The Movie You Saw Last

You may be right on that one. One would have to be well induced to be able to follow and enjoy the plot line.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Ashes of Time

Probably one of Wong Kar-Wai's weaker films, although that doesn't mean much when even his worst films are still pretty good.

It's visually stunning as usual, has some very interesting dialogue and the telling of the story is sequenced in an engaging way, but it feels lacking as far as actual characters are concerned. Apart from the main character, they're not very fleshed out. Which in a way makes sense, since a lot of the movie is about how the main character meets and spends a short while with various people only to soon never see them again, and how he attempts to keep distant from them, but that doesn't stop it from feeling lacking.

Still, I enjoyed it quite a lot. It's interesting to see Kar-Wai work make a wuxia film, even if there's very little action in it for the genre, and the actual interactions between characters are very well done despite my complaints.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Oh, I forgot: Before Buckaroo Banzai, I saw the award-winning independent film, "Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan"

This was a great movie, and i am thankful that I got it for Christmas as i have been wanting to see it for a while now. Let me just say that i am thankful i did that completely voluntary report on pre-Ottoman/Osmanreich Turkish Peoples back in 12th Grade (High School Senior), because without that I would have wondered, who this 'Tengri' deity is, how does this culture work, etc. Anyway, the film centers around the early life of Temujin (or Temudgin, as the film spelt it; everything is in subtitles as they all spoke their native tongue), from birth, to exile after his father is slain by a rival tribe, making Temujin swear that he will unify the lands the ensure that all Mongols will be safe under a one world government. The rest of the movie follows his quest to pacify Mongolia and his struggle with a blood brother.

The character development in this film is excellent, the battles are good but not too bloody, and you can really see why the people of Mongolia and Khazakstan see Temujin (later given he crowning title High King, or Chengiz Khan of all of Mongolia) as a great and noble hero, but, if you know history, the man will fall from grace and become a walking contradiction, speaking of honor and commencing the death of millions of innocents if they do not give up their independence for Temujin's 'destiny' for 'world safety'. Which is funny, for all the people that was slain and raped at his hands (another contradiction, since he swears to his wife that he will only love her and take no concubines), the land he governed went from total war and fear of death to prosperous security (revolts were dealt harshly, even upon inhabitants that had nothing to do with the rebellion) and freedom of religion, something unheard of in the Medieval Age.

I give this movie a 4.5/5, and I cannot wait for the sequels to come out, how i get to see this exile turned noble hero transform into a tyrannical monster seeking world domination.

Fun fact: Chengiz Khan is the true way of spelling the aforementioned title. Genghis is an Arabic corruption, which because the lands surrounding Shinar are closer to England then the Gobi, we learned the name like that. :P

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Perfect Blue

A very interesting and surreal anime psychological thriller, exploring the boundaries between reality and imagination. Satoshi Kon definitely improved by the time he made Paprika, but Perfect Blue was a fantastic start to his directing career. It's grim and gruesome, always tense with some really interesting ways of building the narrative.

With the main character's deteriorating mental state the distinction between reality and imagination constantly blurs, as it becomes harder and harder to tell the two apart. Much like his later work, it's a film that's really great at screwing with the viewer's mind and that's what makes it so appealing.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

If I Stay

The main issue with the movie is that it tries to meld a coming of age story with a supernatural drama, and the director couldn't make it work. Not just because of the tonal shifts between the two stories, but because it required me to get invested in two compltely unrelated stories. Things get better in the third act when the stories start to become thematically relevant to each other, but by then it's too late to save the movie overall.

On top of that, the central premise of the movie is that the character has to decide wether she's going to go on living, or let herself die. And I'm not entirely sure the writing justified her final decision.

BZPRPG

Well I did just finish off the first Smokey and the Bandit. Wow Deja-vu. I am not sure but I think that was the last movie I posted here watching... I need a larger movie pool... Where is the "Movie I want to watch next" topic?

EDIT: Yep it was...

Well I'd have to say Smokey and the Bandit as I am currently still watching the second and it is not over thus "watched". They are at the part were "Frog" leaves Bandit because of the support net idea for the elephant.

Edited by Prowl Nightwolf

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

Wasted on the Young

The first 70 minutes function quite well as a no holds barred look at bullying and its reprecussions. The main problems are with the editing, which led to some confusion with the narrative, and the script which could have definitely used a little more polish. The first problem is easily thrown aside once you figure out who's who. The script problems are harder to ignore, but I think the director's approach to the material makes theme easier to swallow.

The real issues come in the last twenty minutes, when the screenwriters throws aside the story about bullying and segways into a weird revenge story that's more reminiscent of the Saw movies than the previous 70 minutes. It's a huge detriment to the rest of the movie because it doesn't make any intelligent statements about bullying or violence and instead exists just to shock.

So, all in all, not a bad movie, but one that badly needed some script revisions.

BZPRPG

Terminator Salvation

That movie was Epic! Some people disliked the absence of androids from the future killing people in the present and time travel in general, but I thought it was a good change. :) Not to mention i loved the homages they made to the previous films, especially the first Terminator. Overall, it was a cool movie to watch.

After that, I watched the third Terminator, then the second one. The first didn't pop up, which disappointed me and my backwards movie watching binge, but I did see the trailer for the fifth one. Genesys has an unneeded typo in the title, and the plot seems a tad confusing; like i got the plot (they revealed) in the trailer, but trying to explain it just felt like I was chucking day old mental poopies at my broham. :confused:

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

The King's Speech, one of my favorite all time movies. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Guardians of the Galaxy

Despite not being a fan of comic book movies, or action movies in general really, I have to say this one was a rollicking good time. It's humor, environments, and unique characters made it stand out from everything else we're getting these days in the genre. I have some issues with some of the unclear exposition, but after a while it wasn't too hard to figure what was happening. Very much enjoyed it!

BZPRPG

Interstellar. That movie was quite breath taking, the celestial sights and foreign planets, not to mention that black hole, are forever etched into my mind; and the use of predestination and the help of outside forces to aid a dying human race was great. Overall, it was just literally awesome: struck me with a sense of pure awe and wonder. And I absolutely loved that there were no noises in scenes that lacked oxygen, and how the chaotic sound of an explosion hit you like a wave as oxygen poured into the room.

There were some moments where I was just attached to my seat and forgot to breathe.

Edited by Iaredios
  • Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Cast Away.

I watched it a couple of times when I was a kid, but didn't get much out of it besides "plane crashes and guy learns to survive on island." What an amazing movie, the entire plane crash scene had me at the edge of my seat and there were a couple of tearjerker moments towards the end. Sorry Wilson. =(

It also reminded me of how much I love Tom Hanks, so I'm going to watch some more of his movies. I could go for some You've Got Mail right about now.

IetTsFQ.png

1980's Dune. It was a cool looking movie and epic in some parts (especially the ending), but overall I was sometimes lost and confused, also the ending seemed extremely abrupt compared to all the build up the movie had. I now have a slight headache from the movie. I recommend watching it, but only if you feel like putting all other thoughts out of the way and you are sure to have no distractions; if you miss one detail you will feel quite lost.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

Today I watched You've Got Mail and Mission: Impossible.

You've Got Mail was cute, the acting was silly over-the-top but I enjoyed it. When I was a kid we listened to the movie's soundtrack a lot, so it was fun to hear those happy tunes again.

I hadn't seen Mission: Impossible before, and I'm glad I finally watched it. That vault scene... :0 I'll definitely be watching the second one.

IetTsFQ.png

1980's Dune. It was a cool looking movie and epic in some parts (especially the ending), but overall I was sometimes lost and confused, also the ending seemed extremely abrupt compared to all the build up the movie had. I now have a slight headache from the movie. I recommend watching it, but only if you feel like putting all other thoughts out of the way and you are sure to have no distractions; if you miss one detail you will feel quite lost.

You know what's pretty much a 2015 version of Dune? Jupiter Ascending, which I just saw and is, contrary to other reviews, the BEST movie I've seen this year.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

The Raid 2: Berandal

More stylish ultraviolent martial arts goodness. Didn't like it as much as the first, but it was still really good.

There's more focus on story and characters this time around, and although that's nice to see, it's also mainly why I think it's not as good.

The first film had a simple and well executed premise. Even though the plot was little more than an excuse for all the action and violence, the way it all took place within a single building which the main character was trapped in made it carry a real atmosphere of isolation and desperation, which I feel added a lot to the film.

The Raid 2 on the other hand goes for a more fleshed out story and characters, and in the process loses the atmosphere and tension. It also doesn't help that the plot basically feels like a cheap imitation of films like Infernal Affairs.

Still, it does the job and it's not like anyone's watching The Raid for the story. The fighting is where its purpose lies, and it absolutely delivers in that regard. The fight scenes are still excellently choreographed, and often even more vicious than the original. At points they do require a rather strong suspension of disbelief, but are very fun to watch as a result.

Rarely is brutality so elegant.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark.

What an exciting movie. I'm going to watch the other three now. Then I'm going to watch all six Star Wars movies.

It is, until you realize that whether Indie was there or not, the Nazis were going to open that and die. He just put both himself and others at risk.  :P

Still a great movie.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

George Clooney was practically perfect for the main character.

Also, "Why are you tellin' our girls that I was hit by a train?"

"Well, lots of respectable people have been hit by trains."

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

Just earlier today I finally got around to watching Birdman.  Everything about it was absolutely phenomenal, and it definitely deserved its Best Picture win.  10/10.

TheGeekIgnika, the caffeinated cyber-ninja.  Or just some idiot with a computer.  You choose.

If I sounded like a geek in this

post, you are correct.

"Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection.  It means never having to play it cool about about how much you like something.  It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult.  Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg

99% of BZPower has grown out of this pointless fad. If you're part of the 1% willing

to cling to it out of an irrational pseudo-nostalgia, copy and paste this into your signature!

Everybody is entitled to an opinion.  Even me.

• 4 weeks later...

Tootsie. I've always seen the beginning but not much after that. The big reveal was quite hilarious. :lol:

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

It's not a movie, technically, but I watched the unaired pilot for a Clerks sitcom last night. Some madman managed to find it and put it on the internet.

Being... well, me, of course I watched it.

It was bad. Really bad. Not as bad as hyped, but still pretty awful. Was absolutely nothing like the film- nobody from it was involved in the pilot, which made everything just... surreal to watch. It was effectively Saved By The Bell with... well, trying to be Clerks.

hElbrZ6.gif

Last film I saw was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It was an interesting film, in that the acting was mostly overdone, the pacing was all over the place, and the score was kind of generic. That being said, the costumes were all really good, and it's one of the closest adaptations of the original book that I've seen. So it was entertaining enough.

"Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."

10,000 BC.

Honestly, I love the atmosphere of how primeval civilization is at the time, and the including of ancient animals (the 'mythological monsters' of old that we held great hunts to rid the world of; they were very well done). Other then that, the movie was a steaming pile of crapoleon. Can't there be something like this and be both historically accurate and well made? Shouldn't be that hard, just crack open a friggin book, man.

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

• 3 weeks later...

Avengers Age of Ultron.

Before that... Avengers Age of Ultron.

DITTO.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

rewatched most of Interstellar with my parents. that went about as well as expected. walked out about two hours in because I got tired of explaining every scene to them.

You should have told them to leave while you just bask in it's awesome glory.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

rewatched most of Interstellar with my parents. that went about as well as expected. walked out about two hours in because I got tired of explaining every scene to them.

You should have told them to leave while you just bask in it's awesome glory.

It's. IT'S. IT'S.

*its

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.