We're An Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune!
Posted by Arpy , Apr 30 2012 · 257 views
Hello, fine people! It's been a while since I've rambled to this little corner of the internet, eh? This semester has been...interesting, to say the least. Here are some of the parts of it that have actually been quite pleasant and informative. I:
- Got to go home for spring break, which was especially nice given that we determined that I’m staying at college over the summer except of course for my trip to Puerto Rico.
- Met with some librarians over said break and got some great pointers and advice.
- Also tore through several novels, including The Marriage Plot and Slaughterhouse-Five. Lots of thoughts and emotional resonance involved.
- Wrote a fairly ludicrous essay in which “Tell Me How I’m Supposed to Breathe with No Eyre” formed part of the title.
- Realized that free license to write a paper on anything I want is intoxicating. Hello, Marxist reading of Arrested Development!
- Received an anthology of Poetry for Cats and shortly gratified that thing for parodies which I have always had. “She Walks in Booties” and “Meowl” were some notables.
- Continued geeking out about Old English in a variety of ways, including bandying about tropes from our translation of Apollonius of Tyre and accidentally spelling modern English words with their older equivalents.
- Started having dreams in Spanish, albeit still with some L2 learner mistakes (which some part of me recognized as mistakes and berated my subconscious for making).
- Found out that ALA Midwinter will be practically next door to where I hope to be in January. Oh yes.
- Somehow placed second in my first-ever eating contest, and never you mind that there were only four people in it.
- Presented on factors in linguistic variation to a full room of faculty and students and whatnot. It went smashingly and you missed it. I totally should have been a ling major. :c