Kikanalo food mix up

I was reading some bionicle books earlier one was the rahi guide one and island of doom. When I noticed according to Bionicle: Rahi Beasts Kikanalo eat protodermis they dig up but in Island of Doom Balta I think tells Hakann that they eat plants before Hakann destroys them. So which is canon Kikanalo eating plants or protodermis or are the kikanalo on Voya Nui like a different sub species then the Metru Nui ones? On BSO1 there is no mention of the Voya Nui kikanalo eating plants. So can someone please clarify this.

wearewaiting.gif

I am Talo last of the toa of the lost element of AWESOME.

As far as I know, nobody ever noticed this or bothered to ask for a clarification. Most likely Greg simply forgot what he'd said previously when writing whichever came later. :)

We could easily chalk it up to habitat though. Po-Metru isn't the greatest place to find plants. Maybe plants are their preferred diet, yet a habitat like Po-Metru is also preferred and if they can't get both they'll go for the desert? And then dig up "protodermis". Voya Nui is somewhat barren but plants are closer by, and the right material might not be available for digging.

Though what type is meant by protodermis may be questionable... if it does say "eat" then it must be some edible type of solid proto, distinct from the protodermis of the sand/dirt/whatever. Otherwise I would assume liquid. And if it doesn't say "eat", then it may simply mean liquid proto -- water. So if that is right, it could mean "they dig for water" which makes sense in a desert.

Subspecies is possible, but seemingly unlikely..

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I found the two books mentioned here! In 'Rahi Beasts', the Kikanalo page mentions that the Kikanalo churn up the ground and dislodge "bits of protodermis lost during the carvers' labours". It doesn't mention eating them, so I grabbed the more recent edition of the Bionicle Encyclopedia. That also mentioned digging up protodermis, but not eating it. So I don't think they actually eat the protodermis.

In 'Island of Doom', page 32, it doesn't specify Kikanalo. It merely says 'Rahi'.

"The area Hakann indicated was one of the few inland areas of the island that supported any vegetation. A thick bed of flowering plants somehow managed to survive the hostile terrain and flourish, much to the delight of the Rahi who came there to feed."

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

As simple as my answer would be,

why not both, i mean i'm sure the reason why both are different is because well Greg may of just forgot, but I say why not both. Animals tend to change the way they do stuff depending on location. So i just stand by that.

485585_528817960493060_1878734144_n.jpg

The protodermis that kikanalo dig up would have to be both solid and edible. Here's from the BS01 page for catapult scorpions:

The Catapult Scorpions eat solid Protodermis, so their preferred hunting method is to follow Kikanalo herds and eat whatever their horns dig up.

If it's edible for catapult scorpions, it is reasonable to assume that it is also edible to kikanalo.

ppg2.png

Unless they are a type of Rahi with a strong digestive system. Like, able to eat different types of food from nature.Or it could be like what gunconvoy said. Adaptation could play a bit part in their diet. Like on earth, similar species of animals live in different ecosystems and eat different types of food, but the species are very similar.

I found the two books mentioned here! In 'Rahi Beasts', the Kikanalo page mentions that the Kikanalo churn up the ground and dislodge "bits of protodermis lost during the carvers' labours". It doesn't mention eating them, so I grabbed the more recent edition of the Bionicle Encyclopedia. That also mentioned digging up protodermis, but not eating it. So I don't think they actually eat the protodermis.

In 'Island of Doom', page 32, it doesn't specify Kikanalo. It merely says 'Rahi'.

"The area Hakann indicated was one of the few inland areas of the island that supported any vegetation. A thick bed of flowering plants somehow managed to survive the hostile terrain and flourish, much to the delight of the Rahi who came there to feed."

On a page before that when Hakann first arrives and talks to Balta and asks "What kind of rahi is that" Balta then tells him that they are Kikanalo and they eat plants when they can find them. Then Hakann disintegrates them and says they were blocking his view. Also why would the kikanalo dig something up the protodermis for no reason except to eat it which is what I assumed? Perhaps the kikanalo are omnivores but instead of eating plants and meat they eat protodermis and pants.

Edited by Toa Talo

wearewaiting.gif

In the bionicle rahi guide, it says that they eat plants, but dig up little scraps of protodermis with their horns while they're running, which catapult scorpions eat.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

On a page before that when Hakann first arrives and talks to Balta and asks "What kind of rahi is that" Balta then tells him that they are Kikanalo and they eat plants when they can find them. Then Hakann disintegrates them and says they were blocking his view. Also why would the kikanalo dig something up the protodermis for no reason except to eat it which is what I assumed? Perhaps the kikanalo are omnivores but instead of eating plants and meat they eat protodermis and pants.

Oh, yes. Page 12-13 notes that Kikanalo eat plants "when they can find them". So they can eat plants. Sorry about that!

And perhaps the Kikanalo dig up protodermis to get at roots, as Dralcax suggested?

Actually, if we think about the fact that the catapult scorpions eat what they dig up, and the nature of the catapult scorpion itself- they're very hostile, and consider every other Rahi as a threat- it might be a sort of tradeoff between the Kikanalo and the catapult scorpions. The Kikanalo are pretty intelligent, and maybe they worked out that if they occasionally dug up some protodemis for the scorpions, the scorpions wouldn't try and attack them as much. The Rahi Beasts book remarks that the scorpions consider everything to be their enemy except Kikanalo.

Of course, that sounds rather convoluted, still.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

It's a bit odd that it would say they actually dig, with horns, while running. Is that correct? Or is it just that the act of stampeding creates vibrations that make the bits come loose and maybe become exposed by claws scraping dirt away as a side effect of the leaping method of travel?

If the latter, it would seem to have nothing to do with Kikanalo eating, and it would just be the scorpions doing that. Even if they actually dig them up, while running, that's a very odd time to be eating... Am I missing something here? :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Rahi Beasts says "Using their mighty horn, they churn up the ground, dislodging bits of protodermis lost during the carvers' labors. The bionicle encyclopedia says They use their horns to dig up bits of protodermis left behind by the Po-Matoran carvers. Biosector01 says the same thing. So why would they dig it up I know catapult scorpions eat the protodermis they dig up unlike some relations between animals in the real world where some species of animals help each other the catapult scorpion does nothing for the kikanalo. Which still doesn't solve why the kikanalo dig it up.

wearewaiting.gif

So, those sources say nothing about digging while running? Maybe they run a while, stop to dig, then run somewhere else?

So, those sources say nothing about digging while running? Maybe they run a while, stop to dig, then run somewhere else?

I was puzzled a little by that, too. No, the Rahi Beasts book (which I assume is the book mentioned in the original source) doesn't contain any reference of digging while running. It says that villages get stampeded in the process, but I think that may be due to Kikanalo not really caring where they dig.

Also, it'd be a little hard to dig with your horn (as is mentioned in the book) while running. You'd have to be able to turn your head 180 degrees around, I think.

Maybe they stick their horn in the ground and push against the ground rapidly, plowing through the ground?

Also, where is the source for this? I have never heard of this before. Sounds like a strange conjecture off the Kikanalo BS01 page which has no storyline basis. :P Although if it is true that Kikanalo stampedes dislodge proto, I would say it's because of the force of the stampede, not their horns, and they might dig up proto using their horns when they are not stampeding. Good?

Maybe they stick their horn in the ground and push against the ground rapidly, plowing through the ground?

Also, where is the source for this? I have never heard of this before. Sounds like a strange conjecture off the Kikanalo BS01 page which has no storyline basis. :P Although if it is true that Kikanalo stampedes dislodge proto, I would say it's because of the force of the stampede, not their horns, and they might dig up proto using their horns when they are not stampeding. Good?

I have no idea where "Kikanalo dig while running" came from, but "Kikanalo dig up protodermis with their horns" comes from the book 'Rahi Beasts', on the Kikanalo page. It mentions that Kikanalo "trample" villages in the process, but not them digging up protodermis with their stampedes. It could be that they're rushing into the village to dig at leftover protodermis in the ground.

In the bionicle rahi guide, it says that they eat plants, but dig up little scraps of protodermis with their horns while they're running, which catapult scorpions eat.

According to this individual, it's from the Bionicle Rahi Guide. Does anyone have the book and can confirm/deny this?

I have the book, and no, that's not what it says. It says:

Using their mighty horn, they churn up the rocky ground, dislodging bits of protodermis lost during the carvers' labors.

It says that, but nothing about doing it while stampeding. And nothing about that on the Catapult Scorpion page, just that they follow the Kikinalo for protodermis.

Does it say they then eat it?

I'm wondering if they're churning it to look for other stuff, maybe like worms, or rootlike plants not visible on the surface, to eat, and the solid material comes up as a side effect. It makes sense the Catapult Scorpions would eat solid proto, since they shoot magma out of their tails. But if Kikanalo eat something else, it could just be a side effect.

Or maybe they both eat it and they churn up more than they need. :shrugs:

Is it possible they do it purely to "befriend" the Catapult Scorpions, as a defense mechanism? We haven't factored that Greg said Kikanalo are unusually intelligent. Maybe they're doing something like what ants do with aphids (though a bit different); maybe they're intentionally feeding the scorpions, so they won't be enemies, and thus if any enemies of the Kikanalo come near they'll be attacked by magma-shooting giant bugs? :P

So it might not comment at all on how they get food. They might travel to the occasional oasis, grab fish in a canal, or dig edible things they eat up. Maybe even visit Ga-Metru's forested reasons when they're hungry, making the plant-eating bit fit them here too.

Is it possible they do it purely to "befriend" the Catapult Scorpions, as a defense mechanism? We haven't factored that Greg said Kikanalo are unusually intelligent. Maybe they're doing something like what ants do with aphids (though a bit different); maybe they're intentionally feeding the scorpions, so they won't be enemies, and thus if any enemies of the Kikanalo come near they'll be attacked by magma-shooting giant bugs? :P

So it might not comment at all on how they get food. They might travel to the occasional oasis, grab fish in a canal, or dig edible things they eat up. Maybe even visit Ga-Metru's forested reasons when they're hungry, making the plant-eating bit fit them here too.

I posted about that earlier. In fact, pretty much the exact same thing you just said. So, uh... yeah, that could be a legit thing. And good to see that someone's had the same idea as well!

As I said earlier, if we think about the nature of the catapault scorpion (it's hostile) and the fact that it considers everything BUT Kikanalo to be enemies, it'd seem pretty smart to be feeding a creature to keep it on friendly terms with you.

Ga-Metru has a forest?

Yep; see here:

http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Gallery:Metru_Nui#Ga-Metru

I posted about that earlier. In fact, pretty much the exact same thing you just said. So, uh... yeah, that could be a legit thing. And good to see that someone's had the same idea as well!

As I said earlier, if we think about the nature of the catapault scorpion (it's hostile) and the fact that it considers everything BUT Kikanalo to be enemies, it'd seem pretty smart to be feeding a creature to keep it on friendly terms with you.

Lol, sorry I missed it then. :P