JiMing

Still working on OoT and TP on my Wii, which is a very long time considering that I've had at OOT for about 5 years, and I got TP right after it became one of the Nintendo Selects. I'm pretty sure I'm on the sand temple in both of them. But, I like OOT more so far.And I just finished The Last Story, the final boss was a bit unexpected, but provided a really good challenge. Even though it has a rather short story (beat the game, start to finish, exactly 20 hours), it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played. And, multiple replays and online add a ton to the game, I expect to play it for a good while more.

Zelda games are amazing, but I'm just so bad at them. I have Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword but I haven't beaten either of them yet.
I'm decent at them, although to be fair I've only played Ocarina of Time 3D and Twilight Princess, and haven't beaten Twilight Princess yet (but that's more due to me not playing as often as I should). I'm excited for new Zelda games for the Wii U, but I also wouldn't mind older ones on the Virtual Console (especially if the Wii U has GameCube games on the Virtual Console, since I regret missing out on Wind Waker). Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

They confirmed that the Wii U will have GameCube games on Virtual Console. Makes up for the lack of backwards compatability I guess.Oh, and ALL OF YOU SCUM FINISH TWILIGHT PRINCESS!!!! THAT GAME SINGLE-HANDEDLY TURNED ME INTO A GAMER!!!! ERNfsvbkghsjdkvl bdlfjd! BEAT IT!!!!!!!!!!

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

... Motion controls are awful in TP, IMO. I've tried SS, much better there, but I wish that I got the GC version of TP. Other than that, I've also had other games taking up all my time on the Wii (mainly The Last Story and Xenoblade), but I should get back to it soon.

Source: Game Informer websiteAnd I don't understand your argument. I thought the motion controls were perfect in Twilight Princess-they were there, and they worked well. You didn't have to be too precise, and they weren't so prominent that you felt like they were being shoved down your throat.

"The moral of the story is, I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way. I'll never make that mistake again. No more half measures Walter."

They confirmed that the Wii U will have GameCube games on Virtual Console. Makes up for the lack of backwards compatability I guess.Oh, and ALL OF YOU SCUM FINISH TWILIGHT PRINCESS! !!! THAT GAME SINGLE-HANDEDLY TURNED ME INTO A GAMER! !!! ERNfsvbkghsjdkvl bdlfjd! BEAT IT! !!!! !!!!!
I finished it when I got my Wii. =P 100% completed it, too. Haven't beaten my second playthrough, but that's partly I think because I decided to play it after 'use a to run' Skyward Sword, which ruined all the old 3D games, since you can't run in those. =P Possibly except Wind Waker, but after my hiatus in that, I'm lost. =(
... Motion controls are awful in TP, IMO. I've tried SS, much better there, but I wish that I got the GC version of TP. Other than that, I've also had other games taking up all my time on the Wii (mainly The Last Story and Xenoblade), but I should get back to it soon.
Yeah, I can attest to the motion controls. They were good for most items IIRC(And made me a believer in Motion Control accuracy in terms of the bow. =P), but... Shield Bash.
Source: Game Informer websiteAnd I don't understand your argument. I thought the motion controls were perfect in Twilight Princess-they were there, and they worked well. You didn't have to be too precise, and they weren't so prominent that you felt like they were being shoved down your throat.
Shield Bash. Shield bash, Shield bash, Shield Bash. Try using that, or the other special techniques, for an extended period of time. Especially when it's your first non-Wii Sports game on the Wii. =P

They confirmed that the Wii U will have GameCube games on Virtual Console. Makes up for the lack of backwards compatability I guess.Oh, and ALL OF YOU SCUM FINISH TWILIGHT PRINCESS! !!! THAT GAME SINGLE-HANDEDLY TURNED ME INTO A GAMER! !!! ERNfsvbkghsjdkvl bdlfjd! BEAT IT! !!!! !!!!!
Whoa, calm down. My Wii's at home, and I'm at college. I have an excuse.I didn't mind the motion controls for Twilight Princess that much. In fact, one of my inhibitions about getting Skyward Sword is that I fear its more realistic controls will be far more strenuous (In Twilight Princess you can swing your sword with just a flick of the wrist).Still probably gonna get it when I finish Twilight Princess, but I'm worried it'll take me even longer to complete.

As someone who plays a lot of fast-paced action games, motion controls for attacks will always be too slow for me (you can press a button on a controller way faster than you can swing a controller), and I'm almost positive the combat was a bit faster in OOT. The only place TP felt really good for me was when using items, the point-and-click controls are really nice and not unnatural at all. And, as Blade pointed out, techniques can be annoying to pull off.

If you played OOT3D,then yes, it was faster. The entire game was, in fact, since they increased the frame rate from the original version, but kept the original attack animation speed; which made it faster when it came to implementation, because the frame rate went up. =pLyichir: They aren't that much more strenuous, you mostly just have to plan your attacks a little more, so they're not bouncing off all the time. =P You don't need to actually use exaggerated real movements, though I sometimes do, just to get into character. =P

Haven't played in a little while, but IIRC, the Bokoblin at the very least counter attack shortly after you attack first. Sure, it's easily avoidable, and there is a slight delay so as not to be speedy opponents who you can't attack without getting things right the first time. =PAlso, about the not being registered, that might be more of an issue with the MotionPlus, it worked fine most of the time for me. :shrugs:

Edited by BZP Blade

Twilight Princess didn't use the Motion Plus. I didn't have any problem with the motions not being recognized, so try moving the sensor bar around. Maybe I was just lucky, I dunno.

When I was at New York Comic Con, the Nintendo rep let an interesting fact slip about Scribblenauts Unlimited, that Nintendo has allegedly licensed characters to the Scribblenauts team to use.Today, this was teased:scribblenautsu_zps60006bf5.jpgLooks like some Mario and Zelda characters to me. And this wouldn't be surprising seeing how they have been licensing their IPs in a few other third party games.

I have a strong dislike towards the Wii U. 99% because that Lego City game, the first original (non-Bionicle/Technic) major LEGO game since Island Xtreme Stunts in 2002, is only on the Wii U and not on any other console, even though TT has many times said they try to publish their things on every console.
Hope you aren't including the like ten Lego games TT made
Erm, what are you talking about? Why wouldn't I talk about Lego games when I'm talking about Lego games?
Lego Universe says hi. And even assuming you mean "original" as in "not based on a licensed theme", TT Games also produced Lego Battles (Pirates/Ninja/Mars Mission/Castle) and Lego Battles: Ninjago. What else do those games have in common with Lego City: Undercover? They were published by Nintendo exclusively for Nintendo systems. If you have to hate someone for Undercover's exclusivity, the blame would fall on TT Games or WB Games for not pursuing cross platform for their non-licensed Lego games, or on Sony/Microsoft for not making a better offer. You can hate systems for not having games you want, or not providing as good an experience of games you like as other systems. But hating a system because it alone has a game you want makes zero sense.
Lego Universe doesn't count to me due to its nature of being online and being able to be shut down. As for the other two, they weren't major games like this, but I did wish they would be on other things even though I have a DS.As for hating it because of one exclusive game... I'm probably just making a fuss.But I really don't like the screen in the controller. It just looks really awkward.

GREEN RED BRICK, YOU STAY!!!

...are you ready to le

Speaking from someone who's been generally switching to handheld gaming for the past 5 or 6 years, it's not awkward at all. Any experience with DS or 3DS shows pretty much what the Wii U will be like; except with a bigger screen, and a non-docked upper screen. To put it simply. =P

Having played the Wii U multiple times now I can say that the controller is really light and comfortable. It isn't awkward at all, in my opinion. Although hating a system just because they have an exclusive isn't really logical. All the systems have exclusives, you want the game sometimes that just means that you'll have to buy the system. Based on the fact that Lego City Stories is being published by Nintendo, don't count on waiting to see it on another system ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the Wii/WiiU data transfer thing sounds... Unnesecarily complicated. I guess it's the same thing as the DSi/3DS transfer, but it sounds rather complicated for a console.Anyways, only a short while left until the WiiU comes out! And I'll hopefully be visiting Nintendo World Store in NYC next month (I love that place), so I'll definitely have to try it. Went there when the Wii came out, and that was a lot of fun.

After skimming this last page of this thread, I'm just happy people have stopped pretending that GCN made more sense than GC or NGC as an acronym for the Gamecube.

This topic so far

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it, did a tree fall?

Vs.

If a tree falls in a forest and we're too far away to hear it trees don't exist and never will.

I got to try a WiiU out at my local Gamestop. I am not disappointed. Like people have pointed out in the past, the controller has a great grip. It's smaller than I expected, but it's an awesome fit. It had Rayman Legends.I never thought co-op without actually being the moving character could be so cool.

I got to try a WiiU out at my local Gamestop. I am not disappointed. Like people have pointed out in the past, the controller has a great grip. It's smaller than I expected, but it's an awesome fit. It had Rayman Legends.I never thought co-op without actually being the moving character could be so cool.
I'm not surprised it was cool, since it worked well in Super Mario Galaxy. Mind, Super Mario Galaxy's co-star mode wasn't the greatest example of co-op, but it did make it so that someone watching their friend play the game could take a slightly more active role.I'd like to get out to the local Best Buy to try out the Wii U, but I've been pretty busy lately.

I'm not surprised it was cool, since it worked well in Super Mario Galaxy. Mind, Super Mario Galaxy's co-star mode wasn't the greatest example of co-op, but it did make it so that someone watching their friend play the game could take a slightly more active role.I'd like to get out to the local Best Buy to try out the Wii U, but I've been pretty busy lately.
Some of the time both players could be characters, it was like NSMBWii, but without the bumping into each other. There was a room with a bunch of different characters to play as.

Some of the time both players could be characters, it was like NSMBWii, but without the bumping into each other. There was a room with a bunch of different characters to play as.
Sounds sort of like a sidescrolling Lego Star Wars. Could the second player drop in or out, like in those games?

Sounds sort of like a sidescrolling Lego Star Wars. Could the second player drop in or out, like in those games?
It was kind of like that, and sometimes the player with the WiiUmote has to become this frog guy. I'm not really sure whether or not you could drop out, but it starts with just one player, so I'm gonna assume you can drop out, too.

Galaxy's co-star mode stunk. Enough said there.Galaxy 2 was way better than the former, but I really want to see NSMBWii type of multiplayer for the next 3D Mario. Or even some sort of Boost Mode.And wow, I got into Zelda. TP definitely has some great controls on the Wii, seeig as I don't have the GCN version (why GCN for an acronym?). Interested to see how SS plays out in that category, once I get it of course :P.But Zelda 2014 should definitely be interesting. I imagine the GamePad will be used for Link's inventory or something in those lines. You?~MN~

The long awaited third season of TA:OT is finally here!!

I bring news on the achievement-like system: it isn't mandatory for devs to include achievements/trophies/whatever they're going to be called, but the way I read it they are there. They seem to have less emphasis on them then they do on 360, which to me isn't really a good or bad thing. I'm kind of glad they aren't mandatory, because I like achievements, and while it is a loss for me, the devs seems to like it not being mandatory. Plenty of them will include it, I'm sure, but if they are not forced, then maybe we won't end up with the occasional "impossible" achievement. You people with 360s or PS3s know what I mean-when you get that game, and you're gonna 1000 point/100% it, but it has that crazy achievement to top the leaderboards, or a 1-point achievement for beating it on the hardest difficulty. I do expect triple A third party games to include them, stuff like AC3, ME3, Assassin's Creed 3, NFS: Most Wanted, and all the others. I'm not sure if I expect that Nintendo will include them in games like Bayonetta 2, Zelda 2014, NSMBU, etc.Personally, I am still looking forward to the system. And I'm sick of hearing stuff about how Nintendo will never appeal to the hardcore audience. Before the Wii, they did appeal to the hardcore audience, and whereas the Wii wasn't a "hardcore" sort of system, those gamers probably picked up a few first-party titles. I, however, will wait until the first price drop at the earliest, most likely, because I don't have a lot of money. As for what third-party games it will get, I expect it to get all the big releases 360 and PS3 do, and once the next Xbox and PlayStation come out, I think the relationship between those and the Wii U will mirror the relationship between PS3 and 360. Before I say this, note that I have a 360, not PS3. The PS3 has better graphics than 360 (however, those don't make a console, but they help) but they still get the same third-party games. Why? Because the gap isn't too big for the devs to bridge. I expect that to be the case with the Wii U, where it will still get the third party games. I think it has the potential to be Nintendo's return to the hardcore audience. Just because one console set them off track, doesn't mean they can't get back on track.

I bring news on the achievement-like system: it isn't mandatory for devs to include achievements/trophies/whatever they're going to be called, but the way I read it they are there. They seem to have less emphasis on them then they do on 360, which to me isn't really a good or bad thing. I'm kind of glad they aren't mandatory, because I like achievements, and while it is a loss for me, the devs seems to like it not being mandatory. Plenty of them will include it, I'm sure, but if they are not forced, then maybe we won't end up with the occasional "impossible" achievement. You people with 360s or PS3s know what I mean-when you get that game, and you're gonna 1000 point/100% it, but it has that crazy achievement to top the leaderboards, or a 1-point achievement for beating it on the hardest difficulty.I do expect triple A third party games to include them, stuff like AC3, ME3, Assassin's Creed 3, NFS: Most Wanted, and all the others. I'm not sure if I expect that Nintendo will include them in games like Bayonetta 2, Zelda 2014, NSMBU, etc.Personally, I am still looking forward to the system. And I'm sick of hearing stuff about how Nintendo will never appeal to the hardcore audience. Before the Wii, they did appeal to the hardcore audience, and whereas the Wii wasn't a "hardcore" sort of system, those gamers probably picked up a few first-party titles.I, however, will wait until the first price drop at the earliest, most likely, because I don't have a lot of money.As for what third-party games it will get, I expect it to get all the big releases 360 and PS3 do, and once the next Xbox and PlayStation come out, I think the relationship between those and the Wii U will mirror the relationship between PS3 and 360. Before I say this, note that I have a 360, not PS3. The PS3 has better graphics than 360 (however, those don't make a console, but they help) but they still get the same third-party games. Why? Because the gap isn't too big for the devs to bridge. I expect that to be the case with the Wii U, where it will still get the third party games. I think it has the potential to be Nintendo's return to the hardcore audience. Just because one console set them off track, doesn't mean they can't get back on track.
Are you sure you read that correctly? What I read stated that there wouldn't be system-wide achievements, and instead games would have to implement their own internal achievement systems. Not that I have a problem with that; I love the systems of games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Kid Icarus Uprising that tie achievements to in-game unlockables, and thanks to the Miiverse functionality these in-game achievements should still have some similar social ramifications to system-wide achievements. But it doesn't seem like there'll be any centralized database of what achievements you've gotten across all of your games which feature them.I don't need a price drop before I get a Wii U. The price so far seems fair for what you're getting. But I still have no plans on getting a Wii U in the near future. I'm just not going to be home enough to enjoy it, and I've still got a backlog on my Wii and PC. Plus, I haven't seen any must-have games for it yet; the two main games on the system I want are going to have versions available for 3DS as well. All these things coupled with the through-the-roof demand the system's going to have during the early launch period mean that it's just not convenient for me to get it yet. Maybe next summer, when I get home for break.

After skimming this last page of this thread, I'm just happy people have stopped pretending that GCN made more sense than GC or NGC as an acronym for the Gamecube.
It did; when you consider that NGC was trademarked or so at the time. Why they didn't just pull a DS and just have 'GC' though... Maybe it was a serial number issue?

Currently, I would not get a WiiU. My mind might change however, if they do a good job in proving a secure, games-filled future with it. Past three consoles (Wii, DS, and to some extent the Gamecube) had bad third party support, either with severely neutered "ports" to keep up with lacking/unique software (mainly controls), or with bad shovelware (my spanish tutor anybody? video game adaptations of game shows?) I simply refuse to pay launch price for merely the privilege to play Nintendo games. In my opinion, the lifeblood of any console comes from the amount of third party support it receives; and in my opinion Nintendo has been on dialysis for too long, relying on hardware gimmicks and with any gaming substance coming from its own studio(s), and those guys can only produce so much support and titles at one time. TL;DR: Nintendo cannot hope to survive independently on its own. It needs more AAA third party titles on this system than in consoles past, or else it will run the very real risk of becoming as irrelevant as Sega. Microsoft isn't propped up alone by Master Chief and Forza. Sony didnt secure itself with only Drake, Killzone and God of War. Nintendo cannot hope to do any different in securing itself only with Link, Mario and Super Smash Bros.
I think it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Edited by Space Marine

AΨ 94

About the quote above, that's not entirely true... A lot of the good Wii games were third party. Granted, it had tons of Shovelware, but all hugely successful consoles have it. The PS2 had as many awesome games as the DS, but it also had a ton of shovelware titles... It's especially apparent with the Wii, simply because the control scheme of it allows more unique usages. Like, for instance, you wouldn't see a cooking game done well on a PS system or an XBox system.The DS had more than enough awesome games to combat the shovelware it got, though. It was the go-to system for RPGs, even over the PSP for the most part.

I've played somewhere around 5 third-party Wii games, ever, and I currently don't own any. The thing is, this is Nintendo, and their franchises usually have a long history and usually overshadow everything else so you don't notice that there are, in fact, good third-party games.That said, I've already got some third-party games I'm definitely getting once I get a WiiU (Bayonetta 2, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and one more I can't think of at this moment), and if I didn't have a PS3, I'd also probably get AC3, BO2, and ME3. So, WiiU has some great third party support.Anyways, on Achievements: I'm not really a big fan of how they're doing them, this way was fine on the Wii and 3DS, but since Nintendo Network seems to be a departure from the Wii-type networking and a step towards something like the PS3 or 360, I would have liked system-wide trophies and levels. Hopefully, Nintendo will eventually release an update for system-wide trophies in the future.Oh, and guess what? Friend codes are dead. Finally, it was about time, Nintendo.

Edited by Terminus24

I kinda liked Friend Codes in the terms of the 3DS, though... Well, just so long as they don't force you to choose some insane weird lettered version of your name, and instead have a similar method to Steam, that's fine... Otherwise, I'll never get a name I want, since I'm not likely to get a Wii U until about this time next year, or two years from now. -_-;

3DS friend codes are far from bad, since they only need to be entered once, but usernames are just better, IMO, simply because you can remember usernames easier than 12-digit codes when you input them.Also, I hope you can add friends/send messages like on PS3, with a recent players list to add friends from and a real text chat system (Swapnote on the 3DS fell short of the mark there).