The Movie You Saw Last

Batman Begins - A great start, and very...epic.

The Dark Knight - Less epic, but a deeper and darker story. I'd rank it about the same with BB.

The Dark Knight Rises - Starts out slow, but later 'rises' into the best of the trilogy. Only sad part is it seems like Batman really is never coming back again.

>Dark Knight less epic

what is this i dont even

>Dark Knight Rises is the best

are you for real dude

only in dreams.

Happy Accidents - A movie about a girl who falls in love with a guy who claims he can time travel. Shenanigans ensue. It's one of those romantic dramadies where nothing should go right but everyone is happy in the end because, hey, its Hollywood! The two leads didn't have any chemistry, and the lead male's acting made him seem way to creepy and unstable to be believable in a relationship with someone who, as established by the movie, just doesn't trust guys. I give the movie points for being original, but I'm not sure I can recommend it.

Cabin in the Woods - As someone who doesn't like horror films, I found this one quite appealing with its metaphor. Every aspiring horror screenwriter should watch it and learn from it.

Monsters - Honestly, I'm not sure where to start here. For those not familiar, the movie takes place several years after an alien infestation in Mexico, and the movie is about a guy and a girl who journey through the 'infected zone' to get to America. It's like a combination of War of the Worlds and El Norte (complete with political commentary). But the film's biggest problem is that there's too much El Norte and not enough War of the Worlds. The film hardly even uses its premise. The first set piece with aliens doesn't occur until over half way through the film.

And I suppose that should be okay. The movie is, after all, supposed to be a story of how the two characters bond and so the aliens are irrelevant That's cool. I'd accept that. But the male lead is not likable in any capacity and the two characters have zero chemistry. It's not until they see two aliens 'kissing' in the film's climax that they suddenly decide they have feelings for each other. Since the script was entirely about this relationship and not the monsters, the relationship had to be believable, and it wasn't. As a consequence, their entire trip through the infected zone was entirely devoid of tension save for one scene.

I don't want to comment on the ending too much since it would be spoilery, but I'll just say that it was awful. The script writer made me feel like I legitimately wasted my time with this movie.

Despite my hammering, I recommend it. It's an original film with an interesting premise and so it deserves a watch just for that. But considering the bland script, I wouldn't say it's a good film. It's watchable, and to some extent appreciable, but not good.

Final Add-on: It would be rude of me not to point out how pretty the camera work was for this film. This guy really knows how to capture a scene.

Edited by Vorahk1Panrahk2
BZPRPG

Just finished watching the live-action movie adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin.

It was really good, far better than I even dared hope it would be. They captured a lot of what made the manga and anime great and I thought the movie covered the first arc/season very well with the two hours it had. And that soundtrack <3

However, as much as I liked it, did have some issues with it, the main one being Aoshi, or rather, the lack of Aoshi. Not only was it very disappointing that he wasn't in the movie, but I just can't see any reason for leaving him out, especially considering that they did include half of the Oniwabanshu. Actually, speaking of the Oniwabanshu, what was up with Hannya using guns in the movie?

Still, I loved it. Had a total fanboy moment when Kenshin used the Battojutsu towards the end.

Now I'm definitely really looking forward to the second movie, as the Kyoto arc/season is pretty much my favourite thing in any manga or anime.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Independence Day(Although I watched it on July 3...).

metroid.gif

"Why can't I dream that I'm alone?" "That is not a dream, that is a substitute for reality"

"So where is my dream?" "it is a continuation of reality"

"But where is my reality?" "It is at the end of your dream"

Just saw Despicable Me 2 yesterday, it was pretty enjoyable (even though I totally guessed the plot). I enjoyed the Minions a lot more then I thought I would.And I saw Monsters University last Sunday, it was okay- not one of Pixar's best, but definitely nowhere near the abyss of evil known as Cars...Anyways, Despicable Me 2 is definitely the better of the two.

Apocalypse Now yesterday. Dear lord, that movie was one of the darkest movies I've seen, and I've seen plenty of dark movies.

But still, it totally lives up to its reputation as a very good film.

Edited by Mr. House
I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

• 2 weeks later...

Pacific rim, awesome move.

If you think that godzilla is NOT awesome, you're either crazy,

or one of the many people who got trodden on while he was saving the world.

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature

^ Very nice. One of my favourite movies.

Watched The Myth last night. It was alright, but I felt like it didn't go far enough into what it was trying to explore and thus ended up being just another standard action movie. Which is fine, but still, the story had something going for it and just feels incomplete.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

The Serpent and the Rainbow

While it's certainly not one of the best horror movies, it is very, very good. It's a strange mixture of thriller, psychological horror and the supernatural. And it works.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I re-watched Public Enemies last night. Not a bad film overall, though I find I didn't enjoy it as much as I did a couple years ago when I first saw it. Maybe my tastes have just changed slightly, but really, it is a pretty depressing film. I also thought it had a lot of potential that it could've used but didn't. John Dillinger himself I felt wasn't fleshed out enough, though I don't know much about the actual Dillinger so perhaps that's just how he was, or what's known about him. I think it also suffered from trying to tell so much in the time it did, so it spent less time on character than it did just making sure to address a certain number of moments in his life. My favorite part of the film had to be Melvin Purvis (particularly Bale's portrayal of him), though I wish that he, too, had had more screen time, specifically for his character. I liked seeing some things about him, though, like how he definitely wasn't okay with some things his fellow FBI agents did, and he struggled with some of the things that he did allow but maybe didn't completely approve of. I think the last scene is particularly effective in showing a bit of Purvis' character, after the death of Dillinger and his reaction to that end and what that end cost (and the foreshadowing of this questioning his work when Dillinger tells him "you ought to get yourself another line of work, Melvin" earlier in the film and you can see how effected Mevlin is by that).

And last week I re-watched Spy Game, which is a more fun film to watch, in my opinion. I particularly love all the "training" scenes, with Redford teaching Pitt various spy craft.

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender