JiMing

I agree, since that is much easier to remember. I get where the haters are coming from, but I just feel that there has to be a happy medium...You're looking for the Miiverse, then. =P Private messages and the ability to add friends at the click of a button. Dunno about in-game adding, though.

Sounds pretty neat, and I also heard that Cross-Game chat might be coming in the future, which would be really cool.Anyways, I noticed I'll have enough money for a WiiU by the beginning of next year... Anyways, for years I've always gotten a new system right around New Years (a couple of years ago, I returned the PS3 controllers and a PS3 game I got for Christmas to buy a PS3), so I'm considering getting the WiiU, but then I'll have to put off getting some other things that I've already put off for too long... Might get one if I can find one, because they'll probably be out of stock everywhere for months.

(a couple of years ago, I returned the PS3 controllers and a PS3 game I got for Christmas to buy a PS3)
0_o You got controllers and a game for the PS3, but you didn't have one yet? 0_oAnd yeah, the stock problem's going to likely be the number one reason I'm not going to get one until a year or two from now; barring a miracle. Aw well, my luck, if I did get one sooner(Since it'd pretty much have to be a gift), I'd get the badly nerfed Basic model. -_-'

Yeah, my parents didn't know you can't use PS3 stuff with a PS2 or PSP. :PAnyways, I'm avoiding the basic model at all costs, because apparently after formatting, it only has about 2-4 GB left. And that's over half the memory, and having to spend extra on a external HDD to use your system is just wrong. Oh, and once you format an external HDD with the WiiU, you can't use it with a computer, unless you format it again to be used with a computer and delete everything on it.

I see... =PYeah, those two things are odd.(Why did they even make the basic model?) However... I wonder if you can set multiple partitions, so that you can use it for different things? It is odd, though, since you couldn't store pictures or music on it... In fact, has anyone heard if there's even a music or picture app? 0_o The only reason I didn't use my Wii for music more, was because of the horrid file formats they allowed(Really? Just AAC? Come on Nintendo... At least you fixed that for the 3DS, though. =P). =/

I'd see a reason for the basic model to exist if it was under $250 USD, or possibly $200 (similar to the 4GB Xbox 360), or if it also included Nintendo Land. The thing that kills me, though is that the 32GB model is actually $10 USD cheaper, as $60 of the $350 is Nintendo Land, so it's actually only $290 + $60 for the game- why would spend $10 more and get about 1/8th of the space is beyond me.Of course, it probably exists because the WiiU is being sold at a loss, or in the hopes that people who buy the basic model buy another WiiU later instead of an HDD.Oh, and at one point Wii did in fact use MP3 files. The switch to AAC made no sense, as MP3 is more widely used, and iTunes is the only source I've ever actually downloaded AAC files from.

Edited by Terminus24

Yeah, exactly... AND you get added savings eventually, when you inevitably start buying downloaded games, since you can get 'coupons' basically, if you have the deluxe model.True... But, if you can split a 500 GB drive into effectively two 250s(By partitioning), then that's much cheaper in the longrun... Though, if someone upgrades to Deluxe, it works out for them in the longrun anyway. =P

... What? That doesn't sound right, considering right on their site they have a screenshot of an 'add friend' button on the Miiverse screenshots; and even so, Steam does the same thing. It's a matter of 'do you really want people to just automatically add you to your friend list?', and probably a privacy thing too.If Sony and Microsoft don't make you have to accept the requests, then they're probably the ones that need to take a look back at their systems... =/

On PSN you have to approve friends (you get notified if someone wants to add you), but from what I've heard, once you add someone on the WiiU via the friend hub, there's no notification. However, after doing a little more reading, I found out you can, in fact, request friends, but this is done via the Miiverse hub, not the friends menu (which uses the 3DS- style "both people need each other's usernames" system). Still, it's too complicated when compared to almost everything else that isn't done by Nintendo.Beat me to it, Tilius.And yes, it is far, far too clunky for a modern online network.

Edited by Terminus24

Well, I'd guess there's the possibility for an update. The thing is that it is odd. I understand the privacy thing being a reason; however, if it's because of not wanting people to join games before they're approved, then just disable that. At the very least have a notification go out, or allow it to time out, so there aren't empty spots taken up.

Well, even though the WiiU is sold at a loss, that becomes profit once someone buys a game. Here's a quote from Reggie:"As soon as we get the consumer to buy one piece of software, then that entire transaction becomes profit positive," he explained."In the end, the business model is still to drive the install base of hardware, and then to drive a strong tie ratio with all of the other software and experiences for the consumer. And if we're able to do that, then we will create significant profit for the company."