The Elementals-Entry 1

SkyLandOceAnna

Silence filled the room along with the early morning light through two dusty windows. A clock on the nightstand read 6:59. The middle colon symbol, separating the two numbers, was flashing, counting each passing second until it reaches the sixty needed to add a minute. Soon the count is over and that loud beeping sound disrupts the silence and the person lying under the covers. An arm extends from under them and taps the snooze button before it retracts back to its place of rest. After a few more seconds, the covers rise and the shape of a women emerges from beneath the matching blue and silver sheet and comforter set. She slides to the edge after removing the hair from her face with a quick blow upwards and slips off and into the bathroom across the room. Several minutes later, she emerges from the bathroom in a sharply dressed outfit with her previous tank and shorts laying on the hamper just inside the bathroom. Her hair was no longer the nest it was when she awoke, but now was shown in its neat, natural curly state, as she heads to the closet. She removes a pair of dress shoes from its brown box and precedes to the bench at the end of the bed to put them on. She peers at the clock once more as she rises and walks through her box-filled apartment and out on the sidewalk looking at the classifieds in the newspaper she grabbed from the stand near the door of her apartment. She stops searching as her fingers come across a position in a music store. She then hails a cab and pays the driver and thanks him before exiting it after reaching her destination. She enters the store and spots a lady at the counter, so she approaches her to inquire about the position from the newspaper. She says, "Hello! May I help you?". Leah, determined to acquire this position, yet still nervous about applying, replies "Um, yes! I would like to speak to the owner about the job position opening here." The owner flipped through the papers in her hand and said, "Well, you found her. My name is Tina." She sets the papers down and looks at Leah curiously for a few seconds before Leah responds. "Oh! My name is Leah!" "Nice to meet you Leah! Why are you interested in working here?" "Well, because I love music and I worked as a dj's assistant for a couple years." "Why did you quit that job?" "School. I wanted to go to college here and it 's too far away to continue. There was a perfectly good university back home, which would've allowed me to continue with my job, but I felt more drawn to here. Not necessarily the school, but I felt like this is where I am meant to be." Tina suddenly becomes more interested and walks around the counter and halfway circles Leah, who's face becomes confused. Wanting to ignore the awkward situation revolving around Tina and her, but still focused on getting this job above any other, she responds, "Sorry, but do you have an application I could possible take and fill out." Tina stops and looks directly at Leah's face. "No! There's no need! You're the best candidate for the job. Come on! Let's meet the crew! They're right over here." They walk over to the group. "Alright girls, listen up! This is going to be your new co-worker Leah! Introduce yourselves to her. A short-haired brunette stepped forward first and said, "Hi! My name is Emma!" "I'm Felicia," responds a tall, skinny redheaded girl. A short, light blonde girl walks closer to Leah and extends her hand. Leah shakes it as she replies "Amy! Nice to meet you!" The final girl who eyes Leah first, walks closer as well and flips her long brunette hair while saying, "Of course, you saved the best for last. I'm Whitney!" After Whitney is done, Emma says, "Don't mind her! She's just in love with herself and any reflection of her she sees." "They're just jealous of me." Tina and the girls all laugh, except Leah, who only smirks, as Whitney crosses her arms. "It's not funny!" Tina quickly became focused and said, "Alright now girls! Get back to work. Come on Leah! I'll show you around the rest of the store." They leave the group and go back into the storage room.*Let me know how it sounds so far. All comments considered for future writing. Thank you!

Edited by SkyLandOceAnna

Wordsmith <3