Uber Short Mnog style game test

BrandonB9

Seeing Tazakk's Kapurra animation inspired me to look at MNOG style animation again, this is the first of my efforts, a simple test to try and recreate some the MNOG style as well as another technique I wanted to try out. Though a warning, it is really short and pretty pointless as my knowledge of actionscript is still very basic but I hope to go on to do more advanced things. Anyhow here's the link:

http://www.fastswf.com/n5YurCU

Things I want to learn how to do and add in the future:

Parallax

Turning around

talking to characters

All sounds and shapes belong to Templar and/or Bionicle, no copyright infringement intended.

Thanks for looking, feedback greatly appreciated.

And if anyone has knowledge of actionscript 3.0 I'd love to hear from you.

This is pretty cool, to tell you the truth you can actually code all this in jQuery also! You should look into it! It would be nice to have like a MNOG for the time during the Bohrok since all that was just cinematic during that time.

Lehvorak

<< LEHVORAK ZONE >>

Web Design - Graphic Design - Illustration

Find out more on:

_

DeviantART_logo.png

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome job BrandonB9,

How long have you been using Flash? because if you just started that's quite impressive!

I don't know how long it took me before I could even get simple keyboard inputs...

I agree with TNT-Vezon that the light-stone should be behind the Chroniclers hand, or just bigger and rotated so that it looks like he's holding it.

I like how you started with a Game-engine approach where you can actually click, move and interact.

However I warn you, it took me several months before I finally got a working copy of the original game engine,

so if you are planning on going further down this road, remember to stick with it! ;)

What are your plans for your next flash animation/game?

boxor_10.jpg

MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

~Fan-Made Game~

Thanks Nuparu77! I messed around with flash awhile back, but just recently picked it up again. So I have some experience but I'm still pretty new. I also agree with the lightstone thing so I'll make sure to keep that in mind for future projects. At the game-engine thing, are you saying you have figured out how to make MNOG style games? If so I'd love to see any work you have done. :) As for my future projects, I want to try working in the parallax and side to side movements MNOG implements, but I'm waiting till I get flash CS6 (Which I hope to get very soon) before trying at it again, as I'm only working with Flash Cs3 currently and couldn't seem to find a way to do it that worked.

Let me know what you think of Flash CS6, or even CS3 for that matter, I'm still working in Flash MX 2004. Maybe I should find a trial or something to compare...

I've been working on a continuation game for the Bohrok swarms arc, planning on releasing it chapter by chapter just like Templar Studios did for the original game.

I started this project back in late 2010... so just over two and a half years ago, with no knowledge of flash whatsoever.

As I said before, the Background stuff is what kills ya (Game Engine, Drag-Drop system, Backpack, Save/Load, etc..) because you have to get that out of the way before you can actually work on the fun stuff like animations and mini-games. ^_^

Anyways the second chapter is currently in production, Google "Fan Made MNOLG 1 Sequel" if you're interested in playing the first chapter.

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Wow, that was amazing, that is what I hope to be able to do one day. BTW I can't wait for the next chapter! So I'm assuming based on your older flash program, and integration of certain MNOG aspects that you're using earlier than Actionscript 3.0? I've been tempted to do so as it would make converting parts from MNOG over easier, but 3.0 can do more I hear. What would you suggest? Also why haven't I seen your fan made game posted on BZ? Have I just missed it?

Nice work! I was particularly impressed by how the lightstone cast light about itself at the end. Like others have already said, the lightstone in Takua's hand did seem to need a little adjustment. Beyond that, this is a nice test.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

you're using earlier than Actionscript 3.0? I've been tempted to do so as it would make converting parts from MNOG over easier, but 3.0 can do more I hear. What would you suggest?

Yeah, it would take a long time to convert all of the content from the original game over to Actionscript 3.0 That is why I limited myself to using 1.0 If your planning on designing a game from scratch I would definitely use up to date Actionscript, because it is a lot more powerful and you can do so much more with it.

Also why haven't I seen your fan made game posted on BZ? Have I just missed it?

I didn't want to release anything here until I had something concrete to present. (like the first chapter)

Plus I was a little bit paranoid about getting shut down due to several other MNOLG topics being closed. (still don't know what that "MNOLG 1.5" project was all about)

I started a discussion here.

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~