Codrex Sketchbook

Crunchyn

This summer, I recently took up a new hobby, bookbinding. And when I found this one ugly cheap journal at a thrift store, I bought it, ripped off the cover and turned it into this:

img_0113.jpg_thumb.jpg

CLICKY.

Other views:

Materials:

1 recycled sketchbook

Cardboard

Cotton Twine

Paper bag [for the inside of the cover]

Velvet Grey Charcoal Paper

Notes: You might notice that I really really REALLY messed up the back XD. An error in gluing the boards on the cover. UNITY DUTY DESTINY is obviously supposed to be turned around so that it's on the top left, not the bottom right, but meh I only had that one sheet. I made the design inspired by Dr. Halsey's Journal from Halo Reach Limited Edition.

To start off with this journal I felt it fitting that I draw something Bionicle on the first page

:) so here's a quick 20 minute sketch of Mata Nui. You guys also get a hint of what kind of class I'm starting off with this semester lol.

matanuisketch.jpg_thumb.jpg

ANOTHER CLICKY

New bad drawing lol:

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Wow... I mean, wow...This is sooooo awesome! I want one now! :DSeriously, excellent work. And that Mata Nui drawing is amazing too. ^_^ (and I'm gonna take a stab and say art perhaps? :P) What media did you use for Mata Nui BTW? I can't tell for some reason. (I'm an art student, I should be able to do this! >.<)Astris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

Both the sketchbook and the sketch of Mata Nui are very nice. I love the front of the book and even the back, though it's very visible that you messed it. Can't say if it really has been inspired from Dr. Halsey's Journal, but I actually had a Halo-feeling, if you catch my meaning. :biggrin:Very good job, Crunchy! As always.

Wow... I mean, wow...This is sooooo awesome! I want one now! :biggrin:Seriously, excellent work. And that Mata Nui drawing is amazing too. ^_^ (and I'm gonna take a stab and say art perhaps? :P) What media did you use for Mata Nui BTW? I can't tell for some reason. (I'm an art student, I should be able to do this! >.<)Astris Janus
Thanks, I used pastel pencils for the drawing, actually my first time ever using it :D

I'm impressed. This is really original, and a bit unusual, as all the best creations are. The matoran writing on the back is a nice touch, I almost wish there was more of it. I feel like the lines decorating the front are a bit arbitrary, but, eh, the whole design is arbitrary, so I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it. Do keep us updated on its contents, please. I'd very much like to see what it gets filled with.

I'm impressed. This is really original, and a bit unusual, as all the best creations are. The matoran writing on the back is a nice touch, I almost wish there was more of it. I feel like the lines decorating the front are a bit arbitrary, but, eh, the whole design is arbitrary, so I'm not sure there's anything to be done about it. Do keep us updated on its contents, please. I'd very much like to see what it gets filled with.
Thanks, yeah I just didn't know exactly what I wanted with the design. As for updating, depends. I'll for sure keep posting any bionicle related stuff that I will do. Actually..... http://www.majhost.c...ointdesign3.jpg
Sometimes I worry your work is under appreciated.Always nice to see art from you.
Meh I'm cool, I'd like to think that I'm doing pretty well given the current amount of activity on the forums now :P Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Decided to do a quick half-hour sketch of Onua Mistika. Not too happy with the design and the proportions at all. Doesn't help that I thought that Onua Mistika was the weirdest design for an Adaptive Toa EVER.http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/238/d/f/onua_mistika_by_crunchbitenuva-d5cklk6.jpgIt's re-designing characters like these that makes me miss the Flash Fire contest. Makes me think maybe the General Art forum should have stuff like those all the time. How do you guys feel about monthly challenges to draw a certain character? No prize or anything but if they could give numbers to our post count in the new forum system, that would be nice :P

That sounds like a cool idea. I had a lot of fun imagining my own entries, and it actually got me to finish some drawings (which I haven't done for a while). I'd be up for it!Anyways, I want that sketchbook! That's really cool and very well done. Did you print that design, or draw it? I looked through your post and didn't see the medium. I think I'll try to make one once I get some free time, although I'm kind of thinking of trying it with da Vinci-style Matoran lettering around it like a GB sketch. :)That Mata Nui drawing is very cool, and a nice imagining of Mata Nui. The style looks very cool and simplistic, yet complex, and shows a lot of familiar setlike detail.You're really beating yourself up too much about that Onua drawing. He's definitely a very strange looking Toa indeed, and yet your style makes him look awesome, and still setlike. That gun is just awesome! The torso and leg armor are also very nice with a great balance of simplicity and complexity, which shows off your style well. Great job, I really love your work!

That sounds like a cool idea. I had a lot of fun imagining my own entries, and it actually got me to finish some drawings (which I haven't done for a while). I'd be up for it!Anyways, I want that sketchbook! That's really cool and very well done. Did you print that design, or draw it? I looked through your post and didn't see the medium. I think I'll try to make one once I get some free time, although I'm kind of thinking of trying it with da Vinci-style Matoran lettering around it like a GB sketch. :)That Mata Nui drawing is very cool, and a nice imagining of Mata Nui. The style looks very cool and simplistic, yet complex, and shows a lot of familiar setlike detail.You're really beating yourself up too much about that Onua drawing. He's definitely a very strange looking Toa indeed, and yet your style makes him look awesome, and still setlike. That gun is just awesome! The torso and leg armor are also very nice with a great balance of simplicity and complexity, which shows off your style well. Great job, I really love your work!
Thanks for the comments! I printed out the cover which I designed in Adobe Illustrator. If you ever decide to make that sketchbook, I want pics! XD If I were to ever make another Bionicle sketchbook, I want to figure out how to print on leather XD