:kaukau: Here's my review from the "Last Movie You're Seen" topic.
BRAVE: Watch this. Now.If you already have, watch it again. Now.You know that sensation when you go to the big screen and you’re simply blown away? It happened here. I am so glad I watched this on the big screen and I sincerely regret not seeing the midnight premier.First, this film isn’t what the advertisements give it credit for. Looking at the trailers, one would expect it to be a stereotypical story about a girl who defies feminine conventions, which is hardly an original or powerful note for Pixar to start its first female lead off on. This is not Brave. Brave’s story is so much more.Like the truest of Disney films, this is about family, and the writers have perfected their understanding of its dynamics. Not only did it find an engaging story, but also they made it a very worthwhile story by intertwining it with universal archetypes that speak to everyone. Because of this, Merida’s gender is hardly conspicuous, because her journey isn’t specific to female problems. This is a brilliant move on the part of Pixar. This is the heart of the film, and it’s what makes it as powerful as the tales of friendship and family in Toy Story and Finding Nemo. The comparison is worthy, for Brave may just well be one of Pixar’s best films. They really outdid themselves this time.Of the recent surge in female leads in action films, Merida stands out as the strongest representative and role model for the female half of the human race. Unlike Bella Swann, Kristin Stewart’s Snow White, Katniss Everdeen, and the girl with the dragon tattoo, she isn’t merely an action hero who goes all-out. Her tale isn’t about empowerment or kicking butt. Her story isn’t even that of not needing a man. It’s far more important. It’s about having the bravery to mend a family and risking personal desires for the people who matter, values that are important for both boys and girls to learn.
In short, it wa a really, truly awesome film, and it doesn't hapen often enough where something blows me away and gets my jaw to drop. You have to see this in theatres.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

What was most interesting was the disturbing implication regarding the wisps. Given that the old kingdom was referred to as "ancient" by the characters, that suggests that the bears can't die of, say, old age - so it's strongly implied that each and every one of those wisps is a person who got turned into a bear and then died painfully.And then got forced into doing advertising for some fumbling witch with a bear obsession. For eternity.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Huh. All the hype around here is interesting. I heard it was formulaic, unoriginal, and mediocre.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Huh. All the hype around here is interesting. I heard it was formulaic, unoriginal, and mediocre.
It is so, soo much more than that. In this instance I refuse to acknowledge what all the professionals are saying, because this is a very good film.-ibrow

that's the go-to hipster response for every movie that ever comes out that isn't French. just go see it yourself instead of listening to other morons.
This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

There was no evidence to suggest that people who hadn't been turned into bears became them, and considering their apparent association with the witch...

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

:kaukau: I think it's safe to say that Brave wasn't that kind of story. I've listened to the commentaries to all the other Pixar films and have an idea of the personalities of the powers that be. Also, I've seen advertisements and other behind the scenes media where Pixar has expressed their interpretation of the Will-o'-the-wisp. It didn't seem to be as mischievous as traditional superstition. My understanding of their interpretation is that they merely guide someone to their fate. In which case, Merida's was actually quite good.rose, I think you misread me. I said universal archetypes, but I didn't mean overused. There is no way on Earth I would compare it to Shrek. While there are some similarities with How to Train Your Dragon, I think that archetypal stories are the best stories there are, and the best archetypes are those that are universal and meaningful to everyone. In this case, the film finds its roots in family love, which is something that can't be overused no matter how many films it features in. I know this because I come from a divided family, and I'd really like to think that I live in a culture where other people don't have to suffer through what I have. It's not good enough that there should be one film about family and love per year. The archetype should be used regularly so as to hammer itself into the larger cultural mindset.As far as Brave being formulaic, fairytales are almost all formulaic by definition, especially when they land land far to the sunny side on the sliding scale of idealism vs cynicism. People have to accept that going in. Besides, I always thought that originality and unpredictibility were overrated. They're not inherently good things, and what's important is how the story is told. The Lion King is a prime example, because the plot is as old as time, but its execution was classic. Brave has the same good fortune to have such talented bards behind it.Yes, some of the patterns seem familiar, but their execution is very satisfying. I wasn't thinking about where I saw them in other films but instead focused on how they helped build up this film. The whole way through, Merida was a lovable character whose tail I really enjoyed following. Perhaps she's not the most unique or complicated characters in all of fiction, but for me she really came to life. I really, really liked her.And iBrow, never mind Zaz. He takes up that attitude towards literally everything.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

I saw it yesterday, and enjoyed it. It's hard for me to judge it against Pixar's other films, especially so soon after seeing it (maybe it'll be easier in retrospect). But compared to other fairytale movies, especially Disney's own, I felt Brave set a new standard.One thing my brother and I observed that sets Merida apart from other "Disney Princesses" is that she has genuine flaws, and the movie is about her (and her mother) overcoming those flaws. Disney's own classic fairytale movies generally fall too far into "virtue rewarded" territory by depicting a near-perfect girl born into some variety of hardship, who eventually achieve their dream (which is too often just "true love") by just continuing to be perfect in the face of adversity.Another thing I noted about this movie is how real it felt compared to other animated Pixar movies, even including others by Pixar. After watching it I realized that the film would not have suffered much if it had been in live-action. There was very little cartoon logic in play, making the animated medium feel more like an artistic choice than a necessity. Rather than being used primarily to depict the unreal, like the living toys in Toy Story or the talking fish in Finding Nemo, the animation in Brave was used more to add visual depth to the characters, in both their emotions and the way they presented themselves in general.And of course, I feel it surpassed the fairy tale movies of rival producers like Dreamworks. Don't get me wrong, I love movies like Shrek. But too often those movies get too bogged down in pop-culture references and visual gags. Brave certainly had it's fair share of jokes, but besides the witch's "answering machine," which was funny enough to avoid breaking willing suspension of disbelief, they all felt appropriate to the setting.So yeah, it's hard to judge the quality of this compared to Pixar's other fantastic offerings. But it's a great movie in its own right, and that's good enough for me.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

My overall opinion: I only watched it in the first place because it was the first movie in a drive in, and I wanted to see the second. The animation, IMO, was the best part. Aside from that, the plot was... Fairly decent. I could not stand the princess, though. Whiny teenager stereotypes drive me nuts. here were some themes I didn't like, that I won't go into for fear of causing debate.So yeah, okay to decent movie, but it didn't appeal to me much, and its not something I'm going to rewatch. Snow White and Huntsman made up for that night though. :P