Welcoming Cousin Spitfire

Aanchir

8316290092_fcbcdf37fa_z.jpg

Spitfire was surprised when her invitation to the family's annual reunion gave a location other than the family's ancestral home of Ignacia. Flying to the destination coordinates provided in the invitation, she was surprised to find her cousins Kai and Nya waiting for her aboard a magnificent airship, along with Nya's new boyfriend Jay and the other friends they had made on their adventures.My entry for a certain pony blog's Artist Training Grounds - Family Reunion Edition, which ended yesterday. I actually began to put together the ideas for this artwork during the previous week's Artist Training Grounds, during which I learned that Spitfire from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic shares a voice actress with Nya from LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu. I had previously drawn pony versions of the Ninja and Nya quite a while ago (don't post there, topic is dead), but this gave me an excuse just contrived enough to draw them again (Nya and Spitfire both have stylized phoenix cutie marks! =D ). While I couldn't find a funny/heartwarming way to express the idea of the two being related that week, this week's "family reunion" prompts were too good to pass up.Most of this was drawn on the road from my Nana's house in North Carolina back to my house in Virginia, so the lineart is very sketchy, and the Destiny's Bounty is probably horribly off-model. The idea of Kai, Nya, and Spitfire reuniting aboard the Destiny's Bounty in this way was probably also too ambitious for me to really do well in just one day. But the important thing is that I'm trying to get in the habit of drawing ponies more often. I'll probably never have the skill of pony artists like Jiayi, but hopefully one day I'll have at least enough skill to get on this pony blog's "Drawfriend" from time to time.