Missing Ninjago Sets

Wiriamu

When it comes to most things I'm a fan of, I'm a bit of a completist, especially in the area of merchandise. As such, if something appeared in the Ninjago TV series, I feel it should appear in set form. Now this doesn't apply to everything-I honestly don't care much for season four's Elemental Masters all that much-but there are definitely a few show elements that I think should appear in set form, such as the following:

• Young Wu and Garmadon-perhaps a recreation of their epic duel?-and the First Spinjitzu Master.
  • Garmadon's Samurai Mech-that thing was a beast, and it seems a shame that it never got it's own set.
  • The Overlord Dragon-the Golden Dragon was nice, but without its nemesis it seems incomplete. You could even get some extra out of it by including purified/pre-Sensei Garmadon or the First Spinjitzu Master; the latter would enable you to recreate the ancient battle of good and evil.
  • Project: Arcturus-that ship was sweet, and a set version could be really cool. Of course, a figure of its Serpentine namesake wouldn't go amiss...
  • The Preeminent-again, it just seems wrong to finish out a year without releasing a set of the big bad, and the Preeminent would definitely make a nice addition.
  • The Earth Dragon-I'm sorry, but "Cole's Dragon" was garbage, especially compared to other Dragons we've had in the series. I figure we could get Cole, perhaps his dad and the Royal Blacksmiths or Yang's other four students who don't have Minifigs, and maybe even a Seliel fig? She is so cool, they really should put her in the show/toyline.
  • Water and Fire Dragons-the upcoming "Fusion Dragon" is cool, but it'd be nice for the dragons who compose it to get their own sets.
  • The Black Bounty-might just be a recolor of the Destiny's Bounty, but it would give you the chance to get Soto's crew and maybe even the Bizarro Ninja.

So, anyone have any thoughts on these, or any suggestions for other sets?

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

I'm not so worried about the lack of things like the young Garmadon and Wu battle, since a lot of those early character designs often came across as somewhat underdesigned. The same goes for things like the Black Bounty or the un-hacked versions of the Ninja's Rebooted vehicles, which might feel dull or repetitive as sets but provide great inspiration for MOCs. And I can't agree with many of your points about dragons—not only do those elemental dragons also provide great MOC fodder, but if every elemental dragon (or even just every one belonging to the Ninja) had been released as similarly-sized sets it could feel dull and repetitive, while things like the fused Water and Fire Dragons or smaller Earth Dragon provide much more variety.

Things like distinct vehicles tend to be a little more upsetting for me. In particular, the vehicles from the Stone Warrior arc that weren't released as sets (Garmadon's Mech, the Tusk Invader, and the Hover Glider) were almost more interesting than those that were. The lack of many key settings is also often frustrating—for instance, between the unique external profile, hazardous factory floor, falling elevators, external helipad, and Cyrus Borg's fancy top-floor office, Borg Tower had all the makings of an excellent playset but never appeared in the vehicle-heavy Rebooted wave.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Things like distinct vehicles tend to be a little more upsetting for me. In particular, the vehicles from the Stone Warrior arc that weren't released as sets (Garmadon's Mech, the Tusk Invader, and the Hover Glider) were almost more interesting than those that were. The lack of many key settings is also often frustrating—for instance, between the unique external profile, hazardous factory floor, falling elevators, external helipad, and Cyrus Borg's fancy top-floor office, Borg Tower had all the makings of an excellent playset but never appeared in the vehicle-heavy Rebooted wave.

Don't forget the Serpentine moving fortress from towards the end of season 1! That had a lot of excellent potential playset features. I agree that the Overlord Dragon, the Arcturus shuttle, and the Preeminent could have made fun sets, but that tense is important — now that they're no longer really relevant in the story, I feel like LEGO missed their chance to release them as sets, and it wouldn't make much sense to release them today.

Elemental dragons for the other ninja besides Zane and Lloyd could be cool sets, and I somewhat disagree with Lyi's point about them feeling repetitive if they were similar in size. That might be the case if they were all released at once, but by spacing them out (which you can do, since they have lasting relevance to the story) I think they could remain interesting. On the other hand, I have absolutely no problem with getting the recent fusion dragons instead. Plus, sometimes things that we DON'T get in sets are nice since they give fans something to MOC.

There are also some smaller artifact-type things that I'm disappointed didn't appear in the sets. For instance, we never got the Anacondrai staff in sets. It's easy to mock one up using a snake staff and an unprinted 1x1 round tile in Tr. Medium Reddish Violet or Tr. Bright Bluish Violet, but it would've been nice to get a version with its own unique print. An even more glaring omission is Samurai X's boomerang blade, which was one of her signature weapons in the show and even appeared on one of the trading cards, but is absent from the sets and hard to build due to its shape. And of course, there are plenty of character designs that could be fun to see in future sets. You could probably populate a whole topic with suggestions for those.

The Serpentine Fortress was actually going to be a set, but sadly it was scrapped: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Serpentine_Train

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

The Serpentine Fortress was actually going to be a set, but sadly it was scrapped: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Serpentine_Train

I believe Mark Stafford, who designed that model, has actually said it was never intended to be a set. It was just a "snakified" version of the classic Emerald Night set from 2009 meant to showcase what the snake vehicles could look like. Plus, the Serpentine mobile fortress in the show was not a steam train, and its only resemblance to that concept model was that it was long and had multiple carriages (no smokestack, no cow-catcher, no tender, etc).

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ninjago is full of crazy CGI monsters that never seem to make it into the sets. starting with episode 7 in season one with those white tree stick creatures to episode 56 in season five with that odd looking bear thing that attacked the ninja in the Cloud Kingdom. all those crazy creatures just seem a little irrelevant and obscure in the show unless they're translated in some lego sets. 

Ninjago is full of crazy CGI monsters that never seem to make it into the sets. starting with episode 7 in season one with those white tree stick creatures to episode 56 in season five with that odd looking bear thing that attacked the ninja in the Cloud Kingdom. all those crazy creatures just seem a little irrelevant and obscure in the show unless they're translated in some lego sets. 

I know right? I would definitely not say no to a Leviathan set.

There's definitely lots of possibilities.

Edited by Wiriamu

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

• 2 months later...

Hm, not a lot of action here lately, is there? Still, don't think it's been quite long enough that we'd need a brand new topic.

So...there's a few season 7 items I wouldn't mind seeing sets of. Maybe a museum set with a big fig Vermillion for that Oni armored one Nya fought along with Krux in his Dr. Saunders disguise, and-if not a full on set-some battle packs of the old time Elemental Masters we saw in season 7.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs

Hm, not a lot of action here lately, is there? Still, don't think it's been quite long enough that we'd need a brand new topic.

So...there's a few season 7 items I wouldn't mind seeing sets of. Maybe a museum set with a big fig Vermillion for that Oni armored one Nya fought along with Krux in his Dr. Saunders disguise, and-if not a full on set-some battle packs of the old time Elemental Masters we saw in season 7.

The most obvious unused season 7 subject for a set, as far as I'm concerned, would be the Vermillion airship used to get to the boiling sea. Maybe it could even include some Vermillion with those wing packs from the siege on the Temple of Airjitzu.

Not sure what bigfig Vermillion you're referring to—the only ones I remember were the Buffmillion, which already come in brick-built form in the Dragon's Forge.

The original elemental masters could be great to get, but then again we're still waiting on a bunch of the modern day ones, and I'd hope those would take priority. The recent battle pack with three of them was great and I'd love to see more along those lines.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The most obvious unused season 7 subject for a set, as far as I'm concerned, would be the Vermillion airship used to get to the boiling sea. Maybe it could even include some Vermillion with those wing packs from the siege on the Temple of Airjitzu.

Not sure what bigfig Vermillion you're referring to—the only ones I remember were the Buffmillion, which already come in brick-built form in the Dragon's Forge.

The original elemental masters could be great to get, but then again we're still waiting on a bunch of the modern day ones, and I'd hope those would take priority. The recent battle pack with three of them was great and I'd love to see more along those lines.

That is a definite point-that airship could use some love. I say bigfig because I would imagine it would be one-it only appeared briefly when Nya is rushing to help Kai fight Krux and Acronix at the museum, where there's a suit of armor in the entry hall that the Vermillion crawl into. Short-lived, but a cool-looking enemy nonetheless and probably a lot easier to put together than the various scrapmetal or office supply Vermillion that preceded the Buffmillion. I personally like the "ancient" masters better, but to each their own.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

Short Stories

MOCs