MNOLG: The Bohrok Swarms

Nuparu77

I really love this game. Several parts had me laughing my head off, and it's really enjoyable in general. Spelling and grammar need a bit of work, and some of the explanations and backstory can be a bit too wordy, but hey, it's still a fun game.

looks great cant wait to try it!  :)

:m_p:  :i:  :s:  :h:  Kopaka.png  :i:  :s:  :s:  :e:  :l:

"INTJ PROUD;" 80788-81311-MI

WOAH: This is so professional and well done! One question, I walked into the forest and I can't get out, is that a bug or is there a path to follow?

When and where did you enter? There's one location that will glitch the game when you enter it at a certain point in the game.

FoF

Credit to ~the Big X~ for avatar

I'm currently playing through this with a friend and we've decided that these are the most polite Bohrok ever! The Pahrak waited to attack the guards until we got the disk from the Charred Forest! They waited to cross the bridge until we finally started to lower it!

(That is all in jest, of course. Very nostalgic and very cool! :D)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Any port for Mac?

I just ran it on my Mac. If you open the file "Browser Run.html" then your browser (say, Safari or Chrome) should open it, no port required. It worked great.

Overall this is pretty well done! The world overall feels a bit empty, with a lot of places where you can't interact with things. But adding mini games for more content would of course be an afterthought, and actually finishing the main story comes first.

qs33716.jpg

92% of teens have moved on to rap, if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.

I can't think of anything particularly creative to put here. Rayg made the avatar sprites, but I forget who made the lightsaber.

• 4 weeks later...

I must say that this game is in my opinion the best bionicle fan game (or should I say the best bionicle game ever) You guys have great ideas on minigames and animations. It's great to revisit Mata Nui and see much more locations and animations. Are you going to post some tutorials about how to make a game like this? And it would be good if you post some updates about progress. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really love this game! However, while playing it, I noticed several grammatical and spelling errors... If there was a way I could be involved in editing the text, that would be great! It only bugs me as this is such a great fan game otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any port for Mac?

Since the game is based in flash, There is no need for a port. You just play it. and if you're downloading it, Yes. There is a port for mac.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is this project dead? please tell me it is not...

Hey, no, I wouldn't call it dead... per say...

HOWEVER, I would not call things good right now. I haven't heard back from Nuparu in months, he has a job now, and is very busy. I'm a junior in high school, also very busy. Others have said it before, the main issue is we do not have enough people working on it. To be perfectly honest with you, i'm not competent in Flash at all, and Nuparu has dealt with all of that. I'm mostly a writer for scripts, story adivsor, etc etc, but I don't touch the programming, cause I don't know how to. 

Being perfectlly serious, if anyone IS competent in Flash, and programming, and thinks they would be able to lighten this impossible load, please message me. We need help, if this game is ever going to be completed. If you don't know how to do such things, and just want to help, your support is enough, we really do need people competent in flash however.

-Indi

• Upvote 1

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I have a lot of programming experience in multiple languages, but I have stayed away from flash.

I have experience in:

C (quite advanced I would say)

C++ (not as much as C)

Javascript (I spend most of my time with this)

Perl (not that much, but I can get by)

I could probably help with the coding in my free time, but only on small things at first. I wouldn't want to get sucked into it during school time.

Could you ask Nuparu where the source is for this game?

BTW, this is a really great game so far, and I love how true to the sets the characters are compared to MNOLG 1.

Edited by nunziotocci

Hey Everyone,

So I'm not going to sugarcoat it, I'm going to tell it like it is.

I've been traveling for work a lot, which leaves me with little to no time to work on this project recently.

Apparently I have a lot in common with scratchR

.... and how to write extremely elaborate stories with too many characters...

I tend to bite off way more than I can chew...

I had this great idea to build an isometric fighting engine to supplement the game, however it was too much for one person to do alone.

and now that I've invested so much time into it, I cant bring myself to just scratch it out of the game.

Ever finish a game and then just sit through the credits?..... aaaand 15 minutes later your still watching credits.... I'm starting to understand why it takes an army of people to build video games.

I'm still going to try to get Chapter 2 part 2 done.. I want to leave this game in a place where others can pick it up easily if there is interest to continue this and not leave them with half-completed stuff.

I have to say .... I've learned a lot and had tons of fun developing this though.

A little history on how/why this project came about:

I've never taken a programming class, well I've had MATLAB training as part of other classes but no actual dedicated programming class.

However I was always interested in learning how games were made.

I also like making stories, even though I'm bad at English & writing (you all know this, lol)

After watching or playing something with an interesting plot I enjoy picking it apart and critiquing it, asking questions like:

What would I have done different if I was writing this story?

What parts did I enjoy?

What plot elements where original and unique to this story?

I obviously did this for Bionicle too...

Pohatu should've been the Toa of lightning, I mean c'mon whats the difference between Earth and Rock abilities really? ...Would've gone along with his speed theme too...

So anyways I started developing this game because I wanted to learn programming and make stories... simple as that.

and let me tell you, I've learned a lot about programming especially with regards to game development.

I understand the principles of creating physics engines, AI intelligence, web interfacing, and much more.

so on a personal development scale this is a huge success for me.

.....as a game however, not so much....

For all those aspiring developers out there.... let me give you some advice,

Looking back my biggest mistake was trying to develop a game solo.

I should've first found some other programmers out there and done this as a team.

Believe it or not, it's REALLY hard to force yourself to work on something when you don't have to....

Game development may sound like fun, and in truth it is, but not all the time.

And it's those times when its not fun, that you need a friend/team to keep you going.

so,

Is this project dead?

Yes and No, I am going to continue wrapping up the battle Engine and Chapter 2 part 2 if I can, but beyond that I cant realistically see this going much further.

Just for the sake of conversation (because now my planned story for MNOLG1.5 will probably not be made)

As I hinted at above, a tool that I use to develop stories is I ask myself questions.

Here are some questions that I asked myself when thinking up the plot:

1) What is the difference between a Matoran/Toa wearing an Infected Mask and a Krana?

How does wearing one or the other effect the subjects ability to fight?

How does wearing one or the other effect the subjects ability to strategize or think critically?

2) In MNOLG 1 Ahkmou sells infected kolhii balls, and when discovered runs off and is branded a traitor, in MNOLG 2 he is back running his shop in Po-Koro.

What could possibly happen in MNOLG1.5 for him to regain his fellow Matoran's trust?

A simple 'sorry' isn't going to cut it.... he must've actually done something.....

3) What would happen if Kanohi Komau (Mask of Mind Control) was attempted to be used on a Bohrok?

Bohrok are being 'Mind controlled' by the Bohrok queens... so would it work?

or would you be opening your mind to the whatever controlling power the Queens are using? would it backfire?

These are just some of the questions I've attempted to answer when creating the timeline of events for MNOLG1.5

I'm interested to hear what your opinions are on these points.

So put yourself in the developer's position and ask yourself..... "if I was writing this story what would I make happen?"

(If quoting please do not repost this entire post... its long, delete what you don't need)

Edited by Nuparu77
  • Upvote 2

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~

I tend to bite off way more than I can chew...

Yeah, me too.

Ever finish a game and then just sit through the credits?..... aaaand 15 minutes later your still watching credits.... I'm starting to understand why it takes an army of people to build video games.

I have realized this myself and it was only after many tries and my father telling me over and over that I finally realized it.

Pohatu should've been the Toa of lightning, I mean c'mon whats the difference between Earth and Rock abilities really? ...Would've gone along with his speed theme too...

This makes sense, though they probably would have had a hard time making a region of lightning.

>1) What is the difference between a Matoran/Toa wearing an Infected Mask and a Krana?

>        How does wearing one or the other effect the subjects ability to fight?

>        How does wearing one or the other effect the subjects ability to strategize or think critically?

I would argue that when you have an infected mask, you are being controlled by the Makuta,

but when you have a krana on your face, you are only being controlled by the bohrok queens.

So I would say that a krana is easier to fight than an infected mask.

>2) In MNOLG 1 Ahkmou sells infected kolhii balls, and when discovered runs off and is branded a traitor, in MNOLG 2 he is back running his shop in Po-Koro.

>   What could possibly happen in MNOLG1.5 for him to regain his fellow Matoran's trust?

>        A simple 'sorry' isn't going to cut it.... he must've actually done something.....

He could save Turaga Onewa from a rock slide or help Hafu against the Tahnok.

>3) What would happen if Kanohi Komau (Mask of Mind Control) was attempted to be used on a Bohrok?

>       Bohrok are being 'Mind controlled' by the Bohrok queens... so would it work? 

>       or would you be opening your mind to the whatever controlling power the Queens are using? would it backfire?

This is an interesting question, the Bionicle wiki states:

> The Kanohi Komau was the Mask of Mind Control. It gave its user the power to see into another's mind and control it. However, it did not allow power over beings with no mind, such as Vahki and some types of Rahi.

And technically the bohrok are just machines, the krana controls them.

One could argue that the krana could be controlled, but you might open your mind to the Queens as you said.

Where could I find the source to this game? I could help you with the programming as I said above.

EDIT: just saw your PM, sorry.

Edited by nunziotocci
  • Upvote 1

Well said Nup. For anyone that would be ever interested in picking this game up got programming: do not fret, I have many google docs containing all of our story ideas, plot points, character arc, full descriptions of chapters, etc. You don't need to create this story on your own, because I'm here to help still. I may not be skilled with programming, but I'm going to try this summer, and if that doesn't work out my contributions will be to overall design and story.

-Indi

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I totally understand your decision to leave, Nuparu. I've had some experience in Flash animation and I wouldn't mind being part of the team that continues the work where you've left off. I just know this project will be completed someday.

I'm also well-versed in the Mata Nui story continuity, so as for your questions:

1a. An infected Kanohi places a Matoran or Toa under the Makuta's control. A Krana dominates its user's mind, and Krana are compelled to follow and serve the hive mind, which receives commands from the Bahrag queens. However, an individual Krana's mind isn't nearly as sophisticated as the Makuta's, so it is probably easier to fight.

1b. Someone infected with the Krana engages in combat as coordinated by the hive mind, and part of the Krana mentality is that unless someone is attacking you or in your way, you ignore them. An infected Kanohi makes its user do what the Makuta wills them to do, but their attacks can still be coordinated, such as Lewa and the Nui-Rama's capture of the Le-Koronans and subsequent battle with Onua.

1c. An infected mask-wearer is compelled to serve the will of the Makuta, so they have higher thinking, though they are more prone to rage and violence. Someone infected with a Krana doesn't think for themselves for the most part; the Krana is in control. There is some inter-connection going on however; people who've been Kranaed as long as Lewa can pickup their language. Moreover, Krana have never been reported to latch onto Rahi, so they must only target bio-mechanicals with high intelligence when coming out of their shells.

2a. During the Bohrok Wars, Ahkmou sold "lucky Ghekula" (Bohrok combiner Rahi) to superstitious Matoran. After the Comet incident, Turaga Onewa secretly knew he was working for the Makuta and forced him to stop selling such dishonest goods, but otherwise allowed him to remain in the village. For the remainder of the Mata Nui Saga, he continued to set up shop in Po-Koro, where he sold more legitimate wares.

2b. I'm think the other Matoran just didn't recognize Ahkmou. In addition to the physical changes brought on after the rebuilding, a lot of the Matoran had slightly different color schemes. When I played MNOG2, I didn't recognize Ahkmou as the "Koli Ball Traitor", nor did I remember his name when he came up again in the Metru Nui Saga. It might just be me though; I was around 8 at the time. And who knows? Maybe the Po-Matoran just assumed the Comets had infected him, and that it was the infection that compelled him to do such things.

2c. If Ahkmou did need to do something to redeem himself, perhaps he helped fight off the Tahnok in Po-Koro? He did help widen the tunnels to the Silver Sea when the Matoran prepared to migrate to Metru Nui.

3. The Toa and Turaga only possessed Noble Komau on Mata Nui, which only worked on Rahi. A Krana's mind is more complex as it is interlinked with countless others, as well as the Bahrag's. As for the Bohrok shell itself, it is a purely robotic exoskeleton and thus cannot be controlled as Rahi can, but it can be reprogrammed.

Edited by Tren Krom
  • Upvote 1

Come see my story-corrected Tahu And Takanuva MoCs

Nuparu has share the source with me, but I have no way to compile it as I am on a mac and we don't have the right adobe software.

I am going to continue checking for updates but do not expect me to contribute much.

I apologize for any false hopes I may have created.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I would like to thank you for all the hard work you put into this project. It is an amazing game and it is very true to the feeling of the original MNOLG, which was in my opinion the best official Bionicle game ever made. I would like to ask you a question. I would love to one day be able to create games like this so I'd like to ask you for some advice on where I could learn to code Flash. I have no experience whatsoever with coding so I'm not saying that I will be able to do some work in the forseeable future, but I'd like to know what the possibilities are. Any tips will be greatly appreciated  :)

• Upvote 2

IhDIrLK.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Tren Krom and nunziotocci good answers.
I your insights are great.

For the Infected Mask vs. Krana question: I remember comparing Lewa being controlled in the hive in the original MNOLG, to the Le-Matoran having Krana in the flash animation.

Le-Matoran seemed to talk while being controlled, whereas Lewa simply attacked, and talked only when Makuta's grip on his mind loosened.

Nuparu has share the source with me, but I have no way to compile it as I am on a mac and we don't have the right adobe software.

Flash Professional is available for Mac, and that should be all you need. Getting it can be either expensive or tricky.

First of all, I would like to thank you for all the hard work you put into this project. It is an amazing game and it is very true to the feeling of the original MNOLG, which was in my opinion the best official Bionicle game ever made. I would like to ask you a question. I would love to one day be able to create games like this so I'd like to ask you for some advice on where I could learn to code Flash. I have no experience whatsoever with coding so I'm not saying that I will be able to do some work in the forseeable future, but I'd like to know what the possibilities are. Any tips will be greatly appreciated  :)

The best and quickest way to learn flash is to simply dive in and start making something.
Find a goal, something that you really want to do (for me it was making MNOLG1.5) and just keep working toward that goal.
If you are not good at programming I would suggest starting with animating and learn that first.

In my opinion, coding is really easy once you learn to think in programming terms, which may take a while.
Computers are dumb, so you have to spell everything out for them; tell them exactly where to go, and what to do.

I'd say that there are 3 main concepts to Flash programming:

1) "Folder Structure" How things are saved and accessed in Flash.
Flash saves variables kinda like you save files in windows explorer (sry Mac ppl, I'm a PC :glasses:)
C:\Music\Song.mp3 ---> (Song.mp3 is inside the folder Music on the C drive)
In flash you simply replace the slashes with dots.
Game.Player1.Winner ---> (the Variable Winner is inside the object Player1 inside the object Game)

2) The "if" statement is your friend!!
if (Game.Player1.Winner eq True) {
     trace("You WIN!!")
}
This code simply says that if the variable Winner value is True then send a message that you win.

3) Basic Flash Commands
Flash is an animation software, so it kinda runs like a movie.
gotoAndPlay(30) ---> this will tell the movie to skip backward or forward to frame 30.
and all these commands (for ActionScript2.0) can be found online here.

Now, you real programmers out there are cringing and thinking "Nuparu, Flash programming is... is... so much more than just these few items....."
Yes you're right, but if a beginner can understand how things are stored, grasp some basic logic, and learn a few commands they will be able to get started.
more complex things will be learned as you progress and the need arises.

Besides, pretty much any hurdle that you face when coding has already been asked somewhere on the internet...
So when you run into a wall, just Google it. (that's what I did :P)

...or get frustrated and play Minecraft (I did a lot of that too :D, mostly just rage on Shotbow)

Edited by Nuparu77
  • Upvote 1

boxor_10.jpg

~Fan-Made Game~