Official Naruto Discussion Topic

The Captain

Oh, man... I used to love this show. It really shows in my writing; many of my chars are influenced by Shikamaru, Itachi, Pein, and others. And I still love the setting and feel of the Chuunin Exams, and marvel at how Kishimoto turned many originally cliche and standardized chars into fan favorites and interesting people. However, IMHO, it got rotten around Shippuden when Sasuke summoned Manda on practically zero chakra and didn't have Orochimaru escape at the time, the Uchiha stole the spotlight, and it was basically a weapons race between Sasuke and Naruto with no other chars getting stronger and many greats (Deidara and Kakashi included) really weren't getting their share of epic. The series still had its epic moments, though-Shikamaru's planning, Jiraiya's death, Itachi's final fight. But the Pein Arc was the last one for me. I just couldn't take Kishimoto having Pein pull a giant plot device out of nowhere and resurrect everyone in the Leaf Village. I mean, the only people who really died in it who were even minor chars were Kakashi and Shizune. And, c'mon. Kakashi's job as Naruto's mentor had basically been fulfilled by then, and Shizune didn't ever really do much. TBH, I'd've loved to see the aftereffects of the trauma of having one's village destroyed and half the people in it killed on everyone. But the resurrection was really just a kind of Disney Death ending that blew my mind with its terrible deus ex machina. I could go on and on about this series' plot, but I think I'll stop right here for now. In short, I feel the original Naruto was pretty cool, and that although it was originally cliche, Kishimoto used the cliches in quite interesting ways and put life back into them. But between Shippuden and the original series, everything fell apart. However, I'm a great fan of both soundtracks. I love basically anything by Takanashi Yasuharu, especially how he took a more light-hearted and more childlike sountrack and turned it darker, and Toshio Masuda's feel is pretty cool and fitting as well. -The Fearless Leader

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

Oh, man... I used to love this show. It really shows in my writing; many of my chars are influenced by Shikamaru, Itachi, Pein, and others. And I still love the setting and feel of the Chuunin Exams, and marvel at how Kishimoto turned many originally cliche and standardized chars into fan favorites and interesting people. However, IMHO, it got rotten around Shippuden when Sasuke summoned Manda on practically zero chakra and didn't have Orochimaru escape at the time, the Uchiha stole the spotlight, and it was basically a weapons race between Sasuke and Naruto with no other chars getting stronger and many greats (Deidara and Kakashi included) really weren't getting their share of epic. The series still had its epic moments, though-Shikamaru's planning, Jiraiya's death, Itachi's final fight. But the Pein Arc was the last one for me. I just couldn't take Kishimoto having Pein pull a giant plot device out of nowhere and resurrect everyone in the Leaf Village. I mean, the only people who really died in it who were even minor chars were Kakashi and Shizune. And, c'mon. Kakashi's job as Naruto's mentor had basically been fulfilled by then, and Shizune didn't ever really do much. TBH, I'd've loved to see the aftereffects of the trauma of having one's village destroyed and half the people in it killed on everyone. But the resurrection was really just a kind of Disney Death ending that blew my mind with its terrible deus ex machina. I could go on and on about this series' plot, but I think I'll stop right here for now. In short, I feel the original Naruto was pretty cool, and that although it was originally cliche, Kishimoto used the cliches in quite interesting ways and put life back into them. But between Shippuden and the original series, everything fell apart. However, I'm a great fan of both soundtracks. I love basically anything by Takanashi Yasuharu, especially how he took a more light-hearted and more childlike sountrack and turned it darker, and Toshio Masuda's feel is pretty cool and fitting as well. -The Fearless Leader

I agree regarding the whole Manda-summon and Pain/Deus Ex Machina-no jutsu. However, lately, regarding the Fourth Great Ninja War, it has gotten really good. Still, some Kishi-trolling here and there, but for the most part, the series has taken a turn for the better. Although it is still a weapons race between Naruto and Sasuke, who are both extremely over-powered at this point for two 16-18 year olds.

For who have read the latest manga issue, what did you think of the Madara plot twist?