Photorealistic Mata Nui Landscape

William Falcon

Well, it has been something like four or five years since I've posted anything (artwork-related or otherwise) on BZPower. But I just created something very cool and I feel the need to share it with some people who will have an especial appreciation for it. As you probably know, a marvelous fellow called Christian Faber recently started a blog where he shared, among other things, the official grayscale height maps used for the creation of Mata Nui and Metru Nui. Creating a 3d model of Mata Nui is something that I've toyed with, off and on, for eight years...in fact, back in 2004, I made a post of my first attempt, the height-map for which was created using a highly-'shopped modification of the classic Mata Nui map.

Anyway, after messing around with the official height-map, and trying to think of ways to create a more photorealistic version of the Mata Nui map, I decided to take a screenshot of the modeled landscape and superimpose real, photographed imagery over it, to create a convincing picture of the island from at least one perspective. Not sure if anyone has attempted this before, but if so, well, here's my interpretation;

First, the original render. You are looking north from the tip of Le-Wahi, towards the Mangai Volcano and the Ko-Wahi mountains:

matanuioriginallandscaperender.jpg

And the realistic version:

matanuirealistic.jpg

Just for good measure...

matanuilabels.jpg

I added some atmospheric haze (derived from a depth map of the 3d model) to complete the illusion of enormity and distance. This makes some of the more distant mountains slightly tricky to see. Likewise, only if you look very closely can you see the smoke rising from the mouth of the Mangai. The aquamarine details in the ocean come from the Faber Files map.

I hope you enjoy :)

• Upvote 3

Wow, that is really awesome. I especially like how you did the coastlines, what with the cliffs and beaches. For the most part, I think this could easily pass as a real photo of some island! (The snow covered mountains in the back are a little unrealistic, because you wouldn't have that much snow that low on a tropic island, but the climates on Mata Nui were like that to begin with. :)

:music:

Edited by xccj

Well, my cranium just exploded. This is the best fan art for bionicle that I've seen EVER. Seriously. Is it possible you could make more of these for us? That would be awesome.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Very impressive. I noticed, though, that one mountain peak (directly above Le-Kini) seems unrealistically clear compared to the surrounding area. I would recommend double-checking there to be sure you blurred it properly.Beyond that, great job! The title does indeed fit this piece, it's a nice, photorealistic fan work.

EDIT: I just realized this, but the nearest island to us looks unrealistically smooth. It might be better to add some rocky texture to it, similar to the textures you used on the mountains. The southernmost part of the Le-Wahi beach looks a tad smooth as well - perhaps you could try to increase the "bumpiness" of the forest textures there, so to speak?

Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

I was just skimming down and looking at the pictures, and thought that the second picture was a real picture of a real island that Mata Nui was based on. Then I read the description. And read it again.

That is amazing. Simply amazing. It seriously looks like a real picture.

Well, my cranium just exploded.This is the best fan art for bionicle that I've seen EVER. Seriously. Is it possible you could make more of these for us? That would be awesome.

Yes, more pictures would be very welcome indeed.

Edited by Kopekemaster
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I just realized this, but the nearest island to us looks unrealistically smooth. It might be better to add some rocky texture to it, similar to the textures you used on the mountains. The southernmost part of the Le-Wahi beach looks a tad smooth as well - perhaps you could try to increase the "bumpiness" of the forest textures there, so to speak?

The reason behind the smoothness of that particular island comes down to a matter of scale and not being able to decide exactly how big I wanted the island to appear...see, the actual official size of Mata Nui, is, well, really darn big. Initially, I wanted to represent that by making one the islets (which I added rather early in the creation of the image) a rather large-sized island itself. But, as the image progressed, it became clear to me that finding imagery to represent that scale for the whole of the scene was going to be very hard. I suppose I could have used satellite images for the jungle, but somehow I don't really think it would look as nice as aerial photographs of rainforests, which is what I primarily used. To make a long story short, I scaled the island down a bit in most areas, but that little islet remains the same. You are absolutely right though: aesthetically, the islet should be texturally rougher and I plan to add some cliffs and rocks around its edges. Same goes with the jungle: some crags, hills and cliffs are perhaps called for...

Edited by William Falcon

• 2 weeks later...

Being from Hawaii, I don't think the coast should've been that green - it should've looked a little more sandy at the edges to look more realistic for an island. But, other than that, this is great work, the mountains look very correct and it's cool to see Mata Nui more realistically. :D

Edited by Tenebrae Invictus

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that is beautiful! You really made the shot of Mata Nui shown in the original render really look like a color photograph. I love the texture of the ocean, the colors of the sky, and how the island vegetation really seems lush and fertile, completely living. Your versions of the Mangai volcano and the distant Ko-Wahi are also breathtakingly realistic.I really can't find anything negative to point out about your picture, as it is so incredibly well done. But I will recommend that if you can find other aerial renders of Mata Nui showing different parts of it, such as Kini Nui or Ta, Po, or Onu-Wahi, your technique might also work to create stunning realistic shots of those areas as well.~B~

Edited by Ballom

Absolutely amazing. This brings back all of my old memories from 2001. Great job!

-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

This is realy cool. Would you consider doing one of Metru-Nui?

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all." Tahu

"Deceit and self-interest will never be virtues the Matoran will honor!"-Vakama

"Fear is the state of mind in which we will cause our own failures."-Me

" You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."- Harvey Dent

*whistles* Wow... That's awesome. When I saw the picture in the news, I thought it was an actual island. When I got to the topic, though, I read the introduction before I saw the pictures. But even then, it "almost" passes for a real island.But in your list of landmarks, didn't you leave out Ta-Koro? Unless I'm mistaken, the little string of volcanoes/mountains just east of the Mangai, which you do have in there, is where it's located. Come to think of it, though, Le-Koro might be in there somewhere, too, although not all of Le-Wahi is visible from this angle.

Incredible! May I ask what 3D software you used to render/texture this?

I'd like to know that, too.

After five long years. . . The Master of Fire is back!

Whoa, that's brilliant! It looks quite realistic (and absolutely gorgeous), just looking at the mist in the distance, the jagged mountains, the green trees and the blue water, even those little rocks jutting from the water...makes me wish I could actually go there (not to mention how awesome it would be to hike up the Mangai Volcano).

=)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Haha. I initially thought that the original render was supposed to be "photo-realistic", and I laughed.Then I saw the actual thing and my mind was blown. 3D art will forever blow me away.

You should make show the model in different angles. That would be amazing.

Majhost sucks

That is quite impressive! I'd love to see it from other angles (or if possible, in some format that allowed you to rotate it freely). Any ideas what you'll follow this up with? It'd be interesting to see other islands, like Voya Nui.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Impressive. I especially love the shading used to create the oceanic part, but the rest remains awesome indeed.

Seeing other parts of Mata Nui or, perhaps, of other islands would be great, but, considering how much work must flow into this kind of works, I'm not gonna ask to see some more pictures. Though, it would be fantastic. ;)

Wow, I really like how this looks. Some of the mountains in the background look a little too bright for my liking, but that's only a minor complaint. I would love to see more artwork like this in the future. :)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I haven't seen you on-site in forever, so it's good to see you on the board again, especially with something this fantastic. I know absolutely nothing about 3D modeling, but I'd imagine that it was no small feat to make it as realistically as we see it, especially given the comparison of original and final render. I can't think of what CGI wizardry went into it, but the final product is extremely pleasing to the eye. It really makes me feel nostalgic. I suppose that my only criticism is that I don't see much of an existing shoreline, but I suppose that the overhead view of Mata-Nui has green right up to the ocean. Nice to see you around!

matanuinuvabanner.gif