Official 2012 Set Discussion

Mesonak

I haven't been seeing the Summer sets in stores- I've been depending on Amazon for this stuff. Of the heroes, I'd say that Stringer is my favorite. They really emphasized the whole "sonic power" theme. Those loudspeaker parts could be used for a "toa of sound" MOC... My only gripe is the hollow back. Ugh.
Definitely agree. IMO LEGO should give a bit more attention to smaller sets.
It's not a matter of attention. There's just only so much they can afford to include in sets in the lower price points. The higher price points aren't just about the sets being taller-- if you look at Rocka, Breez, Furno, etc., you can see that they do in fact have more equipment overall than the smaller sets. Personally, I'm quite impressed at how much the smaller sets have been able to include. As for back armor, that's a fairly easy modification to make if you have the right pieces. Personally, I came up with a style (front, side) which works well on both 2.0/3.0 and Breakout-style torsos, provided you have an MTIS in one of the set's colors as well as those two Technic parts used to attach it. But a simpler back using a 1.0 or 2.0 Hero foot also looks decent in most cases, and works with more Heroes including those like Furno who have extra equipment on their back or shoulders.
I can't really decide on who to get: Stringer, Nex, or Thornraxx. Who should I get?
Though I don't have the others, I'd say Stringer. Thornraxx has an interesting and unique build though, if that interests you. And the most off-putting thing about Nex is the fact that both of his arms have guns.Kalhiki
I don't tend to think of Nex's non-launcher weapon as a gun. The shop.LEGO.com description calls it a precision laser cutter, and I indeed think of it more in terms of use as a close-quarters precision tool and not as a ranged weapon. Furthermore, Nex could probably use that heavily-armored arm for melee combat just as easily as Evo's "tank arm".

I don't tend to think of Nex's non-launcher weapon as a gun. The shop.LEGO.com description calls it a precision laser cutter, and I indeed think of it more in terms of use as a close-quarters precision tool and not as a ranged weapon. Furthermore, Nex could probably use that heavily-armored arm for melee combat just as easily as Evo's "tank arm".
Okay, so it's a lightsaber. :PStill, the design of the weapons just don't really work for me. Sure he has a hand, but it's not very visible. Unlike say, Surge, who also has two weapons, but his hand is clearly visible as it's holding his lightning sword.Regardless, Nex still looks good. And I'm debating on whether I want to get him or XT4 first.Speaking of the heavily armored arm on Nex, I love the way it mimics Evo's Tank Arm. Even if it may not have been intentional, it's a cool way to show that they're still "related" (since they were the first two to use the 2.0 system story-wise, I see them as brothers).Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

Oh man, I really want Core Hunter, but the sales for the winter sets are great. Just $16 to get Rocka and Reapa, the two sets I want but never got.I forgot to mention that I also want Bulk, simply because of the large amount of pieces included.

Edited by Akuna Toa of Sonics

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

That update wasn't really much. It's just a bit of new content but it's still nice. Unfortunately, I still can't find out how Core Hunter got his core hunting job/hobby even with the bio updates.
Not that much? :o The new product animations are awesome, the frontpage has updated, and the bios and gadgets & gear pages contain slightly more subtle humor angled toward TFOL and AFOLs as well as the usual enjoyable but childish humor. Also, the Heroes for this wave have updated bios for the very first time, while all other heroes bios have stayed the same since their release. Also, we finally have our very first canon information about XT4, Pink Eye, or "Xtra Tough with 4 Arms, whichever you prefer. (Maybe he should have been called XTW4A?) I thinkt he updates are awesome!

Kind of surprised that with all the Hero Factory site updates, the new combi model building instructions aren't up yet. I guess we'll still have to wait a bit on those.
Actually I believe they are... some of them at least.http://herofactory.lego.com/en-us/BuildingInstructions/6221/6221.aspxYou'll have to scroll down the siderbar on the left to see them, but they're definitely there.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Kind of surprised that with all the Hero Factory site updates, the new combi model building instructions aren't up yet. I guess we'll still have to wait a bit on those.
Actually I believe they are... some of them at least.http://herofactory.lego.com/en-us/BuildingInstructions/6221/6221.aspxYou'll have to scroll down the siderbar on the left to see them, but they're definitely there.
Oh, OK! Thanks. I was used to the combi models appearing above the regular sets' building instructions. I might try to build some of these once I'm up at college.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if we even know there is an episode. On another site, someone said it aired in Korea, but we're still waiting on information about that.Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

so i got Voltix and he's pretty awesomebuuuuut he was really in need of some modifications so PICTURES YAAAAY123and an extra for funbasically gave him more gunmetal, lengthened his arms, and got rid of that random tentacle
I like how he has actual hands now. It looks more like his show appearance. Also, how did you put the lights in the face in image 4?

pWPTu7m.jpg

so i got Voltix and he's pretty awesomebuuuuut he was really in need of some modifications so PICTURES YAAAAY123and an extra for funbasically gave him more gunmetal, lengthened his arms, and got rid of that random tentacle
Best Voltix moderator I've seen to date. Not that I mind his tentacle at all, but I think the wires look so much better plugged into his wrists than onto those Y-joints the set uses for hands, and the gunmetal feet and back armor don't hurt his appearance either.

I got Core Hunter, and he's tied with Toxic Reapa and Rotor as my favorite Hero Factory set so far. I like the new variant of thornax launchers-they fit Hero Factory's technological theme better than the launchers used to fling fruit and intended to be simple.

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

So far I've almost got all the breakout sets. All that's left is Core Hunter who I desprately want. Breez, Bulk, Stomer Xl, and Speeda Demon.On another note. To me the Matchups of Heroes and Villians is decent. But this is how I would have done itRocka Vs Black Phantom- The way it was done in the show was really goodFurno Vs Speeda Demon- Furno already had a bike. Why give Stormer a bike if he is already an XlBreez Vs Thornraxx- I have no problem with this matchupStomer Xl Vs Core Hunter. If a villian is going around stealing hero cores. Send an Xl hero since they would have more power and tools to do the job)Evo Vs Toxic Reapa- I have no problem with this matchupNex Vs XT4- I have no problem with this matchupSurge Vs Splitface- I have no problem with this matchupStringer Vs Voltix- I have no problem with this matchupBulk Vs Jawblade- Had to put him somewhere. I basically just switched the matchups of Stomer Furno and Bulk so Furno would face Speeda Demon

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Personally, I like your matchup with Bulk and Jawblade. Bulk seems to fight water characters (Vapour), so Jawblade fits (and yes, I know Vapour was a one time deal, but the fact that Bulk was chosen to fight the water based character sticks in my head).Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

• 3 weeks later...

"Coming January 2013! All-new versions of the same Heroes we've been releasing every six months for over two years!"Oh, joy. Rapture.At least the villains sound potentially interesting. I'm already a bit excited for Scarox and Pyrov, but Bruizer sounds like just more steriotypical dumb muscle. Time will tell, I suppose."But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

"Coming January 2013! All-new versions of the same Heroes we've been releasing every six months for over two years!"Oh, joy. Rapture.At least the villains sound potentially interesting. I'm already a bit excited for Scarox and Pyrov, but Bruizer sounds like just more steriotypical dumb muscle. Time will tell, I suppose."But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"
Ummm... no. There was no Rocka in the mid-2012 wave. There was no Furno in the mid-2012 wave. It might feel like we're getting Furno after Furno after Furno, but we're really not, and since he is one of the main characters of the show it's understandable that they wouldn't want him to have a multi-wave hiatus.Meanwhile Rocka has been in one additional wave since his introduction. All of the 2010 Hero characters as well as Nex have been in at least three waves. Furno, Stormer, and Bulk have been in four waves each. I understand some people are tired of Furno and Rocka, but really unless TLG wanted to start with a whole new team of heroes (which I certainly wouldn't want, since there's so little character development in the show and thus the little we have gotten is precious) then there's no way they could have any heroes that one person or another wasn't bored of.

Ummm... no. There was no Rocka in the mid-2012 wave. There was no Furno in the mid-2012 wave. It might feel like we're getting Furno after Furno after Furno, but we're really not, and since he is one of the main characters of the show it's understandable that they wouldn't want him to have a multi-wave hiatus.Meanwhile Rocka has been in one additional wave since his introduction. All of the 2010 Hero characters as well as Nex have been in at least three waves. Furno, Stormer, and Bulk have been in four waves each. I understand some people are tired of Furno and Rocka, but really unless TLG wanted to start with a whole new team of heroes (which I certainly wouldn't want, since there's so little character development in the show and thus the little we have gotten is precious) then there's no way they could have any heroes that one person or another wasn't bored of.
True. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that the cast of protagonists is in need of expansion--not a complete overhaul. Instead of using the same nine Heroes over and over and over, why not have a few waves consisting of three or four new Heroes supplimented by two or three familiar faces? It wouldn't be too unwieldy, since they release two full waves every year, and it would be a great improvement, since it's been over a year now since they've given us a new protagonist."But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

True. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that the cast of protagonists is in need of expansion--not a complete overhaul. Instead of using the same nine Heroes over and over and over, why not have a few waves consisting of three or four new Heroes supplimented by two or three familiar faces? It wouldn't be too unwieldy, since they release two full waves every year, and it would be a great improvement, since it's been over a year now since they've given us a new protagonist."But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"
I'm a bit on the fence about whether I want to see more new characters. Eventually of course I would stop wanting to see the same characters over and over, and I would absolutely never complain about a new character if they were unique enough in personality. More female characters would receive no objections unless they were all effectively retreads of Breez's personality. It should not be ignored that the trend in Hero Factory has been never to have any hero on hiatus for more than one wave, so (if we are to consider six heroes and six villains the absolute maximum) we could afford up to three more heroes.But at the same time, I like the current team of nine. For the most part sticking with these familiar characters lets us see slight glimpses of character development we might not get with newer characters, and depending on how the waves are set up we could see different character interactions each wave (for instance, in Savage Planet Furno's characterization was shaped by his rivalry with Rocka, whereas in Breakout it was his mentor role to Evo that really defined him). Given how very weak many of the episodes have been in terms of characterization, there are thousands of story opportunities with the current nine heroes that haven't been used whatsoever-- for instance, we haven't seen the flirtatious Nex on a team with Breez in any story medium.If we did end up seeing new hero characters as sets, I wouldn't mind having them be existing hero side characters who have had very little characterization, such as Lucas Valor, Merrick Fortis, or Nathan Slick. But brand new characters could be just as interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Voltix moderator I recently made. Basically, I condensed his color scheme down to purple and gunmetal, plus a few red highlights, gave him hands, an electricity weapon, and replaced the electric pieces on his head with red tooth pieces. Also, I removed the blue tubes.http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bkebert/volt/voltixrevamp.jpg

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Voltix moderator I recently made. Basically, I condensed his color scheme down to purple and gunmetal, plus a few red highlights, gave him hands, an electricity weapon, and replaced the electric pieces on his head with red tooth pieces. Also, I removed the blue tubes.http://www.majhost.c...oltixrevamp.jpg
To me, this just looks very boring in comparison to his original form. The toned down color scheme and removal of interesting parts makes him look like a hero with a weird head.

doom4revalt.png

Voltix moderator I recently made. Basically, I condensed his color scheme down to purple and gunmetal, plus a few red highlights, gave him hands, an electricity weapon, and replaced the electric pieces on his head with red tooth pieces. Also, I removed the blue tubes.http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bkebert/volt/voltixrevamp.jpg
Without the blue tubes, and with no electricity pieces anywhere but as his weapons, Voltix is tremendously boring. The electricity theme he has going is the main reason his color scheme in the original set is even remotely tolerable, and you've almost completely eliminated that theme. I can't say I'm impressed. The one thing I like is the weapon, though it isn't enough to make the figure itself exciting.Does he still at least have his voltage booster switch, or did you strip that away as well?

You took away too many of Voltix's distinguishing features like the cords and electricity on his head. The whip is okay but the thing on the left hand looks a bit weird. Also, it doesn't really look like Voltix anymore. Edited by FrozenFlash

pWPTu7m.jpg

Voltix moderator I recently made. Basically, I condensed his color scheme down to purple and gunmetal, plus a few red highlights, gave him hands, an electricity weapon, and replaced the electric pieces on his head with red tooth pieces. Also, I removed the blue tubes.http://www.majhost.c...oltixrevamp.jpg
Cave Johnson would never approve of such a boring design!

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

So... What's you guys opinion of core hunter?( I just got him. And possibly a probationary black belt)

Edited by rahkshi guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

So... What's you guys opinion of core hunter?( I just got him. And possibly a probationary black belt)
After looking at him, looking at a Skrall makes you want to go "ewww.....why?"

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

After looking at him, looking at a Skrall makes you want to go "ewww.....why?"
I dunno; I still like the Skrall. I think they were supposed to look gangly, and they used some creative construction to achieve that look. Core Hunter, on the other hand, is supposed to look buff, with heavy-duty yet refined armor designs. Both sets look evil, but they are deliberately very different in style.Core Hunter and Stronius would be a more appropriate comparison, but Core Hunter is meant to look futuristic while Stronius is meant to look primitive, so there are still great differences in the two aesthetics. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

• 2 weeks later...
Well, it looks like the January 2013 sets are up on Brickset. Does this mean we can discuss them now?"But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"
Those pictures are still leaked, so no. In fact, they have been deleted from their original source (possibly on LEGO's request).-Gata signoff.png

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

It's better that a new colored Bumblebee every two or three months.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

• 3 weeks later...

I was a bit disappointed to see that there were absolutely no Hero Factory sets mentioned in the Late Holiday 2012 product catalog. I know Lego wants to push their more popular lines at the end of the year, but it still annoyed me.

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits