BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

...if any of you heard an explosion in the distance, that was my brain undergoing nuclear fission.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

*has not been paying much attention to the Dasaka, so yes, this is news to me*

###### off, man.  Maybe you might not have an issue with torturing and eating people alive, but I certainly do.

We do have problems with that. That's like saying Stephen King likes to murder people, or H.P. Lovecraft consorted with dark powers. They have problems with that personally.

If we all wrote characters like ourselves, with exactly our POVs and views, there would be no villains, just College-age/High-School students who frequent a forum dedicated to a children's toy line.

Writing about characters like that is one thing.  Crude jokes and pestering someone clearly uncomfortable with that about it is another.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Just out curiosity, when will the Chiisai Ryuu come to the waters of Mata Nui? Or defeat the squid?

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

So while we're on the topic of Dasaka:

We've heard in the Chapter II opening that the Dasaka had legends of "being as colorful as Janu birds who wielded the powers to manipulate nature"(or something along those lines), meaning Toa, but is the reverse recorded anywhere? Did Mata Nuians have any knowledge, however ancient and disregarded, of the Dasaka prior to their first IC appearance in Chapter I?

:a::k::i:

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

We've heard in the Chapter II opening that the Dasaka had legends of "being as colorful as Janu birds who wielded the powers to manipulate nature"(or something along those lines), meaning Toa, but is the reverse recorded anywhere? Did Mata Nuians have any knowledge, however ancient and disregarded, of the Dasaka prior to their first IC appearance in Chapter I?

:a: :k: :i:

I would interpret that as the Dasaka once came from somewhere that had the other elemental Matoran, but not necessarily Mata Nui. Just a humble player's interpretation.

The times, they are a-changing...

:a: :k: :i:

It's possible there could be, but I don't see any references to any legends like that. Maybe Nuju'll make a post someday IC mentioning legends of beings who wielded psionic power or something. Edited by Toa Xemnas of Crystal

This question was answered on just the previous page.

The Dasaka seemed alien to the people of Mata Nui when they first arrived mainly because on Mata Nui, Toa of Psionics haven't been seen or even heard of in living memory.

'Living memory' and cryptic references are different things.

• Upvote 1

So, would Dasaka be identifiable as Toa in-game by someone who didn't know any better?

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

You guys might have noted that Mata Nui doesn't really have legends like Kentoku does. Comes with being kept under Makuta's reign for living memory, and unlike Kentoku, Mata Nui doesn't really have a united society. They don't have the same sort of records, so there wouldn't be anything to find. That said, I can say that there isn't really much to find.  ;)

@Raz: Endless made a pretty reasonable request. It isn't a hardship or unreasonable to abide by it, and it certainly isn't proper to respond by continuing the behavior.

@Endless: Their general body type would be similar, but they aren't likely to be able to tell. At least, not easily. We have a few species that appear similar to Toa, and Dasaka are just different enough that it wouldn't be easy to pin them down as being part of the same species. 

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

You guys might have noted that Mata Nui doesn't really have legends like Kentoku does. Comes with being kept under Makuta's reign for living memory, and unlike Kentoku, Mata Nui doesn't really have a united society. They don't have the same sort of records, so there wouldn't be anything to find. That said, I can say that there isn't really much to find.  ;)

Woah okay Alex I would heavily disagree with that statement. The Koros all have records like the wall of prophecy. Sure, they only date back to the dark time, and they aren't close to or as old as the psionic Dasaka vaults, but they seem pretty comprehensive to me. And the island has tons of legends. I mean, prophecies and shrouded myths about things like Rahkshi are vital to the fabric of Mata-Nuian society. Mata-Nui should have just as many legends as Kentoku

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

I don't know about just as many legends. Most of them seem to have turned out true so they probably just are seen as obscure facts.

Reminds me of a character/semi-NPC character idea I had a while back about an old dude who lived out in the middle of the desert and was an expert on just about ever legend ever. Just sort of a guy to help get quests started.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Woah okay Alex I would heavily disagree with that statement. The Koros all have records like the wall of prophecy. Sure, they only date back to the dark time, and they aren't close to or as old as the psionic Dasaka vaults, but they seem pretty comprehensive to me. And the island has tons of legends. I mean, prophecies and shrouded myths about things like Rahkshi are vital to the fabric of Mata-Nuian society. Mata-Nui should have just as many legends as Kentoku

The various Walls and records all only cover actual fact, and only go back to around the time of the Mata. A ways before, perhaps, but certainly not so far back as to be relevant here. There have only been about three (maybe) prophecies, and not all of them were well known before their completion or near completion. Things such as the Rahkshi aren't myth, they're fact, and have been known as such for quite some time. I can't find the exact reference, but the Rahkshi were first sent against the villages just after the Mata's fall, I believe. (It should be noted that I'm not entirely certain on that fact, but none of the villages were confused as to what they were, even when they first appeared)

Mata Nui has its stories, sure, but there isn't as much. Kentoku is an empire, with generations upon generations of history and culture. Their legends and pasts are critical to their cultural identity. Mata Nui was a tribal society, and while their history was recorded... There isn't all that much past that. Few legends, only a handful of prophecies. Most of the things approaching actual legend aren't things most characters in-game know. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Wasn't like that in original series canon, but this isn't canon-compliant, so I guess I can see that being the case...

Personally, though, I don't like it.  :|

Yes, Rahkshi were released during Makuta's reclaiming the island after the defeat of the Mata.

The closest thing Mata Nui has to real legends is the Legend of Mata Nui, as told by the six Turaga.

"In the time before time, the Great Spirit descended from the heavens, carrying with him the ones called the Matoran, to this island paradise. We were separate and without purpose, so the great spirit blessed us with the Three Virtues: Unity, Duty and Destiny. We embraced these gifts and in gratitude named our home Mata Nui, after the great spirit himself. But our happiness was not to last. Mata Nui's brother, Makuta, was jealous of these honors and betray him. Makuta cast a spell over Mata Nui, who fell in a deep slumber..."

And so on.

There's also The Legend, but who knows how that works.

ppg2.png

Just finished reading eight pages of Ko-Wahi topic.  So much flagrant over-use of EE and powers it's making me confuzzled.  I think I need a cup of tea and a book about the real world for a bit.  Maybe a book about dental radiographs?  yes... that sounds lovely...

All joking aside though, it seems most players are writing some heavy attacks.

Just finished reading eight pages of Ko-Wahi topic.  So much flagrant over-use of EE and powers it's making me confuzzled.  I think I need a cup of tea and a book about the real world for a bit.  Maybe a book about dental radiographs?  yes... that sounds lovely...

Care to PM me a tactical summary? I'd like to introduce some characters there soon, and I kinda don't want to sieve through eight pages.

Guys we ARE the legends in the making chill out

Does that mean that Makuta has gone Meta now?

In the stunning finale to the BZPRPG, it is revealed that the Hiripaki is the mastermind behind all the game's events, manipulating all of time and space to foster an unending cycle of strife and victory for the purpose of bringing greater and greater 'legends' into shape, until the line between story and reality is blurred beyond recognition and it can replace Makuta and Mata Nui as the sole defining force of creation.

Its posts will be written by special guest star Mark Z. Danielewski.

• Upvote 11

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Guys we ARE the legends in the making chill out

Does that mean that Makuta has gone Meta now?

In the stunning finale to the BZPRPG, it is revealed that the Hiripaki is the mastermind behind all the game's events, manipulating all of time and space to foster an unending cycle of strife and victory for the purpose of bringing greater and greater 'legends' into shape, until the line between story and reality is blurred beyond recognition and it can replace Makuta and Mata Nui as the sole defining force of creation.

Its posts will be written by special guest star Mark Z. Danielewski.

FUND lT

...but close to it

Care to PM me a tactical summary? I'd like to introduce some characters there soon, and I kinda don't want to sieve through eight pages.

I will once I stop feeling like I've been attacked by a mind flayer.  Actually, I may just update the wiki so everyone gets the bonus.  HEY PEEPS: who actually uses the wiki?

Wasn't like that in original series canon, but this isn't canon-compliant, so I guess I can see that being the case...

Personally, though, I don't like it.  :|

Yeah that's what bugs me about that statement, Alex. In Canon, and more importantly, in the atmospheric game this setting is supposed to emulate, Mata-Nui is inferred to have a rich, deep culture filled with legends and stories. The only ones that have been relevant in this story, and thus defined, have been secret prophecies, but I couldn't imagine Mata-Nuian culture without a deep mythology and many legends or fables or stories. Mata-Nui culture is far more spiritual than what I've seen of Kentoku, which is based more on duty and a strict caste system than myths and stories.

Also, Rahkshi are certainly facts now, but when they first appeared all those (OOC) years ago there were a few posts that referred to them as more mythological figures, rarely seen and only recently confirmed as solid facts. 

I see where you are coming from that Kentoku has much more recorded history than Mata-Nui, but that would seem to infer they have more facts and knowledge than Mata-Nui, not half forgotten myths and legends.

Edited by Visaru
  • Upvote 4

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Well, yeah. And honestly, I see this as a good thing.

Given the situation in Ko-Koro right now and what is at stake for everyone involved, it makes complete sense that characters would be going all out, pushing their abilities to the limits to either defend their home or take the village. I'd be much more worried if, in a losable, island-changing battle like this one, characters were holding back and using lighter attacks. Yes, that means we get a bit of god-modding in the mix, but so far I think that has been dealt with quite well and edited out without too much fuss. I remember a lot more fuss occurring over Pala-Koro battle (and rightly so).

And yes, I do like to use the wiki to keep up to date with events I'm not directly following IC.

• Upvote 3

ppg2.png

HEY PEEPS: who actually uses the wiki?

I do, when I'm actively searching for lore. I don't really maintain my own pages all that much; lack of enthusiasm for it, I guess.

Yeah that's what bugs me about that statement, Alex. In Canon, and more importantly, in the atmospheric game this setting is supposed to emulate, Mata-Nui is inferred to have a rich, deep culture filled with legends and stories. The only ones that have been relevant in this story, and thus defined, have been secret prophecies, but I couldn't imagine Mata-Nuian culture without a deep mythology and many legends or fables or stories. Mata-Nui culture is far more spiritual than what I've seen of Kentoku, which is based more on duty and a strict caste system than myths and stories.

Also, Rahkshi are certainly facts now, but when they first appeared all those (OOC) years ago there were a few posts that referred to them as more mythological figures, rarely seen and only recently confirmed as solid facts. 

I see where you are coming from that Kentoku has much more recorded history than Mata-Nui, but that would seem to infer they have more facts and knowledge than Mata-Nui, not half forgotten myths and legends.

I'm with Visaru on this one. Just sayin'. :)

If I may be as so ignorant to ask, How does one go about joining this RPG?

Hey there! :) It's always good to see a someone new interested in jumping aboard this steamboat we like to call the BZPRPG. Getting started is pretty easy - just create a character and write a profile for them, then post it in the Profiles topic. As soon as you've done that, you can begin posting: you don't need to wait for the staff to approve your profile unless you have some wacky mask or powers, or some custom technology.

You can jump in anywhere you like, from Ta-Wahi to the Kini-Nui. It can feel a little overwhelming at first, but the sooner you start posting and interacting with people, the easier it will get. Don't forget to read the Rules and Starter Topic -- both are full of valuable information for new players like yourself.

• Upvote 4