The Movie You Saw Last

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I still love that series.

• Upvote 2

t5pQDlO.jpg

:i:   :n:  :a:   :r:   :y:

X-Men: Apocalypse

I fail to understand how people can say that this movie is the worst superhero movie ever. Have they even seen BvS?

I thought this movie did everything right. While it did introduce plot lines that will come up in future installments, it did not let those moments take away from the main objective. I also watched this movie without remembering everything that happened in Days of Future Past, but I feel that this movie was able to stand on its own, unlike CA: Civil War where nothing will make sense unless you have seen every movie in the series.

^ BvS is not that bad and I thought it more interesting than CA: Civil War, though the latter was more humorous.

Last movies I saw were Rocky 1 and 2, then a bit of 3. Seen them all in a row before, and I've seen the first one too many times and get annoyed by the end "Adrian!?" "Rocky!" exchange.

Besides, when I think of the name Adrian, I think of Watchmen...

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

• 3 weeks later...

Escape from New York - thirty years old and it still shines. The synth score is brilliant and timeless - it doesn't feel eighties at all. 

True Grit (the 2010 version) - A brilliant western, well-shot, well-acted and well-made. I think it could have been adapted a little better from the novel, but the Coen Brothers did a tremendous job on this one.  

Edited by Erasmus Graves

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

They Call Me Trinity - an excellent send-up of the Western genre (particularly the Spaghetti Westerns). It reminds me a little of Oakley Hall's superb novel Warlock - which itself was made into a film - except Trinity is less gritty with more slapstick and a gentler type of humour. While Warlock cunningly demythologises the Wild West, stripping away the illusions with grit and dark humour, They Call Me Trinity sends up its cultural depictions by poking fun at them.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - Steve Martin's suspense comedy which utilises clips from '40s film noirs to contribute to the narrative.

​A Few Good Men - A classic that hasn't lost its magic. Amazing performances all round. "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!".

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Rainy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. fun movie, though the talking purple orangatan is annoying. Funny the way her master always calls her a monkey. "MUHNKEEY!"

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

Deadpool. One of the best super hero movies out there.

Deadpool was outstanding, if occasionally cringe-worthy.

Believe the last I saw was Finding Dory with the in-laws. Good for what it is, not convinced it was worth the price of a theater.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

• 3 weeks later...

Halfway through Zodiac. One of the very best serial killer movies I've ever seen - as good as Manhunter, easily. Dave Fincher's a champion director.

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Rainy With a Chance of Meatballs 2.

Sounds like a cheap knock-off. :P

Anyways, watched The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King a few days ago. It's still good, but the action and fake-out endings kinda suck

I haven't heard this much blasphemy since Arias proposed his views at Nikaea and got punched by Santa.

Lat movie i watched was Julius Caesar, from the 1950's. Great acting, but the death scenes had no build up and no accompanying music to sell out its emotion.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian
  • Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Suicide Squad - Meh. It had some extremely cool CGI, Deadshot and Harley were okay characters, but overall I did not enjoy it and do not recommend it.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Absolutely phenomenal! I watched that movie dozens of times when I was a kid, and every song in the movie made me feel a crazy amount of nostalgia. It really is a fantastic film.

The Music Man - Another musical that I watched many, many times as a child. It was nice, and I think the flawed nature of Harold Hill didn't register with me way back when...

The Princess Bride - One of my favorite movies, I hadn't watched it in a few years and I loved it very much. Everyone should watch it at some point.

IetTsFQ.png

serenity. again!

​a really good sci-fi flick that is more enjoyable if you watch firefly beforehand. it's a joss whedon movie so obviously there's lots of one-liners and the like, but unlike his mcu work does not conclude with random city-wide destruction. in fact, the movie's third act is my favorite part--a big space battle, a duel and a final stand. a lot of cool stuff going on. and, of course, the infamous "leaf on the wind" scene. the movie inspired me when it came to writing a story i'm working on the first time i watched it at 3 am on a whim when it came on tv a few months ago, and now, after watching all of firefly and seeing it, it's inspired me again. there were thing i didn't like about the show that i don't find in serenity, so that makes me like it more. probably gonna watch it again soon.

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Finished Zodiac. Fincher's masterpiece - so glad Ellroy recommended it. RDJ and Mark Ruffalo were brilliant, and Jake Gylanhaal was pretty good.

Edited by Erasmus Graves

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border 1: Ghost Pain

That was a pretty excellent return to GitS. While it does lack the philosophical discussion, there's plenty of everything else that made the series great. I particularly loved the psychological thriller elements in this one. Definitely looking forward to watching the other three 'borders'.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Anyways, watched The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King a few days ago. It's still good, but the action and fake-out endings kinda suck

As a 12 year old kid watching it for the first time, and still to this day, I cannot understand this 'too many endings' complaint. I never once felt 'faked out' by anything in the third act, and feel like the third act playing out any other way would have been a disservice to the movie. There's almost 9 hours of storytelling that needed wrapping up, and I'm glad it wasn't done quickly. I'm glad all the main characters had their stories wrapped up, and still I would have preferred seeing what happened to Legolas and Gimli.

Finished Zodiac. Fincher's masterpiece - so glad Ellroy recommended it. RDJ and Mark Ruffalo were brilliant, and Jake Gylanhaal was pretty g

Zodiac does not get the love it deserves. Easily Fincher's best film, no question.

The last movie I saw was Eye in the Sky. Loved it. A very taught and well acted thriller.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

As a 12 year old kid watching it for the first time, and still to this day, I cannot understand this 'too many endings' complaint. I never once felt 'faked out' by anything in the third act, and feel like the third act playing out any other way would have been a disservice to the movie. There's almost 9 hours of storytelling that needed wrapping up, and I'm glad it wasn't done quickly. I'm glad all the main characters had their stories wrapped up, and still I would have preferred seeing what happened to Legolas and Gimli.

Finished Zodiac. Fincher's masterpiece - so glad Ellroy recommended it. RDJ and Mark Ruffalo were brilliant, and Jake Gylanhaal was pretty g

Zodiac does not get the love it deserves. Easily Fincher's best film, no question.

The last movie I saw was Eye in the Sky. Loved it. A very taught and well acted thriller.

I appreciate the wrap up, I just have a problem specifically with all the fade outs.

The Night of the Hunter. A great, eerie classic that is intentionally fragmented and tonally inconsistent. It boasts amazing, incredibly atmospheric cinematography and a powerhouse performance from Robert Mitchum. Heck, I don't think there was a single bad performance in it. Only problem that I found hard to forgive was that the tonal inconsistency brought about by the POV-switches was really jarring.  

Edited by Erasmus Graves

I appreciate the wrap up, I just have a problem specifically with all the fade outs.

Were there, though? Maybe it's because I only ever watch the extended edition, but the only fadeout I can recall is the one when Frodo and Sam are on the rock on Mount Doom. And I can't imagine anyone saw that fadeout and thought "Well, that's the end of the mov- oh wait no there's more."

I can see why people might initially interpret the pan up from Minas Tirith as an 'ending shot,' but I dunno, to me it was always a natural scene transfer. Even on my first viewing I never felt like I was mislead into thinking an ending was coming, only to be tricked. It ended exactly where I thought it would, with Sam's final words.

I've heard this criticism enough times that there surely must be some merit to it, but I've just never felt that way myself. :shrugs:

BZPRPG

Kubo and the Two Strings.

Everyone needs to see this movie. Mixes CGI with Stop-Motion, has great art, wonderful atmosphere and characters, immersive lore, and is very mature for an animated movie that is also okay for kids to watch. It gave me the feels, my eyes watering a couple of times from the art, the music, and story weight.  Also, first five minutes were pretty dark! After that, I was entrenched and sat tight.  It is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time and I will be buying this movie on Blu-Ray when it comes out.

It's about a one-eyed child who must face the servants of the Moon King (a god that rules the heavens in the night realm) and gather holy relics to face him before said ruler can steal his other eye.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Watched Thor: The Dark World on Monday night. I guess I liked it, I definitely appreciated Christopher Eccleston and his role in the film. Though I do think I might've gotten more out of it if I watched the first one beforehand.

Before that, I saw the remake of The Nutty Professor at a friend's birthday party. It had some good moments but in the end it left me slightly annoyed. I'm not sure why...

Edited by CHTrilogy

~ CHTrilogy

• 2 weeks later...

Farewell My Lovely (1975). A proper neon-jungle Chandler adaptation. Not perfect, but definitely a great adaptation featuring a terrific performance from Robert Mitchum an intensely evocative '30s L.A.

• 3 weeks later...

Chopper. A classic Aussie crime/biopic with a dose of very dark humour. Its greatest strength - apart from Eric Bana's greatest performance and a very strong supporting cast - is that it feels genuinely realistic, despite some surreal moments. It's about 90% historically accurate - and in some ways portrays Chopper as worse than he was in real life - and is a first-rate example of Australian filmmaking.

Ms. Peragrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Good movie IMO, the eye-eating was pretty creepy though. And it took me a moment to understand the time loop stuff but once i did I was fine. i reccomend it.

Blue Streak - Stupid cop comedy, I found it enjoyable and funny.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 2 weeks later...

The French Connection. A bleak, Academy Award-winning crime classic. It's got one of the greatest car chase scenes of all time and some really good performances. It's almost as good as The Friends of Eddie Coyle - though the characters aren't as strong and the dialogue isn't as good. However, The French Connection is better paced.

Edited by Erasmus Graves