Is concept art canon?

Yes, only the stuff that has been officially stated either via a comic, a book, a serial or a question/answer session with Greg should be considered confirmed canon. In some cases a few things have even been retconned, or taken out of canon due to some later agreement on the story team nullifying the previous scenario.

Concept art is inherently preliminary. As such, it only becomes canon if it finds its way into finalized media or is declared canon by the creators. If it doesn't, it can't be considered canon-- otherwise, the BIONICLE storyline would contradict itself dozens of times over, since it's rare that everything ends up happening or appearing exactly as it does in concept art or preliminary story briefs.

Right. Like those seed pods are non-canon, as they were changed into cylindrical canisters. But I don't see why the images of Metru Nui that were drawn just as the city was depicted in the movies wouldn't be canon.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Concept art is inherently preliminary. As such, it only becomes canon if it finds its way into finalized media or is declared canon by the creators. If it doesn't, it can't be considered canon-- otherwise, the BIONICLE storyline would contradict itself dozens of times over, since it's rare that everything ends up happening or appearing exactly as it does in concept art or preliminary story briefs.
Right. Like those seed pods are non-canon, as they were changed into cylindrical canisters. But I don't see why the images of Metru Nui that were drawn just as the city was depicted in the movies wouldn't be canon.
Both of these answers are correct. Basically, use your common sense -- if something is just another view or an uncolored sketch of a confirmed-canon appearance, then it's canon or nearly canon. Otherwise no. :)If you're unfamiliar with what appearances are and are not canon, then no one topic can cover it all; it'd be best to watch/read the story sources, review BS01, etc. In general, anything labelled "concept" is not canon.And that answers the question, so the topic will now be closed. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)