Exclusive BIONICLE Art Piece - Help needed!

Dorek

welp, I just got 20 bucks, and Im thinking of donating it all to this.

You're a bit late my friend, the fundraiser has already reached its total successfully.

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

welp, I just got 20 bucks, and Im thinking of donating it all to this.

You're a bit late my friend, the fundraiser has already reached its total successfully.

Bummer, I was traveling to a different state for a research study last week and didn't have the chance to donate. Has a decision been reached on the character to be drawn?

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

How long should that take? I sure hope it's Lesovikk! I'm so anxious to see what won!

Ditto! I hope he replies soon with a positive answer... the anticipation is killing me! :P

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's been nearly two weeks... I don't want this thread archived in case there is something going on... but if there isn't, what then? D:

So, it's been nearly two weeks... I don't want this thread archived in case there is something going on... but if there isn't, what then? D:

I don't think that the revival policy applies in the BS01 subforum. I know we don't really care who revives stuff in the Ninjago Wiki subforum, but that's just us. But if anything happens, the BS01 staff will update us, and if the topic is dead by then, they can revive it themselves or post a new one. No need to prevent it from dying. :)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Sad news, everyone.[/Farnsworth].

Apparently given our time to collect the money and decide on what to do, our request got lost in the shuffle. We're on top the next time he opens a commission list, but we don't have a firm date on whenever that would be. Anybody who would like a refund is obviously entitled to one, and if not I'll just store the money until we get another (or similar) chance.

That's a letdown.... Well, I didn't donate, so I guess I haven't really lost anything. Bummer for those who did donate though.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Well, as long as you keep a list of those who donated, you can keep my money. That's too bad though, any estimation of the time?

Seems like he does a few every year, so maybe around summer time, if we're lucky?I'm looking into alternatives as to what we can do to have some kind of other picture. I'll keep everybody posted.

Oh well, I would have liked to suggest Artakha or the Mask of Creation. Then we would've finally gotten some canon depictions. The reason for this is not only that I love this character so much, but also that I believe some very important things and characters and their appearance should not be made through MOCing, which even have limitations on what can be done especially when it come to unseen, important, major/big characters, and people like Artakha haven't been seen illustated canonically yet.

Just a geeky guy trying to learn the craft of writing stories.

So would anybody actually like to see another artist doing the drawing? I've been looking into a few other ones, and I can't say that there's another artist available, but if I could find one of the original BIONICLE artists, would people be interested in changing that? Or would people prefer to wait until D'Anda is available again, whenever that would be?

• 2 months later...
He's still pretty busy unfortunately. I wish I had something more. As I mentioned, anybody who would like a refund is welcome to it, but I'm also totally fine with holding onto it. It's just languishing in my paypal account as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Some gracious opportunity, if we have to pay such an exuberant price for it. If I were him I'd draw darn near anything if someone offered me that kind of money.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

• 2 months later...

I really hope this works out

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Things may be a-happening soon, folks. I'll keep you posted.Also, got some posts axed from the topic, it seems, because of the downtime. I remember most of what went down (not much =P) and it doesn't affect anything in particular, but if somebody thinks they made a super excellent point that I NEED to know, shoot me a PM. Or repost it. Or whichever! Edited by Dorek

• 2 months later...

Again, that much money for a drawing is totally ridiculous. Some great fan artists would happily draw one of the characters like that for free.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Again, that much money for a drawing is totally ridiculous. Some great fan artists would happily draw one of the characters like that for free.

Again, it's supply and demand. Artists with a portfolio as impressive as Carlos D'Anda are in high enough demand that they can charge those kinds of prices. BIONICLE fans are hardly the only people who want to commission artwork from him. The fact that people commission artwork from him at all suggest that a number of people DO value his work at the prices he charges.

Furthermore, people who do art as a hobby will often take free requests for fun and practice. People who do art as a profession typically already get most of the fun and practice they can hope to get out of art from their regular work. Commissions on the side, then, are to help supplement their income. And art, whether as a hobby or as a profession, can cost a lot in time and materials like inks and pencils. If you get less than $7.25 for each hour you spend drawing, you're making less than minimum wage.

Needless to say, an artist who has as much experience as D'Anda and who is in such high demand should be able to expect much more for their time and effort than a casual artist who doesn't get a lot of requests and who feels rewarded just by being able to put another work in their portfolio.

There's a comic I read once where a client asks an artist/designer something along the lines of "Why am I paying you $200 for something you could do in two hours?" The artist's response is "Because it took me ten years to learn how to do this in two hours." That sums things up nicely, I think. A person's experience and credentials increase the value of their time and effort.

Now, is it worth it for BS01 to pay this kind of price for a drawing? Depends on your perspective. I'd personally agree with you that it's not. As a reference site, BS01 doesn't technically need any images that don't already exist, particularly of characters who have already been depicted perfectly well, just not in the form of a non-CGI illustration.

Unlike in the case of individual ownership of artwork, the value of images to a free reference site is not measured in monetary value, but rather in how well they help the reference site perform its mission. BS01's mission, as I understand it, is to catalog official information and images about BIONICLE. And despite Carlos D'Anda being a former BIONICLE comic artist (key word: former), a BIONICLE artwork by him that was neither commissioned nor approved by the LEGO Group is not actually any more official than your average piece of fan art. But I guess a number of people feel otherwise.

Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

• 4 weeks later...

He's not just a fan artist, he's a professional artist. Methinks you aren't aware of much about the art industry, because that isn't much for a commission at all. He's not some dA kid with a tablet. He's charging about a tenth of what it should cost.

signature.png

• Upvote 1

signature.png

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the price is realistic, but that just puts into question whether this commission would really be worth spending that kind of money. Art is art, whether it's by a professional or an amateur, and likely there wouldn't be much of a variation in quality either way. Like Aanchir said, it isn't like we don't know what these characters look like. I guess if D'Anda was producing an original and canon design of a character like Lariska who we do not have any official image of, then it might be a little more valuable, but paying that much still seems unnecessary.

I guess the price is realistic, but that just puts into question whether this commission would really be worth spending that kind of money. Art is art, whether it's by a professional or an amateur, and likely there wouldn't be much of a variation in quality either way. Like Aanchir said, it isn't like we don't know what these characters look like. I guess if D'Anda was producing an original and canon design of a character like Lariska who we do not have any official image of, then it might be a little more valuable, but paying that much still seems unnecessary.

We already have pictures of rural landscapes for example, yet people still buy professional artwork of them. It's art— it's something to admire. Whether it's a character we have pictures of or not, it's unique and it's something that many people appreciate.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I don't think I've seen anything on this forum that's ever made me quite as angry as this.

Art is art. You know, it's not like people spend decades of their life training and learning to do this stuff, art is art! Same dang thing if you draw a scribble or if you practiced everday since you were ten to do it! and shoot if it only takes you a few days whyzit cost so much goshdern it! Just cuz you spend yer life learning the skill ain't mean nothin'!

Edited by InnerRayg
  • Upvote 8

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Have there, by any chance, been any more updates on the status of the commission?

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

I don't think I've seen anything on this forum that's ever made me quite as angry as this.

Art is art. You know, it's not like people spend decades of their life training and learning to do this stuff, art is art! Same dang thing if you draw a scribble or if you practiced everday since you were ten to do it! and shoot if it only takes you a few days whyzit cost so much goshdern it! Just cuz you spend yer life learning the skill ain't mean nothin'!

...talk about rudely dismissive of any other opinion. Whether or not you agree with it I think my opinion has some reasoning behind it and should be respected. I've expressed my opinion politely, could you all please be polite back?

but ok, I've made my point and I'll stop. You all are right, D'anda should be able to charge as much as he wants and you should spend your money however you want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We need a canon picture of Artahka!

Unfortunately that's impossible without a picture getting approval from the BIONICLE story team, which is essentially disbanded. No artist has the authority to create a BIONICLE character design and declare it "canon", whether they worked on the BIONICLE comics or not.