Meal Time with Captain Lavendar: DOUBLE BONUS RECIPE, COMPLETE MEAL EDITION
meal time food cooking
Well, I haven't posted one of these in a while, so to make up for it, I'm posting two recipes - a complete meal for your pleasure. On tonight's menu: kafta, a Lebanese dish made from ground meat; and some spiced chickpeas one the side. Mmmmm.
- 2 pounds ground beef, lamb, or other ground meat (I used beef)
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Chop the onion and sauté. Then mix all ingredients by hand, in a bowl.
Shape the mixture into long links. Since I was using half a recipe, it was enough for three links.
Grill until cooked through. You did it!
NOW FOR YOUR SIDE DISH
- 8 oz chickpeas (1 can)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (or canola, or olive)
- 1 onion
- 1 cm cinnamon stick or equivalent ground cinnamon
- 4 cloves or equivalent ground cloves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cm of fresh ginger, chopped, or equivalent amount of ground ginger or ginger paste
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped (I used huy fong garlic chili sauce, which is a vietamese chili sauce)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 cup chopped tomatoes (1 can)
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
Chop the onion and sauté until golden.
Add cinnamon and cloves and cook for a few seconds, then add garlic, ginger, chili, and coriander and cook for five minutes over medium heat
Add tomatoes (with juice) and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
Add the chickpeas and cook for five minutes, then add some water and simmer for about 25 minutes, until the liquid is gone. Then add the garam masala and cilantro. Simmer for just a little longer and you're done.
You can serve this hot or cold and it's incredibly delicious
Pair these together with some rice and you've got an A+ meal. Wasn't that easy and delicious?