, and her armour was darker, with more black than before. It hadn’t just changed in colour, though – lighter and sleeker, there was noticeably less of it than before, and tendrils of shadow curled around it like thin, black snakes.

“You’re one of them.” Arkrak whispered, his voice failing him.

Nekron waved at Arkrak. “I’m still here, you know.”

“Arkrak, go take care of those Rahkshi,” Incommodo ordered, not turning to face his friend, instead looking directly at Nekron. “I’ll take care of Nekron and his new friend.”

“Are you sure?” Arkrak asked, looking from Incommodo to the two Shadows.

“I’ll be fine, Arkrak. Just go.” He hissed, still not looking at him. He continued to watch Nekron as he heard his friend beginning to run away. He began to walk towards him, slowly, blade in hand. “What’s wrong, Nekron? You’re looking a little pale.”

“You try being stabbed; we’ll see how it works out.” Nekron spat.

“Ooh, have I hit a nerve?” Incommodo spun the blade in his hand as he advanced further. “I thought you were the ‘most powerful Shadow in existence’.”

“I was. But now... I’m much, much more. And you’ve made one big mistake, Incommodo.”

“What might that be?”

“You aren’t watching your left.”

Incommodo span around to slash at Nikarra, but too late – her knife was embedded in his arm, already painful enough from being stabbed quite recently. He cried out, falling down on his knees as Nikarra let go of the knife, letting the Toa of Magnetism try to grab it and pull it out. She crouched down, taking hold of the knife once again, and began twisting it slowly, earning louder cries from Incommodo. “Don’t worry, Inc. I’m not going to kill you. You’re much too important to die...”

“Screw you,” he hissed between gritted teeth. “Your... knife... is... metal...”

The knife, along with Nikarra, was sent flying backwards as Incommodo cried out yet again, the pain in his arm intensifying. He turned on Nekron, picking up the blade he’d dropped. “I’m going to slit your throat and see just how much whiter you can turn.”

“Ooh, have I hit a nerve?” Nekron mimicked, glaring at Incommodo. “You’ve lost this battle, Incommodo. You may as well go help your friend hold off that attack, I’d bet it’s not something beyond your power and expertise.”

“He can manage. You’re on your own, now. I can take you.” However, even as Incommodo finished, Nikarra was at Nekron’s side again, one hand on her hip, the other grasping her bloodied knife. “Now, Incommodo, you only have one choice: run.

“I’d rather die,” the Toa of Magnetism growled.

“No, Incommodo, you wouldn’t.” Nekron chuckled. “Now, do as I said: run, Incommodo. Run for your life.”

Incommodo spat on the ground, then turned and began walking away, beginning to increase his pace with every one of the shouts Nekron sent after him.

- - -

Arkrak stood before the oncoming army of Rahkshi, with absolutely no idea what to do.

“So, how goes defeating the Rahkshi?” Incommodo asked, having teleported over to Arkrak after he got tired of running.

“Not well,” Arkrak sighed, looking down. Then there was an almost audible click as he looked up again, to face Incommodo. “But I think I have a plan.”

- - -

“Arkrak, have I ever told you that you’re a genius?” Incommodo questioned, looking around at the mirrors placed just inside the gates.

“No, I don’t think so.”

“Good, because I don’t see how this plan is going to work.”

“I have a Ruru,” Arkrak explained. “All I have to do is stand here, activate my mask, and this whole place is going to light up bright enough to burn those Rahkshi to a crisp.”

“Arkrak, you’re a genius.” Incommodo grinned. “But, y’know, just in case it doesn’t work, I think I’m going to hide elsewhere in the city.”

With that, Incommodo turned around and disappeared. “What a great friend.”

Arkrak took a few steps back, watching the approach of the Rahkshi. Slowly, the Shadow-possessed shells began to fill the space, approaching Arkrak at a slow pace, almost as though they were taunting him – they didn’t need to move quickly, or even fight that well. It was one Toa against an army, and he didn’t have a chance of winning.

Or so they thought.

“Say ‘cheese,’” Arkrak muttered, closing his eyes and activating his mask. Suddenly, a bright flash filled the whole clearing, and the screams of the Rahkshi reminded Arkrak to create a field of silence around his ears. After a short while, he opened his eyes, letting his mask’s power fade. The Rahkshi lay crumpled on the ground, pools of sizzling, black, acidic liquid around their heads.

“Karz, yeah!” Incommodo cheered, now standing beside Arkrak.

“I don’t like this, Incommodo,” Arkrak muttered.

“Why? We just won! Look at us! We’re winners! Woo!”

“It was too easy, Incommodo.”

“Maybe they’re just weaker than us,” Incommodo shrugged. “Come on.”

- - -

“Is this everyone?” Arkrak asked, looking around.

“Yes, it is.” Incommodo replied solemnly. “Just us, Arkrak. Everyone else is gone. Everyone else is dead.”

The two Toa stood behind a stage which had been days in the making, for the ceremony which would mark the end of all their troubles. They were the only heroes left. In less than a week, Spherus Magna’s greatest Toa had been all but destroyed.

Cheers and clapping were the signal for the two Toa to ascend the steps, and when they reached the platform Incommodo took a moment to look across at Arkrak. The two Toa had gone through so much, lost so many friends and allies, and it looked like it was finally over, like every sacrifice had, in fact, been worth it. Frustro approached them, carrying medals and a distasteful expression. Incommodo couldn’t care less. He just wanted it all to be over.

He got his wish.

He barely got to recognise the medal placed around his neck as the bullet smashed through his mask and mind. An instant death.

But there was one thing he did get to recognise: dark storm clouds approached in the distance, like nothing he had ever seen before. And although Incommodo could not see them, beneath the storm clouds stood an army, and at its head Nekron. “Ladies, gentlemen, Shadows of all ages; as we speak, Death himself moves toward New Atero. And in the aftermath of his arrival, we shall step over the dust left in his wake and take the city without the tiniest amount of resistance, because our enemies will already be lying dead at our feet.”

Closer to New Atero, Reichenbach sat on his stone throne, watching the dark clouds in the distance, when he felt a numbness in his fingers, and looked down to see that they no longer existed. The Key of Time, which he had been holding only moments before, fell from his fingerless hands, and as he watched the hands began to turn to dust. With the stumps of his arms, he tried to push himself off the throne, only to fall on to the ground when he found that his feet, too, had crumbled to dust. He crawled and wriggled, turning himself on to his back and looking up at the ceiling. “We had a deal!”

“So we did,” a disembodied voice said in reply. “And I am keeping my side of it. You will die with the dignity you deserve, Reichenbach, which is very little. You turned on your own kind to fulfil your own selfish goals. I may not be the most moral of beings, Toa, but even I have some standards.”

Reichenbach’s eyes widened as he saw the ceiling of the tower he sat in begin to crack, crashing in around him, as his body continued to fall apart, until a cry of pain and despair just managed to escape his lips as finally his mask alone was left, and the building fell with its one resident.

Back at the stage, everyone was panicking. Incommodo’s body lay on the stage, a pool of blood now around his head, as the storm clouds came closer and they saw that they were tumbling across land, not sky. The thick, black cloud soon covered all of New Atero, and when it was gone the city was all but empty, apart from the lone body of Incommodo, still lying on the stage. A hand, grey and red, picked up his wrist, examining it carefully. The being it belonged to looked down on Incommodo’s corpse with his bright green eyes, full of sorrow and somehow older than the face that they were set in. “No pulse.”

“Well, I guess we’re too late,” another being, black and green, replied, walking over to his ally. “So, Pirok, do you think we should get out of here before Nekron and his lackies storm the place?”

“Let’s, Proditor.” Pirok grinned, brushing some dust off himself as he stood up.

TO BE CONTINUED IN APRIL 2013

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

• 3 months later...

Well this mightn't be April, but June is a lovely month too. It's the month when this all started, I believe. Almost a year since I started this topic. Happy almost-anniversary!

But yeah. This has taken a while, so without any further waiting I present to you Chapter 19, effectively the prologue for this second part.

PART II: THE SURVIVORS

the_eleventh_hour_part_ii_by_the99thdoctor-d62r4y1.jpg

Our good friend Scratch made this, give him the credit.

Chapter 19 – Dystopia

Beneath the sickly violet sky, a creature scuttled from sight, removing itself from the path of a wagon rolling along the dead grey soil, pulled by two of Spherus Magna’s native animals, although the warped and twisted creatures resembled no pure species. The being at its front was a Bone Hunter, a slave trader, doubtless carrying Agori to be sold at one of the Glatorian villages near Necropolis. The closer one got to the City of the Dead, the looser their morals seemed to become. Of course, there were those of which this was not true – beings like the Bone Hunters, living life in shades of moral grey, and those such as the consistently heroic beings preparing an ambush on the wagon.

---The Glatorian hiding in the white grass at the roadside moved instantly, appearing as though from nowhere and cutting the bonds that attached the animals to the car, letting them run free. The Bone Hunter tried to join them in their escape, but a Glatorian clad in white with spiked armour and a wicked grin grabbed him from behind, taking his blade and slitting the slave trader’s throat in one swift movement.

---Another, his red and orange armour rippling like the flames it was forged in, unsheathed his sword and made to break the lock on the wagon with it. However, he was pushed aside by his companion, who removed a white axe from his back, its crystal blade breaking the lock cleanly in two as he swung the weapon down, and he and the Fire Glatorian moved as one to open the doors, before the latter entered it to unchain the Agori within. The sight he was met with instead was unexpected, to say the least.

His companion was keeping watch for other vehicles on the road, his back turned to the wagon, but he spun around as the other Glatorian cried out, seeing his friend thrown back as tendrils of shadow whipped out from the car. There was a sickening crack as he hit the ground, and the Ice Glatorian knew immediately that he was dead. A being, clad in black and green, descended from the car, looking down at the Fire Glatorian’s corpse without the vaguest hint of remorse. He was about the height of a Glatorian, and similar in appearance, but it was a broken reflection, more machine than man. The Ice Glatorian retreated into the grass before he was seen, spying on the new being who had emerged from the wagon. He had heard rumours and legends, speaking of the two machines with hearts of shadow and dreams of destruction, laying low in the past few years.

---Aerus had been among the select few distant enough when the Storm came to avoid its effects, a Glatorian trapped on Bota Magna at the time of the Shattering. Most of them were, the rebels. Rumour had it that when the Storm came the land died, and its morals with it. Approaching Necropolis this grew ever more clear, the minds of the people growing darker and more twisted in response to their proximity to the Place of Shadow.

The machines where thought to be Toa, beings that had come to the people of Bara Magna, bringing with them war and darkness. It was for them that the storm had come, wiping them out completely. But there were legends of survivors, and the being before him made him fear that they were true. He turned, and began his way away – he’d seen enough. Whatever that machine was, it had killed his friend, his ally. He wouldn’t let it get away with that. The machine would suffer justice, and it would suffer it from his hand.

The creature who had moved aside observed the events calmly, watching as a second being emerged from the wagon, this one dressed in red and gold.

---“You shouldn’t have done that, Proditor,” the being sighed, looking at his ally.

---“And why not? I like to think of it as having liberated him from the horrible life he would otherwise have led,” the being called Proditor smirked.

---“He could have been a helpful ally. We can’t be making enemies of everyone,” the other retorted. His name was Pirok, the creature knew, listening to the voice from the Cube. It had found the Cube a long time ago, searching through the wreckage of the tall tower after the Storm. It had been lying there under the rubble, along with a fanged mask, glowing softly. It had called to it. Krahl, it had said, You are very special. Pick me up, follow where I lead you, and you will have great reward. So Krahl did pick it up, and it had led it here. These two Toa were dangerous, it had told him. They wanted to take it away. That wasn’t nice of them. They weren’t nice Toa. They had just killed that red person, the Cube told it. Krahl wondered if it would be appropriate to wait and eat him, but the Cube disagreed. It thought it better to leave it, to follow the Toa, to see where they were going. Slit their throats in their sleep, it said, before they could steal it. Krahl liked that idea. He would stop the mean Toa before they could take away his Cube. Actually, the Cube thought, Krahl could help them. Krahl could make them trust it. It could lead them to the Place of Shadow, the Cube suggested, or to the meat-eaters. Anywhere. But they wouldn’t have the Cube, it warned, not at all. No, they couldn’t have it. They were bad people. They would do bad things with it. The Cube had to go home, to Necropolis, right at the very middle. That was where Krahl would take the Toa. Take them to their deaths.

---Krahl liked that idea. Krahl liked it a lot.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]