BZPower and LUGs

Black Six

Please read the topic before responding to this poll  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BZPower is an online community. For many years though, BZPower has been involved in large LEGO fan conventions such as BrickFair. Having a physical representation such as that makes us similar in many ways to a LEGO User Group (or LUG). We discuss all things LEGO, collaborate at events, have contests, etc. We just do a lot of it online. So why not make it official?I'm here to find out if you're interested in participating in such a group. To understand what we're talking about, read the questions below.Why are you deciding to do this all of the sudden?One of the perks of events such as BrickFair in the past has been discounts on products at LEGO stores. Starting this year, LEGO is no longer offering such discounts but is starting a new discount program for LUGs. Online communities are not included in this. Creating a BZPower LUG would allow members who previously enjoyed such discounts as well as members who were never able to participate to get some good deals on LEGO.What are the perks of being part of a LUG?From the official LEGO support perspective, you would be able to get 15% off at LEGO Brand Retail stores four days a year (as defined by LEGO). The LUG would also be able to receive free sets from LEGO that could be used in giveaways or as prizes in contests. There's additional support available, but I think those are the two big things.From the BZP side, we are still in the early planning stages. One idea so far is a custom-engraved brick for the LUG, but we'll see how things go.What do I have to do to join?We're still working on those details as well, but wanted to gauge interest from you guys. There will definitely be restrictions on entry, such as attending or sending MOCs to at least one fan convention a year. There may also be an annual fee to cover the costs of shipping perks and the sticker required to obtain the 15% discount. Once we hear from you guys, we'll have a better understanding of the limits and fees involved.Please give us your feedback so we know how to best move forward with this idea. Thanks!

While the opportunity to join a BZP LUG would be a great idea, I honestly think I'll probably join SEALUG first, just because it's a bigger group and any perks here wouldn't necessarily extend to BrickCon, I don't think. Even if it did, again I'd probably go through SEALUG.However, I support the idea of starting one for us BZP users, if only to help send a message to the AFOLs that we're still a large community, even if our first product is long gone.

bzpsig2015.png

1. I really don't have any interest in joining a LUG. I don't buy Lego sets anymore, so I don't think it would be helpful to me.

2. If BZP was associated with one though, I might consider joining depending on what perks were included in it besides the 15% off sets at Lego stores and free sets.

3. As of right now, I probably wouldn't spend any money to join a LUG.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Will LEGO give the LUG real LEGO sets such as Bionicle and Adventures or only fake sets like Hero Factory and Ninjago?

I suppose lego can only give us sets which are still in production, and, what's wrong with Ninjago?

The sets LEGO would give us would be new sets currently in production. They would be very real.

Will LEGO give the LUG real LEGO sets such as Bionicle and Adventures or only fake sets like Hero Factory and Ninjago?
What is this I don't even.Anyway, I voted, "No, but I'm interested in joining one", "Yes", and "$5-$10". Though to be honest, I might pay more or less depending on what sort of community is being offered. A BZPower LUG might not be as enticing as a more regional LUG if we only ever meet at Brickfair, but then again I've never been able to find a regional LUG that I felt able to devote the time to or attend meetings with regularly.

Without a driver's license (yet), it would be hard for me to go to meetings or anything- and it would be really difficult to let all the people who want to participate do so, since, after all, we're all over the world. If the LUG wasn't regular-meeting dependent, though, I would love to join. If sending a MOC into a convention is all that's required it would be fantastic.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

I'd definitely join a BZPower LUG, but it depends on how I'd have to pay (assuming we do have to pay).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Without a driver's license (yet), it would be hard for me to go to meetings or anything- and it would be really difficult to let all the people who want to participate do so, since, after all, we're all over the world. If the LUG wasn't regular-meeting dependent, though, I would love to join. If sending a MOC into a convention is all that's required it would be fantastic.
We would probably not be having in person meetings, except at large conventions. Maybe there would be smaller get-togethers of local members, if they were so inclined, but it would not be mandatory.

I'd definitely join a BZPower LUG, but it depends on how I'd have to pay (assuming we do have to pay).

Following up on this. I would definitely pay, but would it be through the BZPower store feature? Also I think it would be really cool if we got an icon under the proto bar, year spinny, and rank mask icons saying we're a member of the BZPower LUG.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

There are certain requirements a LUG needs to meet to participate in LUGBulk. Between that and the organizational nightmare, it probably wouldn't be something we'd do for a while.

Boo. But understandable. Apparently it's difficult to organize the LUGBulk for local LUGs, and that's with everyone in a similar city, let alone potentially multiple countries.

1: No, but I'm interested in joining a LUG. I've actually considered finding one in the Boston area (where I go to college), but my options are slightly limited by my lack of a driver's license.

2: Yes, seeing as an online-based LUG would be easier for me to manage due to the aforementioned reason.

3: More than $10; however, how much I'm willing to pay is partly dependent on how billing is done. I would be totally willing to pay whatever it takes if it's a one-time fee, but if it's an annual fee $10 might be the most I'd be willing to spend per year. Much more than that and it'd start to negate the value of the perks of membership.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother