BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

Alright, so there was something I wanted to ask of you people, mainly in the interest of comparing notes, so here goes:

How much thought do you tend to put into where exactly you want your character to go? After personality (the most important part) and skillset comes a character's goals and motivations, no? The things they strive for and desire to achieve in their life.

For me, this is mostly a very open area. Rather than having the steps to the desired end result be planned out (and oftentimes not even a particular "end" in mind) in advance, I rather take the route of shaping a plot through interaction and working with the character's personality and, y'know, just see what happens.

I suspect this is because of me being more of a "character" guy than "plot" guy when it comes to storytelling.

It has worked very well for me so far. But I wonder how the rest of you approach this?

I care (almost) nothing about plots.

I like to create my character, use him/her/it for a while, the just let them run around for a bit and interact with other people, and get the most out of him/her/it because I feel like that's the way to do it when I role play.

For example Syvra, I knew that when i created him i wanted his name (or more correctly his alias) to be at least one day be known and recognized with acts of evil. What he does to get that far I have not the foggiest clue, just that I want that to be his goal.

I get more enjoyment out of the interactions between characters than I do seeing a plot progress.

Actually sort of similar in this regard; I've normally got one or two plot points I want my characters to hit along the way, but I'm not too fussed about how it happens. And if doesn't work out, well, it doesn't work out.

(i mean, i'll spend a couple weeks crying in a corner if that's the case, but whatever i'm fiiiiiine :3)

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

I always set some kind of a plot goal for each of my characters, but let the path there take shape in the game itself. It's hard to plan ahead in a game where others are involved, and I think that's a good thing. Enriches the story and characters.

I loved compiling the adventures of Henkka and Alex into their own books, because I saw how well other writers had developed the story in the BZPRPG and how interesting all of their characters were. And even with all the unknown variables my characters still reached the intended goal.

Needless to say, I have plans for my current characters as well. If we'll ever reach the end of this plot, that is.

I find myself in a fairly unusual position here. I put a great deal of focus on both character and plot -- character comes first, and then I will create a fair number specific plot points for them to reach that cater to their character and developing it. What happens in the middle I allow to develop on its own, but all my characters have always had plot checkpoints to ht along the way. Xerov/Aerus is the biggest example of this, not only because I suspect that by now he's the closest I have to a well-known character or 'main' character among those I've created -- he wasn't originally going to become involved with the Followers of Makuta, but he was always going to go through the events in the jam I had with a few other RPers last season, Journey's End, and there are events for this season that I have had planned for him since I first thought up the character. I think that having good characters is an important thing, but knowing how you'll make them better is only a little behind it.

- Indigo Individual

Edit: Edited to clarify that my original statement wasn't as to the nature of my position being unusual (as most of the people who have spoken up have said similar things), but that the number of plot points and how specific they are is unusual. I have very exact ideas on what I want to happen, when and how in terms of the characters, as opposed to general ideas I allow to shift as the plot develops. Although how specific they are can be a problem, usually I manage to find a natural place for them by changing the smaller details, often making it better in the process.

Edited by Goose

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I admit I'm in the plot points group here, as I have goals for my characters in mind. But I allow things to develop as time passes, and work with other people's plots from time-to-time. It's when I hit a lull in interaction that I'll have some more free time to write a post, and then the character will approach some more in depth and exploratory development.

Hear ye, hear ye

A Quest has been organized and we need a few more people for it to be worth it. Gravity will be posting the opening in Po-wahi tomorrow so if you have any characters in the area feel free to join in.

If you play your cards right you may even get something cool for your character.

I'm not going to be one of the people helping to run it but I hope all that join in have a blast

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Hear ye, hear ye

A Quest has been organized and we need a few more people for it to be worth it. Gravity will be posting the opening in Po-wahi tomorrow so if you have any characters in the area feel free to join in.

If you play your cards right you may even get something cool for your character.

I'm not going to be one of the people helping to run it but I hope all that join in have a blast

*rubs chin*

Hmm... Tivanu is held up, Voulge is tied to Ga-koro by the virtues team, Chivinix is busy, Vrina is otherwise occupied, kidona is once again held up waiting... That leaves syvra.. Hmm am i able to justify getting him to po-wahi.. Possibly

However this seems like it will be something interesting so will try to get there.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

So I'm back, maybe, and deciding on jumping back in with a fresh character, less baggage that way.

Look forward to having fun writing with y'all again. :)

Yay, someone else with a Taajar character!

Welcome back!

Edited by Yukiko

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

And so, with that, the quest begins.

This is initially going to be divided into two different groups to allow more characters to get involved in it. If one group doesn't work for your character, the other might.

The first group is based in Po-Wahi, and will be lead by Silvan Haven as Kale. This group will be hunting down wanted criminal Jazek Rehn, with the goal of stopping him before he reaches the "treasure" at the end. This will allow those with guard characters, lawful characters, and even mercs and bounty hunters to jump in.

The second group will be based in Ko-Wahi, and will be lead by my character Zauk. This group will be activily trying to find the treasure themselves, and will allow for more average characters to join in. I will be making an intro post for them shortly.

Do note, I cannot guarantee your character's complete safty if you do join up. They may be put in a position where they will be hurt and/or die. There is also a distinct possibility that there will be events to develop these characters. You have been warned.

That being said, there are rewards for those who complete the quest, and they are quite neat. Staff-approved rewards, for those wondering.

Happy hunting, and have fun.

• Upvote 3

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

That place is still locked down?

Huh, that complicates things a bit, but not overly so. Alright, for those of you joining the Ko-Koro quest group, I may need to relocate some character to another Koro, most likely Ta-Koro.

I'll send out an IC request for adventurers there.

Just a heads up.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Hi everyone. :) It's come to my attention locations are being confused in Po-Wahi and I just wanted to take a moment to clarify:

Ostia is not Po-Koro.

Po-Koro is in the middle of the desert, in a canyon, and according to Lloyd the city's only view of the ocean was a blue sliver on the horizon more often called sky than sea. Ostia, by contrast, is on the northernmost tip of Po-Wahi, very visible, and is the main port so to speak of the region. There is no Iron Mahi as of yet connecting those two cities, as the only rail line Lloyd got approved was from Po-Koro to Forsi. It takes roughly a day or two to travel between Ostia and Po-Koro.

I hope these details help. :)

Edited by Hatachi

Wait, no, Blackrock is in that northern peninsula. Which is by its approval with Blackrock a near-inhospitable place.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

I did a fast mark-up of a Mata-Nui Map showing where each settlement is in Po-Wahi, along with an orange line to represent the current Iron Mahi. I hope this clears up any discrepancies or questions. :)

Ostia: It's basically that port in Leva Bay, but now it's grown and developed into a medium sized town of its own right.

Po-Koro: It's hidden in the canyon. Hard to find, but once you see the stone heads out front on the doorstep you know you're in the right place.

Forsi: Its just on the edge of the river and Naho Bay's northern bank. A great stop-over between Ga-Koro and Po-Koro.

Cities_of_Po-Wahi%2C_2014.jpg

EDIT: Also, with all the coolness of Gravity's plot rolling into high gear I just want to throw out a second plot choice to join as well: Kikanolo Corps. If you have a sentinel and think that exploring the deserts of Po-Wahi would be a cool thing, join Korru (played by Gear Director) in doing so. With hope the party will even walk in on some cultists. :P

Edited by Hatachi

Okay, thanks. Let it be known that Blackrock is on the peninsula's wasteland tip.

*Prays that the BoA doesn't have to move. Again.*

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

In my personal opinion, RPG-geography doesn't have to be as indeterminate as RPG-time ;)

In fact, I've more than once considered putting together a proper map of Mata Nui to help with reference in such matters, and I'd be happy to pick up that project now if there'd be an interest in it. I've got some experience making fictional maps, and I'd work closely with the relevant players in determining the proper locations.

Would anybody like me to do this? Or, indeed, is anybody ALREADY doing this (I think Kughii was doing something similar)?

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I was, but do to life I was never able to fully take care of the map project. I'd love to work with a group if that was possible to produce an actual island map! My little project was drawing illustrations of the notable game locations.

I was planning on doing the same thing. Ended up forgetting about it when something else came up though. I would be glad to help out with a new try.

With three people actively working on it we should be able to get something done.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1