S&T Contest #7: Memoirs of the Dead

Since you ask I might as well say that I'm still working on one entry but to be absolutely sure one detail is alright I'll have to re-read some of the books, and coming up I'll need to do that anyways for my history retelling, so I should get back to the contest soonish. :P

Also, have been making progress bit by bit on the EM Shards contest. Hopefully we can get polls for that going soon and then I'll focus on this one.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 1 month later...

As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:"Casualties" by toa jalokimI see problems with this entry.The corrections are mostly to fix minor grammatical mistakes and similar issues. The story itself is largely ready. :)

Edited by Infrared

• 1 month later...

I would like to continue on with the contest, and I imagine I'm not the only one, but it's fallen off all the judges' radar and it was never on the site's radar to begin with. I think if the staff ran a front-page story on it and allowed people to repost their entries so they were on the front page of the forum again it would help to reinvigorate interest.

I might try to make a Google Doc for the entry list so people can update it as they judge entries. Also, sort of a weird request, but it might be a good idea to provide blanket approval for edits to add in the new Matoran prefixes, since it's awkward having to constantly use "Matoran of Plasma" instead of "Su-Matoran," for example. :P

Edited by Infrared

EDIT:

As an authorized contest judge, I have read and judged this entry:

Casualties by Toa Jalokim

I find minor errors (grammar, wording) with this entry.

----

Rising by Toa Makao

I approve this entry.

----

First Kill by TheSkeletonMan939

I approve this entry.

----

Toa by Iku

I approve this entry.

----

Edited by fishers64

I've created the Google Doc, which you can access here. Please edit it whenever you judge an entry (you don't need a Google account). As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:"Memory" by ExitiumI approve this entry. As an authorized Contest Judge, I have read and judged this entry:"Rising" by Toa MakaoI see problems with this entry.

Edited by Infrared

Also, sort of a weird request, but it might be a good idea to provide blanket approval for edits to add in the new Matoran prefixes, since it's awkward having to constantly use "Matoran of Plasma" instead of "Su-Matoran," for example. :P

Sure, granted. As long as people post in their topics to mention that they made those edits.

And nice idea with the Google doc.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Thank you for the Google doc! I was going to do that work, ( :P) but you've done it better. :)

Although I'm not sure that we need all the judges to approve. And I was going to go for a concise list of approved/unapproved ok/errors need to be fixed/stuff we need bones to see, etc. Still might do that.

Edited by fishers64

• 2 months later...

Nope, still planning to get back to it eventually. Sorry for the endless delay. :P First I'm finishing my Bionicle retelling draft (should be done by New Year's).

Nope, still planning to get back to it eventually. Sorry for the endless delay. :P First I'm finishing my Bionicle retelling draft (should be done by New Year's).

K, I was just wondering since I came back for my bi-annual check on whether the contest is over yet (lol) and found nothing'd happened since August. I didn't realise there'd been a downtime till I realised a few comments on my entry seemed to be missing. Plus the work I'd had to do on it.

zaktancopyja2.png

Last of the Matoran Universe (please read and review)

I recommend that all authors check the webcaches to find their lost work. :shrugs:

Restoring data-lost posts:

Legend of Lhii by :Yio:

I see problems with this entry.

Dawning Valor by DoomIgnika

Teacher by Tikiturbo

The Unknown Turaga by ZippyWharrgarbl

and

The First Hunter by Emissary

I approve these entries.

I'm not done yet - some of the cache versions aren't good, and I'm out of time to reevaluate ATM.

Edited by fishers64

I recommend that all authors check the webcaches to find their lost work. :shrugs:

Teacher by Tikiturbo

and

I approve these entries.

I'm not done yet - some of the cache versions aren't good, and I'm out of time to reevaluate ATM.

I've already checked and restored mine.

zaktancopyja2.png

Here's the Google Doc again. I'm not sure if it was kept that well-updated, but we might be able to use it to figure out which topics' judging posts were deleted.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/146GKnVQm1xsp3zqDByX_rZvjM2JeW1DFzWwtNLz0V3M/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Infrared

Here's a couple more:

As an authorized contest judge, I have read and judged these entries:

Certainty by Baron Von Nebula

AND

Belief by Dual Matrix

I approve these entries.

Invasion by Lewa Krom

I find problems with this entry.

Homework completed again. Hooray. (I'll redo the status report thing later, when bones finally decides to finish this. Arrgh data loss and stuff.)

Edited by fishers64

• 2 weeks later...

Teacher by Tikiturbo

and

I approve these entries.

Thank you for reposting and judging my entry, Fisher. Also, I corrected the mistake you found, and changed it from saying "children" to "Matoran."

Edited by Tikiturbo

Not Tikicrazy. Not Tikiloco. Just plain ol' Tikiturbo.

Check Out My S&T 7 Entry: "Teacher" Below

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=7740

KINGDOM HEARTS Fan? PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Could we perhaps get blanket approval to fix the formatting in our entries?

Sure. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does the character the story is about have to be the perspective the story is told from? And if there are characters that were given a role, but not a name, kanohi, element, tool, etc., are they allowed to be given in the story?

Edited by Mampt

Does the character the story is about have to be the perspective the story is told from? And if there are characters that were given a role, but not a name, kanohi, element, tool, etc., are they allowed to be given in the story?

You're a year and a half too late for this contest. Results are (amazingly) still being judged.

• 2 months later...

Go ahead. :)

No progress is being made; it's being put off while I deal with other things.

You can expect me to get back to this whenever I finish writing The Destiny of Bionicle (first draft anyhow). :) This and the EM Shards contest are the next major to-do list things after that. And yes, the delay equals bad, but since Bionicle's over there really isn't any rush.

I would say this year, but life has a way of crushing such hopes...

Edit: Come to think of it, all the entry characters die before the point where I am, so no further canon-source reviewing should be necessary -- so actually, there's no need for further delay! (I just checked.)

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

As stated before, all characters who were believed dead at the time the contest started were fair game.

You can expect me to get back to this whenever I finish writing The Destiny of Bionicle (first draft anyhow). :) This and the EM Shards contest are the next major to-do list things after that. And yes, the delay equals bad, but since Bionicle's over there really isn't any rush.

I would say this year, but life has a way of crushing such hopes...

Seeing as the judging is indefinitely delayed, might new entries be accepted until you finish your story? After all, the point of a deadline is to allow for judging, but since we have no definite idea when judging will be, the deadline seems pointless. I understand that the judges may be busy with other things, but then, since the final judgement is on hold, the judges could take their time. I suspect that most people who want to submit stories have already done so, which leaves a few (I think) newcomers to add to the collection. This may not be feasible, but I think it's worth asking about.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

No, because then we'd need even more time to judge those, etc.

Would there really be that many more entries? Tell me, as forum moderator, how many members who entered the contest were active in this forum?

I understand that have the final word on the matter, I am simply making one last (probably) futile attempt to persuade you otherwise. :P

I apologize if I am being annoying.

Edited by Quisoves Pugnat

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Update: Actually, I can get back to this contest now; the main reason for the delay was I needed to thoroughly review the canon sources, but all the entry characters die before the point where I'm reviewing now. :)

QP: Like I said, any further entries at all would add to the time needed to judge, and given that it's way late as-is, that really wouldn't be wise. Sorry. :(

• Upvote 2

As stated before, all characters who were believed dead at the time the contest started were fair game.

Oh, excellent, I must have missed that.

Update: Actually, I can get back to this contest now; the main reason for the delay was I needed to thoroughly review the canon sources, but all the entry characters die before the point where I'm reviewing now. :)

QP: Like I said, any further entries at all would add to the time needed to judge, and given that it's way late as-is, that really wouldn't be wise. Sorry. :(

Ooooooh! *many excitement*

• Upvote 1

zaktancopyja2.png

I re-formatted my entry, and found that while I still liked reading it, a few lines of dialogue were rather grating and crummy. It might be a bit bothersome for another judge to read it again, but might I have permission to spice up a few lines of my story? No plot changes - I'm just hoping to enliven some of the dialogue.

Go ahead.

Progress report: Entry list format fixed. Format of some of the stories on the list fixed.