I have some questions about the Brotherhood of Makuta for the Memoirs of the Dead entry that I'm writing. 1) When did Teridax take over (how many years since the MU was created)?2) The Makuta were created as biomechanical beings from non-sentient liquid antidermis, and eventually reverted back to their original liquid form, correct?3) Were they created by Mata Nui, or the Great Beings?4) When Teridax presented his plan to the rest of the Brotherhood, what made them follow it? What was in it for them?5) When were they first assigned regions (how many years since the MU was created)?6) When did Spiriah leave (how many years since the MU was created)?7) When did they abandon their inner light?8) Why did they abandon their inner light?9) How did they abandon their inner light?10) Are the Makuta programmed like the Matoran? If they aren't, were they before they became antidermis?11) Do the Makuta directly control Kraata, Rahkshi, and wearers of Infected Kanohi, or are they just the Makuta's slaves?12) Did the Makuta create Rahi from Viruses and liquid protodermis, or energized protodermis?13) When the Makuta became antidermis, did the armor they wore at the time become antidermis too, or just their mechanical and organic parts?14) Are the pre-antidermis Makuta basically masses of Kraata with mechanical parts and armor?15) How big are Makuta before they start absorbing things?

I miss BIONICLE.

1. Teridax launched his assault during the time of the Great Cataclysm (1,300 Years before Restoration, that should be a Bionicle Year count :P), but the original Convocation was 79,100 B.R. The MU was created about 100,000 Plus years ago, so it had been around for like 21,000 years, give or take whatever "plus" means.2. I think Antidermis is actually a gas, but the rest is correct.3. Created by Mata Nui.4. Their survival. Those who hesitated were killed and their mask was nailed to the wall. Try refusing that. :P5. After Matoran Civil War, which was about the same time as the Convocation.6. 70,000-75,000 B.R., so 25,000-20,000 Years after creation, give or take.7. 40,000-30,000 B.R., so 60,000-70,000 A.C. (After creation)8. I have no idea, but it happened right after they evolved, so it probably had something to do with that.9. Meditation and lots of mental discipline.10. I don't think so, they were protectors of Mata Nui and the Matoran, so it seems like they would need to be sentient. Mata Nui also created them, so that should be after the sentience evolution.11. I don't think so, at least Kraata start at level one based on only instinct, so it seems they are not directly controlled, Rahkshi being the same, although they can be commanded. I think that Infected Kanohi users are mostly directly controlled though.12. Liquid Protodermis.13. No, their armor stayed metal, it was just their bodies that changed. Afterwards, they needed to modify their armor.14. No, not really. They were biomechanical like most other MU beings. To make a Kraata, they had to use lots of mental focus and extract it out of themselves somehow. Probably more like a duplicating reproduction thing, where it just grows out of them and separates.15. They shapeshift, so no idea there.If you want more info, I got all of this from BS01, either from the Makuta, Timeline of MU, Kraata, and Infected Kanohi pages. Probably should check there first before asking. ;)

I hope these help. I couldn't find the dates according to the reference point you requested, but I found them, nonetheless.1) 79,100 Before Teridax's Reign (BTR).2) Actually, they went from their physical forms to a mist-like antidermis, described on BS01 as pure energy. This is seen in The Mutran Chronicles and the Ignition comics.3) They were created by Mata Nui.4) The possibility of taking over the universe, and being able to be respected by the Matoran. They had become fed up with how Mata Nui was given credit for what they did.5) 79,500 years BTR.6) A little less than 70,000 years BTR.7) Sometime after they changed into pure energy.8) So as to go about taking over the universe more effectively and without their conciousness' keeping them from it.9) Perhaps this had something to do with their new condition, or with the shapeshifting abilities.10) No, and no; if you mean given a task to complete, then yes.11) I think that they are the Makuta's slaves, because they think for themselves in battle.12) Liquid Protodermis.13) No; their armour remained armour.14) No; it was implied that they have muscles and tissue when Icarax's body was transformed back into physical from by Toa Ignika and it stated that his body and organs were uncomfortable because his armour was not meant to hold a body with real muscles or organs.15) I think I read somewhere that they are 12-14 feet tall, but I don't know for sure.

I hope these help. I couldn't find the dates according to the reference point you requested, but I found them, nonetheless.1) 79,100 Before Teridax's Reign (BTR).2) Actually, they went from their physical forms to a mist-like antidermis, described on BS01 as pure energy. This is seen in The Mutran Chronicles and the Ignition comics.3) They were created by Mata Nui.4) The possibility of taking over the universe, and being able to be respected by the Matoran. They had become fed up with how Mata Nui was given credit for what they did.5) 79,500 years BTR.6) A little less than 70,000 years BTR.7) Sometime after they changed into pure energy.8) So as to go about taking over the universe more effectively and without their conciousness' keeping them from it.9) Perhaps this had something to do with their new condition, or with the shapeshifting abilities.10) No, and no; if you mean given a task to complete, then yes.11) I think that they are the Makuta's slaves, because they think for themselves in battle.12) Liquid Protodermis.13) No; their armour remained armour.14) No; it was implied that they have muscles and tissue when Icarax's body was transformed back into physical from by Toa Ignika and it stated that his body and organs were uncomfortable because his armour was not meant to hold a body with real muscles or organs.15) I think I read somewhere that they are 12-14 feet tall, but I don't know for sure.
1. Teridax launched his assault during the time of the Great Cataclysm (1,300 Years before Restoration, that should be a Bionicle Year count :P), but the original Convocation was 79,100 B.R. The MU was created about 100,000 Plus years ago, so it had been around for like 21,000 years, give or take whatever "plus" means.2. I think Antidermis is actually a gas, but the rest is correct.3. Created by Mata Nui.4. Their survival. Those who hesitated were killed and their mask was nailed to the wall. Try refusing that. :P5. After Matoran Civil War, which was about the same time as the Convocation.6. 70,000-75,000 B.R., so 25,000-20,000 Years after creation, give or take.7. 40,000-30,000 B.R., so 60,000-70,000 A.C. (After creation)8. I have no idea, but it happened right after they evolved, so it probably had something to do with that.9. Meditation and lots of mental discipline.10. I don't think so, they were protectors of Mata Nui and the Matoran, so it seems like they would need to be sentient. Mata Nui also created them, so that should be after the sentience evolution.11. I don't think so, at least Kraata start at level one based on only instinct, so it seems they are not directly controlled, Rahkshi being the same, although they can be commanded. I think that Infected Kanohi users are mostly directly controlled though.12. Liquid Protodermis.13. No, their armor stayed metal, it was just their bodies that changed. Afterwards, they needed to modify their armor.14. No, not really. They were biomechanical like most other MU beings. To make a Kraata, they had to use lots of mental focus and extract it out of themselves somehow. Probably more like a duplicating reproduction thing, where it just grows out of them and separates.15. They shapeshift, so no idea there.If you want more info, I got all of this from BS01, either from the Makuta, Timeline of MU, Kraata, and Infected Kanohi pages. Probably should check there first before asking. ;)
No!!! I had just posted when I figured out you had already answered! :begging:

fmstaticbanner1.jpg

1) 100,000 years. All the references I have place Mata Nui's expulsion from the bot and his wandering on BM at the 100,000 year mark. 2) No, the antidermis was sentient to begin with. As for whether the Makuta's "evolution" and turning into a gaseous state is them returning to their original forms, that is a very good question. But it makes sense that it would be the case. 3) The Makuta were created by Mata Nui. 4) Would you like to rule the universe? I'm sure they did. Also they wanted revenge on the Matoran for not respecting them and their creations, and Teridax's plan included that, at least on the surface. It's not like Teridax told them that he was going to kill them off and rule the universe by himself. 5) 20, 900 years (79,100 years ago)6) Click is correct. 7) I don't know. 8) To become stronger and get more power (Shadow Power).9) Click is correct. 10) Probably not. One, since they were made by Mata Nui, and Mata Nui isn't really a programmer, I doubt that he would program things into the Makuta. Also, the Makuta were made from a sapient substance already, so they were like us in the sense that they already had minds. When you hire someone for a job, you don't program them to do what you want. You tell them to do something, and maybe how to do it, and they do it. So Mata Nui told the Makuta to make Rahi, maybe told them a bit on how to do it, and they did it. 11) Wearers of infected Kanohi, yes. Rahkshi and Kraata could be controlled by a Makuta, but they weren't always, as demonstrated by the rogue Rahkshi under the archives and Teridax's Rahkshi army. Both of those weren't expressly controlled by a Makuta. However, the Rahkshi in the movie Mask of Life were expressly controlled by Teridax. 12) Liquid proto. 13) Just the mechanical and organic parts.

But I must stay on the subject. Bitil was making a point in his usual way, by throwing a weapon at the wall. He went to pick up an axe and found he couldn’t make his armor move. It was like all his muscles had turned to water. My amusement at his panic faded when I realized the same thing was happening to me.Chirox pulled away some of Kojol’s armor, only to see a greenish-black mist rising from inside the shell. Worried, Chirox caught a sample, then did a crude patch of the armor. After extensive tests, he returned to inform us of his results.
14) No, they had their own biomechanical form.15) No idea. Depends on what you are measuring him against in terms of size.

Others have come up with pretty good answers. But I'll my take on this (which mostly coincides with theirs), to the best of my knowledge, just in case some things haven't been explained enough:1) When did Teridax take over (how many years since the MU was created)?I thought it might have been 100,001 years, but it looks like Bionicle started (that is, the 2001 storyline occurred) 99,999 years after the creation of the MU and we're now at the 100,000 year. So that would be 100,000 years after, as others have said.2) The Makuta were created as biomechanical beings from non-sentient liquid antidermis, and eventually reverted back to their original liquid form, correct?Not quite. They were formed from liquid Antidermis (which is actually not an official name, I believe, but a term the Piraka invented), which seems seems to have some sort of consciousness, as seen when it possessed Brutaka. Their organic tissue (and the matter Kraata are made of) is solid, organic Antidermis, and when they evolved this organic tissue became gaseous Antidermis.3) Were they created by Mata Nui, or the Great Beings?Mata Nui, based on instructions given by the Great Beings. I'm not sure how detailed those instructions were, but the GBs did intend for Teridax to help reform Spherus Magna, so they must have had some idea. I don't know about this one way or the other, but it could have been the GBs that made the liquid antidermis and Mata Nui that sculpted the Makuta from it.4) When Teridax presented his plan to the rest of the Brotherhood, what made them follow it? What was in it for them?Others have said survival, which is a good reason, but it wouldn't have been dangerous to oppose the plan if it was unpopular. The majority joined because they felt as he did: jealous of Mata Nui and the Toa and hungry for power. As described in The Mutran Chronicles, eventually all the Makuta but Miserix stood by Teridax's side during the Convocation in which he took over, but the last group did it only out of self-preservation, and so Teridax still had them killed.5) When were they first assigned regions (how many years since the MU was created)?According to the BS01 timeline, it was '79100 years ago' which would make it 20900 years after the MU was made. This was a result of the Metru Nui Civil War, and happened right after the Brotherhood ended that war.6) When did Spiriah leave (how many years since the MU was created)?Again according to BS01, between 25000 and 30000 years after the MU was created (70000 - 75000 years before the present story).7) When did they abandon their inner light?I couldn't find an answer, but for some reason I'm pretty sure it was soon after Teridax took over the Brotherhood. If not then, soon after they became gaseous beings (which was several thousand years later, mind you).8) Why did they abandon their inner light?They could somehow become more evil that way. I guess it's a way of banishing their conscience, so they could carry out their plan without remorse.9) How did they abandon their inner light?As has been said, meditation and willpower. Maybe the knowledge of exactly how to do this wasn't common, but the Makuta would know or at least easily be able to find out.10) Are the Makuta programmed like the Matoran? If they aren't, were they before they became antidermis?I really don't know. But since Teridax was intented to become the next Great Spirit, I would guess the Makuta were meant to be as sentient as Mata Nui. Their formation from the pool of liquid antidermis gave them individual identities from a collective consciousness, and their transformation from organic to gaseous beings had no effect on their sentience.11) Do the Makuta directly control Kraata, Rahkshi, and wearers of Infected Kanohi, or are they just the Makuta's slaves?Wearers of infected Kanohi automatically obey the Makuta (though a strong will can resist this) seemingly without the Makuta needing to concentrate. Kraata and Rahkshi have wills of their own, but they seem to be inclined to obey Makuta. In the 2003 story, it was implied that Teridax's Kraata were still a part of him or linked to him somehow (like when Takanuva used them to guide his vehicle to Teridax's lair). But we know that Rahkshi left on their own, without a Makuta's guidance, will go feral, even going so far as to attack other Rahkshi.12) Did the Makuta create Rahi from Viruses and liquid protodermis, or energized protodermis?I believe generally liquid protodermis. They might have used Energized Protodermis for some experiments with viruses though. EP is a very specific thing, though, and liquid protodermis can either be the MU equivalent of water or many other liquids.13) When the Makuta became antidermis, did the armor they wore at the time become antidermis too, or just their mechanical and organic parts?Their armor was protosteel, and it didn't change on its own when they evolved into gaseous beings. However, they had it thickened because they no longer had to leave space for organs and muscles. The armor can shapeshift (which is a quality tied to the armor -- a Makuta that possesses a body that isn't made to shapeshift can't shapeshift) but it's not gaseous like their essence. Though they do have a Density Control power, which I guess would let them make their whole body gaslike.14) Are the pre-antidermis Makuta basically masses of Kraata with mechanical parts and armor?Well, no, their organic parts were like those of the other MU inhabitants: muscles, lungs, and perhaps other organs. But they were made of an organic form of antidermis, just as the Kraata were. So yes, it was the same substance as what made up Kraata. I remember asking Greg about this.15) How big are Makuta before they start absorbing things?I'm not sure if they have a default size or form. But judging from the Karda Nui sets, they seem to prefer to take forms that are about eight to ten feet tall.

Edited by The Iron Toa

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Thank you for your responses. I have four new questions:Did they have elemental Shadow control before abandoning their inner light? If so, what did they have in place of it? Elemental Light?When did they evolve into Antidermis?Which came first, abandoning their inner light or evolving into antidermis?What is this collective-conciseness antidermis of which you speak?Oh, and when I asked about Teridax taking over, I meant when did he take over the Brotherhood, not the universe.

Edited by Magnetic Vorahk
I miss BIONICLE.

I don't think they ever had Elemental Light powers. I believe they always had Shadow powers. Maybe these increased when they banished their inner light.They were always Antidermis of some form, but if you mean the gaseous essence, it was (according to BS01) 'somewhere between 30,000 and 40,000 years ago', that is, between 60,000 and 70,000 years after the MU was made. I'm not sure what the source of that date is, but if that's all BS01 has I'm afraid we don't have a more specific answer.As I said in my previous post, I don't know if they evolved first or banished their inner light. I'm pretty sure they banished their inner light first, but I'm not positive about that. Maybe someone else can answer that one for you.I was saying the liquid Antidermis from which the Makuta were made seems to have a collective consciousness. It also has knowledge the Makuta themselves forgot -- knowledge about the Shattering and the true purpose they have forsaken. Check out this line from Destiny War, Chapter 6:"I... we are the essence of the Makuta species. We know what they were meant to know, but have forgotten. We see the error. The flaws. So much to repair; but it cannot be done."To see it for yourself, read Destiny War, Dwellers in Darkness, and Rain of Shadows, particularly the parts that feature Brutaka.Again, according to the BS01 timeline, Teridax took over the Brotherhood soon after the Makuta were assigned to watch over specific regions. The same century, I would guess -- about 79,100 years ago, or 20,900 years after the Matoran Universe was created.Actually, here's a link to the handy timeline I've been referring to.

My Blog

My Story Collection

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Did they have elemental Shadow control before abandoning their inner light? If so, what did they have in place of it? Elemental Light?[...]Which came first, abandoning their inner light or evolving into antidermis?
Both of these questions are connected, so I'm answering them together.First, I don't believe that they ever had inner Light powers. The only Makuta that have Light powers are in the Melding Alternate Universe, not in the main one, which is the only dimension that you can use for the contest.Second,
After they made the decision to attack and usurp Mata Nui, they forced their light out, which was replaced completely by darkness.
That means that the banishment of inner light would have taken place after Teridax's Convocation. During the Convocation, Miserix used his shadow powers against Teridax, indicating that the Makuta had shadow powers before banishing their inner light:
Miserix, of course, saw this for what it was – a naked bid to take over leadership of the Brotherhood. His response was to rise from the head of the table, hurl a bolt of shadow energy from his gauntlet and blast Teridax halfway through the wall.
That's before the evolution into antidermis, which takes place in Mutran Chronicles Entry 7. So the Makuta banished their inner light before evolving into antidermis.I recommend checking out the Iron Toa's timeline. Also I recommend The Mutran Chronicles if you want to know more. :) (There is an official version of it on Bioniclestory.com, but that version is easier to read). This BS01 page may also be useful to you. But if you still have questions, ask! Edited by fishers64

1) When did Teridax take over (how many years since the MU was created)?2) The Makuta were created as biomechanical beings from non-sentient liquid antidermis, and eventually reverted back to their original liquid form, correct?3) Were they created by Mata Nui, or the Great Beings?4) When Teridax presented his plan to the rest of the Brotherhood, what made them follow it? What was in it for them?5) When were they first assigned regions (how many years since the MU was created)?6) When did Spiriah leave (how many years since the MU was created)?7) When did they abandon their inner light?8) Why did they abandon their inner light?9) How did they abandon their inner light?10) Are the Makuta programmed like the Matoran? If they aren't, were they before they became antidermis?11) Do the Makuta directly control Kraata, Rahkshi, and wearers of Infected Kanohi, or are they just the Makuta's slaves?12) Did the Makuta create Rahi from Viruses and liquid protodermis, or energized protodermis?13) When the Makuta became antidermis, did the armor they wore at the time become antidermis too, or just their mechanical and organic parts?14) Are the pre-antidermis Makuta basically masses of Kraata with mechanical parts and armor?15) How big are Makuta before they start absorbing things?
7-9I believe Greg said that the Makuta never had any light in them to begin with.13 No, in Shadows in the Sky Toa Ignika de-evolved Icarax and it said that organs an tissue grew. Plus could you imagine how gross it would be to be a mass of slugs in armor? Disgusting!

new_sig_legacy_2.png

7-9I believe Greg said that the Makuta never had any light in them to begin with.
No, they had inner light initially. It's just that later on, they made a collective decision to shun their inner light for some reason (I recall it having to do with becoming "stronger," but I'm not completely sure). They did so through a rigorous meditative process that I believe required them to focus on negative emotions. Roodaka also went through this process. Nevertheless, Shadow wasn't always associated with evil in the Matoran Universe. That correlation only came about after the Brotherhood's rebellion.However, I thought it was possible to shun your inner shadow. In fact, I was under the impression that this was exactly the case with the Melding Makuta, as Alt. Teridax said this: "A Makuta must be a being utterly without doubt, or fear, or any trace of shadow, so it takes long years of meditation before one is ready to assume the title."
In the 2003 story, it was implied that Teridax's Kraata were still a part of him or linked to him somehow (like when Takanuva used them to guide his vehicle to Teridax's lair).
This was brought up again during the final battle between Teridax and Mata Nui; Teridax could "feel" the death of his Rahkshi fleet when Tahu used the Golden Armor to incinerate them; this was actually pivotal in defeating Teridax, as it provided Mata Nui with just enough of an opportunity to exploit Teridax's distraction and push him into the oncoming Aqua Magna fragment. Edited by XyzTheDay!
coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |

No, they had inner light initially. It's just that later on, they made a collective decision to shun their inner light for some reason (I recall it having to do with becoming "stronger," but I'm not completely sure). They did so through a rigorous meditative process that I believe required them to focus on negative emotions. Roodaka also went through this process. Nevertheless, Shadow wasn't always associated with evil in the Matoran Universe. That correlation only came about after the Brotherhood's rebellion.
I think Roodaka didn't go through the whole process, but she learned to tap into what shadow power she had. But I'm not completely clear on that -- I think it's why her shadow was non-elemental, but maybe that's just because Vortixx don't normally get elemental powers. As for Shadow not being associated with evil, I remember asking about how that could be when embracing Shadow made the Makuta evil. I got an answer, but I don't remember what it was.
In the 2003 story, it was implied that Teridax's Kraata were still a part of him or linked to him somehow (like when Takanuva used them to guide his vehicle to Teridax's lair).
This was brought up again during the final battle between Teridax and Mata Nui; Teridax could "feel" the death of his Rahkshi fleet when Tahu used the Golden Armor to incinerate them; this was actually pivotal in defeating Teridax, as it provided Mata Nui with just enough of an opportunity to exploit Teridax's distraction and push him into the oncoming Aqua Magna fragment.
Oh, right. Forgot about that. So Rahkshi and Kraata have minds of their own, but they share a mental link with their creator.

My Blog

My Story Collection

Brickshelf Gallery

I think Roodaka didn't go through the whole process, but she learned to tap into what shadow power she had. But I'm not completely clear on that -- I think it's why her shadow was non-elemental, but maybe that's just because Vortixx don't normally get elemental powers. As for Shadow not being associated with evil, I remember asking about how that could be when embracing Shadow made the Makuta evil. I got an answer, but I don't remember what it was.
Actually I think you're right about Roodaka. From BS01: "With training and focus, especially on the associated emotions of anger and aggression, any being can develop limited Shadow powers, such as Roodaka." So her powers are limited and non-elemental (which I, too, would attribute to the lack of Elemental Powers in the Vortixx; the Makuta, from what I understand, had pre-existing Elemental Shadow powers, so their training probably just augmented those powers to a substantial degree.)Also from BS01: "In the Matoran Universe, Shadow was originally considered to have no moral connotations, being no more good or evil than any other Element. It became associated with evil after the Brotherhood of Makuta's corruption." Now, I'm not trying to disprove your idea about the banishment of their inner light being an underlying cause for their change in personality (though not all of them become evil, per se), I'm simply verifying my previous statement. Although personally, I do agree with your idea. :)
Oh, right. Forgot about that. So Rahkshi and Kraata have minds of their own, but they share a mental link with their creator.
Yeah, a "mental link." That's a good way to put it. Edited by XyzTheDay!
coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |