Review: 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up

Akano

Hello, LEGO Sets forum! Due to the fact that member reviews are now allowed here, I decided to open my first topic here to review a 90s LEGO set that I had always wanted but never got as a child. I present you with 6755 Sheriff's Lock-Up!PresentationFrom the design of the box to the instruction manual, these are the first things you see before building the set.

slinstruct.png_thumb.jpg

The instructions show a valiant breakout of ...*sigh*... Dewey Cheatum (I still facepalm at that name) by his buddy Flatfoot Thomson. Meanwhile, the Sheriff is getting gun crazy and the Deputy is about to break his horse's back. For kids!Unfortunately, I couldn't find any good pictures of the box on the Internets, and seeing as I don't have the box, you will just have to imagine the alternate models and other goodies this set had to offer.BuildingHalf the fun is had building the set. How fun is it to build and how easy or challenging is it?

step1.png_thumb.jpg step2.png_thumb.jpg step3.png_thumb.jpg step4.png_thumb.jpg step5.png_thumb.jpg step6.png_thumb.jpg

This set is medium-small and is thus not a terribly long build (half hour at most). The build is also fairly straight-forward and the buildings aren't terribly complex. It is cool, though, to see how the explosion mechanism works for the jail wall.

cellmech.png_thumb.jpgI haven't seen a security flaw this big since the Death Star's exhaust port.

Set DesignNow that the set is complete, we can critique how it looks from every angle. New or interesting pieces can also be examined here.

set.png_thumb.jpgWelcome to the Old West.

This set has only two major features: the jail cell and the sheriff's office.

cellback.png_thumb.jpg weakspot.png_thumb.jpgSorry I didn't get a closeup of the front. You can see that in other photos.

The jail is a one-room, kinda crude building. For instance, if you look on the back picture, you can see the gap where the springy shock piece is connected and the window where apparently food is passed through. The food window looks large enough for someone of any remote dexterity to wiggle through, and the gap where the shock is connected could easily be dug around for an eventual escape. Note to self: architects in the Wild West were lazy/apathetic to the purpose of their buildings.

office.png_thumb.jpg money.png_thumb.jpg

The office, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any architectural flaws. The sheriff has his own rocking chair for naps, a safe with mysterious contents, and a desk that hides money. Because, what better to have on the premises of a jail than lots of dough?

officefront.png_thumb.jpg

The look of the office from the outside is pretty fitting of the Wild West theme. I like the wanted poster for Flatfoot Thomson, and the windows and Sheriff sign, while stickers, do make the building more a sheriff's office rather than some random store.Now, onto the minifigures:

figs.png_thumb.jpgNote: The deputy's head is wrong.

From left to right, we have Sheriff "Wild" Wyatt West, his Deputy, Flatfoot Thomson, and *sigh* Dewey Cheatum. My personal favorite of these figs, despite the awful name, is Dewey, due (lol) to his playing cards vest and pocket watch chain juxtaposed with his uncivilized, gold-toothy sneer and hateful scowl. It labels him so obviously as a crime lord, and yet he almost seems to be trying to pull off a sophisticated look. It fails so well that I love it. The sheriff, however, comes off as a gentlemanly persona; I kind of want to say hi and befriend him. Flatfoot Tom is all villain, though, and he's not trying to hide it like Dewey; I really like that about him. The deputy is a very stereotypical Old Western character with the leather vest and button down shirt, which makes him my least favorite of the lineup. I don't hate him, but he's kind of the Gary Stu of the Wild West theme.PlayabilityThe other half of the fun is in playing with the set. How well does the set function and is it enjoyable to play with?

naptime.png_thumb.jpgNo lawbreakers = more nap time.

Despite the fact that this set is fairly small, it gives you two good guys and two bad guys, giving you plenty of material for cops and robbers games. Also, the functionality of the jail wall exploding gives a great scenario to base your fun off of.Final ThoughtsOnce it's all said and done, how does the set stack up? Should I get it?Anyone who loves the Old West will love this set despite its size. The minifigs are great, and the functionality is fun.ProsWhat's to like?

• Great minifigs
  • Cool look
  • Neat functionality

ConsWhat's not to like?

• A bit small

For those 90s kids out there, I hope you enjoyed my review of what is, in my opinion, a classic set. For the gallery, go here when it becomes public. :)akanohi.png

Akano's Comics
BZP's resident "MOO" obsesser. My Blag.
"Quality trumps potential every single time. Why? Because all potential means is that you might become great. Quality means that you already are." -Kahinuva
We are the Order of Absolutely Crazy People. Sometimes, that's all it takes.
My stories: Inventor of Metru Nui, My Transformation, My Transformation Part II, Inventor of Metru Nui Rewritten
qs10544.jpg
qs10544.jpg