Lego To Develop An Mmog

With Lego Universe recently canceled, you wouldn't expected LEGO to create another multiplayer game. However, LEGO and Funcom recently announced an agreement to develop a new massively multiplayer online game based on the LEGO Minifigures line. The announcement hints at the possibility that it will be free, so be sure to check back soon.View the full article

Something in which I might be interested!!But, awkward, I didn't even know they canceled Lego Universe. :P How long did it last, anyway?

Edited by Nuparu1995

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Well this looks interesting. I wasn't expecting another Lego multiplayer online game to be made so soon after Lego Universe was canned. I might check it out when more information becomes available.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Looks interesting. It seems kind of strange that they are making this so soon after the cancellation of Lego universe, though.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Huh, this is odd-I sorta thought LEGO would stay away from the MMOG genre for a while while Universe's cancellation was still fresh on everyone's minds. I'll wait to see more details before I decide if this warrants my attention.

Edited by Temporphilic

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

I'm surprised they're making another MMOG after LU flopped. I guess they've learned from its mistakes and want to try again.I find it interesting that they chose to base it on the Minifigures line. That makes me think this will be more of a social game like Second Life than a MMORPG. I'd be down with that.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Free? You've got my attention.
And there's one thing they're doing right this time around.Remember how LU was popular in BETA, then when the membership prices were announced, everyone was disappointed? At that point making the game free-to-play was a futile attempt. LEGO is making a good choice to announce a free MMOG from the get-go, and if they stick to their word, they should retain an audience.Chances are they'll find some way to make revenue off the game though. Like selling in-game merchandise, which has recently become a much more popular method than full subscriptions.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

This is just weird. :blink: Personally, I think it sounds like it´s going to be rather small and F2P but there is no way to tell until more details surface. Strange how LEGO wants to make another MMO after just having cancelled LU. :wacko:-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

It doesn't sound as good as Lego Universe to me. I'd probably be more excited if they didn't just give up on LU after a few months because I feel like the same thing will just happen again.Also, this reminds me of how much I miss LU.:(

Edited by Senrab

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

Lego Minifigures MMOG?If I get to play as the Galaxy Patrol guy, I'm in. If it's free, I'm double in.Hopefully it'll be more successful than LU.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I don't know what to think about this. LEGO Universe was a calamitous failure. But I suppose if they use the lessons they learned from the failure of LU, they might have a chance with this.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'm very surprised that the LEGO Company decided so soon to attempt another MMORPG. If the game is free to play, I'll be interested, but the article only provides a very vague hint that it will be free -- and said hint could also be construed to mean the game will have a low membership price.

Edited by Legolover-361

Another LEGO MMO? Freaking Funcom? Well, there goes my hopes for some Dreamfall Chapters after Secret World. As for LEGO, it's just too early to do another MMO. You did a test run, and you failed. You just don't retry until it works.
Something to keep in mind... if TLG waited five years after the collapse of LEGO Universe to try their hand at another MMOG, then it's entirely possible that the lessons they learned from its failure might no longer be applicable. Why wait and risk that valuable experience going to waste? I hear a lot of people surprised that TLG is trying this again so soon, but I've heard no logical reasons why they should wait. Unless, of course, they decided that LEGO Universe's failure was no fault of their own and the time just wasn't right for a LEGO MMOG. Personally, I'm glad they're willing to take responsibility for its failure rather than settle for such a shallow excuse.It should also be considered that just because it's being announced now doesn't mean it will actually be happening anytime soon. LEGO announced their partnership with NetDevil to produce LEGO Universe in March 2007. At that time, the game didn't even have a name. The game was not released until October 2010. Even if TLG is announcing this now, by the time the game is actually released it may have been half a decade or longer since the collapse of LEGO Universe.I'm not much of a gamer, and while the concept of LEGO Universe was nice it wasn't the sort of thing I had the patience for. I doubt this will appeal to me very much either, but here's hoping it's still the same quality we come to expect of LEGO products!

I think I understand Funcom's and LEGO's line of thought with this MMO. When the article mentions that the market for child-friendly online games is "brimming with potential", what they actually mean is that there are plenty of kids who want to play a LEGO online game but not enough parents who are willing to pay for said game, as seen with Lego Universe. A lot of comments that I saw on the Lego Universe message boards were essentially "I like the game, its fun and I want more but I don't want to pay for it." Releasing a free-to-play MMO and then sustaining it with micro-transactions by having players pay for extra items, characters, etc.(because the companies have to make money on this somehow) could work.*I'll hold my opinion of this new game until I actually see. I enjoyed Lego Universe for a time, but the really slow release schedule of new content and the price I had to pay for said content didn't satisfy me in the long term. Maybe this new game will do better; I'm not sure.*Of course I'm just speculating. I could be totally, totally wrong.

Credits: Xanis

"Don't Panic."

You just don't retry until it works.
Wait.How would you know if it works if you don't try again?That's exactly what I assume they're doing: making a new MMO to fix the obvious faults of LU. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. We'll see.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

LU was a commercial failure, not a creative one IMO - from what I saw from the free-to-play. The creative idea was a good one, it's just that they had a bad business model for it. If they try a different business model, it might work better. LU didn't strike me as poor quality - it was just too expensive.

Another LEGO MMO? Freaking Funcom? Well, there goes my hopes for some Dreamfall Chapters after Secret World. As for LEGO, it's just too early to do another MMO. You did a test run, and you failed. You just don't retry until it works.
Something to keep in mind... if TLG waited five years after the collapse of LEGO Universe to try their hand at another MMOG, then it's entirely possible that the lessons they learned from its failure might no longer be applicable. Why wait and risk that valuable experience going to waste? I hear a lot of people surprised that TLG is trying this again so soon, but I've heard no logical reasons why they should wait. Unless, of course, they decided that LEGO Universe's failure was no fault of their own and the time just wasn't right for a LEGO MMOG. Personally, I'm glad they're willing to take responsibility for its failure rather than settle for such a shallow excuse.It should also be considered that just because it's being announced now doesn't mean it will actually be happening anytime soon. LEGO announced their partnership with NetDevil to produce LEGO Universe in March 2007. At that time, the game didn't even have a name. The game was not released until October 2010. Even if TLG is announcing this now, by the time the game is actually released it may have been half a decade or longer since the collapse of LEGO Universe.I'm not much of a gamer, and while the concept of LEGO Universe was nice it wasn't the sort of thing I had the patience for. I doubt this will appeal to me very much either, but here's hoping it's still the same quality we come to expect of LEGO products!
Personally, I don't believe LEGO really needs another MMO at this point. I'd be more interested in this project if LEGO retried this in the next decade, as graphical systems would have improved, and the possibility of a LEGO MMO would be more plausible.
Wait.How would you know if it works if you don't try again?That's exactly what I assume they're doing: making a new MMO to fix the obvious faults of LU. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. We'll see.
LEGO did a bold movement when they introduced LEGO Universe; it was their first attempt at an MMO. I played the Beta since day one, and I didn't really enjoyed it as much as I thought it would. Unless LEGO is willing to step back for a while and plan the new MMO, as they should have done with LU -- not that it wasn't planned, just that in the long-run, it didn't work out that well -- it's going to fail.Sure, trying to produce another MMO isn't all that much a bad idea, but to me, right now, it feels unnecessary. Does LEGO really need this? Or are they just gonna keep trying to push these projects through? I'll be interested if they approach this they way they should have, and more importantly, be cautious. What I meant by "you just don't try until it works", is that, well, what if never works? What if a LEGO MMO just doesn't belong anywhere?But, all things said and done, I can't judge something that was just introduced. We'll have to wait and see. Edited by Riglax

Personally, I don't believe LEGO really needs another MMO at this point. I'd be more interested in this project if LEGO retried this in the next decade, as graphical systems would have improved, and the possibility of a LEGO MMO would be more plausible.
LEGO did a bold movement when they introduced LEGO Universe; it was their first attempt at an MMO. I played the Beta since day one, and I didn't really enjoyed it as much as I thought it would. Unless LEGO is willing to step back for a while and plan the new MMO, as they should have done with LU -- not that it wasn't planned, just that in the long-run, it didn't work out that well -- it's going to fail.Sure, trying to produce another MMO isn't all that much a bad idea, but to me, right now, it feels unnecessary. Does LEGO really need this? Or are they just gonna keep trying to push these projects through? I'll be interested if they approach this they way they should have, and more importantly, be cautious. What I meant by "you just don't try until it works", is that, well, what if never works? What if a LEGO MMO just doesn't belong anywhere?But, all things said and done, I can't judge something that was just introduced. We'll have to wait and see.
If a LEGO MMO is doomed to never work, LEGO will eventually know, but there is no way of finding out without trying at least one more time, is there? But waiting a decade to try again is not a good idea. At the pace things are evolving regarding technology and Internet these days, there is no way of knowing how things will turn out and be like in ten years. Who knows if a LEGO MMO would work even less then than it could today? Who knows if there will even be MMOs at all?-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

LU was a commercial failure, not a creative one IMO - from what I saw from the free-to-play. The creative idea was a good one, it's just that they had a bad business model for it. If they try a different business model, it might work better.LU didn't strike me as poor quality - it was just too expensive.
Exactly right.Also, I don't get you guys saying this is surprising. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. (But in a different way lol. :P)Selfishly I soooooo hoped they would bring back LU but with a more successful financial model, advertising in better places, etc. but ah well. The biggest problem with LU was that it WAS worth the money, but you had to SPEND the money first to find that out. (As I did, 'cuz I was bored enough lol.) Of course you could kinda say the same about CD games back in the day like LEGO Island, but yeah.The biggest awesomeness about LU ironically was the innovative villainry concept (it could actually work without being multiplayer at all for the most part). I hope this will have something remotely comparable, not just a pure social game as that would be boring. Anyways, interesting. :) Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

LU was a commercial failure, not a creative one IMO - from what I saw from the free-to-play. The creative idea was a good one, it's just that they had a bad business model for it. If they try a different business model, it might work better.LU didn't strike me as poor quality - it was just too expensive.
Exactly right.Also, I don't get you guys saying this is surprising. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. (But in a different way lol. :P)Selfishly I soooooo hoped they would bring back LU but with a more successful financial model, advertising in better places, etc. but ah well. The biggest problem with LU was that it WAS worth the money, but you had to SPEND the money first to find that out. (As I did, 'cuz I was bored enough lol.) Of course you could kinda say the same about CD games back in the day like LEGO Island, but yeah.The biggest awesomeness about LU ironically was the innovative villainry concept (it could actually work without being multiplayer at all for the most part). I hope this will have something remotely comparable, not just a pure social game as that would be boring. Anyways, interesting. :)
I agree completely... Really the way I see it Lego Universe "failed" because of rate of update and because of the EXTREMELY limited Free to Play. IMO, if you were allowed to go to Nimbus Station and actually choose a faction, then more people would actually subscribe to go to the charming Pirate and awesome Ninja worlds, and eventually the Nexus Tower and Crux Prime.But anyway, back on topic, I really hope that this game has a similar formula of being family friendly but at the same time cool enough for 11-14-year-olds, and with LOADS of customization and building. If this is just "Go around, do boring things for points of some kind, collect minifig item sets with those points, observe second-rate pop culture references, hang out with "friends," struggle with limited chat, play ###### minigames, hang out some more, wish you had more money for some _____ to obtain access to _____ item/world/area/etc. that you need for _____ and so on..."
toatanusignature.png

If a LEGO MMO is doomed to never work, LEGO will eventually know, but there is no way of finding out without trying at least one more time, is there? But waiting a decade to try again is not a good idea. At the pace things are evolving regarding technology and Internet these days, there is no way of knowing how things will turn out and be like in ten years. Who knows if a LEGO MMO would work even less then than it could today? Who knows if there will even be MMOs at all?-Gata signoff.png
Perhaps it's better this way; perhaps it's not. I personally believe a LEGO MMO could work, but it needs a different formula than that of LU. I'll just leave it here -- I can't really doom the MMO yet just because of LU's failure to deliver.

If a LEGO MMO is doomed to never work, LEGO will eventually know, but there is no way of finding out without trying at least one more time, is there? But waiting a decade to try again is not a good idea. At the pace things are evolving regarding technology and Internet these days, there is no way of knowing how things will turn out and be like in ten years. Who knows if a LEGO MMO would work even less then than it could today? Who knows if there will even be MMOs at all?-Gata signoff.png
Perhaps it's better this way; perhaps it's not. I personally believe a LEGO MMO could work, but it needs a different formula than that of LU. I'll just leave it here -- I can't really doom the MMO yet just because of LU's failure to deliver.
I´m pretty sure this is going to be pretty distinct from LU, else there would be no point in trying again.-Gata signoff.png Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I´m pretty sure this is going to be pretty distinct from LU, else there would be no point in trying again.-Gata signoff.png
I agree. I hope this one has alot of the same movement and view mechanics, though.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3