The Last Embarkment

Renegade Phantom

The Last EmbarkmentBook One: The Fiery Beast When the sun sets for the final timeSix heroes shall rise to dispell crime The fiery beast shall lead the questTo put the darkness back into rest At his side the earth wil stand steadyEnsuring that the beast is ready When the time is right to fight the nightThe beast shall be betrayed by the light The land will fall asleep once againAwaiting the true hero of Lain Prota reread the ancient prophecy for at least the hundredth time, hoping to find some meaning to the cryptic clues. She believed that the firey beast and the earth were toa of some sort. The six heroes were also likely to be toa. But when the sut sets for the final time meant nothing to her.Lain Nui, a small island at the far south of the matoran universe, had no sun. All light was provided by light stones. Prota had voyaged to the north a bit, but even the larger island had no sun. If the sun was to set- even once- it had to rise first.Prota put the prophecy away into a small desk in her room. As chronicler of Lain Nui, Prota was responsable for keeping important documents, such as the prophecy, in her care. The small desk also held the past chronicles of Lain Nui, which Prota often read. The older chronicles included heroir stories of toa teams fighting off evil villains, deranged rahi, and keeping natural disasters to low risk events. The most heroic of all the heroes was Lain himself, who had the island renamed after himself. He hadn't forced the matoran to rename the island, they had done it out of respect for his wisdom, power, and caring nature.Lain was the last toa of Lain Nui. When he had completed his final task, Mata Nui took him away, leaving a single toa stone behind in the temple of Irila, another former toa. The toa stone had a note attached to it, written by Lain. The note is now framed in the museum of Lain Nui. It explains that when the time comes, the matoran of Lain Nui will know who the toa stone is for.Prota often wondered who the chosen matoran was, and if the matoran was even alive at this time. Although Lain had been taken away from them, Mata Nui had protected Lain Nui, keeping all danger away. When Mata Nui had taken Lain away he had appeared in a physical form and explained that Lain was needed elsewhere. In the far north there was a war taking place, and Mata Nui was not allowed to interfere. The Great Beings had intervened when Mata Nui had tried to enter the war the first time. Now Mata Nui planned to send Lain in to end the war.That had been years ago. Lain had never returned. No one had sent Lain Nui a message. No one ever came to Lain Nui anymore. Mata Nui's protection often seemed like a curse, although no matoran expressed this feeling. Mata Nui was doing them a favour. Or so thought Mata Nui. The next day Prota ventured out of her home and walked to the temple of Irila. Prota often visited the temple of Irila, mostly to stare at the toa stone, but also to offer guidance to young matoran who would be planning for their first Embarkment. Prota would offer information about the matoran's proposed destination, and would then begin to chronicle their journey.The Embarkment was a ritual that Lain Nui had begun ever since Lain had been taken away. Matoran could ask the leaders of Lain Nui (the city has multiple turuga) to allow them to explore life outside of Lain Nui, in the hope of finding Lain. In the beginning, many matoran had applied to Embark. The turuga of Lain Nui had since made rules and restrictions concerning the Embarkment.Matoran could only Embark in groups of six or less, to replicate a toa team. No food could be brought out of the city- if you Embarked, then you did so without city resources. Finally, your Embarkment had to be longer than the previous Embarker's quest.The final rule was the worst rule. As time passed, going on an Embarkment meant saving a lot of money so that you could finance your Embarkment. Renting a boat or other vehicle was costly, and getting a group of six reliable matoran together was tough. Similar to a toa team, a team of six matoran had to consist of matoran that could work efficiently together.In recent months, only two Embarkments had taken place. Only one team of matoran had returned, after travelling north to the fifth island. The island north of Lain Nui had names, but they were not known to the matoran of Lain Nui, and were referred to simply by the number they were above Lain Nui; the first being first island, the second being second island and so on.So far, the embarkments had only reached the fifth island, but that alone was a four month round trip journey.To say the least, Prota often discouraged Embarkments. But there were matoran that could not be convinced otherwise. And today, Prota would find that she could not even herself that the Embarkment proposed was safe. But she would join it anyways, because the matoran had explained that this would be the last Embarkment. Lain sat, his back against the cold iron wall. Eight years since he had been taken away. Eight years he had lost. There had been no war. There had been no Mata Nui. There had been no truth. Only lies.The cell wall was too thick for Lain to break, even if he had been free to attack it with full force. He had sat chained to the wall for eight years. He didn't move. He didn't eat. He didn't sleep. Lain was fed by a needle that was injected into his back four times a day. He never felt hungry or thirsty. He never felt tired.He didn't understand it entirely. He often thought he was going crazy. His shadow would appear on the wall and wave at him. Taunt him. Jump towards him and dissapear at the last second.Other times he realized that whoever had disguised itself as Mata Nui was trying to drive him crazy. Make him insane. Lain wouldn't let his enemy win. He had survived eight years of nothing. He could survive longer. The wall infront of Lain crumbled. Lain was so shocked that he tried to hide, but being chained to a wall he could not move at all. A tall figure dressed in dark blues robes entered the cell and looked at Lain. The figure proceeded to kick Lain forcefully, then turned around to leave."Things will be different from now on, Lain, Toa of Earth. Today you will watch the beginning of the end. The foolish matoran of Lain Nui- yes, they renamed their island after you- have decided to begin a quest, a quest that they hope will lead to you."The shady figure faced Lain, hoping for a stunned reaction. Lain sat motionless. "For eight years they have been journeying out on quests. The turuga of Lain Nui had decided that the quests are futile. They have allowed one final quest, but that is all. This is the last chance you'll have to be saved. And so, in honour of you, I've decided to give you a new kanohi. I thought this would be fun for you."Lain stared at the figure. He was trembling on the inside. He had never thought that the matoran would remember him so much. Never imagined that they would name an island after him. Lain wanted to scream. To shout and attack the dark figure in front of him. But he couldn't. He had to remain calm."I'm surprised that you lasted this long. Really, I am," the figure began. "I thought you'd go crazy a long time ago. But no matter. With this new kanohi, I don't see you lasting another month. Do you know why? I'll tell you. I'm going to force you to watch your matoran friends as they begin their quest to find you. You'll watch their minimal success. You'll watch as I attack them and leave them for scrap metal. You'll watch them get so close to you. You'll reach out your hand, because I'll unchain one of your hands. And just as you're about to touch one of their hands I will terminate you all. It will all be for nothing. And do you what I'll do after that? No, you don't? "I'll find you. I'll re-animate you with my mask. I will haunt you until your spirit breaks down so entirely that you won't remember anything but you're inability to save those that matter. You'll be a name in a book and nothing more. "The dark figure reached down and ripped Lain's mask off. Lain's eyes decieved him and showed true fear. The shady figure punched Lain in the face before putting a new mask on. When Lain opened his eyes he had entered darkness. Review Topic

Edited by Iapetus
black_-_the_host.png

Chapter One: The Beginning My name is Prota. I am chronicler for Lain Nui, and chronicler for The Last Embarkment- that's what this journey is being called. It will be the last time that matoran of Lain Nui are allowed to journey away from the city to search for Lain, the lost toa. We- the matoran of The Last Embarkment- decided that we would not return to Lain Nui unless we found Lain. I come from the Air region of Lain Nui. Prota looked at what she'd written and, satisfied with her introduction, passed the notes on to Tara, the leader of the journey. Tara snatched the notes and quickly read what Prota had written. He then began writing his own introduction. Eight years ago Lain was taken from us. We have heard nothing from him since, and no one at all from the outside world has contacted us since. I know that something has gone wrong. I plan to solve this mystery. I am Tara of the Fire region of Lain Nui. May the fire burn bright with us on our journey. Tara passed the book on to the next matoran, not bothering to read over his work. I am Efferon, the last member of the lost Iron Regime. I will ensure that the Iron Regime is never forgotten. I will bring back honour for the regime, and I will not return until Lain is found. My name is Garukki. I come from the village of Water. I hope that I will be able to aid my comrades on this journey. I have nothing more to write. If ever a darker time existed than now, I have not heard of it. The leaders of our city are fools for forbidding any more Embarkments after this. If we do not succeed in finding Lain, we will return to a city filled with hatred over our failure. This is why we cannot fail. I will not allow it. I am Ezaro, from the Fields of Magnetism. My named is Onain, the reigning champion of the reigning champion of the Lain Annual Games. Three years in a row. As a matoran from the Earth District I came to know Lain personally. He mentored me, just as I have since mentored others. We will not give up. I will never give up.Onain reread his notes twice, then added at the end: If we do not survive, and this log is recovered, let it be known that there is a traitor amongst us. In two days time the small ship that the matoran were riding on had arrived at the second island north of Lain Nui. They had previously decided not to stop at any of the islands that had been explored, and, furthermore, had decided to travel well past the fifth island, because when Mata Nui had come for Lain he had stated that the war was far in the north. Not that Prota believed that it was Mata Nui himself who had come to get Lain. In the best possible scenario, for Prota atleast, the being who had summoned Lain was a servant of the Great Spirit.Prota didn't want to think about the alternatives, until they had found some sort of clue as to Lain's dissapearence. And Prota was sure that the clue would only come once they were past the fifth island. And that was still almost a month away. The ship sailed on for the next week without much disturbence. The six matoran took shifts in command of navigation, although most often it was Tara giving directions and Ezaro seeing to it that the orders were followed. Prota kept to herself for the most part but was surprised that the person she spoke the most with was Onain, who she had observed to be quiet. Onain had actually started the conversation on the last day of the first week, when the had both been in control of the ship while Tara took his rest."Do you really believe that we'll find Lain, or did you just come on this trip so that you could rest easy, knowing you'd done your part searching?"Prota had looked at him to make sure he wasn't taunting her, or trying to make her out as an enemy. "I hope that we find him, I really do. But after eight years without hearing from him at all, and not hearing anything about him, it's more likely that we'll die trying to find him, unfortunately. But I won't let that get me down. I'm still going to try just as hard as anyone else.""Good," said Onain. And that was all at first. But Onain would regularily speak with Prota, trying to convince himself and her that the mission was not in vain.Review Topic

Edited by Iapetus
black_-_the_host.png

Chapter Two: The First HunterLain watched as each matoran in turn took the time to write a short introduction about themselves and their quest. He watched the matoran begin their quest and sail north, past the first two islands without much trouble. He noticed that Onain and Prota seemed to be forming a friendship bond, while the others often kept to themselves. The leader of the quest, Tara, often stood by himself in a corner somewhere, or behind the wheel on the ship. Other times he was giving orders to Ezaro. Rarely did he talk with anyone about anything other than the quest. Lain often closed his eyes, hoping to escape the nightmare of watching the quest. It wasn't that the quest was going bad, but rather the matoran couldn't work together. And the fact that they had no idea where they were going. Even Lain himself didn't know where he was, exactly. But the mysterious mask he wore didn't shut off. It required no concentration on his part to keep it working, and wouldn't shut off even if he was concentrating to make it shut off.The mask was worse than staring at a blank wall for eight years. He had no idea what was going on around him- he only knew what was happening in a world far from his own prison. The dark robe swept across a dark clean floor. The robe came to a stop as the figure wearing it stopped moving. The figure raised his staff and tapped it against a cold steel wall. The wall burst open, leaving only a single wall left on the ajoining room. The figure stepped forwards onto a messy stone floor and kicked the toa who was sitting against the wall, chained in place. The toa didn't respond. He couldn't. He was no longer active in his present location.The figure waved his staff through the air and six beasts appeared out of thin air- they had formerly been concealed by a dark energy. The figure looked at each beast individually. The first a giant beast with a thick hide, a powerful jaw and a thorny tail. It stood on all four legs and let out a low growl when it sensed it was being watched. A great blast of air escaped its mouth and the figure's robe flew off, leaving the figure in shiny dark armour.The next beast was much smaller- in fact, it was only slightly larger than a dragonfly. It was blue and each time it flapped its four wings drops of water formed in the air.The third beast was built like a tank. It's red armour shone brightly and lava oozed from its body. The beast roared and fire rushed out of its mouth and scorched the darkly clad figure. When the flames dissapeared the darkly clad figure remained unscathed.The fourth and fifth beasts were quite similar. Both were tiger-like rahi, but the fourth beast had steel claws and horns, while the fifth had wispy shadows for claws.The last beast was the most gruesome. The darkly clad figure motioned for it, and the beast was drawn forwards."I have a special task for you, Desoril. In fact, I have a special job for each of you," said the darkly clad figure, pointing at the other five beasts. "I am Archaeya, ruler of the Northern Kingdom. My friend here," he continued, pointing to Lain, "is currently out of his mind, shall we say, and is watching some matoran far away. I will be sending you out, one by one, to slowly hunt down the matoran."Each of you beasts was selected by me to destroy only one of the matoran on the ship. When you see them, you will know which one to attack. Attack slowly, but with great prejudice. I want my friend here to see every moment of it, and I need him to suffer, just as I have."Archaeya turned and left the room, waving his staff once more. The last beast, Desoril, followed him, while the other five found themselves with chains holding them back from Lain. When Archaeya and Desoril reached the dark clean floor, Archaeya tapped his staff to the floor, and a wisp of shadow rose up and formed into a dark robe.Archaeya, once again clothed in his robe, tapped his staff on the floor once more, and the floor beneath Desoril dissapeared. Desoril fell through the floor, and continued to fall. When he landed, a minute later, Desoril was at the base of a large tower. The land around his was desolate and empty. Suddenly, in front of him, a ball of wispy shadow appeared an began to move away. Desoril followed it, and the ball of shadow led him south. Desoril followed it south for many days. The ball never stopped moving, and Desoril never stopped to eat. He was never hungry, and he always had energy. As he moved further south, his body become more defined than it had been before.Prior to his trip south, his body had been a mess of metal and biological parts. It was as if a small explosion had taken place in his body, and he had lived from that moment on with a disfigured and deformed body.But now he was returning to his former shape. He was approximately seven feet tall, with pure dark armour. Bits of earth covered him from head to toe. His eyes glowed green and his armour shone black.The ball in front of never ceased to exist one day. On this day it shot at his face and dissapeared. In its place a dark mask lay on Desoril's face. In the back of his mind, the voice of Archaeya began to speak to him."You must run now, Desoril. The matoran are approaching. With your powers, you can move much faster than the matoran. When you meet them, you will know who to kill. Do not let your anger get out of control, or I will intervene. You are at most a week away from the matoran."Desoril continued on, faster now. The days past quickly, as blurs of time. Finally, Desoril arrived at an island and saw a boat in the distance. Desoril stood on the edge of the island and looked out at the sea. His eyes followed the ship as it approached him. Once, as the boat approached, his eyes slipped and glanced at the water. In the water he saw his own reflection. Desoril jumped back with a shock. He was not himself. Rather, he looked like the prisoner that Archaeya had kept back in the north. He looked like Lain.Review Topic

Edited by Iapetus
black_-_the_host.png