Programming

Ravrahn

Any coders on BZPower? We can use this topic to discuss programming, ask and answer questions, share interesting problems and interesting solutions, etc. I'm a reasonably experienced programmer, I'm quite capable at Python and I'm learning Java and JavaScript. I'm finding that once you learn how to program, and one language, learning new ones is really easy. All you need are the basic programming skills, problem solving, basic knowledge of how computers work, etc. I did an Australian competition called NCSS (for high school students), which was some (increasingly difficult) problems, 25 in total, which you had to solve, 5 per week, in Python. I took the advanced course, which had things like "Build a TF-IDF search engine", with really specific problems to overcome. So, any interesting problems, or non-interesting problems, or stories, or questions, or answers, or discussion? Or am I the only programmer on BZPower? :P

Edited by +ravrahn

Currently attending PSU as a Computer Science major. I'm in a Java class right now, which if it weren't required for the major, I'd quit as soon as possible... Not because I'm not learning a lot, but because the professor is just... Ugh. Really sucks when you get turned off learning something you love because the person teaching you is so assinine about the simplest things. ~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Second year as a CS major here. Our university tends to focus on Java, so I've got quite a bit of experience in that, though I'm also working on learning some C# and C++ on the side. I am, however, putting said Java to use on a team building a robot.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Ill be starting a university course in Video Game Development over here soon (which, im not sure if you have something like that in your respective countries) which will be fun. Ill have to move to america when im done though... or europe.. dont remember which country in europe but America and that EUR country have a huge game industry. Australia.. not so much

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

Actually Gorag, you don't need a computer to learn how to program, you just need a computer to actually do it. You can learn about problem solving anywhere, and I find that drafting solutions is easier on paper, writing pseudocode is easier on paper, deskchecking is certainly easier on paper. But then, scripting is a totally different ball game to programming, it's more creative.Also, welcome to BZPower!

Currently attending PSU as a Computer Science major. I'm in a Java class right now, which if it weren't required for the major, I'd quit as soon as possible... Not because I'm not learning a lot, but because the professor is just... Ugh. Really sucks when you get turned off learning something you love because the person teaching you is so assinine about the simplest things. ~|ET|~

My dad does a Java class (teaches, not attends), so I occasionally get his lectures from him. In fact, that's how I'm learning Java :PIt really sucks when you get a bad teacher/professor. I'm considering dropping physics, something I'd never otherwise do, because my teacher is so bad that I'm not really motivated to learn :/ On the complete other side, I attended a lecture at a university open day by a brilliant lecturer, which not only made me decide for sure what university I want to go to, but also that I wanted to do computing (not because he would be my lecturer, but because he talked so brilliantly about how we should do what we love, which in my case is computing).

I'm learning to code in Java in an AP Computer Science class at my high school. Pretty cool can't wait to learn how to make usefull software.

Lonliness echoes through my mind like the reaper's footsteps,

Creeping, crawling until every reverberation of it fills my thoughts,

As the inky blackness of night overwhelms me and I begin to despair,

His hand, the One, will always be there to pull me through.

Don't you just love it when you lose all your BZPower info as well as your email info and are forced to use an old alt? I know I do!

I'm afraid I am more of an "archaic" programmer -- I have reasonable knowledge of XHTML and CSS. I've used both languages before to help create custom skins for outside forums. My dad wants me to learn C++, but I'd need a compiler to be able to test coding, a compiler that I don't yet possess.I would definitely like to learn how to program video games at some point, preferably through tutorials or classes. When I'm college age, I plan to major in Computer Science; hopefully that will help.

On the complete other side, I attended a lecture at a university open day by a brilliant lecturer, which not only made me decide for sure what university I want to go to, but also that I wanted to do computing (not because he would be my lecturer, but because he talked so brilliantly about how we should do what we love, which in my case is computing).

There's nothing like getting a really great professor for a class. Last semester I had a brilliant guy running my CS class who made it extremely enjoyable and easy-to-understand. Hopefully I'll get to work with him some more in the coming years.

I'm afraid I am more of an "archaic" programmer -- I have reasonable knowledge of XHTML and CSS. I've used both languages before to help create custom skins for outside forums. My dad wants me to learn C++, but I'd need a compiler to be able to test coding, a compiler that I don't yet possess.

May I recommend Microsoft Visual Studio Express? It's free and includes a linker and compiler as part of the program, so it's quite easy to jump in and start coding and testing. Personally I prefer Eclipse due to having used it so much with Java, but you'll need to find a separate linker and compiler for that (I've heard MinGW works well, but haven't been able to take the time to get it working with Eclipse.)

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Actually Gorag, you don't need a computer to learn how to program, you just need a computer to actually do it. You can learn about problem solving anywhere, and I find that drafting solutions is easier on paper, writing pseudocode is easier on paper, deskchecking is certainly easier on paper. But then, scripting is a totally different ball game to programming, it's more creative.Also, welcome to BZPower!

I tried that, but it felt too weird without having a computer right next to me so that I could test out what they were saying. I dunno, maybe I'll try it again. My father however, knows at least 20 different programming languages. Too bad I didn't inherit the knowledge at birth. :P Thanks for the welcome, by the way.

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

I'm trying to self-teach myself Java and Python simeltaneously currently. Haven't been able to find any good tutorials tho. There's a man at my church who does some computer programming of some sort and he offered to lend me a book on Java that he has.I use PyScripter as an IDE for Python and Netbeans as my IDE for Java. I've done very little actual work on either though.Any pointers? My short term goal is to learn enough Java to modify Minecraft, my long-term goal is game design. I hope to use the Java for Android devving as well. I was gonna do iOS devving, but noooooo, you have to have a bajillion dollar MAC to get the iOS SDK. :P

Edited by Ddude the Insane

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm. 

EDIT: Oh, m-o-d changes automatically to moderator? Weird. Well, doing challenges is a good way to learn - I learnt heaps doing NCSS - and working in a team is fantastic help. I recommend Project Euler (google it), it's a bunch of maths-related problems you need to solve by writing programs.Python's good as a first language, and if you want to get into Android development, Titanium Studio is a pretty powerful and super-easy IDE to start out with - you write apps in JavaScript, souped up by Titanium's manifold APIs. I'm writing my first app in Titanium, and when I finish I'm going to rewrite it in Java.Also it's useful to know how things work - learning about metalanguages really helps you harness the power of programming, as does, say, reading the Android docs. If you know your way around the back end, the front end is so much easier to build.Generally, books aren't as useful as practice. The web has all the syntax and functions you want, but if you just start writing something, anything, you'll learn a lot more than if you follow a book (from my experience), and it's way more fun, too. I use Eclipse for Python and Java, and Titanium (which is pretty much Eclipse with a custom theme and a Titanium perspective) for Android, but when I finish this first app I'll be moving to Eclipse for that too.

Edited by +ravrahn

if you just start writing something, anything, you'll learn a lot more than if you follow a book (from my experience), and it's way more fun, too.

I can't agree with this more. The only way to learn to program is to program. One thing I'd suggest: don't start with a big dream project. You'll get lost and frustrated. Start small. Don't just pick a tiny project and think "I'll build my dream project next" either; enjoy the task at hand. If I could do one thing differently in my early programming career, I would focus on finishing projects rather than getting bored and starting something new.

IrMSNn3.png

I exclusively blame programming for myself losing interest in Bionicle and stepping away from the forums a couple years ago. I've learned X/HTML, and CSS. Also learned C++ and SDL to start making games. Unfortunately I've been focusing on some other things since then, but I occasionally participate in weekend game development projects for fun. I like programming, it's fun :fonz:

Wow I haven't been here in a long time...