How would you like Bionicle to Return?

Click

Okay, I didn't see a topic here, but we've all heard Bionicle may return in a few years (I think it was confirmed by Greg), so, if it does return, how would you like it to?Personally, I would like to see kind of a Year One thing, with the Nuva returning with functions, some Rahi/riders to battle (Bota Magna Biomechanical Dinosaurs anyone? :P), and then a rebuilt Matoran set, with more new pieces and posability. Maybe throw in a mix of Glatorian and Agori as well, like release Tahu, Lewa, Gali, Skrall, Bota Magna Vorox, and Gelu for one wave (or new Glatorian), and then Ackar, Kiina, Gresh, Onua, Pohatu, and Kopaka for the other. Either way, mounts or vehicles with functions would be my vote.Maybe for the story, we'd need something believable, canon, and that won't drive away older Bionicle fans. Maybe different underground factions of Skrall supporters trying to secretly drive the MU and SM inhabitants apart? I really like the story of mid-Bionicle, with all of those sub-sub-plots and secret groups finally coming to light. Something like that would be cool, but started off slow, so we can get into the story before throwing some crazy plot on us. :DWhat would you like to see in a new Bionicle release? Storyline wise, set wise, etc.?

Meh, I wouldn't really care about the sets, mainly because I'm kinda losing interest.But I really want TYQ and TPTB to continue, since I'd like to know who the GB is.BTW, when was it confirmed by Greg that it would return?

Edited by King James

Okay, first off, nothing has been confirmed by Greg. I talked briefly with Binkmeister at last BricksCascade, and his words were "I'm not going to rule [bIONICLE's return] out, but it's certainly not planned and not currently being discussed."The main issue with rebooting BIONICLE is that you'd have to base it completely away from the decade-long backstory. They tried this in 2009 and that year flopped because, to understand the story, you have to know what happened the year before ... and 2008 was the culmination of 2001 to 2007. Essentially, the longer the story went on, the more convoluted the storyline became, and anyone who wanted to get into it needed to know at least the summary of what happened in that time frame. TO successfully reboot BIONICLE, LEGO would have to take care to not repeat 2009.If it returns, it should be in many years from now. Now - or even the immediate future - is still too soon.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I would want something other then SM, with new characters.

Edited by Toa of Smooth Jazz

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

A rehash of some story themes already covered in media, but not in sets. (Fohrok, more Dark Hunters, more Brotherhood of Makuta members, Ancient Toa, etc.) They'd really help fill in that HUGE, interesting gap between sets produced and the storyline.

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

Greg confirmed Bionicle to return in a few years? Why did no-one tell me this sooner? :/With the position the story is now, it is a perfect time to start a brand new story with few to no links to the past 10 years. Plus, that story can go anywhere!Perhaps we could set it a few years (or perhaps 750 as suggested in Sahmad's Tale) after the Battle of Bara Magna, with Matoran/Agori, Skakdi, Skrall etc. kingdoms re-established and going strong. Conflict could be started by various villains wanting to take over Spherus Magna, such as the gold-skinned being, the Shadowed One, the League of Six Kingdoms and what remains of the Skrall.Set-wise, there are SO MANY characters we already know of that don't have set forms, and I for one would LOVE to see many of them as sets! Baterra and Sisters of the Skrall sets I would KILL for!They could keep the old structure of 6 small (12 would be even better), 12 canister and about half a dozen large sets each year, because it works.I'd love it if they made Matoran of Magnetism too, because they're very hard to MOC, and my Jovan combiner looks very out-of-place without them. :P

Edited by Makuta_of_Oz

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Obviously if it was brought back, it would have to have almost no links to the original story. So what I think is that it should be set many years in the future, with new characters.Some concepts, Toa, Glatorian, Matoran etc. would be pretty easy to explain. Set up a new villain for the piece, set it on Spherus Magna, and there you have it. A way to reboot without destroying what came before. Maybe throw in a few nods to the original for fans.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

I'd want a reboot. This story is over, if you ask me. Plus, trying to continue where we left off would be kinda difficult considering all that's happened.Unless they start the story in the same universe, but far enough in their future that what happened before isn't all that important. I could see that working. Not sure about any details. Maybe have some whole thing where the Toa are basically non-existant, then some Matoran dudes find Toa Stones and become the heroes and save the planet. Or some cliche thing like that.As for building, I'm not sure if I'd want the HF building style or something more Technic based. A cool combination of the two would be great. Have the basic HF skeleton with the cladding reminiscent of Bionicle parts. Now that I think about it, that would be sweet. And it would add some much needed character to the building style. Just think of the classic Toa Mata legs only poseable. What I've always wanted...Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Okay, first off, nothing has been confirmed by Greg. I talked briefly with Binkmeister at last BricksCascade, and his words were "I'm not going to rule [bIONICLE's return] out, but it's certainly not planned and not currently being discussed."
Okay, sorry for the confusion everyone, I think this is what I was thinking of, although I could have sworn that someone had confirmed it. :/
Set-wise, there are SO MANY characters we already know of that don't have set forms, and I for one would LOVE to see many of them as sets! Baterra and Sisters of the Skrall sets I would KILL for!
Yes, a Baterra set was planned on, but never made, and I would definitely want to rectify that. :P
I'd like to see the Mata and Bohrok reimagined maybe a more unique build for each set. Bending knees and elbows, and gear-actuated functions.
This is actually kind of what I would think of. Functions, yet posability, although not neccesarily the Mata and Bohrok, because then Greg would have to struggle to incorperate that into the plotline, and it would just get messy. Personally, a return of the Chronicler's Company would be awesome, and it could be done with few links to the previous story.
You should make a VOTING POLL for this.
Um, this isn't really a voting kind of topic. I considered it, but it's much more fun to see the different ideas than "Do you want Bionicle to return like a. Remade 01 sets, b. Sets from story that didn't get made, or c. Complete throwaway of canon."

Anyhow. I would say sure, BIONICLE returning would be fine. It would be interesting to see how Hero Factory had influenced it overall. But since it's not going to happen, I'm also totally fine with Hero Factory.
This. At first I really didn't like Hero factory but actually taking a proper look at them, they have been getting better pretty much every year. I prefer Bionicle, but it really needed to end. Any one with any thing about them knows that. That's not saying I don't want a return though. I'm just saying it needed some down time

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

Hard to say what I'd want to see. A re-imagining of the story from the beginning wouldn't really work too well because the secrets and mysteries were the main things driving the story forward from the beginning, and retreading old ground wouldn't have the same surprises. Eliminate those mysteries and you eliminate some of the most fundamental aspects of the theme.On the other hand, telling new stories starting from where the story left off could be difficult. There is just so much essential mythology to learn-- it would be terrible to make new fans learn the differences between the many races (Glatorian, Skrall, Agori, Matoran/Toa/Turaga, etc.) the story left us with.The best way I can imagine rebooting the story would be starting at some point in the semi-distant future, where the ties to the older story are present but not necessarily essential to an understanding of the story. You could even do something like in The Legend of Korra where the characters gradually learned what happened in the intervening time between the "old story" and the "new story", though by this point only the basics of the "old story" itself would continue to play a role in the "new story". Overall, though, I think rebooting BIONICLE in a way that is true to the spirit of the original theme would be more trouble than it's worth.

The storyline I wouldn't want to dictate really, I'd want to be surprised by that, so I'm not gonna speculate. I don't know what I want, what I want is what someone else chooses.Set-wise I would hope they keep to proper Bionicle builds, I would hate to see the Bionicle name corrupted by the new constraction builds. They're just spindly skeletons with armor plates stuck on, and nothing to hide the skeleton from behind. If I'm not going to dictate storyline, I'm not going to say what kind of sets I'd like to see either, that comes from the storyline. However, I did enjoy the vehicles of '08, and would like to see more vehicles.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

The storyline I wouldn't want to dictate really, I'd want to be surprised by that, so I'm not gonna speculate. I don't know what I want, what I want is what someone else chooses.Set-wise I would hope they keep to proper Bionicle builds, I would hate to see the Bionicle name corrupted by the new constraction builds. They're just spindly skeletons with armor plates stuck on, and nothing to hide the skeleton from behind. If I'm not going to dictate storyline, I'm not going to say what kind of sets I'd like to see either, that comes from the storyline. However, I did enjoy the vehicles of '08, and would like to see more vehicles.
I'd argue that throughout most of Bionicle's lifespan the sets were just spindly skeletons without armor plates stuck on. Most canister sets had single-piece lower legs and arms. How is the Hero Factory system worse than that?Personally, I feel Bionicle canister sets were generally boring, with only a few exceptions (especially in 2009, with sets like Skrall and Strakk using the Inika torso in new and unique configurations), and the building system was not nearly as versatile. In the event of Bionicle's return, I'd hate to see Lego throw away the monumental steps forward in set design which we've seen since its end.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

For those who said about the whole reboot thing, I agree with you. Clean slate, new story, and no ties to the old story. It might sound crazy, but I do agree with a lot of the reasoning others have given.2009 was meant to be like a "reboot" so to say, but that didn't go so well since it kind of harkens to the 2001-2008 story quite a bit, so for anyone who just "tuned in" to the story, they might not know what's going on unless someone tells them "oh, this is what happened," and give them a low down on the previous story. So if it did return, what they ought to do is completely restart it from the ground up. Maybe keep the same characters, but nothing to tie it in with the old storyline, especially if this were to be many years in the future. Something new and built from scratch, that way new fans can understand what's going on. Same time though, it would be a good idea to keep that same feel from the early years of Bionicle. And not go from an island to 3 planets. The story got a bit complicated after 2005/2006. At least, for me, it did. I'd been a fan since 2001, so when they started to go into the concept of the Matoran universe and how these all these islands beneath the island of Mata Nui, that's when I had to slow down and sort of go over it again. It got more complicated once the plot twist in 2008 revealed all the islands were within Mata Nui as the Matoran universe. Yeah... Even to this day, that still sort of weirded me out.So in a nutshell, build the story again from the ground up, and it's okay to keep the same characters but just don't delve into the whole previous story as to not confuse fans. And to also try and keep that same kind of mystique from 2001-2003 without rushing into the whole "there's these three planets and Mata Nui's this giant robot everyone lives in" kind of thing, because that kind of weirded me out.

I'd be fine with a reboot (Age-old franchises rebooted tends to turn out well, look at the Transformers movies.), but it'd be better off with something set in the far future. That way they can make their own story, and can call upon previous events whenever they want. Best of both worlds.Though like I said, a reboot without the violence restrictions that impeded Bionicle from '01-'05 would also be great.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Do a reset. Back to Mata Nui, back with a Hau, Akaku, etc. Save money on making new names, give us a wave of nostalgia. Then change things up, play with the villains, play with our expectations.

• Upvote 1

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

If Bionicle did return, I would want it to start over with new characters and locations. Maybe the story could have one or two references to the old one, but overall it would be a new story.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I'd like to see something in the style of 2001 - that being a relatively small cast and a simpler storyline in which the stakes are not quite so desperately high, occurring in a few well-explored, atmospheric locations, rather than whole planets and universes.A reboot would be the only conceivable way of doing this.

Actually I could see them doing it on the current location and bring back old characters while introducing new ones. All you would have to do is do what the team did with Mata Nui. There was a Metru Nui background and all the Turaga/Matoran all had a history background and if the line had ended 3 years after it began with the conclusion of Mask of Light, we woudn't be any the wiser.So I could see all these characters coming back in the story with a definate focus on what's happening after everyone gets thrown together and starts a life of harmony with an occasional joke/reference to the old line. So just imagine the Glatorian line but without the old story being forced on it at the end.

sb1.png

Thanks to Argetlam for the Banner

Do a reset. Back to Mata Nui, back with a Hau, Akaku, etc. Save money on making new names, give us a wave of nostalgia. Then change things up, play with the villains, play with our expectations.
I'd like to see something in the style of 2001 - that being a relatively small cast and a simpler storyline in which the stakes are not quite so despe coursrately high, occurring in a few well-explored, atmospheric locations, rather than whole planets and universes.A reboot would be the only conceivable way of doing this.
This also seems like the best course of action to me. Spherus Magna just has too much stuff going on for it to serve as the starting point for a return. If they did start there, they'd need a fairly large amount of story to be able to bring people up to speed on the setting without being overwhelming - we're talking a TV series or something here, plus other supplementary material, and even then it'd be counter-intuitive since the nature of the business (sets) means they'd have to focus on a fairly small core cast anyways.However, rebooting in a similar but not-the-same sort of setting would make for a more natural jumping-on point for new audiences and - though I can almost guarantee this would play only a small part in any future considerations of the line - provide a healthy familiarity for older fans.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Total reboot. Get a talented animator/creator to make a TV show, hand them the story bible, and say "knock yourself out". Make the story drive the sets.It needs to be a completely new continuity, but possibly following the same basic story structure. The characters could be mixed around a bit (For example, they might get rid of the gendered elements rule, or even have a completely new set of characters that are expies of the old ones). And having a TV show gives you more screentime to tell the story in detail, so we don't miss huge chunks like we did with the movies.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Well, it'd be nice instead of starting in the way future, we explore the prehistory of BIONICLE, from before the Great Beings. That could certainly have a lot of potential, and that way new fans wouldn't need to know anything about the old story.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

I would like it to x amount of years after the reformation of spherus magna. There would be matoran, agori, toa, and evil toa who betrayed the others in order to fight for some huge evil guy. Each wave would also release one exclusive set that would have nothing to do with the current story, Battera, giant robot etc.

"EXTERMINATE"-Dalek #1 to #3458271

If you have a self MOC you would like me to build just PM me and I'll make it as long as I have the pieces.

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6562-6279

Pokemon Y safari: Audino, Dunsparce and Chansey

Id like to see brotherhood?skrall retreating to the black spike mountins and gearing up for war. WOuld also see the matoran resistance beacome toa and look for the mask of time.

wearewaiting.gif

As long as there is one bionicle fan out there there is still hope for bionicle to return. Keep faith. Bionicle is amazing.

then I dont have to pay 50$ to get tahu of ebay.It would be awesome to use a mix of bionicle and hero factory parts. Maybe the toa mata/nuva could be turaga or something. Edited by man774

I would like a new storyline independent of the old one (although a meeting with the old one via BIONICLEstory.com would be cool.The main problem with a new storyline is that, in my opinion, Mata Nui was pretty much perfect and they would be hard pressed to match it. I would love a continuation of all the threads that were left off.Alternatively, sets from previous storylines could be created and released as some sort of special edition thing.

The Legend Lives...

I've had thoughts similar to those expressed by Aanchir and turtleman.Spherus Magna, millions of years in the future -- distant enough that the entirety of the current canon has been forgotten, except for perhaps a few convoluted myths, and all the characters we knew are long gone. The technology from both Mata Nui robots was salvaged for the building of cities, vehicles, etc. To make matters even simpler, many of the various and sundry races have grown more and more similar over the eras, so there are fewer species for fans to keep track of. And there are no more Toa.Then some Matoran are mysteriously turned into Toa for the first time in one hundred thousand millenia. Nobody knows what to think. Then some bad stuff happens. Maybe aliens or a corrupt government or something, I dunno. Bam. We have us an entirely new storyline. Maybe Mata Nui shows up again, since his mind has been comatose the whole time, but of course nobody remembers who this superintelligent disembodied computer program thing is.Anyway, that's what sounds good in my head.

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You

Well, I've been thinking for a long time about how'd I'd like Bionicle to return (Two years is a long time, right?), I was thinking that maybe 10, 20 years after Makuta was defeated, there would be some large, really bad guy, that has been boiling about the defeat of Makuta for a long time. So he starts going berserk, and starts killing matoren and stuff like that. At this point in the story, the toa would be turaga, having completed their destiny and such. Then a few of the newer toa (I was thinking Mahri) that haven't done anything for a long time due to the absence of evil, rise up to defend the matoren from this new evil. So those guys are overtaken by this one guy, making the rest of the matoren turn on the toa that are left. But a few of them go into hiding and such (By the way, Vakama and the other turaga are dead, like two years after Makuta was defeated) and start planning about how they are going to defeat this new evil.Then a matoren turns on the rest of the group, telling the bad matoren and bad evil guy about the hideout of where the toa, turaga, and matoren are. So he goes over there with a battalion or whatever of Rahski, Bohrak, whatever is willing to serve him, and kills a bunch of matoren, and all the remaining toa. Fortunately, 6 matoren escape from the evil grasps of the new bad guy. Obviously, they become the new toa and such. Thats all I've thought of so far.