The Forerunners and the Great Beings: disturbing parallels.

Yes, this is something that's been buzzing in the back of my head for years; the disturbing similarities between the Great Beings from Bionicle, and the Forerunners from Halo.Let's do a rundown, shall we?1. They're both a species/group that are very much shrouded in mystery within their respective media.2. They both invented massive super-structures (Forerunner Shield Worlds, the Halo Array, the Great Spirit Robot, the Red Star) to cope with some sort of massive disaster (The Flood parasite, the Shattering)3. Both are immediately associated with inventors and scholars, and possess sort of a god-like status.4. They're often portrayed in clothing that obcsures their features, so we don't really know what they look like.5. Both created very advanced technology/nanotech that still functions after several tens of thousands of years (All the robots within the Halo rings, the Baterra)So, thoughts?

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

I can see those, but here are some more, regarding their "benevolence".-If I am correct, the GBs would try to do something benevolent, but if it screwed up then they did not seem to do much to fix it. Such as the Element Lords, who now still roam the planet with a very bad god-complex.-Since the comparison point for the Forerunners is a spoiler, it is listed in this.

Humans attacked one of the Forerunner colonies, the Forerunner's response was the destroy all of the human empire. I have also heard that the Forerunners did have traces of racism in them, and possible sociopathy to those who are not them, I heard it was like this at least before the Flood.

As for this thread, I like it, but wouldn't it belong in the halo thread?

Edited by Proud Stigma
  • Upvote 1

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

So, thoughts?
Not quite there with the superstructures, perhaps, but the Chozo from the Metroid series also fit the bill. They're inventors, future-seers, created advanced technology that has not yet been fully replicated, and apart from statues they haven't been shown in person.The Great Beings stand in line amongst the many species that a certain wiki label "Precursors". To quote:
Precursors --- Also known as "ancients." They are a standard fixture of much science fiction and fantasy: an ancient race whose culture and knowledge rose to its pinnacle in ages long past but which is now extinct or Ascended to a Higher Plane of Existence.
Forerunners (Halo), Protheans (Mass Effect), Chozo (Metroid), perhaps the Dwemer (Elder Scrolls), and more. So while yes, the Great Beings are like the Forerunners in many aspects, such species are not an entirely new idea in science-fiction.

Well, there are many works of fiction that have that archetype of the ancient, highly advanced species whose technology influenced later civilizations. There are:The Great Beings in BIONICLEThe Forerunners in HaloThe Protheans in Mass EffectThe Eridians in BorderlandsThose Who Came Before in Assassin's CreedThere are many others who fit that glove.

Edited by Magnetic Vorahk
I miss BIONICLE.

Well, there are many works of fiction that have that archetype of the ancient, highly advanced species whose technology influenced later civilizations. There are:The Great Beings in BIONICLEThe Forerunners in HaloThe Protheans in Mass EffectThe Eridians in BorderlandsThose Who Came Before in Assassin's CreedThere are many others who fit that glove.
Ancients, Stargate.Anywho, unfortunately this doesn't work as a topic in S&T, because under the list of prohibited topic types we find:
* No coincidence topics, such as "Makuta reminds me of the LOST Smoke Monster! Discuss!".
So I guess you could continue this inside a Halo topic... Although there's really not much to discuss; it's an archetype. :)Topic closed.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)