Legendary Platinum Avohkii Shines On Ebay

Though the Buy It Now price on the Ebay listing is equal to that of quite a nice car, the long desired object at last has an owner who is interested in selling. Some hope should be gleaned from the purposefully included "Make Offer" button. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and as always with such a valuable item; buyer beware.http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=5947]View the full article[/url]

Let's see... college, or LEGO. I choose college, sorry. Interesting to see if somebody does buy it though.

• Upvote 2

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Most expensive Lego piece ever. For real. I'll have to watch this. It looks like the price is a bit more than most of the fans who would really appriciate is could offer, plus you have to meet him in California. It's still nice to see it available, though.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

As awesome as it must be to own it, you have to be crazy to spend that amount on a mask. And with all due respect, but demanding that high of a price is quite impertinent in my opinion.-Gata signoff.png

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Ah, USA only it seems.

...Not that I have that kind of money to start with, nor would I spend it on a LEGO piece. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Even with the price of this mask being so high, I bet someone will still buy it. Just watch. It won't be me of course, because I don't have a spare $29,000 lying around. But someone will probably buy it.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

There's way too much negativity in this thread. Were the seller able to ship it to the UK, I've no doubt I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But then, I am absolutely hopeless with money so who am I to talk?

But no, seriously. That's just silly. I love how they even added "Museum quality", as though that was enough to entice me. I mean, come on, what museum's going to display a hyped up bit of toy jewellery?

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Looking back at old BZPower posts, found one from the owner of this mask:

And to all those interested, I am considering selling it some time soon.

To be honest, $29000 may seem a bit high, but I went through the trouble to find the price of platinum. As I post this, platinum is worth 1732.00 USD/oz. Assuming the piece weighs ~11oz (just an estimate), the price on this is quite good—only a tad bit overpriced (around 30% inflated), but it is a collector's item.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Man, that's... a lot. If no one buys it, the seller is crazy, if someone does, he's a great businessman :P

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Matrix, There is also the cost of manufacturing it, maintaining it, the original owner could've marked it up for profit, and the current seller could also have marked it up for profit. Material in the final product is not the only factor in determining its cost. Also, I agree with automaton that there is too much argument about the high price of the mask. The topic is that the mask is for sale, rather than its price.

bBhcfWO.png

Guest Takua the Chronicler7
How soon depends on some of the offers I'm still waiting on. I know it's a lot, but I wanted at least 4k for it.

Got from this article. I mean, $4000 and $29,000 is a big difference, he should of said "I wanted at least 25k for it"(just kidding).

I don't even have $29,000, even if I wanted it a lot.

I just can't believe this is on sale, though. I mean, if I won something VERY rare, I would keep it.

Edited by Takua the Chronicler7

O.K. guys, believe it or not, I have actually placed that latest bid on it. I agree it's quite the astounding price, but... it's a...

Platinum... Avohkii.

To dedicated Bionicle fans like us, this is like the Ark of the Covenant, or the Crystal Skulls, or... ya get it. :P----

Now that I have your attention, I was joking about my bid on the Avohkii. It would seem ridiculous for a person to bid the price of a car for this (and ridiculous for me to have the money XD).

Edited by Pantera

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

Guest sinewav

Never thought I'd see the day that a Bionicle mask would ever have that as an asking price.

Don't get me wrong this is a very very cool find if true, just wow.

He said himself the weight is 3 troy ounces, so converted to grams is 93 grams then multiply with 58 to know the full price for the platinum in USD wich is: 5394 $ So the super high price won't solely rely on the platinum itself.

Keep in mind its a one-of-a-kind mold in platinum, therefore being a collector's item. It's pretty much the same story as this—the car only would have cost around $25000-$35000 to make—yet it sold for 4.6 million dollars.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

He said himself the weight is 3 troy ounces, so converted to grams is 93 grams then multiply with 58 to know the full price for the platinum in USD wich is: 5394 $ So the super high price won't solely rely on the platinum itself.

Keep in mind its a one-of-a-kind mold in platinum, therefore being a collector's item. It's pretty much the same story as this—the car only would have cost around $25000-$35000 to make—yet it sold for 4.6 million dollars.

Granted, not many besides fans of Bionicle would recognize the Avohkii, and I'm not sure how many of us have that much money laying around. :P

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Granted, not many besides fans of Bionicle would recognize the Avohkii, and I'm not sure how many of us have that much money laying around. :P

I'm fairly certain we'll see people going for that. The biggest thing about only one in existence is that the person who has it can ask however much money they want, so there is always the strong chance of profit, since the person who buys it for $29000 will be able to sell it for $30000 if they want, then somebody will be able to buy it and sell it for $31000. Sure, as the price gets higher less people will be able to afford it, but there is almost always a person who will have both interest and money. Even people who aren't Bionicle fans who do some research (like most people involved in collecting things of value) will be the people to buy and resell at higher prices, because this kind of thing is what makes big bucks. Collectibles are good that way, especially when rare. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Guys, $29000 is the Buy it Now price. The actual amount this ends up (or doesn't end up) selling for will probably be much less. Most eBay BIN prices are grossly overinflated, and part of this is to encourage bidding.

banner.jpg

This is crazy. I'd rather buy a nice car with that kind of money than blow it on an expensive collectible that I'd probably lose anyway, be it standard misplacing, massive house fire, freak teleportation accident, etc. :P

But seriously, I hope that whoever buys it is a big Bionicle fan with enough money to be able to afford it...if such a fan exists...

3DS Friend Code (Pokemon X): 4098 - 4028 - 0743

(Please tell me if you added me so I can add you back!)

My Brickshelf

I can feel the pressure getting steeper with every life lost.
You hope that I won't see the light of day in time to come.

tessewact.png
With no conviction founded just, judgement contorted based on lust,
Give me strength.

This is crazy. I'd rather buy a nice car with that kind of money than blow it on an expensive collectible that I'd probably lose anyway, be it standard misplacing, massive house fire, freak teleportation accident, etc. :P But seriously, I hope that whoever buys it is a big Bionicle fan with enough money to be able to afford it...if such a fan exists...
You know, something of this sort is probably not that difficult to insure. Of course, that requires an additional investment on top of buying the thing in the first place, but if someone were to buy it with the intent of keeping it then that's par for the course.

This is crazy. I'd rather buy a nice car with that kind of money than blow it on an expensive collectible that I'd probably lose anyway, be it standard misplacing, massive house fire, freak teleportation accident, etc. :P

But seriously, I hope that whoever buys it is a big Bionicle fan with enough money to be able to afford it...if such a fan exists...

If you put it in a safe place like other collectibles should go, then you shouldn't have to worry about losing it. As for a house fire, unless the house is being burned in oil, I don't think there is a risk of the mask melting. Platinum's melting point is 3,215°F (1,768°C). And teleportation hopefully isn't a concern. Plus, like Aanchir said, it can be insured.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

What would bug me if I owned this piece is that there are no other platinum Bionicle parts. So no matter what kind of MOC I made to wear it, it'd stick out. =(

So you are saying that if you owned this platinum piece you would try to use it in a MOC?

Well yeah and I'd try to play with said MOC too. It's a construction toy right?