Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest

Velox

The Ambage-hosted Fortnightly Flash Fiction ContestWelcome, one and all, to the Ambage-hosted Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest! Be sure to read all of the Contest Rules and Important Information. With the success of the Flash Fiction Marathon, as well as the want of added perks for Ambage members, we bring you the Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest. These contests are hosted by the Ambage hosts. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Contest Rules and Important Information

• [*]
There will be a new contest every other week. The contests will alternate between Bionicle and COT (a topic will be made in COT when the first COT contest begins October 15th). [*]Each contest will last two weeks. The first week will be the entry period, the second week will be the judging period. [*]Every Bionicle contest will take place in this topic. Instead of creating a million topics, as this will be a recurring contest once a month (with a two-week COT contest in between), I will be updating this post with the current contest and make a post announcing the new contest each time. Remember, these will be once a month, so keep checking back (and participate in the COT ones, too!).[*]Each entry should be between 400-800 words. This is flash fiction. The absolute maximum word count is 1000 words.[*]Each contest will have a new theme. Keep checking back for the new contest's theme. [*]Bionicle entries may be human-Bionicle, if you wish. Just as long as they have some sort of relation to Bionicle. As usual, the story does not have to follow the canon storyline -- you may create your own characters, settings, etc., as long as in some way the story relates to Bionicle.[*]COT entries are not allowed to be Bionicle. That's what the Bionicle themes are for. And vice versa. Save your COT stories for the COT contests.[*]For each theme, contestants will have one week to enter. The next week will comprise of judging. The next two weeks after that will be a COT contest. Then another Bionicle contest and so forth.[*]Entries will be judged. All contests will have at least two judges. Judges will not enter. [*]You must post your stories in a topic. Unlike the Flash Fiction Marathon, you cannot just post your entries in this topic. Please make a topic for your stories. [*]All entries must adhere to BZPower's rules and guidelines. There shouldn't be any problem here.[*]Your story must be new and never before posted on BZP. You can certainly have been working on your entry before this, but it must be posted on BZP only after the start of the contest for it to be eligible.[*]Keep it PG-13-ish appropriate. So no gory descriptions, excessive violence, inappropriate content, et cetera.[*]You cannot edit your entry once the entry period has closed. Editing will be allowed until then. If editing is done after the deadline, your entry will be disqualified. [*]This contest is open to all BZP members. However, there are perks to being an Ambage member. See the Prizes section.[*]There will be prizes for each contest. Read the Prizes section for more.[*]Each contestant is allowed THREE entries for each theme. You may of course write more, but only three flash fiction stories can be entered into the contest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Current Theme:

OTC Contest

Any interpretation of the theme is valid, but your entry must be a Bionicle story and it must adhere to the rules posted above.

Previous Themes:

Theme #1: Red Star

Theme #2: Tablet of Transit

Theme #3: Broken Mask

|| Entry Lists ||

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PrizesThe winner of each contest will receive the following:

• [*]A custom member title for a month, stating "Bionicle/COT Writer of the Month" courtesy of Hahli Husky[*]A spotlight on the front page of BZPower at the end of the month, along with the COT contest winner.[*]For Ambage members only: A review by an Ambage judge.[*]For Ambage members only: A spotlight in the Ambage topic.

Feel free to post any questions here.Your hosts,Velox55555TolkienNuile

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

By "any interpretation of the theme is valid," does that mean I technically don't have to include the Red Star in my entry (if I enter this contest)? Like, could I have a red-colored being looking up at the stars, for instance, instead of the Red Star itself making an appearance or is that stretching the rules too much? -TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

A new Flash Fiction contest? My, this is exciting! I've been saying for ages that I need an excuse to write stuff. Of course, if I was better, then I'd find my own excuses to write. Still working on that part. Anyhow, huzzah for excuses! Let the writing commence! Cookies for all!**Each person is responsible for supplying their own cookies

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

By "any interpretation of the theme is valid," does that mean I technically don't have to include the Red Star in my entry (if I enter this contest)? Like, could I have a red-colored being looking up at the stars, for instance, instead of the Red Star itself making an appearance or is that stretching the rules too much?-TNTOS-
Technically, nope, you don't have to include the Red Star in your entry. It could be -the- Red Star, just a red star, a name/nickname for something else, or have a completely different meaning. So, yes, that would be fine. It might be -slightly- stretching the rules, but the point of the relatively-vague themes (this one is slightly more concrete than usual, but we figured we'd start out with something where new canon information was just revealed) is so that it will provide people with inspiration to write about a specific theme, and also will provide people with inspiration to be creative with it and use it in unique ways. So yes, I'll say that's fine, as long as, when the judges read it, the theme Red Star makes sense for your story. newso1.png

Just to clarify, can we put in multiple entries? I have two great ideas, one of which I just finished, and the other of which I would love to complete and enter... :lol:
Yes, that will be permitted. But we're limiting that at three entries per person. So by all means, if you have more than one idea, write up to three of them; or write all of them and pick three. As you wish. Just remember that no story posted before the start of each contest may be entered. It can have been written prior to the contest, but it must be new to BZP.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Edited by My Name is Nuile

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Thanks for the clarification, Nuile. I think I'll only end up with two entries, but you never know. :lol:

As you wish.
"Aaaaas... yooouuuu... wiiiiish"Sorry, couldn't resist putting a Westley in there somewhere.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I have one quick question about this rule:

Each entry should be between 400-800 words. This is flash fiction. The absolute maximum word count is 1000 words.
So according to this, our entries can have between 800 and 1,000 words, correct? (Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I just want to make sure.)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I have one quick question about this rule:
Each entry should be between 400-800 words. This is flash fiction. The absolute maximum word count is 1000 words.
So according to this, our entries can have between 800 and 1,000 words, correct? (Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I just want to make sure.)
Yes, your entry may have up to 1000 words but 800 is just preferred.

Congratulations to Lord Darkon and his short story Crimson, the winner of "Red Star"! Honorable mentions: Hue #1471 by Tolkien, and Snowfall by Chro.All of the stories were great, however, and I thank you all for entering! Don't forget to check out the COT contest!

Ah, one question- this has likely already been addressed and I'm overlooking it, but I'd like to know how these will be judged. Like, will it be a vote between the judges?
The two judges give their top two or three picks. Then the #1 pick of both judges is given to a third judge to be the "tie-breaker". The other #1 pick, and any story that both judges voted for, are honorable mentions. newso1.png Edited by Velox

Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to you all for entering. There were a lot of great stories and judging wasn't easy; and that's what I like to see!This time around though, in the first COT contest, I'll be entering. Why don't you join me? Let's give the judges an even harder time, what? ;D

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

• 2 weeks later...

Member name: ChroStory theme: Tablet of TransitWord count: 999Link to story: The Walker's Excursion Ah, finally, a better entry.Aaand... I messed up the title of its topic. Too bad.

Edited by Chro

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Oops, sorry, I forgot to edit it in the first post. The deadline for the contest is Monday, November 5th, at 11:59 PM PST. =] newso1.png

Edited by Velox

Member Name: TolkienTheme: Tablet of TransitWord Count: 997Link to Story: LoomingCutting it pretty close, I'd say.JRRT

Edited by Tolkien

• 2 weeks later...
Deadline: 11:59 PM PST on November, October 5th.
That's an interesting deadline. What day of October is November :P ?Anyway, congrats to the winners this time around. I really ought to enter this contest at some point. Maybe next time.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

• 4 weeks later...