Legends of Chima constraction sets 2013

Aanchir

Along with LEGO Friends pics and some LEGO City pics, high-res pictures for the upcoming Legends of Chima constraction sets were recently put on cache.LEGO.com:70200 CHI LavalPackage70201 CHI ErisPackage70202 CHI GorzanPackage70203 CHI CraggerPackage70204 CHI WorrizPackage70205 CHI RazarPackageEach set will cost $14.99 USD, and each set has between 55 and 68 pieces.What are your thoughts? Overall, I'm very impressed. The models are cohesive, well-armored (at least half of the figures have back armor, and only Cragger has any armorless limb beams, which he uses for stylistic reasons), well-armed (none of the sets use a paw/claw as a substitute for a weapon, and all those with paws have fingers to hold their weapons), and imaginative. Naturally a lot of this detail comes at a cost -- they're a bit pricier than a typical medium-sized Hero Factory figure -- but in my opinion it's well worth it.

Thanks for the pictures! Im not really interested in Chima, but I gotta say, these sets do look impressive! They also come with some nice new pieces and recolors which is great for mocing so I might pick up like 2 or 3? Not all bc I do think they are a bit expensive, but I can understand why :)

Edit: I might get those Ape/Gorilla and Wolf sets.

Edited by AdaptingChaos

Some of the helmets look a little goofy, but I like the wing design on the ones that have it. Nice use of dark green (is that the first we have seen in that building system?) and purple. Bit expensive, though - that's a lot to pay for the helmet styling.

Edited by fishers64

Some of the helmets look a little goofy, but I like the wing design on the ones that have it. Nice use of dark green (is that the first we have seen in that building system?) and purple. Bit expensive, though - that's a lot to pay for the helmet styling.

Not the very first-- Ogrum, one of the sets from the first wave of Hero Factory sets in 2013, has 3M shells and 8x5 torso shells in Earth Green (Dark Green) just like Cragger does. But it is probably the best parts pack so far for that color.It's not just the head styling (I think they're molded heads versus helmets, though I may be wrong) that bumps up the price. Again, the number of weapons and the number of figures with details like articulated paws and back armor probably has something to do with that. But of course the number of painted/printed parts, including the heads, is definitely a factor.And yeah, this wing design definitely works quite nicely compared to previous attempts in Hero Factory, or even compared to anything I've been able to achieve on LDD. And it does it so simply, too! It's nice enough that I can forgive Razar and Eris for having near-identical builds.

The first three don't do much for me (in the way of colors or overall look), but they are still pretty well done.

Eris still looks too much like a man.

I will definitely be getting Razar and Cragger. Cragger for parts and Razar because he looks like the most well designed of the sets in my eyes. Also because purple.

Perhaps I will buy worriz too. Time will tell.

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

From these new pics. I can confirm that Craggar will have a poseable jaw.

I was originally going to get Laval and Razar. But now I think I'll get Laval, Worriz and Gorzan instead. I'll wait for reviews on the sets before I make my final decision

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

*Looks at first picture*

Please tell me they're not bringing back the "Magical Shield" thing from Knight's kingdom :P

But hey, we get a lot of Exo-Force Robot arms, so that's nice, I guess.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I'm not overly fond of Laval, Worriz, or Eris. Laval only has the gold to offer, and the only interesting parts of Worriz are the dark red armor pieces. Eris looks like a dude. I'd probably just get these guys for the parts.

Cragger, Gorzan, and Razar are the only ones I think are worth getting for the overall aesthetics. I get the impression that LEGO put some actual thought into these three, and just cobbled together Laval, Worriz, and Eris as a side thought.

signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Really wish they kept the croc blades from Cragger's proto figure.

sailor_moon_banner.jpg

Tired of broken BIONICLE sets? Support the Remolded Sockets Service Pack project by Kon1 on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17500

Want more female characters to stand with you BIONICLE or HF collection? Support Bunyip's Constraction Line for Girls project on CUUSOO http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/6801

*Looks at first picture*Please tell me they're not bringing back the "Magical Shield" thing from Knight's kingdom :P

Pretty sure the reason for that (other than just to add a bit of flair to the flat, undecorated shield) is to conceal the Medium Stone Grey stud on the shield from the flick-fire missile which is used (quite effectively, I might add) to attach it to the "paw" piece.

I'm not overly fond of Laval, Worriz, or Eris. Laval only has the gold to offer, and the only interesting parts of Worriz are the dark red armor pieces. Eris looks like a dude. I'd probably just get these guys for the parts.Cragger, Gorzan, and Razar are the only ones I think are worth getting for the overall aesthetics. I get the impression that LEGO put some actual thought into these three, and just cobbled together Laval, Worriz, and Eris as a side thought. signoffffff.png

This is almost certainly not the case, since Laval (being the main character of the theme) would probably be one of the first characters the designers created. A preliminary version that was leaked a while back was slightly more complex, with custom feet and digitigrade legs, though opinions differ on whether this was effective from a design perspective.As far as I can tell, TLG put actual thought into all of them. But how much thought was put into a model does not always correspond to how complex or detailed the model is. With action figure sets in particular, often the earliest prototypes are immensely complex and detailed, and the thought that goes into them is a matter of finding ways to make them simpler that make efficient use of existing pieces. Having seen some Hero Factory Breakout wave 2 prototypes in last year's Toy Fair press kit, I can assure you that the prototypes of Stormer XL, Core Hunter, XT4, etc. were ridiculously complex. That isn't to say that they were better than the final models, though-- they felt cluttered more than anything else, much like the majority of early BIONICLE prototypes.Anyway, my point is that Gorzan and Cragger are more custom than the rest because they presented unique design challenges that demanded unique torso builds, whereas the others did not. Well, Eris perhaps did, being a female character, but that might have been a design challenge that was not possible for the designers to really meet at this budget, since at this scale it would more likely than not require new pieces or a far more intricate build.

*Looks at first picture*Please tell me they're not bringing back the "Magical Shield" thing from Knight's kingdom :P

Pretty sure the reason for that (other than just to add a bit of flair to the flat, undecorated shield) is to conceal the Medium Stone Grey stud on the shield from the flick-fire missile which is used (quite effectively, I might add) to attach it to the "paw" piece.

>I'm not overly fond of Laval, Worriz, or Eris. Laval only has the gold to offer, and the only interesting parts of Worriz are the dark red armor pieces. Eris looks like a dude. I'd probably just get these guys for the parts.Cragger, Gorzan, and Razar are the only ones I think are worth getting for the overall aesthetics. I get the impression that LEGO put some actual thought into these three, and just cobbled together Laval, Worriz, and Eris as a side thought. signoffffff.png

This is almost certainly not the case, since Laval (being the main character of the theme) would probably be one of the first characters the designers created. A preliminary version that was leaked a while back was slightly more complex, with custom feet and digitigrade legs, though opinions differ on whether this was effective from a design perspective.As far as I can tell, TLG put actual thought into all of them. But how much thought was put into a model does not always correspond to how complex or detailed the model is. With action figure sets in particular, often the earliest prototypes are immensely complex and detailed, and the thought that goes into them is a matter of finding ways to make them simpler that make efficient use of existing pieces. Having seen some Hero Factory Breakout wave 2 prototypes in last year's Toy Fair press kit, I can assure you that the prototypes of Stormer XL, Core Hunter, XT4, etc. were ridiculously complex. That isn't to say that they were better than the final models, though-- they felt cluttered more than anything else, much like the majority of early BIONICLE prototypes.Anyway, my point is that Gorzan and Cragger are more custom than the rest because they presented unique design challenges that demanded unique torso builds, whereas the others did not. Well, Eris perhaps did, being a female character, but that might have been a design challenge that was not possible for the designers to really meet at this budget, since at this scale it would more likely than not require new pieces or a far more intricate build.

What did the prototypes of the breakout wave 2 sets look like. What were the major differences?

I do like the look of these. I can't really say which are my favorites, or which ones are on my to-buy list, but they do look quite nice.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'm not overly fond of Laval, Worriz, or Eris. Laval only has the gold to offer, and the only interesting parts of Worriz are the dark red armor pieces. Eris looks like a dude. I'd probably just get these guys for the parts.Cragger, Gorzan, and Razar are the only ones I think are worth getting for the overall aesthetics. I get the impression that LEGO put some actual thought into these three, and just cobbled together Laval, Worriz, and Eris as a side thought. signoffffff.png

I get that. I'm just saying that those three just feel a little incomplete or, in terms of the heads and oversized paws, just a little ridiculous. The large hands work on Gorzan, but for the others that use the paw piece, they just seem too big and out of place. There are other aesthetics of them (especially Laval) that just don't seem to work for the characters, but I'm not sure how to describe it. Perhaps when I see some reviews that give me a better look at them I'll change my mind, but in the end, I still think Laval just looks goofy.

signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

Incidentally, they're up on shop.LEGO.com in some countries (Germany and Switzerland for sure, but maybe others as well). Nothing much new in the product descriptions except that they will, in fact, have combi models, though as is typical of Hero Factory and other constraction themes, the instructions will be online only, and they haven't been put up just yet.

Incidentally, they're up on shop.LEGO.com in some countries (Germany and Switzerland for sure, but maybe others as well). Nothing much new in the product descriptions except that they will, in fact, have combi models, though as is typical of Hero Factory and other constraction themes, the instructions will be online only, and they haven't been put up just yet.

There also availabe to buy. Wonder if we'll be seeing reviews of them next month.

Hmm, all I see in-front of me, are new parts and good recolors for MOC's xD But I do like the looks of Craggar, Razar and Worriz, yet all in all, after a few days, they're either gonna be scrapped or revamped :P

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5560715 -Self-MOC

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5560714 -Secondary Self-MOC

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5587302 -Core Hunter Revamp

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=5560723 -Duncan Bulk Revamp

''When Darkness has come, the Light will truly shine''

''When Makuhero is in scraps...you have my permission to FRY Heroes!''

• 3 weeks later...

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

Okay, the bad, first: I'm not a Chima enthusiast, myself. Also, I'm not a fan of Lego's unyielding use of the open-shell armor on HF's standardized skeleton. It looked good when the 2.0 sets were released, because, well, it was new- but it's been repetitive and boring ever since, and doesn't sit well with non-robotic beings. This is the reason the Super Hero construction sets (Iron Man, Batman, etc) look, IMHO, awful.

Now, the good: it saddens me to say it, but this line has succeeded in set design where consecutive years of Bionicle failed. Each character is unique, color co-ordinated, lacks lame-looking launchers tacked onto it, captures the personality of who it portrays, and encompasses a variety of dissimilar builds. It's the Glatorian approach, and it's awesome. If I was ten years old and a Chima fanboy, I'd probably be all over these. Cue applause, TLC, cue applause.

Lastly, the ugly. I'm very disappointed that TLC made Lions one of the "Good Guy" species, and Wolves one of the "Bad Guy" species. Anyone who knows anything about Wolves knows that they're not vicious, they don't attack and eat people, and they have one of the most family-oriented social structures of any animal - similar to Apes, but completely dissimilar to Lions, who are self-interested loners like all other cats. (and this is coming from a self-proclaimed cat person!)

Just my twenty cents :P

- Heir

Edited by Heir of the Chronicler

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly... Okay, the bad, first: I'm not a Chima enthusiast, myself. Also, I'm not a fan of Lego's unyielding use of the open-shell armor on HF's standardized skeleton. It looked good when the 2.0 sets were released, because, well, it was new- but it's been repetitive and boring ever since, and doesn't sit well with non-robotic beings. This is the reason the Super Hero construction sets (Iron Man, Batman, etc) look, IMHO, awful.

Personally, I think Hero Factory shells (at least, the ones that lack conspicuous mechanical textures) look way better for organic beings than BIONICLE shells ever did. They're smooth and curved, and the sharp angles they have work fine as a stylistic decision just like how some 2D cartoons might go for a more angular aesthetic.

Now, the good: it saddens me to say it, but this line has succeeded in set design where consecutive years of Bionicle failed. Each character is unique, color co-ordinated, lacks lame-looking launchers tacked onto it, captures the personality of who it portrays, and encompasses a variety of dissimilar builds. It's the Glatorian approach, and it's awesome. If I was ten years old and a Chima fanboy, I'd probably be all over these. Cue applause, TLC, cue applause.

I hadn't really thought much about these Chima sets as they stand up to BIONICLE sets, but I had noticed they go above and beyond a lot we've seen in Hero Factory. For starters, all but Eris and Razar who have wings built onto their backs have back armor, which sets them apart from many Hero Factory figures. Additionally, in Hero Factory, it has typically been common for a character to have articulated fingers or weapons, but not both. With these Chima figures, Gorzan wields a club in addition to his articulated hands, and Laval and Worriz both get claws in addition to a sword AND a shield. I don't have any bias against launchers myself, but you're definitely right that the sets' lack of launchers helps set them apart from post-2004 BIONICLE sets. Overall, the sets just feel a lot more well-rounded than the typical Hero Factory figure or even the Super Heroes constraction sets from last year. Of course, all these features do come at a premium as far as price is concerned. No BIONICLE canister sets or medium-sized Hero Factory sets were ever quite as expensive as these sets' $14.99 price point.

Lastly, the ugly. I'm very disappointed that TLC made Lions one of the "Good Guy" species, and Wolves one of the "Bad Guy" species. Anyone who knows anything about Wolves knows that they're not vicious, they don't attack and eat people, and they have one of the most family-oriented social structures of any animal - similar to Apes, but completely dissimilar to Lions, who are self-interested loners like all other cats. (and this is coming from a self-proclaimed cat person!)

I always hear these kinds of complaints any time LEGO uses animals as symbols or anthropomorphized characters in their work. Personally, I think something to keep in mind is that from a storytelling perspective, the symbolic or traditional associations these animals have is far more important than their real-life biology. Lions have long been a symbol of royalty (and by extension, leadership and order), while wolves have been a symbol of the untamed wilderness (even in ancient Rome, where they were a celebrated part of the country's founding myth). Plus, keep in mind that whether a creature is harmful or aggressive to humans is irrelevant in a fantasy universe where there are no humans. You make a good point about wolves' social structures, but even their reputation as pack animals has not earned them much sympathy in our literary, cultural, and mythological traditions. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Personally, I think Hero Factory shells (at least, the ones that lack conspicuous mechanical textures) look way better for organic beings than BIONICLE shells ever did. They're smooth and curved, and the sharp angles they have work fine as a stylistic decision just like how some 2D cartoons might go for a more angular aesthetic.

In principle, I'd agree, except it's not the shells themselves I have an issue with- it's the massive, gaping hole their design leaves between the shell and the skeleton. Were the shells more, well, solid, they'd simply have a better aesthetic to them, especially on non-HF sets.

However, I do agree on all accounts in regards to Chima's set quality- I hadn't put that much thought into it! I'd say the superior construction makes them well worth a few extra dollars. And, while I'm well aware that LEGO chose the animal's roles based on their traditional perception in our cultural psyche, my entirely personal gripe is founded in a highly influential children's toy company furthering misconceptions about an endangered species. But, as I said, that's an entirely personal gripe (and yes, I know Lions are endangered, too ;) )

- Heir

LfkQ2ln.png

Click the banner. You know you want to.

Shia Lebouf would tell you to just do it.

In principle, I'd agree, except it's not the shells themselves I have an issue with- it's the massive, gaping hole their design leaves between the shell and the skeleton. Were the shells more, well, solid, they'd simply have a better aesthetic to them, especially on non-HF sets.

Guess that's where personal opinion comes in, I suppose. Aside from torso shells, which often merit some kind of back armor, I don't find the gaps in the back of Hero Factory shells any more conspicuous than, say, Technic pin holes and axle holes, or even the anti-studs on the back of minifigure legs. Regardless, it's a necessary part of the design since molding a solid block of plastic just doesn't work-- the parts won't cool properly and may become deformed. This, in addition to price, is why LEGO animals like horses and dragons are pre-assembled from multiple molded sections, and why so many BIONICLE parts like Toa Mata and Toa Metru torsos had a framework-like surface texture.Also, let's not forget that the only more LEGO action figures that were much more naturalistic were of course the Galidor figures, and to do that they sacrificed nearly everything that made them a building toy. All in all I'd file the open back of Hero Factory shells under "acceptable sacrifices". But as I said, it gets into personal opinion whether this totally voids their use for non-robot characters.

unpopular opinion: i think these sets are beautiful and i want them all now. olive green, trans-blue, and dark red? yes please.

however, $15 is way, waaaay too much--i may not buy any of these if i can't get them for less than the list price. it's the reason i've unfortunately had to avoid the Super Heroes sets completely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These figures look quite interesting, in my opinion. It's a shame they don't all have articulated hands, only half do. I also don't like Eris and Razar, they look bare and underdeveloped compared to the rest. The others are great though. I won't buy any of them regardless, but they look promising.

xoTlRfR.png

Banner by jed1ndy

"Master of Shadows and Game-running Compliants, Ǝɹsɐʇz Ԁᴉɹɐʞɐ ᴉu qlɐɔʞ' No˙ 999, Vezon of the Twighlight"