MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

Nuparu77

Okay, I was looking through the game to find the Ko-Koro Hall of Prophesy, and I found another glitch. While Takua is talking to Vakama the first time (Map name: Episode_10-3), Takua's arm pops out of its socket to grab the tablet. It's down by his waist and looks rather disturbing. Same with while he's talking to Jaller immediately afterwards.

The Ko-Koro Hall of Prophesy is map XX.5-N.swf. When you turn around, it goes to XX.4-N.swf, which is still in the Hall of Prophesy, and you're still facing the same way, and then you turn around again to leave the Hall of Prophesy. Seems kind of redundant. Maybe add another scene or extend XX.5-N.swf so you can turn to go back to the main room.

By the way, the scene with Maku where they pause midstep is Episode 10-6.

And yes, I was talking about the one to Lewa's shrine, which is technically called a Suva.

And a few ideas for your questions:

Maybe Takua can get some kind of drill or something from Nuparu to either attempt to block a hole in the impenetrable layer, or to dig through a tunnel the Bohrok collapsed to save someone or something. The game just needs more items in general, and that would be cool to see.

The Ga-Koro tunnel is actually in MNOLG II, to give you an idea of where it should come out. Basically, there's a path through the mountain near Naho Falls (the one with Gali's mask), and then if you follow that path a bit (It's called Old Fusa Path, just to be accurate), there's a tunnel to Onu-Koro.

The idea that Bohrok flood something you need to cross with the Lava Board would be awesome, or it could be a way to get back into Ta-Koro at the beginning of Chapter 2. Maybe the Bohrok collapse the bridge, flood it with Lava, or break the machines, and you need to get across somehow to see Vakama.

I really can't wait for the Boxor game! Sounds awesome!

The path past the Cable Car could go to another overlook. The one in Po-Koro was so well done, I wouldn't mind seeing it again somewhere else.

Also, the snowboarding game seems kind of glitched. Maybe I fail at it, but I can't seem to dodge any of the rocks, and there were several times when multiple rocks came down at once and I couldn't really dodge it that well. But if everyone else can pass it, and there's a "Continue" button, it's fine. By the way, I also loved Matoro's character right there, as he's so determined to catch the Kane-Ra, and he just chucks the unstable Heatstone (is that canon?) into the mountain so calmly, and rides away. I laughed a bit.

EDIT: Wow, I just tried it again, and it wasn't nearly as hard as the first time. No idea what happened there. Just disregard that previous paragraph.

Edited by Click

I believe you have to go to the beach and click on the statue, lots of people are having trouble with this is the conversation with Jaller when he meets up with you unclear?

A little bit. He says go to the beach, but it's kind of unclear what beach he is talking about.

The Ta-Wahi Beach, then if you keep going you will see the statue with the mouth. You have to click on the mouth of the statue to activate the conversation.

Thank you! Figured it out!

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

God this is awesome, especially the fact that everyone acts so natural, it's almost like it's a real continuation. Only issue is the spelling sometimes :P and I keep being tempted to use the flute. For the rest, it's top notch, Especially the character animations. The characters are also very distinct, especially Hafu and Matoro. Someone should ask Greg to canonize this, it's not like he does anything these days anyway.

Edited by electrodude

It's all ogre now

Just thought of another suggestion - it would be cool if you could buy/sell stuff from the traders. Maybe also collect natural resources like gems and bamboo and shells like in MNOG II. (Although this may be hard to do. :shrugs: ) You could also do a mining mini-game or something.

Edited by Liopleurodon

Just thought of another suggestion - it would be cool if you could buy/sell stuff from the traders. Maybe also collect natural resources like gems and bamboo and shells like in MNOG II. (Although this may be hard to do. :shrugs: ) You could also do a mining mini-game or something.

It wouldn't be hard for me to implement something like this, the only issue I have is if I can make it fit into the storyline in a logical fashion.

This game takes place in a time of a life-or-death struggle with the Bohrok. Wars are being fought, landscapes decimated, villages lost, matoran being controlled by krana. I don't think that it fits to have the chronicler doing mundane or daily tasks while all this is happening. Yes if you need to get an item, like a heatstone or something, the chronicler can travel in order to pick one up. Maybe he can even buy it from a trader if they have the audacity to charge the Chronicler for something that he needs in order to save a village. Doing repetitive and daily tasks I feel only fit in a time of peace, and this is not that time. MNOLG 2 did a great job of showing the day-to-day life of the matoran, but this game does not take place in a time where day-to-day tasks are being done.

I feel that the pace of this game should be that of the Chronicler running from one battlefront to the next, aiding the Toa in a rescue misson and then hurrying back for an attempt to recapture a village, sneaking vital information to the front lines, or scouting ahead to track the movements of the Bohrok. If I'm going to make a minigame I feel my time would be better spent on one where you are defending a village against all odds or piloting a Boxor and Pwning Bohrok face, instead of gathering bamboo. I want this game to be more like MNOLG 1 where YOU are put right into the heart of the action, in a period of chaos and adventure, where Heroes are born and remembered for what they do and the sacrifices they make.

Sorry I ranted a bit there :P

Great idea, just how would it fit the game's mood?

Maybe instead of gathering bamboo or shells you and a few other brave matoran return to a battlefield in the dead of night (in order to not be discovered) and collect Bohrok parts so that you can build/repair Boxors.

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

The view of Po-Wahi from the lookout point is nice. Midak's little speach about the chronicler's company was pretty neat too.

The timing is a bit off though. In MNOLG the Toa returned to the surface before Takua did, and in Comic #4, the Toa hadn't even left Kini Nui when they heard of the attack on Ta-Koro. Therefor, the Bohrok began their attack immediatly after Takua woke them. That was the only continuity error I could find, besides some Matoran that still talk about 2001 stuff.

Although, in Comic #4, it was daytime, and Takua returned to Ta-Koro at night. So there was at least a gap of a few hours. It wouldn't be a huge stretch to say that the invasion was mid-afternoon and the Toa were having a breather/nap/party at Kini-Nui until then, which gives Takua a few hours of daylight to trek the island and deliver the message. Let's just assume that he's a REALLY good runner. (MNOLG1 apparently happened in one day, so it works)

You're right, the days must be longer on Aqua Magna anyways, and MNOLG1 only takes about an hour to complete. The Legend of Mata Nui cut scenes show a pretty significant celebration before the Toa leave Kini-Nui as well.

Mantax can win connect four in three moves.

Fighting the Bohrok in a Boxor, from a first person perspective(i.e. the boxor arms would be visible in the top left and right hand corner) sounds like a great idea, whether it's done like the Nui-Rama minigame game or otherwise. Since Boxors use melee primarily, perhaps if this were to be done like the Nui-Rama minigame, if you wanted to make it easier a targeting reticule could appear on the Bohrok when they were in range of the arms, at which point you would be able to hit them. Their attacks would be elemental attacks at long range(which you would have to dodge with the arrow keys, or have a visible health meter and health powerups), and then at short range they would try to hit you with their handshields or a swing forward of their heads(in which case you would have to hit them before they get close enough to hit you). From the description of needing several boxor to take down a bohrok, I think you'd have to hit them multiple times for a single bohrok to fall.

Edited by -Auron-

61869245.png

The Nui-Rama minigame actually seems like a good basis for this. Just clicking on the Bohrok at the right time will hit it, but it needs to be close enough and you have to hit it to knock its Krana out. The part with the arrow keys seems trickier, although it could just pan the screen a bit. The health could function similar to the Nui-Rama game, just like after a certain number get past you, it will show an animation of the Boxor getting overrun and Takua being rescued at the last second. Then you can just mount another one and go at it again!

Edited by Click

How far have you planned this, BTW? It might not hurt to know exactly what you want to do with the story all the way to the end in regards to planning things, and in helping to make sure it ties into everything right.Also, how do you plan to work with the preexisting Templar Bohrok movies? Are you going to try to redo the moments where Takua is involved to give more player interaction?

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

This project has come a long way since it first started two and a half years ago. I remember when the Hafu cutscene still had a Matoran mother and child! It's not like something like that could happen again, with the entire BZP fanbase identifying any possible continuity errors.

Edited by Tren Krom

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

Ok, here is an update on where I'm at on my end.This past week was the last week of classes, next week is final exam period, and I graduate on May 4th. Yay, done with College! :happydance:I have been mostly working on planning out the story for the next chapter, fixing any bugs that you guys find, and thinking about how I would go about converting this onto a group project.Rubber will meet the road after next week sometime, being as I will have entire days that I can dedicate solely to progressing this game!However, I will not just disappear in the meantime, I will be doing my best to remain active on the forums and respond to all of your PM's, comments and suggestions.speaking of which, here are some responses:

Andrewnuva199, on 24 Apr 2013 - 18:56, said:How far have you planned this, BTW? It might not hurt to know exactly what you want to do with the story all the way to the end in regards to planning things, and in helping to make sure it ties into everything right.Also, how do you plan to work with the preexisting Templar Bohrok movies? Are you going to try to redo the moments where Takua is involved to give more player interaction?

I have a roughly planned out the story all the way though the end of the game, however only a small part of it is finalized. I don't want to spoil the plot for the game, so I will only be sharing details of the my story through PM's. If you want to help out planning the story send me a PM and we can discuss what your ideas are. As for the Bohrok animations, I plan on trying to keep them as original as possible, maybe only splitting them into parts but keeping the content the same.

Tren Krom, on 25 Apr 2013 - 05:30, said:This project has come a long way since it first started two and a half years ago. I remember when the Hafu cutscene still had a Matoran mother and child! It's not like something like that could happen again, with the entire BZP fanbase identifying any possible continuity errors.

Wow now here is someone who must've found my project on the other forum. I think that the child version was much more funny than the current version, but very incorrect. Although, it's a perfect example of how I animate. I just kind of animate and don't think about where I'm going.... It's also why I'm spending a lot of time storyboarding the rest of the game so that I don't get sidetracked again and go off on some pointless tangent. Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Firstly, as a longtime Bionicle fan and MNOLG lover, thank you very much for making this. This is likely the closest we'll ever get to new 'classic' Bionicle material, and to undertake such a project for no financial gain is extremely admirable.

As for the game itself...

I like how you've expanded the villages, and the additions never seem at all out of place. Seeing inside the Le-Koro huts was a highlight. The new Matoran were a nice touch, but they don't always have much of interest to say, and I agree the numerous empty rooms are a bit of a letdown. It's very brave of you to write so much new dialogue, even if some of it isn't quite in the spirit of the original.

The clips are well-animated, and you capture the MNOLG's humour and playfulness very well. Some of the conversations are a bit rambling, particularly when you have to click through each line of dialogue, though I suppose this applies to some clips in the original game and the Bohrok animations.

I agree with the statement that racing round the entire island and meeting so many people in one go is a little overwhelming, and prevents any local 'tone' being developed or maintained. Given that many players hadn't played the original in years, I can't help feeling that you've missed the opportunity to have the locations fresh for future installments. As it is, I worry that subsequently seeing the same settings over and over will become a bit repetitive.

The Ko-Wahi minigame is well-designed, but goes on too long, especially as there's no variation in the obstacles or scenery. The music is lovely, is it borrowed or an original composition?

Overall, despite some flaws, this is a great effort and I express my thanks for it.

Edited by Sir Kohran

I really love this game. I remember trying to make something like this many years ago, but it ultimately failed because of my lack of programming knowledge and overall dedication. I have played through this and I am impressed. The new areas feel so much like the old game. I seriously thought that the cliff where Onewa was in Po-Koro was a part of the old game. You really pulled off quite a feat.

• Upvote 1

- King Vezok

I am feeling so very nostalgia'd right now.

Seriously, great work with this; I wouldn't quite say flawless, but it comes very close. I'm especially impressed with how accurate all the matoran were to their classic MNOLG personalities, and I eagerly await seeing more.

A couple of continuity issues that struck me, though, if I may? For one, Jaller's name; shouldn't he still be Jala at this point? I didn't think it was changed until after the Bohrok-Kal's defeat. And the other is the pack of Muaka; I seem to remember Norik stating that they were loners by nature?

Still, these are very minor issues; just me being pedantic, mostly XD;; Don't feel like you need to change anything on my account ^^

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 2 weeks later...

The exo-toa suit doesn't really do much in the story, I think it would be cool if we could control a toa in the suit after they obtain them. Maybe fight swarms of Bohrok protecting the queens or something like that. Also, is that Onewa's body in Nuparu's hut? Did he disassemble him? :o

Also, is that Onewa's body in Nuparu's hut? Did he disassemble him? :o

I think it's been mentioned before, but those were suppose to be rahi parts from the first game. Those rooms were never finished, and those parts were in there.

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar

Also, is that Onewa's body in Nuparu's hut? Did he disassemble him? :o

I think it's been mentioned before, but those were suppose to be rahi parts from the first game. Those rooms were never finished, and those parts were in there.

Those rooms were intended to be in the original game, but they decided not to include them. Instead of taking them out and having to extensively modify the scenes, they made them inaccessible and covered their entrances with doors. This worked out good for Nuparu77, as it was easy to modify the game to regain access to these locations. There are several other huts in the game that Nuparu77 found that could be modified to gain access to them.

Bliss.png

Any info on the Ko-Wahi minigame music?EDIT: Did some digging and found it's a piece called Ice Cap Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

It is actually a remix of that soundtrack called 'Ice Attack' by Trance-Canada over at OCRemix.

I chose that tune because I got the idea for the minigame from the snowboarding section in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Ice Cap Zone.

The exo-toa suit doesn't really do much in the story, I think it would be cool if we could control a toa in the suit after they obtain them. Maybe fight swarms of Bohrok protecting the queens or something like that.

Controlling the Toa inside the exo-armor, sounds interesting, although I'm not sure how I would implement that. Flash is really only good at doing 2D games, so either top-down or side-scrolling. The only 3D type game that I could really try to make would be something similar to the Kahu minigame in the first MNOLG. But I agree there should be some type of minigame where you get to control the Toa inside the armor.

I like how egotistical Hafu is. XD

lol, I love making episodes and writing dialogue for him because it can be so funny!

So, how's progress on the next chapter going?

Progress is happening!I've ironed out a timeline for chapters 2-5 (it looks like there may be 6 chapters total) I'm still working out the details but the overall flow of the story is there. I decided to break each chapter into two parts and release the game part by part. This will allow me to release updates more frequently, although each release will have less gameplay. I decided to structure my updates like this for two main reasons:1. Unless I open this up as a group project (which I'm seriously considering) and get some other programmers to help me, this will take a long time to produce and quicker updates will hold everyone's interest more effectively.2. Feedback! The bug reports that you guys submit help me immensely! The reason that the initial Chapter 1 release had so many errors was because I developed it almost entirely by myself before releasing it. So hopefully splitting the game into smaller parts will help me deal with bugs when they are fewer and more manageable. I've probably completed 25%-35% of the next release (depending on how much work the next minigame takes me to develop.)I start my first full-time job this Monday, so next week I should be able to better estimate how long until the next update.

Edited by Nuparu77

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

Any info on the Ko-Wahi minigame music?EDIT: Did some digging and found it's a piece called Ice Cap Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

It is actually a remix of that soundtrack called 'Ice Attack' by Trance-Canada over at OCRemix.

I chose that tune because I got the idea for the minigame from the snowboarding section in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 Ice Cap Zone.

>>The exo-toa suit doesn't really do much in the story, I think it would be cool if we could control a toa in the suit after they obtain them. Maybe fight swarms of Bohrok protecting the queens or something like that.

Controlling the Toa inside the exo-armor, sounds interesting, although I'm not sure how I would implement that. Flash is really only good at doing 2D games, so either top-down or side-scrolling. The only 3D type game that I could really try to make would be something similar to the Kahu minigame in the first MNOLG. But I agree there should be some type of minigame where you get to control the Toa inside the armor.

I like how egotistical Hafu is. XD

lol, I love making episodes and writing dialogue for him because it can be so funny!

So, how's progress on the next chapter going?

Progress is happening!I've ironed out a timeline for chapters 2-5 (it looks like there may be 6 chapters total) I'm still working out the details but the overall flow of the story is there. I decided to break each chapter into two parts and release the game part by part. This will allow me to release updates more frequently, although each release will have less gameplay. I decided to structure my updates like this for two main reasons:1. Unless I open this up as a group project (which I'm seriously considering) and get some other programmers to help me, this will take a long time to produce and quicker updates will hold everyone's interest more effectively.2. Feedback! The bug reports that you guys submit help me immensely! The reason that the initial Chapter 1 release had so many errors was because I developed it almost entirely by myself before releasing it. So hopefully splitting the game into smaller parts will help me deal with bugs when they are fewer and more manageable. I've probably completed 25%-35% of the next release (depending on how much work the next minigame takes me to develop.)I start my first full-time job this Monday, so next week I should be able to better estimate how long until the next update.

I can't wait for the next update!

You should also do something with Boxors.

Edited by Damaracx 7.0

The exo-toa suit doesn't really do much in the story, I think it would be cool if we could control a toa in the suit after they obtain them. Maybe fight swarms of Bohrok protecting the queens or something like that.

It would be hard to fit it in to the storyline since Takua was no where near the Toa during their confrontation with the Bahrag. Its not like the Nui-Jaga nest mini-game in the first MNOLG where Takua is telling the blinded Pohatu where to kick the Kohlii balls. Takua isn't there with the Toa, and none of them are blind this time. :D

Bliss.png

It would be hard to fit it in to the storyline since Takua was no where near the Toa during their confrontation with the Bahrag. Its not like the Nui-Jaga nest mini-game in the first MNOLG where Takua is telling the blinded Pohatu where to kick the Kohlii balls. Takua isn't there with the Toa, and none of them are blind this time. :D

Who ever said it would just be all Takua?

One Request: please include the old fusa path song somewhere in the game. I love this song. I think it would be a good song to end the game with.

I like this Idea too. In fact, could add some of the MNOG 2 backgrounds that would work for this game? (Isn't it called first person view? I can't remember...)