Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest

Velox

The Ambage-hosted Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest

Welcome, one and all, to the Ambage-hosted Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest! Be sure to read all of the Contest Rules and Important Information. With the success of the Flash Fiction Marathon, as well as the want of added perks for Ambage members, we bring you the Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest. These contests are hosted by the Ambage hosts.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Contest Rules and Important Information

• [*]
There will be a new contest every other week. The contests will alternate between Bionicle and COT.[*]Each contest will last two weeks. The first week will be the entry period, the second week will be the judging period.[*]Every COT contest will take place in this topic. Instead of creating a million topics, as this will be a recurring contest once a month (with a two-week Bionicle contest in between), I will be updating this post with the current contest and make a post announcing the new contest each time. Remember, these will be once a month, so keep checking back (and participate in the Bionicle ones, too!).[*]Each entry should be between 400-800 words. This is flash fiction. The absolute maximum word count is 1000 words, there is no absolute minimum.[*]Each contest will have a new theme. Keep checking back for the new contest's theme.[*]COT entries are not allowed to be Bionicle. That's what the Bionicle themes are for. And vice versa. Save your COT stories for the COT contests.[*]For each theme, contestants will have one week to enter. The next week will comprise of judging. The next two weeks after that will be a Bionicle contest. Then another COT contest and so forth.[*]Entries will be judged. All contests will have at least two judges. Judges will not enter.[*]You must post your stories in a topic. Unlike the Flash Fiction Marathon, you cannot just post your entries in this topic. Please make a topic for your stories.[*]All entries must adhere to BZPower's rules and guidelines. There shouldn't be any problem here.[*]Your story must be new and never before posted on BZP. You can certainly have been working on your entry before this, but it must be posted on BZP onlyafter the start of the contest for it to be eligible. The exception is if you are a member of the Ambage and were given the theme before hand.[*]Keep it PG-13-ish appropriate. So no gory descriptions, excessive violence, inappropriate content, et cetera.[*]You cannot edit your entry once the entry period has closed. Editing will be allowed until then. If editing is done after the deadline, your entry will be disqualified.[*]This contest is open to all BZP members. However, there are perks to being an Ambage member. See the Prizes section.[*]There will be prizes for each contest. Read the Prizes section for more.[*]Each contestant is allowed THREE entries for each theme. You may of course write more, but only three flash fiction stories can be entered into the contest.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How To Enter:

There will be two main topics, one for COT (this topic), and one for Bionicle; make sure you post your entry in the right topic. If you are entering a Bionicle theme, post in the Bionicle topic.To enter, please use this form:Member Name: [your name goes here]Theme: [include what theme you are entering]Word Count: [insert the word count of your story here]Link to Story and Title: [provide a link to your story with the title as name]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Theme:

Theme #4:

christmas.jpg

Christmas

Any interpretation of the theme is valid, but your entry must be a COT story and it must adhere to the rules posted above. Also, if you are an Ambage member, keep in mind the December Writing Prompt (to get more achievements): "She had hair like a raven's wings--and a beak to match."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Themes Archive:

Theme #1

Theme #2

Theme #3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Prizes

The winner of each contest will receive the following:

• [*]A custom member title for a month, stating "Bionicle/COT Writer of the Month" courtesy of Hahli Husky[*]A spotlight on the front page of BZPower at the end of the month, along with the Bionicle contest winner.[*]For Ambage members only: A review by an Ambage judge.[*]For Ambage members only: A spotlight in the Ambage topic.

Feel free to post any questions here.Your hosts,Velox55555TolkienNuile

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I may have been opposed to the allowance of multiple entries, but not so starkly that I won't avail myself of it. Besides, it makes the contests more unique; not to mention more fun.Member Name: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithTheme: "Pathfinding"Word Count: 921 (epigraph included)Link to Story and Title: That Extra MileMember Name: Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithTheme: "Pathfinding"Word Count: 868Link to Story and Title: Rugged Explorers

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Edited by My Name is Nuile

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Theme #1: Pathfindingpathfinding.jpegDeadline: 11:59 PM PST on Monday, October 22nd.Any interpretation of the theme is valid (it does not need to be a literal path, or literal finding -- up to you), but your entry must be a COT story and it must adhere to the rules posted above. Also, if you are an Ambage member, keep in mind the October Writing Prompt (to get more achievements): Nighthawks, by Edward Hopper

Edited by Velox

I think the writers of BZPower are scared to face me. ;)Come on, guys; all you need is 400 words, or even less. Be creative and let your imagination find your path!

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

So I finally managed to finish my entry. Well, it would be more accurate to say that I finally managed to start my entry. The finishing merely proceeded from that. Either way, one week of little to no inspiration and a rushed afternoon's writing later, I have a story! With words and everything! It's even loosely inspired by real events! What more could anyone want?Member Name: Danska: Shadow MasterTheme: PathfindingWord Count: 922Link to Story and Title: A Jaunt in the Woods

Banner 2.png

Click on them to build them yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

Theme #2:

gravestonefffc.jpg

Gravestone

Deadline: 11:59 PM PST on Monday, November 19th.

Any interpretation of the theme is valid (it does not need to be a gravestone, or a single gravestone, etc. -- up to you), but your entry must be a COT story and it must adhere to the rules posted above. Also, if you are an Ambage member, keep in mind the November Writing Prompt (to get more achievements):

"The wind died suddenly, as if ashamed of its late ferocity and the damage it had wrought."

:kaukau: Really? I'm a little disappointed, but then I suppose it isn't quite fair that I should have three out of four of all the stories entered. Anyway, I wrote my third SS, although I'm not sure if I want to officialy submit it, since I might write another one completely focused on that last scene and do another interpretation. I wish luck and inspiration to all those who participate in the enxt two days.

Member Name: VeloxTheme: GravestoneWord Count: 817Link to Story and Title: GuiltWith the lack of entries, figured I'd go ahead and enter an old Write-Off entry. Still a few hours left to enter!newso1.png

Edited by Velox

• 2 weeks later...

Theme #3:

settlement.jpg

Settlement

Deadline: 11:59 PM PST on Monday, December 17th.

Any interpretation of the theme is valid, but your entry must be a COT story and it must adhere to the rules posted above. Also, if you are an Ambage member, keep in mind the December Writing Prompt (to get more achievements):

"She had hair like a raven's wings--and a beak to match."

Member Name: Alex Humva

Theme: Settlement

Word Count: 495

Entry: Newfound Land

Hmm, if only me and Chro enter, than means one of us is guaranteed second place. :P

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Congratulations to Tolkien and his short story Beyond the Ridge of Tears, the winner of "Settlement"! Honorable Mention: And Are We Only Human by Chro.

Also announcing the next contest!

Theme #4:

christmas.jpg

Christmas

Any interpretation of the theme is valid, but your entry must be a COT story and it must adhere to the rules posted above. Also, if you are an Ambage member, keep in mind the December Writing Prompt (to get more achievements): "She had hair like a raven's wings--and a beak to match."

Deadline: 11:59 PM PST on Monday, December 31st.

Name - Aderia

Theme - Christmas

Word Count - Classified

Entry - Holiday Cheer

=)

Edited by Aderia

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

So there's this.

Member Name: Alex HumvaTheme: ChristmasWord Count: <1000Link to Story and Title: Somewhere

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Member Name: Peach 00

Theme: Christmas

Word Count: 988 words

Link to Story and Title: http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=8211]Winter Years[/url]

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Well, the deadline was just yesterday, but thanks to the awesome speed of Tolkien and 55555, we've got our results already -- and for the first time in contest history, the judges have agreed completely on the order, without need of a tie-breaker. So, without further ado...

First Place: "Holiday Cheer", by Aderia

With Peach's "Winter Years" and Alex Humva's "Somewhere" coming in second and third place, respectively.

Congratulations to Aderia and the honorable mentions!! Thanks for entering, guys. =] We will most-likely be having a Bionicle contest next, starting next Monday, but I'll have to talk to HH first to make sure the Ninjago contest is wrapped up. Seeya then! We'll be back for a COT contest after that.

newso1.png

• 2 months later...

Theme #5:

tree_picture.png

Branching Out

Deadline: 11:59 PM PST on Monday, March 11th.

Any interpretation of the theme is valid, but your entry must be a COT story and it must adhere to the rules posted above. Also, if you are an Ambage member, keep in mind the March Writing Prompt (to get more achievements):"A faint glimmer . . ."

Edited by Nuile: The Wiseguy