Memes Take Over

zsdiogo

><One can't purposely create a meme. They just spur out of nothing at random like protons or something.

You have obviously never heard of Duke Nukem or Deadpool. Or even M. Bison, for that matter.
You obviously don't know how memes work.You can't just make something and spread it everywhere and say it's a meme. It just happens. A successful meme occurs when someone uploads a video, makes a picture, or whatever and probably shows it to some friends or something or perhaps it stays dormant without any notice for months, even years. Suddenly, the planets align just right and it spreads EVEYWHERE. Nobody knows how it got so popular, but it did. It gets copied, edited, and distributed to every corner of the internet and the person who originally created the media that became the meme is usually forgotten.
This is true (partially - at what stage can a meme be called a meme?), but I don't see what that had to do with what I had previously stated.
It has to do what what you were saying because I just described why one cannot willingly create a meme.
You can certainly try. Take the guy who created "Guile's theme goes with everything". Look at where that is now.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

You can certainly try. Take the guy who created "Guile's theme goes with everything". Look at where that is now.

He made a series of videos, not a meme. It became a meme when everyone else decided to copy, edit, and distribute his videos everywhere. THAT was not his doing.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

He made a series of videos, not a meme. It became a meme when everyone else decided to copy, edit, and distribute his videos everywhere. THAT was not his doing.
Well, unless you actually try, you're definitely not going to make any memes. And I think he was deliberately attempting to create a meme, which is what I said earlier - you can deliberately try to create a meme, and it can work.

I have to say, I agree with you on that "because it feels good," stuff, but Deadpool isn't a meme.Just a hilarious comic book character.

You might be right about that, but I think M. Bison and Duke Nukem have quite a few lines that have attained meme status now.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Well, unless you actually try, you're definitely not going to make any memes. And I think he was deliberately attempting to create a meme, which is what I said earlier - you can deliberately try to create a meme, and it can work.
Of course you can try, but you can't just simply create one when you want to. Sometimes they even happen when you don't try.Just look at the 'Evil Blog Master' meme that just cropped up in the official MLP topic. Nobody planned for that to happen, it just did. It's certainly not huge but it does qualify as a meme. Edited by Emkay

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Of course you can try, but you can't just simply create one when you want to. Sometimes they happen when you don't try.Just look at the 'Evil Blog Master' meme that just cropped up in COT. Nobody planned for that to happen, it just did. It's certainly not huge but it does qualify as a meme.
Which was exactly my point. There is nothing stopping you from trying to create a meme.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

You might be right about that, but I think M. Bison and Duke Nukem have quite a few lines that have attained meme status now.

I don't know about M. Bison, but I'd like to say every popular Duke Nukem line was stolen from some other, Manly-type movie. Watch They Live, or Army of Darkness, ETC. That's the point of the character.I was going to say something else, but forgot kthxbye

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

I don't know about M. Bison, but I'd like to say every popular Duke Nukem line was stolen from some other, Manly-type movie. Watch They Live, or Army of Darkness, ETC. That's the point of the character.I was going to say something else, but forgot kthxbye
Actually, I already knew that - that happens often with memes: Their original creator is forgotten, and the person/group that popularized it is remembered as the author.Bison, on the other hand, has completely original lines.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I have no idea what you're talking about with blogs, but the only thing memetic about DNF was the "When pigs fly" bit. I didn't know Deadpool was memetic, either. Funny, yes. Popular, yes. But I don't think he was so easily encapsulated into a few small, well-remembered sound bites that he became memetic.:w:

Blog master is a meme now?

Maybe. Well, a few people have copied it into recordings etc, which I certainly didn't expect. It's probably not widespread enough to fully qualify, though. (Is there an official measure of meme-itude?)I think the official definition of "meme" is just any behaviour that's passed from one individual to several others, whether it be singing nursery rhymes, dancing the macarena, or putting silly captions on pictures of your cat.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I'm slightly extremely disturbed by the MLP presence. I don't hate it, but it does make me inexplicably sick that men watch this.

I agree expect that I am VERY VERY extremely disturbed and I hate it. It's a show made for girls. I could rant about this in more detail but I'd probably get banned so I'll leave it at that.
Well, this is a forum dedicated to a toyline that was marketed to children ages 6-12....
And here's a meme for you, my good sir. :biggrin:
Ya but heres the thing. Bionicle wasn't made with intentions to just be for girls like MLP was. Plus I'm 15 and the cans of the sets(from 2006 on I think) say something to 16 so I'm still in that range. It's not like I play with them anyways. Edited by -Knight Rider2000-

Ya but heres the thing. Bionicle wasn't made with intentions to just be for girls like MLP was. Plus I'm 15 and the cans of the sets(from 2006 on I think) say something to 16 so I'm still in that range. It's not like I play with them anyways.

So MLP was made with girls in mind. ...And...your point? MLP is targeted at girls, as Bionicle is targeted to boys, but I doubt Hasbro cares who's buying their toys so long as someone is buying them.The total hypocrisy here just really amuses me. There are plenty of people out there who would mercilessly mock guys like you or me for liking a toy line aimed at the pre-teen demographic at our ages, regardless if it's targeted for boys or girls. Are they wrong? Absolutely, and you have every right to stand up for your interests and tell them so. But to turn around and say "Yeah, but I'm not like those freaks" kinda rubs me the wrong way.

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

Subsitute MLP for girls.Whats wrong with liking girls? Nothing.Same thing - whats wrong with liking MLP? Nothing. Males watching it watch it because they enjoy it, even if their doing it for "I like messing around".I don't see the problem with it, how you are sickened by people liking it is just past me.

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013

Ya but heres the thing. Bionicle wasn't made with intentions to just be for girls like MLP was. Plus I'm 15 and the cans of the sets(from 2006 on I think) say something to 16 so I'm still in that range. It's not like I play with them anyways.

>/)<So what if MLP was made for girls? It's the 21st century for Celestia's sake. It's a time where females are allowed to like masculine stuff and males are allowed to like feminine stuff.Shouldn't be a problem at all.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

>/)<So what if MLP was made for girls? It's the 21st century for Celestia's sake. It's a time where females are allowed to like masculine stuff and males are allowed to like feminine stuff.Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Whoa whoa whoa.What? Males actin girly, normal?###### NO!But MLP isn't super girly. If they would watch it, they'd see.

I'd say it definitely is super-girly, but that's okay because it's not terrible.Anyway, I realize I'm late to the party on this, but:

I didn't even know we still had hippies.

Sure, like those people who say red ink can't be used to mark incorrect test answers because "it'll make kids feel bad". Or the ones who demand things like not updating the scoreboard in a blowout because "the losing kids will get embarrassed". It sickens me.
That's awful and all, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite of the "let everyone do what they want" mentality.Also, to Alyska: Alice's and Cinderella's movies are both from the Fifties, and Belle is from the Nineties. By no means are they early Disney heroines. Edited by Wrinkledlion X

Just look at your banner: Sparkly butterfly wings on a fashion-designer unicorn named Rarity. That's pretty over-the-top girly. Not that that's a complaint—the in-your-face girliness is the biggest part of the show's charm. MLP sticks out from most programming aimed at young girls because it can tell a story with conflict, well-defined characters, and a sense of humor. It's clear that love went into the creation of this show, whereas most cartoons aimed at that demographic are miserable and soulless.

Just look at your banner: Sparkly butterfly wings on a fashion-designer unicorn named Rarity. That's pretty over-the-top girly.Not that that's a complaint—the in-your-face girliness is the biggest part of the show's charm. MLP sticks out from most programming aimed at young girls because it can tell a story with conflict, well-defined characters, and a sense of humor. It's clear that love went into the creation of this show, whereas most cartoons aimed at that demographic are miserable and soulless.

Actually, I agree with most of that. I just don't watch it because it's girly, that's all. Again, I never said it was a bad show, merely a girly one. Yes, it was funny (more than many so-called "cartoons", actually), but it's girly - the only reason I don't watch it. Let's get this straight: I have nothing against pink or ponies. But when those things are associated with girls, and I'm a boy, I'm not going to touch them with a 45-kio pole. Edited by UltraHau

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Just look at your banner: Sparkly butterfly wings on a fashion-designer unicorn named Rarity. That's pretty over-the-top girly.Not that that's a complaint—the in-your-face girliness is the biggest part of the show's charm. MLP sticks out from most programming aimed at young girls because it can tell a story with conflict, well-defined characters, and a sense of humor. It's clear that love went into the creation of this show, whereas most cartoons aimed at that demographic are miserable and soulless.

...######.Your right... About my banner. I need to change it.

But MLP isn't super girly. If they would watch it, they'd see.

from what various bronies are saying, I'm starting to think it's more of the theme that is "girly", not the stuff in it

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Mmm...it depends on what you define as "girly". If your definition of girly is something along the lines of "lame", then no, I don't think it's girly. :P If you mean it's pink and glittery, then...well, the toys are, the show not so much. It's colorful, but it's not in-your-face pink and fluffy like the old incarnations of MLP were. If by "girly" you mean more that all the characters are girls, it's very colorful, and everyone is pretty friendly and while there is conflict it's on a level suitable for little kids, then yeah, it's girly.In my opinion, MLP is a pretty feminine show, but that stems from my own idea of what "feminine" means, which differs from person to person.

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

• 2 weeks later...

Mmm...it depends on what you define as "girly". :P If you mean it's pink and glittery, then...well, the toys are, the show not so much. It's colorful, but it's not in-your-face pink and fluffy like the old incarnations of MLP were. If by "girly" you mean more that all the characters are girls, it's very colorful, and everyone is pretty friendly and while there is conflict it's on a level suitable for little kids, then yeah, it's girly.In my opinion, MLP is a pretty feminine show, but that stems from my own idea of what "feminine" means, which differs from person to person.

yeah, thats what i meant :confused:

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Is this entire topic about ponies

ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7

ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7

pc_rancorous.gif GO READ RETIREMENT BY KABOOKIE, ZONIS, KORTU, ME, DREIKEN, EMKAY, CABOOSE AND BOSTWIK. CLICK HERE. pc_rancorous.gif

Is this entire topic about ponies

No.
mostly, with small mentions of other memes
What are these "other memes," of which you speak?

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

You know, I'm trying to figure out how this topic has survived so long. XDI don't believe a lot of people have succumb to the power of memes, but some of have joined the pony side. :P

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

You know, I'm trying to figure out how this topic has survived so long. XDI don't believe a lot of people have succumb to the power of memes, but some of have joined the pony side. :P

In Soviet Russia, meme finds YOU!

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Wow... I quess this is one of the topics that won't die.Oh what the heck... In Russia one pony can feed entire village. (The real meaning is not what you might think.)

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif