Map of Yrenta

The Iron Toa

I finally made a map of the main region I made up for my fan fiction. Well, I made a crude sketch on paper years ago, when I first had the idea, but that work is long lost. For this, I used Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9. I used a downloaded Matoran font for the labels. The texture effect is supposed to make it look like painted stone. Some of my stories were written long ago, and I skimmed over them to make sure the map was accurate, so hopefully it fits. This is the way Yrenta looks for most of its history (some things change later). I hope the meanings of the different colors and symbols are easy enough to figure out.

So here it is, on my Brickshelf:

Full-sized map (5000 x 3750)

Since that's quite big, I also uploaded a smaller version:

Small map (1250 x 938)

If you read my stories and see any inconsistencies, or just have any comments or suggestions on how to make the map better, let me know.

Edit: I made the desert and the jungle a little bigger and added hills south of the jungle to fit with the story, and slightly improved the wasteland symbols. Also, this time the smaller version of the map is a quarter the size of the original instead of a tenth.

Edit 2: Fixed that 'Yrenttta River' mistake. Thanks for catching it, Maganar.

Edited by The Iron Toa

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

The one thing that occurs to me right of the back is to make the ocean the same color as the river; other than the graphic design is pretty neat for and sells the feel of a Matoran map. At first, I had a serious issue figuring out what that strip of color at the bottom was until I realized the river flowed directly into it. Translating the Matoran labels also made it pretty obvious what that was supposed to be. ("OCEAN" - straightforward enough!) For a moment I felt like saying the coastline looked a little too regular, but all images of the Northern Continent indicate it is really straight along its southern shore witht he exclusion of the Tren Krom Peninsula jutting out on the southeast.

Some of the geographic features are placed a little oddly. I feel like I would have had the jungle span across to both sides of the river. A river should support rampant vegetative growth and it seems to be acting as a border for it in this case. It also seems unusual to have the river's source up by the northern edge of the desert! It would make more sense if it wound off in the direction of the ice village. A meltwater spring starting a river - logical. A river miraculously springing up out of an parched area with a depressed water table and then crossing an arid region without drying out - a little less so.

As for how the orientation fits the plot of the epics, that's pretty good. I just get a kind of funny feeling because the villages with critical roles in the original Tale of Yrenta seem to form a right angle stretching from Volcano Tatakoa east to the desert and then south along the river. A little odd, but it everything fits the plot... as least as well as I can remember.

One other thing though: Is it just me, or does that river's label translate out of Matoran as "River Yrenttta?" :o I'm very familiar with the Northern Continent region known as Yrenta, but I don't suppose that's related in any way...

Of course, most of the above complaints assume that Yrenta obeys normal scientific parameters and that it has a naturally created geography/ecology. Bionicle science has been altered from real world science as GregF has seen fit on endless occassions and the whole MU was engineered rather than naturally developped. Regardless, it seems to me that the geography and ecology would start to obey natural rules after millenia hae passed since that original act of engineering.

Well, it works for the epics. That'll do for me even if some things are a bit odd. But I'm still trying to figure out where Yrenttta is.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. I liked those "skull-and-crossbones" symbols in the wasteland north of Mount Tasle. And I almost died laughing looking at the compass. That was awesome. In all honesty, that is exactly what north/west/south/east mean to the MU inhabintants - in which part of the Mata Nui robot it is situated.

Edited by Maganar

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

The one thing that occurs to me right of the back is to make the ocean the same color as the river; other than the graphic design is pretty neat for and sells the feel of a Matoran map. At first, I had a serious issue figuring out what that strip of color at the bottom was until I realized the river flowed directly into it. Translating the Matoran labels also made it pretty obvious what that was supposed to be. ("OCEAN" - straightforward enough!)

-----

Well, protodermic seawater is silver. I made the river more blue to mark it as freshwater.

Some of the geographic features are placed a little oddly. I feel like I would have had the jungle span across to both sides of the river. A river should support rampant vegetative growth and it seems to be acting as a border for it in this case. It also seems unusual to have the river's source up by the northern edge of the desert! It would make more sense if it wound off in the direction of the ice village. A meltwater spring starting a river - logical. A river miraculously springing up out of an parched area with a depressed water table and then crossing an arid region without drying out - a little less so.

-----

Yeah, when I made this region up years ago, I really wasn't thinking in realistic geologic terms! At the beginning, I wasn't even sure if the river was going to flow into or out of the ocean (then I realized it would probably be a seawater river if it flowed out of the ocean, which would be weird). There isn't really an excuse as to why the jungle doesn't grow on both sides, other than the fact that that's the way I made it on my story. Poor soil on the western side, maybe? As for the river, it's supposed to start in the bottom of a canyon next to the desert, not in the desert, and it's fed by underground springs (that maybe could somehow be linked to meltwater from the mountains). Later in the story, I mention that a major spring dries up, causing the river to start further down the canyon. So yeah, basically the story came first, so it follows the story, no matter how little that makes sense geologically.

As for how the orientation fits the plot of the epics, that's pretty good. I just get a kind of funny feeling because the villages with critical roles in the original Tale of Yrenta seem to form a right angle stretching from Volcano Tatakoa east to the desert and then south along the river. A little odd, but it everything fits the plot... as least as well as I can remember.

-----

Right, the Matoran of Yrenta mainly live along the mountain range and along the river. The De-Matoran live many kio away from everyone else, in the plains, where it's quiet. They feature more in Fate of Yrenta, though.

One other thing though: Is it just me, or does that river's label translate out of Matoran as "River Yrenttta?" :o I'm very familiar with the Northern Continent region known as Yrenta, but I don't suppose that's related in any way...

-----

That's a typo. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I was moving the letters to form vertical text. I'll fix that.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. I liked those "skull-and-crossbones" symbols in the wasteland north of Mount Tasle. And I almost died laughing looking at the compass. That was awesome. In all honesty, that is exactly what north/west/south/east mean to the MU inhabintants - in which part of the Mata Nui robot it is situated.

-----

I'm glad you like the skull and crossbones. As for the compass, of course, the inhabitants don't know they're in a robot, but I thought it might be appropriate anyway seeing as that Great Spirit symbol shows up in other places. If it's too blatant about the true nature of their universe, I'll change it.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

The one thing that occurs to me right of the back is to make the ocean the same color as the river; other than the graphic design is pretty neat for and sells the feel of a Matoran map. At first, I had a serious issue figuring out what that strip of color at the bottom was until I realized the river flowed directly into it. Translating the Matoran labels also made it pretty obvious what that was supposed to be. ("OCEAN" - straightforward enough!)

-----

Well, protodermic seawater is silver. I made the river more blue to mark it as freshwater.

-----

I'm glad you like the skull and crossbones. As for the compass, of course, the inhabitants don't know they're in a robot, but I thought it might be appropriate anyway seeing as that Great Spirit symbol shows up in other places. If it's too blatant about the true nature of their universe, I'll change it.

I knew you were going to say that about the protodermic seawater. I knew it! But that doesn't change how I feel about it. Regardless, I failed to mention my prediction on what you would say simply because there isn't really anything I can say against that: it is silver. End of story. I forfeit... reluctantly.

I assumed Yrenttta was a typo, but it was just too much fun to nag you over it!

Compass isn't too blatant about the MU, I was just saying that I liked the way you have it set up with the amusing juxtaposition of Matoran tradition with the established facts only us readers are aware of.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.