Legendary Platinum Avohkii Shines On Ebay

What would bug me if I owned this piece is that there are no other platinum Bionicle parts. So no matter what kind of MOC I made to wear it, it'd stick out. =(

So you are saying that if you owned this platinum piece you would try to use it in a MOC?

Well yeah and I'd try to play with said MOC too. It's a construction toy right?

Well that's arguable. Parts like this molded in precious metals are clearly designed as collectors' items and have a tremendous amount of value, as can be seen here. And platinum, despite its durability, ranks only at 4-4.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. Compare that to quartz, the main component of most sand, which is in its pure form a 7 on the Mohs Hardness Scale. In other words, you'd want to be fairly careful with a platinum mask so that you don't scratch it (though not as careful as you would need to be with the gold Hau from 2001, which you might not even want to handle without gloves).

Silly Fives, The Avohkii isn't a Legendary Kanohi.

But if it was destroyed by Teridax back then, boom.

What would bug me if I owned this piece is that there are no other platinum Bionicle parts. So no matter what kind of MOC I made to wear it, it'd stick out. =(

So you are saying that if you owned this platinum piece you would try to use it in a MOC?

Fine metals are tend to break. I would keep it in a plastic bubble and worship it. (all except the last)

-G u u R a h K

Wow...

So, would it be too far a stretch for the BIONICLE community to buy it as a whole? Because I know I don't have $29,000. I know if I had it, I would make Takanuva and put it on once. Take pictures with it, different epic poses of course. And then put it in a glass case next to my bed. That way I can look at it every day. Or maybe put it on a Mata can lid, like a Suva.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Anyone have a spare £29,000 they could spare?

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Wow... So, would it be too far a stretch for the BIONICLE community to buy it as a whole? Because I know I don't have $29,000. I know if I had it, I would make Takanuva and put it on once. Take pictures with it, different epic poses of course. And then put it in a glass case next to my bed. That way I can look at it every day. Or maybe put it on a Mata can lid, like a Suva.
Who'd keep it at their house, though? :P Not to mention that I think spending such a huge amount of money on a small mask, even if platinum, is not right.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Silly Fives, The Avohkii isn't a Legendary Kanohi.

But if it was destroyed by Teridax back then, boom.

Fine metals are tend to break. I would keep it in a plastic bubble and worship it. (all except the last)

Not really. It won't break unless you apply 190 newtons (about 419 pounds-force). It is susceptible to wear and scratch though.

Anyone have a spare £29,000 they could spare?

It's 29,000 USD at eBay's Buy It Now price.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

So it looks like a construction toy but you can't play with it because it's so delicate you might spoil it. This thing's getting more appealing by the minute.

It doesn't even look that nice. I prefer my nice smooth plastic surface to a rough metal one.

You sure don't know WHAT KIND of metal Platinum is. Platinum is smooth. It's a precious metal, even more precious than gold. And gold is smooth too. :P

Yes but the actual Avohkii doesn't look that smooth in the picture. It looks pitted and scratched. Maybe the guy played with it already.

Edited by Kumata

So it looks like a construction toy but you can't play with it because it's so delicate you might spoil it. This thing's getting more appealing by the minute.

It doesn't even look that nice. I prefer my nice smooth plastic surface to a rough metal one.

You sure don't know WHAT KIND of metal Platinum is. Platinum is smooth. It's a precious metal, even more precious than gold. And gold is smooth too. :P

Yes but the actual Avohkii doesn't look that smooth in the picture. It looks pitted and scratched. Maybe the guy played with it already.

That happens in any material. In plastic is just less noted.

-G u u R a h K

My point still stands: that a regular plastic Avohkii looks smoother than this version.

... and actually blends with the colour of other pieces too (they didn't make any other platinum pieces right?)

(A pure platinum Takanuva would be sick)

(Even if you couldn't play with it)

Edited by Kumata

My point still stands: that a regular plastic Avohkii looks smoother than this version.

... and actually blends with the colour of other pieces too (they didn't make any other platinum pieces right?)

No, because it would cost way too much. This being the only platinum LEGO piece is where that high price comes from.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Who'd keep it at their house, though? :P Not to mention that I think spending such a huge amount of money on a small mask, even if platinum, is not right.-Gata signoff.png
Likewise. No matter how cool it is, there is no way to justify the price tag on this thing.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

*Burglar breaks into house*

"Time to take anything I can!"

"Not much around here..."

"I don't know what that is, but it's platinum, so it's good to go!"

Don't know why I thought of this, but it's a rather good situation to think about if ya buy it.

Led Zeppelin?

Yes. :P

you know it couldn't be the only one out there. some one could of bought a hunk of platinum and got an Avohkii model and made their own but i never knew such a mask esicted i thought Lego only did gold and silver

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

you know it couldn't be the only one out there. some one could of bought a hunk of platinum and got an Avohkii model and made their own but i never knew such a mask esicted i thought Lego only did gold and silver

It wouldn't be nearly the same. The fact of this being the original one (and I believe it has a certificate of authenticity) makes it have a higher value.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I only wish I were rich enough to afford such luxuries as LEGO pieces that cost $7,000 more than my car.
  • "I can't afford luxuries"
  • Has a $22,000 car

ok

That made me laugh.

In all seriousness though, I dont see the point in having it. I wouldnt spend more that £10 and thats a stretch.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I only wish I were rich enough to afford such luxuries as LEGO pieces that cost $7,000 more than my car.

[*]"I can't afford luxuries"[*]Has a $22,000 car

ok

Cars are expensive. The cheapest new Kia I could find was still over $13,000. Yes you can buy used, but then you often have to pay more maintenance costs. Regardless, there's a difference between spending $22,000 over a number of years (people usually take out loans for cars) for a machine that will take you and others over hundreds of thousands of miles over a number of years and spending $29,000 on a piece of platinum that will look pretty on your bookshelf.

• [*]"I can't afford luxuries"[*]Has a $22,000 car

ok

Cars are expensive. The cheapest new Kia I could find was still over $13,000. Yes you can buy used, but then you often have to pay more maintenance costs. Regardless, there's a difference between spending $22,000 over a number of years (people usually take out loans for cars) for a machine that will take you and others over hundreds of thousands of miles over a number of years and spending $29,000 on a piece of platinum that will look pretty on your bookshelf.

See? Black Six has my back. He would put it on his shelf too! ^_^

new_sig_legacy_2.png

HOLY ! I live 45 minutes away from cotati! Kinda creepy how it all of a sudden surfaces out of nowhere, though. I definitely would buy it, but I would have to sell all of my stuff, a kidney, my gallbladder, my spleen, my appendix, and my left leg to get that much money. Hmm... how much do I have? $90!

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

HOLY ! I live 45 minutes away from cotati! Kinda creepy how it all of a sudden surfaces out of nowhere, though. I definitely would buy it, but I would have to sell all of my stuff, a kidney, my gallbladder, my spleen, my appendix, and my left leg to get that much money. Hmm... how much do I have? $90!

You should visit the seller only to get a look of this awesome mask.

HOLY #####! I live 45 minutes away from cotati! Kinda creepy how it all of a sudden surfaces out of nowhere, though. I definitely would buy it, but I would have to sell all of my stuff, a kidney, my gallbladder, my spleen, my appendix, and my left leg to get that much money. Hmm... how much do I have? $90!

You do realize that the appendix doesn't do anything, right?

It's really a shame I can't have a job. Or my own multi-million dollar company and I'm CEO. Then I might be able to buy it. Hopefully it will stay on the market till then. Or he lowers the price to at least $10,000.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

HOLY #####! I live 45 minutes away from cotati! Kinda creepy how it all of a sudden surfaces out of nowhere, though. I definitely would buy it, but I would have to sell all of my stuff, a kidney, my gallbladder, my spleen, my appendix, and my left leg to get that much money. Hmm... how much do I have? $90!

It's really a shame I can't have a job. Or my own multi-million dollar company and I'm CEO. Then I might be able to buy it. Hopefully it will stay on the market till then. Or he lowers the price to at least $10,000.

The appendix actually serves as a breeding ground for beneficial gut bacteria. I don't think it'd sell for much, though, considering trying to transplant it would be a disaster. :P

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

You do realize that the appendix doesn't do anything, right? It's really a shame I can't have a job. Or my own multi-million dollar company and I'm CEO. Then I might be able to buy it. Hopefully it will stay on the market till then. Or he lowers the price to at least $10,000.

The appendix actually serves as a breeding ground for beneficial gut bacteria. I don't think it'd sell for much, though, considering trying to transplant it would be a disaster. :P

While that's the most prevalent theory for the function the appendix once performed, in this day and age it's superfluous since even without an appendix you'd get those same bacteria simply through interaction with other people.

Exactly! I only choose to sell organs I can live without. Anyways, maybe I could convince the guy to let me see it, or maybe even hold it.

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

ok

Cars are expensive. The cheapest new Kia I could find was still over $13,000. Yes you can buy used, but then you often have to pay more maintenance costs. Regardless, there's a difference between spending $22,000 over a number of years (people usually take out loans for cars) for a machine that will take you and others over hundreds of thousands of miles over a number of years and spending $29,000 on a piece of platinum that will look pretty on your bookshelf forever.

Fixed.

Guest CharlemagneXVI
  • Has a $22,000 car

ok

Listen kid, there is a very big difference between spending twenty-something thousand dollars on a piece of heavy machinery that is necessary for daily life and spending twenty-something thousand dollars on a shiny LEGO brick.

• Has a $22,000 car

ok

Listen kid, there is a very big difference between spending twenty-something thousand dollars on a piece of heavy machinery that is necessary for daily life and spending twenty-something thousand dollars on a shiny LEGO brick.

A little bit off topic but a car is very not necessary for daily life.

ok

It depends. For some people, a car is the only way to get to work or to a supermarket.-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

ok

It depends. For some people, a car is the only way to get to work or to a supermarket.-Gata signoff.png

Dont mean to derail this thread but a $22,000 car could be considered a luxury while a much cheaper one I agree, in a lot of circumstances, a necessity

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

ok

Dont mean to derail this thread but a $22,000 car could be considered a luxury while a much cheaper one I agree, in a lot of circumstances, a necessity

Depends on what features that money is paying for. Ideally, anything as expensive as a car should be a long-term investment, so you don't want to buy something affordable if it means you're getting less-than-optimal performance.Generally, I've also done a good job keeping my non-LEGO investments modest, but having had to buy my own groceries on numerous occasions, I've learned that "bargain priced" items of any kind are often that way for a reason. Pointless luxury can be wasteful but if you're paying for genuine quality and reliability it's a totally different story (and even a luxury car can be a good long-term investment if it's expected to appreciate in value and you plan to sell it later).

ok

Depends on what features that money is paying for. Ideally, anything as expensive as a car should be a long-term investment, so you don't want to buy something affordable if it means you're getting less-than-optimal performance.Generally, I've also done a good job keeping my non-LEGO investments modest, but having had to buy my own groceries on numerous occasions, I've learned that "bargain priced" items of any kind are often that way for a reason. Pointless luxury can be wasteful but if you're paying for genuine quality and reliability it's a totally different story (and even a luxury car can be a good long-term investment if it's expected to appreciate in value and you plan to sell it later).

And I guarantee this mask has appreciated and will appreciate in value, especially with good care.

Edited by Meiko

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

ok

And I guarantee this mask has appreciated and will appreciate in value, especially with good care.

Guys we're getting a bit off topic here, let us focus on the mask and not bother about the price and how many cars it's worth

I'm back!

ok

Guys we're getting a bit off topic here, let us focus on the mask and not bother about the price and how many cars it's worth

The price is up for discussion, as it pertains to the mask. The part about cars isn't really applicable to the topic. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Sorry if I offended anyone but cars are not necessary, especially ones that cost $22,000. They might make your life a lot easier, sure, but they're not necessary.

And (bringing us back on topic) neither is this Avohkii. $29,000 is insane for a collector's item, especially one (as I've mentioned earlier) that you can't even do anything with for fear of spoiling it!

Incidentally, was this the last super-rare/super-valuable Bionicle collectible to be released?