The BZPower Sin City Discussion Thread

IonXtreme

Since there is no BZPower discussion threat for the Frank Miller Sin City yarns and the two films, I decided to make one.

BZPower rules apply.

Edited by -Windrider-

Favorite Film of All Time: Fight Club

Favorite Television Show of all Time: The X-Files

Favorite LEGO Franchise of all Time: BIONICLE

Favorite BIONICLE year of all time: 2006

76561198042260869.png

Frank Miller's Sin City yarns are visually innovative, although the art kind of declined in ###### and Back by slipping into Miller's Dark Knight Strikes Again-esque style. The first movie is notable for being technologically innovative and also a rare comic book adaptation that is nearly exactly like the source material. Mickey Rourke is awesome and some of the other cast also do a good job and elevate the source material.

Trying to pertain to BZPower rules... I think I ought to address the issue of misogyny in these movies concerning the singular and unflattering portrayal of women in these stories. The women sort of counter this by being tough and able to take care of themselves, but in nearly every story they ultimately need to be saved by a man. While there's somewhat of a variety of male characters and archetypes, etc, every single female character is the same. More, every single story is from a man's perspective- even the Delia stories are narrated by her victims. This is why I'm sort of excited for "The Fat Loss/ Nancy's Last Dance," the original story about Jessica Alba in the upcoming movie, because it'll hopefully mark a more progressive depiction of a female character. I don't know if it would be fair to call Frank Miller a misogynist (I'd call him fascist, war-mongering, thoroughly Islamophobic, somewhat racist, homophobic, and crazy), because not all his work depicts women this way, but these aspects certainly become more prevalent later on. In fact, one aspect of Frank Miller's decline in quality would be how everything he does has sort of become some variation on Sin City, when it shouldn't be that way; for instance, in the beautifully drawn but otherwise terrible All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, for some inexplicable reason Gotham cops are as corrupt as Sin City ones, all the women are portrayed in an offensively degrading manner, and Batman is a sadist who takes pleasure in killing or injuring people.

But overall I like Sin City comics, and I like the first movie. I have some reservations about the new film but everything I've seen looks cool and I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot we can't say that one word. I wasn't intending to curse or whatever, it's just a comic title and it slipped my mind

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.