Official BBC Contest #65: For the Birds!

Official BBC Contest #65: For the Birds!Bird, bird, bird's the word. Don't you know about the bird? Everybody knows that the bird is the word.Or the theme for this year's Brickfair. That too.Birds are pretty amazing. They fly, they swim, they run, and they've even been known to ride the bus. They come in all shapes, sizes, and colours. And for some reason, nobody's ever seen them in the same room as dinosaurs. Batman-like coincidence? No, because bats aren't birds.Your mission is to build a bird. It can be from Bionicle (canon Rahi included), earth (canon fauna included), or a bird you just made up (headcanon avians included). Not an anthropomorphic bird, not a griffon, and definitely not a dragon.Once again, final voting will be held partially at Brickfair Virginia as well as on BZPower, so finalists will need to have their MOCs on display at the show. You can send them in (more information soon) or better yet, bring them down yourself. All other entrants are welcome to send their MOCs in for display, too. I hear you get some pretty neat things if you do.Of the finalists, the winner will receive three Vahki and a one-year Premier Membership. Second place will receive two Vahki and a six-month Premier Membership, and third place will receive one Vahki and a six-month Premier Membership. All finalists will receive a prototype piece. Many thanks to Kevin Hinkle and Lego for donating the Vahki!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Entries begin being accepted as soon as this topic is posted, and will stop being accepted on Saturday, June 22nd at 11:59 P.M. EST. We will accept unlimited entries for this contest, so there's no need to rush your entry. To enter, simply post a link to your .jpg or .gif entry picture in this topic. Your entry post in this thread should appear as follows:Entry Name:Entry Pic URL:Topic URL (if applicable):------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------A running tally of entrants will be updated daily IN A SEPARATE PINNED TOPIC, which will be posted shortly after the first entries are received.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Voting Process:Preliminary Voting begins June 24th and ends June 27nd at 11:59 P.M. EST.Final Voting begins August 3rd and ends August 4th at 11:59 P.M. EST.The contest winner and final voting results will be posted in a separate thread on August 6th.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rules:1) Your entry may not have been published prior to the start of this contest. You may make your own topic before posting in the official entry thread, but you must create a post in the entry topic before it is closed in order to be officially entered. If, after posting your entry anywhere on BZP but before officially entering it (including the blogs), you modify it and then enter it, you will be disqualified. You may only start one topic for your entry. Please post only one main pic in this entry thread and a link to the rest of the pics in the gallery on your image host (most likely Brickshelf, Photobucket, or Flickr). You can do pictures as normal in your own separate thread. If you need help posting pictures, please see this topic.2) Don't PM the contest host unless you have to. Ask questions in this topic and the host or an assistant will answer it.3) Painted parts are NOT ALLOWED. No non-LEGO parts. All other LEGO parts are fair game; however, for the most part, they should be Bionicle pieces and Technic pieces. Let's say, at least 75% of the MOC Bionicle/Technic parts. Pictures in which the appearance of the MOC has been edited in Photoshop or other editing software are also prohibited. If either method is used, the MOC will be disqualified. The background may be edited, as long as it does not alter the appearance of the MOC.4) Only one entry per member. You cannot switch or modify models mid contest. Once you have entered, you may not "un-enter" your models and enter new or modified ones in their stead. You may opt to bow out of the contest for whatever reason but you cannot reenter under such a situation. If you get disqualified for any reason, you will not be allowed to reenter with another MOC in that contest.5) Any flaming will result in disqualification from the contest. Competition is good if you keep it clean. Everyone play fair, NO WHINING, no insults. I reserve the right to DQ any entry at any time for any reason.6) Absolutely, positively NO CHEATING! Anyone found to be cheating or even suspected of cheating will face immediate disqualification from this contest and will be banned from participating in future contests. They will likely also be banned from the site. Mods know this information, so you're not fooling anyone but yourself by thinking you can get away with it. We run a check on people with multiple accounts too, which is an offense that results in banning from BZP entirely, aside from the contest... DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.7) No "this is unfair" posting. Some people have more parts, money, time, birds, gigs left on your hard drive, etc than others. That's life; we each have to do our best with what we have. Any excessive complaining may, at the judgment of the contest runner, disqualify you!8) Discussion is encouraged. Feel free to ask questions about models you see or about the contest in general. This is for us, the BBC builders; let's have some fun with it.9) The contest is open to all BZP members, and voting is open to all BZP members to participate in even if they did not enter an MOC. "Advertising" your MOC is fine by making a signature or avatar reminding people to vote for you, but mass-PMing is frowned upon and will just get you disqualified. Advertising your MOC in someone else's thread is also a major no-no. Spamming may result in proto loss or even post-count reductions, so don't do it.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Prizes:The winner will receive three Vahki and a one-year Premier Membership. Second place will receive two Vahki and a six-month Premier Membership, and third place will ive one Vahki and a six-month Premier Membership. Many thanks to Kevin Hinkle and Lego for donating the Vahki!MOCs sent into Brickfair will receive prototype pieces.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Contest Hosts:Tufi PiyufiBlack SixWell, what are you waiting for? Get building already!

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

Dang it, I was hoping it wouldn't end up being the Brickfair theme... :lol:

what if we have no way at all to send it in, but become finalists?

I'd assume you'd be disqualified. But really, it's unlikely that you'd have absolutely no way to send it in, I think... :notsure:

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I cannot express how much I dislike this theme. I likely won't be entering. Also, two animal contests in one year?

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

I cannot express how much I dislike this theme. I likely won't be entering. Also, two animal contests in one year?

The first one was the choice of the staff running the contests, but this one is based on the Brickfair theme of the year, just like last year with fire. (It's not like they were required to use this year's Brickfair theme for BBCC65, but it makes sense, I suppose.)

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

I'm just going to express my disappointment that once again a requirement for winning is to send the MOC to brickfair. I can understand that we want a good turnout at the Bionicle stand, I understand that a theme looks good and everything, but it completely eclipses the chances of winning the competition for anyone who can't send/doesn't want to send/can't afford to send their MOC. I like BBC contests, and I could potentially justify it if the prize was good. And for an ordinary BBC contest 3 Vahki as a top prize is very good. However, taking into account the cost of postage to brickfair, I'd be better off simply buying the Vahki myself. Obviously its not all about the prize, but its obviously the primary motivation, or there wouldn't be one.

As for the theme, I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff to come out of this, but I won't be making anything, because I just can't do wings. :P

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Personally, I'm mixed on the BrickFair requirement. On one hand, I've been there to see the turnout in person, and it's very impressive. On the other hand, I also understand that some people - some of them great MOCists - cannot, for various reasons, get their entry to the convention, and the "fear" of making it to the finals and having to ship it to the 'Fair seems like a turn-off for many. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to enter, as I'll only have three or four days to build something between the time I get back home and when the entry period closes. In the off-chance I will, though ... would I be restricted to only two wings?

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I'm just going to express my disappointment that once again a requirement for winning is to send the MOC to brickfair. I can understand that we want a good turnout at the Bionicle stand, I understand that a theme looks good and everything, but it completely eclipses the chances of winning the competition for anyone who can't send/doesn't want to send/can't afford to send their MOC. I like BBC contests, and I could potentially justify it if the prize was good. And for an ordinary BBC contest 3 Vahki as a top prize is very good. However, taking into account the cost of postage to brickfair, I'd be better off simply buying the Vahki myself. Obviously its not all about the prize, but its obviously the primary motivation, or there wouldn't be one.

You just copy-pasted my thought there. I was tempted to enter some contests, sooner or later, since school is almost over, here, and I'll have soooo much spare time to somehow fill with an interesting activity. However, it seems I'll have to skip this one. Too bad, it would have been a great opportunity to get my MOCing activities out of oblivion... Well, best of luck to everyone who'll enter the contest!

Edited by The Renegade Emperor

what if we have no way at all to send it in, but become finalists?

Then you will not be included in the final voting. You can still enter, of course, and are encouraged to.

In the off-chance I will, though ... would I be restricted to only two wings?

There are many examples in science fiction and fantasy of birds with more than two wings, so yes, I don't see why not. (Apparently even real birds might have had four wings.) If you're basing it off of something that already exists in some form of media, you might want to check with a host first just in case. We reserve all final judgment on whether or not it counts as a bird.

There may be two animal-based contests in a row, but they're completely different in one extremely important way: the last contest was about building an animal-themed humanoid, whereas this one is about building an actual animal. The challenge of this contest is entirely unique even for someone who didn't build a bird-based MOC for the last contest. Which I did, by the way.Anyway, I haven't ever built a MOC of a bird - or any kind of animal animal, for that matter - before. Should be fun.

Q2TtLEz.png

I build a fairly large bird (a Chima warrior from the Raven tribe, to be precise) for the previous contest, but considering your entry will have to be shipped (since I'm not going to fly myself to the other side of the world), I will try keep it small. Although somewhat similair to the previous theme, I still like it, for I find making good and realistic looking wings very difficult. It's always nice to have a bit of a challenge, no? ^_^

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

I was already working on a bird for this year(actually I've been "working on it" since last Brickfair), so I may just enter. That is if undead/skeleton birds are all good. Are they?

That would be fine, yes.
Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!

I know this probably comes up every time, but can I cut flex tubes? Corrugated tubes are without question purist, as you have to cut them in a set, and the lego designers cut them to length, but flex tube remains a debate. If you say no, I'll just have to find some obscure part loophole, but I don't wanna D:

Anyway, entry already started, and it's EPIC :D

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

Man, this contest is cool and I may enter, but Vahki are pretty crummy prizes IMO. Some of the poorest canister sets, being complete clone sets with a mediocre piece count and lots of specialized parts with extremely limited usefulness. Having gotten some of the BIONICLE buckets in 2005, the last thing I need is additional Vahki parts. Still, it's nice of TLG to provide prizes for BIONICLE contests, even if it means scraping the bottom of the barrel. And maybe if the contest entrants are lucky they'll be the later release that came with the Kanohi Vahi and Disk of Time? I dunno. At least the prototype parts and premiership are something.Yeah, I'll think about entering, though I doubt I'll come up with anything worthy of winning (intricate creature models are not my strong suit). I have a bird design on LDD I could enter if I bought some Chima parts, but it's small and simple. Small, simple things rarely impress people, so it might not really be worth the effort.

I know this probably comes up every time, but can I cut flex tubes? Corrugated tubes are without question purist, as you have to cut them in a set, and the lego designers cut them to length, but flex tube remains a debate. If you say no, I'll just have to find some obscure part loophole, but I don't wanna D: Anyway, entry already started, and it's EPIC :D

Yes, cut tubing is fine. No need to find a loophole.

Man, this contest is cool and I may enter, but Vahki are pretty crummy prizes IMO. Some of the poorest canister sets, being complete clone sets with a mediocre piece count and lots of specialized parts with extremely limited usefulness. Having gotten some of the BIONICLE buckets in 2005, the last thing I need is additional Vahki parts. Still, it's nice of TLG to provide prizes for BIONICLE contests, even if it means scraping the bottom of the barrel. And maybe if the contest entrants are lucky they'll be the later release that came with the Kanohi Vahi and Disk of Time? I dunno. At least the prototype parts and premiership are something.Yeah, I'll think about entering, though I doubt I'll come up with anything worthy of winning (intricate creature models are not my strong suit). I have a bird design on LDD I could enter if I bought some Chima parts, but it's small and simple. Small, simple things rarely impress people, so it might not really be worth the effort.

So next time I ask LEGO to donate prizes and they go find sets that are almost a decade old and give them to us for free I should say, 'that's nice, but could you give us something cooler?' The fact that they are event willing to help us out and donate prizes (outside of their official support) is something I'm incredibly grateful for, and won't ever turn down.In my mind, these contests shouldn't be about the prizes, but should be about challenging yourself to build within constraints and doing the best you can. And as an added benefit for this contest, not only does all of BZPower get to see your MOC, but thousands of people at BrickFair Virginia might too. How cool is that?If you're considering entering solely because of the prizes, you might want think again. I have no problems disqualifying people for being disrespectful to the hosts or our sponsor.

I know this probably comes up every time, but can I cut flex tubes? Corrugated tubes are without question purist, as you have to cut them in a set, and the lego designers cut them to length, but flex tube remains a debate. If you say no, I'll just have to find some obscure part loophole, but I don't wanna D: Anyway, entry already started, and it's EPIC :D

Yes, cut tubing is fine. No need to find a loophole.

So next time I ask LEGO to donate prizes and they go find sets that are almost a decade old and give them to us for free I should say, 'that's nice, but could you give us something cooler?' The fact that they are event willing to help us out and donate prizes (outside of their official support) is something I'm incredibly grateful for, and won't ever turn down.In my mind, these contests shouldn't be about the prizes, but should be about challenging yourself to build within constraints and doing the best you can. And as an added benefit for this contest, not only does all of BZPower get to see your MOC, but thousands of people at BrickFair Virginia might too. How cool is that?If you're considering entering solely because of the prizes, you might want think again. I have no problems disqualifying people for being disrespectful to the hosts or our sponsor.

I am not trying to be disrespectful to anyone, just sharing my opinion on Vahki. That isn't to say that will affect my decision to enter (which is ALWAYS based on whether the contest inspires me to build something, not based on what I stand to win) or that I think BZPower or The LEGO Group is being stingy. I was just a bit shocked that the prototype parts, which are probably the most valuable prize being offered, are mentioned almost as a mere afterthought, and that increasing numbers of Vahki are the main prize listed for all the finalists. Really the Vahki's age is the main thing setting them apart from the other prizes, but I suppose that may be a more compelling factor to some BIONICLE fans than to me.I apologize if my post came off as disrespectful. It was not at all my intent.

Do I have to submit my MoC to BrickFair? I'll most likely scrap it by then. I would suggest an alternative such as pictures for the event. It would be much more efficient and easy than having everybody entering to pay $52 for the registration. Not being stingy or anything, just a friendly suggestion that would probably help a lot more people out. Anywho,

challenge.jpg

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Do I have to submit my MoC to BrickFair? I'll most likely scrap it by then. I would suggest an alternative such as pictures for the event. It would be much more efficient and easy than having everybody entering to pay $52 for the registration. Not being stingy or anything, just a friendly suggestion that would probably help a lot more people out. Anywho, challenge.jpg

Chro is right - you don't have to attend BrickFair, you just have to send your MOC. And then, it's only if you make the final round of voting.You can still enter even if you can't ship your MOC, you just won't be eligible in the final round.

So, for the BrickFair thing, I just have to bring it in with me, right? I don't have to register it on the BrickFair website? And can I bring it with me on Saturday then take it home when the expo ends Saturday? I probably wouldn't be coming back on Sunday to pick it up and I can't stand to part with my BIONICLE stuff.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!