LEGO Friends discussion topic

Aanchir

This is a topic to share your thoughts on LEGO Friends. I'm personally very interested in these sets from both a sociological perspective and a design perspective, though I don't collect them myself. I sure am tempted by some of the amazing designs, though!High-res pics of the summer sets were posted to cache.LEGO.com recently. Here are some links!41005 Heartlake High

• [*]
alt1[*]alt2[*]alt3[*]alt4[*]alt5

41006 Downtown Bakery

• [*]
alt1[*]alt2[*]alt3[*]alt4

41009 Andrea's Bedroom

• [*]
alt1[*]alt2[*]alt3[*]alt4[*]alt5

41010 Olivia's Beach Buggy

• [*]

41013 Emma's Sports Car

• [*]

41015 Dolphin Cruiser

• [*]

Older LEGO Friends sets can be seen on Brickset.Which of these sets is your favorite? What other settings and subject matter would you like to see in LEGO Friends? Share your thoughts!

You really should have linked to the smaller images. I opened them all at once while on 4G and it took forever to load...

Anyways, Heartlake High looks cool, but certainly nothing like any high school I've seen. :P

The bakery has some cool pieces.

Not much to say about the bedroom. Nothing spectacular, but good for a small set.

The buggy is pretty cool. It has some cool pieces in some cool colors.

The sports car is quite odd-looking. It has good pieces in the set, but the car just looks strange, especially that little bit of cheese slope window oddly-placed in the front.

And that boat is awesome.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to like these sets. They seem to lack a solid color scheme, there are too many loose parts on the final product, and (this is just a taste thing) there is too much lavender and pink. Ugh. Eye-revolting.

The beach buggy set might have some redeeming qualities, mostly the stylized palm tree and the purple buggy (purple!) but it still suffers from too many colors that detract from any sort of coherence.

I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to like these sets. They seem to lack a solid color scheme, there are too many loose parts on the final product, and (this is just a taste thing) there is too much lavender and pink. Ugh. Eye-revolting. The beach buggy set might have some redeeming qualities, mostly the stylized palm tree and the purple buggy (purple!) but it still suffers from too many colors that detract from any sort of coherence.

Personally, I think a lot of the color schemes are plenty harmonious. I certainly find them more appealing than the color schemes of Paradisa (one of the girl-oriented sets of my childhood) which was characterized by white and gray buildings with occasional splashes of pink, usually on light green grass with occasional light yellow beaches. That was a theme that took the stereotype "girls like pastel colors" and went about it in a way that just made everything look washed-out.Heartlake High is an example of a set that I feel has a good color scheme. It sticks to three main colors -- cool yellow, medium azur, and medium lavender -- which balance each other out quite well. Door- and window-frames are left reddish brown, with doors and windows themselves in white.Likewise, the Dolphin Cruiser is primarily white and medium azur with flame yellowish orange and light purple (bright pink) accents. It feels to me not unrealistic for an actual yacht, and certainly no more chaotic in color scheme than a similarly-sized LEGO City or Ninjago set might be.I can understand how pink and lavender colors might not suit everyone's fancy, but personally I appreciate the amount of these colors in LEGO Friends, since they appear so rarely in other themes. In fact, as I discovered recently when trying to see whether a large-scale My Little Pony sculpture might be possible in LEGO, a great number of colors, including ones like cool yellow and flame yellowish orange that have been around since 2004, are very, very rarely used for basic bricks and plates. LEGO Friends is helping to change that, and (IMO) it's doing it tastefully.

Personally, I think a lot of the color schemes are plenty harmonious. I certainly find them more appealing than the color schemes of Paradisa (one of the girl-oriented sets of my childhood) which was characterized by white and gray buildings with occasional splashes of pink, usually on light green grass with occasional light yellow beaches. That was a theme that took the stereotype "girls like pastel colors" and went about it in a way that just made everything look washed-out.

I'll agree with this; the only thing worse than pink is gray on pink. White on yellow is also rather distasteful.

Heartlake High is an example of a set that I feel has a good color scheme. It sticks to three main colors -- cool yellow, medium azur, and medium lavender -- which balance each other out quite well. Door- and window-frames are left reddish brown, with doors and windows themselves in white.

With the notable exception of the off-putting dark blue on yellow near the roof. Also, I'm not a big fan of the white on brown on yellow. I'll admit that it looks every bit the schoolhouse building, but the rule that "school buildings must be ugly" doesn't have to be followed to the letter.

Likewise, the Dolphin Cruiser is primarily white and medium azur with flame yellowish orange and light purple (bright pink) accents. It feels to me not unrealistic for an actual yacht, and certainly no more chaotic in color scheme than a similarly-sized LEGO City or Ninjago set might be.

Having rode a boat like this once IRL, I can well assure you that this boat's color scheme is quite unrealistic. However, given the target audience it is entirely understandable.

I can understand how pink and lavender colors might not suit everyone's fancy, but personally I appreciate the amount of these colors in LEGO Friends, since they appear so rarely in other themes. In fact, as I discovered recently when trying to see whether a large-scale My Little Pony sculpture might be possible in LEGO, a great number of colors, including ones like cool yellow and flame yellowish orange that have been around since 2004, are very, very rarely used for basic bricks and plates. LEGO Friends is helping to change that, and (IMO) it's doing it tastefully.

To each his or her own, I suppose.

Edited by fishers64