Automotive/Racing Topic

I'm really into cars and racing, and I'm quite sure there are a lot of you out there who are gear heads (or petrol heads as they call it in the UK), so I decided to start a topic about cars. So let's get discussing! Hopefully this will soon become popular enough to gain official status!

Bliss.png

That would be a good poll for this topic.

Ok then so what is everybody's favorite car? I would have to say mine is the Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II. Its not the prettiest car in the world, but I have been enamored by it since I was 9 years old for whatever reason.

Pic:

.0000000autowp.ru_mercedesbenz_190e_2.516_evolution_ii_3.jpg

Bliss.png

I haven't driven it in Shift 2, but now it's worth the buy. Another one that I really like (and wished it was produced) is the Saleen Raptor. The curves on that ride, and the sound of the engine.

I have driven it in Forza 4, and its quite enjoyable. Its not very fast, but it handles very well. I did modify it to get about 700 horsepower :D , but it kinda ruined it.)

I dream of someday driving one or even owning one. They only made 502 of them, none of which were imported to the US. As a result of the limited production numbers, they are rather expensive, and extremely difficult to find. I did find one for sale in France for $55,000 once. (VERY cheap for an Evo II)

Fun Fact :) : The last two Evo IIs out of the 502 made were painted in Astral Silver, rather than the usual "blauschwarz" blue/black color.

My second favorite car, as my username implies, is the Mazda (MX5) Miata! I have a 1991 red Miata, so thats why its my second favorite. If anyone is wondering what really cheap two seater sports car to buy, you can't beat the fun you'll get out of a Miata.

And BTW only people that don't know much about cars think the Miata is a chick car. Just putting that out there before anyone makes that inevitable comment. Its for driving enthusiasts, because although slow, it handles like nothing else on the road.

Bliss.png

Never driven one myself, but I have heard how bad they are on the road. That's true for most trucks really. As for my favorite SUV: The Lamborghini LM002. That thing is a beast. My favorite truck would have to be the F150 Raptor as well. They remind me of trophy trucks.

Speaking of Top Gear, do you prefer the American or British version? Personally I prefer the British version.

Bliss.png

My favorite car? I have a lot but my favorite is probably the Shelby GT500, especially the new one. In general I love american muscle cars the best, they may be cheap but they are all about being apologetically loud, fast, and fun, and I absolutely love that.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I have not (I don't live in Australia), but I do like some of the Aussie V8s that made it to America, such as the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO (which was actually a rebadged Holden Manaro). I do hear that in Australia the rivalry with Ford and GM in Australia is rather...heated to understate it (or at least what I hear of it).

Oh and for a fun fact, Ferrari's business decisions actually caused the creations of both the Ford GT40 and Lamborghini.

For the Ford GT40, Henry Ford planned on buying Ferrari, but Enzo Ferrari backed out at last minute, an angered Henry Ford told his engineers to make a car that would beat Ferrari at Le Mans. The result was the GT40 MkII and from 1966 to 1969 it proceeded to beat Ferrari...4 times.

As for Lamborghini, he was originally a tractor builder who bought a Ferrari and complained that the clutch was bad in an otherwise great car. Ferrari essentially told him to go screw himself, and as you would expect it angered Lamborghini...and inspired him to build the first Lamborghini sports car, from then on the rest is history.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I got to sit in a Ferrari F355 Spider today. It is a special experience to sit in a Ferrari with a stainless steel gated shifter. I have only sat in ones with a sequential gearbox. If I ever have enough dough to buy a Ferrari, it will have a manual transmission with a stainless steel gated shifter. That also means that it will have to be a used one, because they don't make them with manual transmissions any more. :cry:

The story of the Ford GT40 is one of my favorite car stories. That and the story of the Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe. Two stories of Ferrari getting beaten badly by Americans. (I still love Ferrari though.)

Bliss.png

Lamborghini, although one of my favorite car manufacturers, has been making me puzzled to say the least as of late.

For example, I simply don't understand why they had to make this one.

tumblr_mmw8mmEjrA1r5hj8co1_500.jpg

The "Egoista".

Even its name bothers me. Its not the greatest looking car IMO, it costs $3.9 million dollars, and even if you had that sort of money, you couldn't buy one because all three of them have been sold already.

I understand that Lamborghini is known for their radical designs (Countach), but this one is just too outrageous.

Bliss.png

That's what I thought at first, but then I read an article somewhere else to freshen my memory about the Egoista, and they said they made 3 of them.

But you are right, that article I read is wrong. I remember reading the Bing article back when they unveiled the Egoista, and it is what Lamborghini made for their 50th anniversary. (And it was the only one they made.)

Bliss.png

Lamborghini seems to have an aircraft theme going on, the Reventon is based on an F22, but the Egoista is based on an Apache helicopter. Anyway, for minor things I got to see an SLS AMG on the road earlier today, very nice.

On the other side of things, is it just me or are Americans the only ones who are willing to tune their cars? It is almost a culture here (scratch that, it is), but I don't hear too much about European petrol heads modifying their cars. Granted I don't live in Europe and my perspective on how Europe sees them mostly comes from Top Gear.

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I saw a black SLS a couple of weeks ago. Its even more beautiful in real life. I hadn't ever seen one in real life before that.

I think there are a good amount of tuners in the UK. I know there are a lot of Mitsubishi Evo fanatics who modify their cars just like we do over here. In Germany, I think the only people that modify their cars are those who live close to the 'Ring. :P As for the rest of Europe, I don't really know.

Bliss.png

If possible I would want to try and get something like a Scion FR-S for my first car, if not then I will probably try and get a second hand BMW.

Its the same kind of car as a Mazda Miata, which I have and is one of the most fun cars money can buy, so I would definitely recommend getting the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ. I have also heard very good things about the FR-S/BRZ.

Bliss.png

I sorta like the Miata, but the new version that might come out appeals to me. Speaking of first cars, I also like the Chevy Cobalt SS. That looks nice.

Yes, the Alfa partnership will be very good for the ND (next gen after NC) Miata as far as styling goes, and general publicity. I am really glad Mazda and Alfa Romeo have set up this joint venture.

Bliss.png

I like how it looks aggressive, but it also reminds me of the Furai. Same goes with the CX-5. I personally, am not a family sedan kind of person. I really like cars that are featured in video games, which no surprise is how I got to like them. Now any one see Ridiculousness with Ken Block as the guest? That was crazy the crash he got in, but the Gymkhana stuff that he does is amazing.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

I am not sure, personally the Mazda 6 on it's own does not really appeal to me (not that I hate it), though the styling is cool. I would prefer to get a Mazdaspeed6 if I had to get one, but that is just me.

I do hope they make a Mazdaspeed version of the 6!

I like how it looks aggressive, but it also reminds me of the Furai. Same goes with the CX-5. I personally, am not a family sedan kind of person. I really like cars that are featured in video games, which no surprise is how I got to like them. Now any one see Ridiculousness with Ken Block as the guest? That was crazy the crash he got in, but the Gymkhana stuff that he does is amazing.

I'm not a fan of family sedans either, but I do like the approach Mazda is taking with their new cars. They're really trying to make their cars better to drive but more efficient at the same time.

I've never heard of Ridiculousness. What channel is it on? I'll have to check it out some time. It already sounds pretty awesome. :D

Bliss.png

It's on Mtv. I watched it when my 6th period (beginner class for automotive repair) finished our final exam. It was funny with Rob and Ken with the videos they showed. Ken got a tooth knocked out when playing B-Ball, so the made a segment for those people with knocked out teeth. This guy with a shotgun hit his teeth with the kickback when he fired it. It was hilarious.

Back to topic, anyone like the Veloster Turbo? I want to get that hatch.

It's on Mtv. I watched it when my 6th period (beginner class for automotive repair) finished our final exam. It was funny with Rob and Ken with the videos they showed. Ken got a tooth knocked out when playing B-Ball, so the made a segment for those people with knocked out teeth. This guy with a shotgun hit his teeth with the kickback when he fired it. It was hilarious.

Back to topic, anyone like the Veloster Turbo? I want to get that hatch.

I'll definitely watch it. It sounds like a great show! Did the guy with the shotgun intentionally do that? Because its kind of hard for the kick to knock your teeth out unless you are trying! :lol:

The Veloster Turbo looks pretty cool. I haven't read much about it. What do you think of the Veloster vs the Focus ST?

Bliss.png

I say the Velsoter would win. The ST Focus, needs some better looks, which mainly why I never have that car. the RS is cooler, but both are good competition.

By the way, I bought that Mercedes that you said, and it is awesome. I won three races with it on World Tour with Manual Transmission, Normal Steering, and everything else off. The clutch felt weird for me in Forza 4, but I'm good with it on Horizon.

I say the Velsoter would win. The ST Focus, needs some better looks, which mainly why I never have that car. the RS is cooler, but both are good competition.

By the way, I bought that Mercedes that you said, and it is awesome. I won three races with it on World Tour with Manual Transmission, Normal Steering, and everything else off. The clutch felt weird for me in Forza 4, but I'm good with it on Horizon.

The RS is a beast. Its a shame they won't bring it to the US. Lucky Brits! :P

So you use a wheel and pedals then rather than a controller? Same with me.

I love that Mercedes! :D

Bliss.png

Oh I see. I would recommend trying out a wheel for your racing games. It adds a whole new level of immersion to them. I primarily play iRacing, rFactor, and netKar Pro, which all require a wheel and pedals for you to be successful due to the extreme level of realism. (Profesional race car drivers train with iRacing) I still love Forza though, because there are just so many cars and the game is just awesome in general.

You should really check out iRacing though. :) Its really amazing. Its by far the best racing simulator on the market.

Bliss.png

• 3 weeks later...

I have not tried that.

On an off note, as an American, I kind of wish that we would get more British roadsters or hot-hatchbacks. Now I know that some British roadsters are here but they are all for people who have a lot of money one them (as much as I would love a Jaguar F-Type, I don't have the roughly 80 Grand or so).

Edited by The Lord Of Wednesday

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

Sadly, I have not.

Also, I read the rules of the 24 Hours of LeMons, and it just makes me laugh. I feel like I want to enter it. At least it's less intense than LeMans.

You guys heard of the new Ford Tremor? It's coming out.

I am definitely entering that race at some point in my life. The competition is hilarious. There was one guy racing a Cessna plane in it! (On the wheels obviously) It on my bucket list for sure. :D

I haven't heard of the Ford Tremor. I'll have to check that out.

EDIT:

I looked it up. I bet sport trucks will catch on. It looks pretty cool. The improved fuel economy is a good step forward. Its pretty sad though, that it gets the same fuel economy as my dad's 2001 Audi A4 did. Sad for my dad's car, that is, because a big Ford truck gets the same fuel economy as it. But that car just died, and I convinced my dad to get a 2014 Mazda 6! He needed a midsize sedan, and that is definitely the best affordable midsize sedan on the market currently. It gets 37 MPG highway. Thats a big improvement over the 22 he used to get!

Edited by MX5Miata
Bliss.png